Metal Storm logo
Avantgarde black metal

Original post

Posted by , 20.05.2006 - 18:18
Hi everyone.I am looking for some new bands to listen to.I am searching for something similar to Arcturus,Dodheimsgard or Ved Buens Ende.So if any of you has any idea please post it.
13.06.2006 - 17:08
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
avant garde music is music that is experimental, unique, brings something new to the genre. doesn't necessarily have to involve keyboards or synthesisers just because arcturus and dodheimsghard do.

the first album and demo by rites of thy degringolade and anything by lust(can) are very unique. though avant garde sounds a bit pretentious for non-artsy-fartsy bands.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
14.06.2006 - 01:06
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
"doesn't necessarily have to involve keyboards or synthesisers"

Didnt say thay had to, im just pointing out that those that do often get labelled as gothic metal by mistake.
14.06.2006 - 06:07
Alfonso

Ba'al, right on the money.
----
24.06.2006 - 03:17
JoeDoom
Account deleted
Has anyone picked up the new Spektr or Jotunspor albums? They're fucking awesome so far.
24.06.2006 - 07:15
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 24.06.2006 at 03:17

Has anyone picked up the new Spektr or Jotunspor albums? They're fucking awesome so far.

Spektr was rather boring (only listgened to it once though), but I really liked Jotunspor... I got immediately interested in Jotunspor when I knew that it was sone king of Gorgoroth side-project, big Gorgoroth fan as I am, and was not dissapointed... the music they make is actually not very different to Gorgoroth, being incredibly similar in most aspects to the "Incipit Satan" album, but more deep and atmospheric... one of the good BM albums of 2006 so far...

Now, I would NEVER call any of those bands as Avant-Garde BM.
10.07.2006 - 16:22
Ruines
Account deleted
Jotunspor was pretty boring imo
24.09.2006 - 12:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Awangard BM recomandtions
Try clsic bands Emperor, Ulver and Borknogar those I think you know and had listen all are in metal storme
Now before 20 min I discovere band from Norway Quadrivium
http://www.quadrivium.nu/
there are 2 songs

If ou had chace find this bnd The Second Moon then thay are ok, i hera them in Black metal Radio but i searching albums, i thik its rear band

Before years there was home page where I dounloud Forest Myths album and band who plsy it calls Gorth from Gungardy now I check this site its down, one of ny Hungarin freind sugest me it hun
Gret awangard band

Also Samael - leither its avangard metal not Black metal, thay are here in MS

Also nowdays Arcturus

its all what I know
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.09.2006 - 12:46
Vakshay
Account deleted
Erm, perhaps Azrael. Haven't heard them myself but they're classified as AGBM (don't you love those sort of abbreviations), I plan to buy either of their fullengths sometime.
24.09.2006 - 13:24
Synn
Account deleted
vintersorg is also avante gard. they are good.
24.09.2006 - 19:21
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
An interesting recomendation is Dornenreich... they're not Black Metal anymore, but theior previous albums were an awesome mix between avant-garde BM and some neo-folk... totally recommended.
24.09.2006 - 19:41
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
recently got an album by a band called 'wold'. combines black metal with power electronics. noisey but every song is different and it does have quite an hypnotic effect.

reccomended
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
25.09.2006 - 00:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 24.09.2006 at 13:24

vintersorg is also avante gard. they are good.

where you har thgere avangard BM, i had almoust all albums, but avangard hgmm I can not hear there
----

apos;'
[image]
25.09.2006 - 01:44
john_mcc

I was very impressed with Thy Catafalque's Tuno Ido Tarlat album. You can stream it from their website http://www.thycatafalque.hu/
25.09.2006 - 08:16
Doomsower
Account deleted
Try Fleurety, Ved Buens Ende and Code. Great Bands!
27.09.2006 - 19:05
Bitch Boy

Peccatum, the band of ex-Emperor's Ihsahn and his wife Ihriel.

Dominion III, an electro melodic black metal band.
28.09.2006 - 02:01
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
Written by Bitch Boy on 27.09.2006 at 19:05

Peccatum, the band of ex-Emperor's Ihsahn and his wife Ihriel.

Fuck how I hate that band (not that I love so much anything made by Ihsahnbtw...)

and remember, one important item on the 101 rules to be Black Metal: NEVER listen to Peccatum
13.10.2006 - 13:56
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Diabolical Masquerade are awesome, Vintersorg is pretty avant-garde, hmmm, how about Borknagar? They're pretty avant-garde too. Oh, and can't forget Arcturus, or Fleurety.
13.10.2006 - 14:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 13.10.2006 at 13:56

hmmm, how about Borknagar? They're pretty avant-garde too.

Well I agree and dont agree, early albums was more black how avangard, byt leither ok its avangard, but same time it can be black

about Diabolic Mascarade, I know name I know thay are famouse, but I hawnt hear them
----

apos;'
[image]
13.10.2006 - 14:08
Vidrageon
Account deleted
I heartily recommend Diabolical Masquerade if you want avant-garde :> Band by Blakkheim (Bloodbath, Katatonia), with some help from Swanö.
13.10.2006 - 14:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 13.10.2006 at 14:08

I heartily recommend Diabolical Masquerade if you want avant-garde :> Band by Blakkheim (Bloodbath, Katatonia), with some help from Swanö.

Oh maybe I had hear something, I can imagibe how many albums tahy had and I had read lyrics its great, but maybe i had hear some smaples or them in BMRadio, but albums
----

apos;'
[image]
13.10.2006 - 14:28
Vidrageon
Account deleted
He has a few, the most well known is probably Death's Design, but there's Ravendusk in my Heart, The Phantom Lodge and Nightwork released too, they're all brilliant, weird, awesome albums :>
13.10.2006 - 17:34
Humanoid
Account deleted

so... anyways ... check this out => http://www.umbrtka.com/
13.10.2006 - 18:22
Priest Of Hex
Account deleted
I'm really not that familiar with "Avantgard" Black Metal bands so to speak, but if I could recommend one Black Metal album that I think defines "Avantgard" it would be Burzum's 'Hvis Lyset tar Oss'.
13.10.2006 - 18:31
Damnated
Churchburner
what do you mean by 'defines avantgade?'
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
15.10.2006 - 02:44
Priest Of Hex
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 13.10.2006 at 18:31

Are you seriously telling me you need me to answer this for you? I meant it gives a good definition, presents a good example of what "Avantgarde" should/could sound like...
16.10.2006 - 17:57
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 15.10.2006 at 02:44

Written by Damnated on 13.10.2006 at 18:31

Are you seriously telling me you need me to answer this for you? I meant it gives a good definition, presents a good example of what "Avantgarde" should/could sound like...

if one album deines avantgarde, then everything else isn't avantgarde. Avantgarde is the term that can't be defined, as everything wich is new is avantgarde, and viceversa. Avantgarde doesn't have a familiar sound, nor a pattern.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
16.10.2006 - 20:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
You all shood tr this band ''Variabel Parabel'' thay are from sweden its more ambient Bm and band are from Pitea town, far far nort 50km from place where I spend summer so I hear bouth demo tapes ''Below the Photic Zone'' and ''Nameless Aphotic Grave, pt. 1'' I voud say its awsome, werry great band and talanted too
----

apos;'
[image]
02.11.2006 - 18:43
Damnated
Churchburner
Does anyone know anything about US avantgard bm band Azrael? I heard one song, from a compilation, wich sounded good, but I read some bashing reviews about this band. so? anyone?
----

06.11.2006 - 14:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 02.11.2006 at 18:43

Does anyone know anything about US avantgard bm band Azrael? I heard one song, from a compilation, wich sounded good, but I read some bashing reviews about this band. so? anyone?

I know 2 songs
''Into Shadows'' and ''Unseen Emptiness'' its all
----

apos;'
[image]
07.11.2006 - 02:39
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I am currently listening to Solefald. I am not sure if anyone has suggested them yet as I haven't read every single post, but they certainly have a unique sound to them. A sound that you could definitely label "Avant Garde" Black Metal. Anyone a fan?
----
The force will be with you, always.