Metal Storm logo
Metalcore

Original post

Posted by Arian Totalis, 20.01.2007 - 01:25
So I'm Taking Jesus Punchers Advice and Open a thread About Metalcore. Now This thread is about Metalcore in general, But I would like to Remind people that there is a difference between the crap Like Bullet for My Valantine/A7X and bands Like Shadows Fall and God Forbid. I would ask that any critisism tword this genre be Constructive, and anyone who makes unintelligent remarks will Be either Pwned by Myself or Reported to a Mod if it gets to out of hand.

But anyway, feel free to talk about some good metalcore. Nad if any of you are wondering why this is in the Alt. Metal forum, it's because I got tired of people whining at me about it. But anywho, let the discussion Commense.
01.05.2015 - 20:17
Uldreth

Written by WinterPariah on 01.05.2015 at 18:01

Ganondox and Uldreth - could either of you perhaps offer me some recommendations? I really enjoy the later Bring Me The Horizon albums, everything Architects has done since Hollow Crown, Underoath from They're Only Chasing Safety onward ... such are perhaps the most prime examples of what I really enjoy in metalcore. I am not quite sure how to describe the sound other than it's rather layered, textured and detailed with some non-metal influences integrated into the sound ...

Anyway, both of you seem quite knowledgable about the genre and its sub-genres so any help would be most appreciated! I appreciate the sub-genre information too as I was obviously rather off in my general breakdown of metalcore, haha.

For Architects, if you want something like Hollow Crown or LT//LF, try Johnny Truant, for stuff more like Daybreaker, try Northlane or Erra.

I can't recall much that sounds like BMTH's third or Architects' The Here And Now, but maybe you'd enjoy something like Jamies Elsewhere or Silverstein, and maybe even The Amity Affliction as well.

For stuff like Underoath's last three albums, try Norma Jean's albums released after O' God The Aftermath (that one and the prior one are really damn good tho, but much more dissonant), Oh, Sleeper's all three albums, Amia Venera Landscape, Hands, Trenches and Devil Sold His Soul

I have a list on this site that might get you some nice finds as well: http://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=2590.
01.05.2015 - 21:21
WinterPariah

Written by Uldreth on 01.05.2015 at 20:17

Ganondox and Uldreth - could either of you perhaps offer me some recommendations? I really enjoy the later Bring Me The Horizon albums, everything Architects has done since Hollow Crown, Underoath from They're Only Chasing Safety onward ... such are perhaps the most prime examples of what I really enjoy in metalcore. I am not quite sure how to describe the sound other than it's rather layered, textured and detailed with some non-metal influences integrated into the sound ...

Anyway, both of you seem quite knowledgable about the genre and its sub-genres so any help would be most appreciated! I appreciate the sub-genre information too as I was obviously rather off in my general breakdown of metalcore, haha.

For Architects, if you want something like Hollow Crown or LT//LF, try Johnny Truant, for stuff more like Daybreaker, try Northlane or Erra.

I can't recall much that sounds like BMTH's third or Architects' The Here And Now, but maybe you'd enjoy something like Jamies Elsewhere or Silverstein, and maybe even The Amity Affliction as well.

For stuff like Underoath's last three albums, try Norma Jean's albums released after O' God The Aftermath (that one and the prior one are really damn good tho, but much more dissonant), Oh, Sleeper's all three albums, Amia Venera Landscape, Hands, Trenches and Devil Sold His Soul

I have a list on this site that might get you some nice finds as well: http://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=2590.

First off, thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my inquiry so thoroughly. I really do appreciate it! Here's my initial feelings about the bands you mentioned:

Johnny Truant - good, perhaps a bit more "raw" than what I was expecting? The first thing I listened to of the bunch so I plan to return later to give it another shot.
Northlane - love the clean moments although the heavy stuff is a bit too "djenty" for my tastes (for lack of a better term) overall, I think.
Erra - my feelings for these guys are similar to Northlane.
Jamie's Elsewhere - not bad, although perhaps a bit too poppy maybe? The Here And Now is definitely the most accessible of Architects' albums although my likeness for that one may just be a unique love affair since I like the style of Architects quite a bit.
Silverstein - I've heard of these guys before and, as they say, it wasn't much of my cup of tea (come to think of it, I don't even like tea).
The Amity Affliction - a nice solid atmosphere present throughout the few videos I saw. It seems the material from their latest album is the best.
Norma Jean - a name I was familiar with before but for, whatever reason, never really pursued. I liked what I heard! I checked out a couple of songs other than the one you linked me to and thought they were solid so I plan to look further into these guys soon.
Oh, Sleeper - heh, now that I think about it, I don't remember much of how this band sounded. I will have to re-listen to the song you linked soon.
Amia Venera Landscape - this band was really interesting! The longer instrumental passages were unexpected just as the chaotic nature of the heavy parts were too. I need to hear the full-length.
Hands - if I recall correctly, there were some strings on the song you linked me to and a heavier vibe throughout. It was good! I need to listen to more of their material.
Trenches - really nice clean guitars and atmosphere; again, another band I need to look further into.
Devil Sold His Soul - a solid band here that had some really cool instrumental sections to their songs. I definitely plan to look into their last few releases.

Yeah, finding something like the last two Bring Me The Horizon albums has proven to be difficult. The closest example I can think of comes from a band called Burning Down Alaska that I happened upon rather randomly. No less, I like their debut EP a lot! Again, thank you for your response man, I really do appreciate it!

Oh, and I haven't checked out the Metal Storm list yet because I figure I've heard enough new material to last a day or two before I venture out for more, haha.
----

... no need to feel so afraid, colors last a lifetime and fade to gray ...
01.05.2015 - 21:23
Ganondox

I don't actually know much metalcore, I just know a bit about it from arguing with thick headed people who claim think it's not metal as they either don't know what metalcore (mistaking post-hardcore for metalcore) or hardcore (thinking metallic hardcore is just plain-old hardcore) even is, but I think you'll like While She Sleeps.
12.07.2015 - 08:56
Ganondox

Written by WinterPariah on 30.04.2015 at 21:40

Metalcore can generally be broken into two "schools" if you will, namely the bands rooted in hardcore and the bands rooted in metal. Groups like Killswitch Engage, Trivium and Shadows Fall all show strong leanings towards more traditional metal while bands like Underoath, Bring Me The Horizon and Architects show stronger hardcore leanings. I think, if someone does like metalcore, it's likely that he or she may end up prefering one school to the other. Myself, I like metalcore bands that have a rather "textured" sound, for lack of a better term, so I tend to appreciate those rooted more in hardcore since there is usually more space in the compositions for outside elements.

Okay, now that I've heard some of the stuff from BMTH's second album I know what you're getting at, it takes more from metallic hardcore than most modern metalcore bands do, same with Architects. Like the Architects vocals better though.
22.04.2022 - 09:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Updates from Jinjer

Dear Brothers and Sisters of Latin America, it is with heavy hearts and great sadness that we have to cancel our upcoming tour in May and have decided to not book any new tourdates there for the time being. Thanks to the promoters for believing in the band so much and to each and every one of you for keeping your tickets for the last two years but we do not want to ask you to hold them any longer … we promise that we will meet again one day …

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=539870707508920&set=a.287131139449546
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing