Metal Storm logo
The Agonist - New Song And Lyric Video Released

Start your weekend by listening to The Agonist. After teasing it, the Canadian metalcore/melodic death metal band has released a lyric video for a new song from their upcoming album featuring new Greek vocalist Vicky Psarakis. The song's name is "Disconnect Me" and you can listen to it below. With their former vocalist Alissa White-Gluz now in Arch Enemy, how do you like Vicky Psarakis and this new material from the group?

This new single will be on sale at iTunes on April 28th (Europe) and April 29th (US).

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: The Agonist
Posted: 22.03.2014 by BloodJuNkie

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 24   Visited by: 198 users
22.03.2014 - 15:35
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Sounds like a Soilwork song. The new singers gutturals are nice. I could care less about the cleans though.
22.03.2014 - 15:57
psykometal
A staff guy...
Yup. The Agonist are going to be just fine. Her growls are almost spot on like Alissa's (so much so I'd think it was still Alissa growling if I didn't know about the vocalist change). Her cleans are good too, granted I prefer Alissa's clean singing because hers are way more unique, but Vicky's are good enough.

All in all it seems The Agonist are still on track to having a better future than Arch Enemy, especially now that they have the drama/publicity of this whole vocalist change to help bring them more attention and more fans.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

22.03.2014 - 16:01
angel.
Evil Butterfly
what the hell is this shit !
----
The Fangirl.
22.03.2014 - 16:03
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
The songwriting on this sounds a lot more bland than I recall The Agonist usually sounding. I remember enjoying Prisoners and Lullabies For The Dormant Mind, but I guess I should try listening to them again to see if that still holds true. Ignoring The Agonist's past, I'd say this song is dull, uninteresting, uninspired, and pretty generic sounding.
22.03.2014 - 16:07
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Alex F on 22.03.2014 at 16:03

The songwriting on this sounds a lot more bland than I recall The Agonist usually sounding. I remember enjoying Prisoners and Lullabies For The Dormant Mind, but I guess I should try listening to them again to see if that still holds true. Ignoring The Agonist's past, I'd say this song is dull, uninteresting, uninspired, and pretty generic sounding.

And these clean vocals are out of place for such music.
----
The Fangirl.
22.03.2014 - 16:34
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I find it hard to believe that people out there actually enjoy this but I guess it takes all kinds to make the world go 'round.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.03.2014 - 16:38
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Damn... Did not like the cleans at all. The growls are okaysh and the song itself is just not what I expected from them. :\
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
22.03.2014 - 18:03
Zadion

Funny enough, this is the first song from The Agonist I liked. The main reason I hated The Agonist before was because Alyssa is an awful vocalist, IMO. Loving the vocals here.
22.03.2014 - 19:04
Dargor

I just found a version of Thank You Pain with Vicky, sound pretty good IMO. I like both equally.

22.03.2014 - 20:10
athena

Written by Dargor on 22.03.2014 at 19:04

I just found a version of Thank You Pain with Vicky, sound pretty good IMO. I like both equally.

Who made the creepy psychotic picture-altering video? Tell me it wasn't Vicky...
22.03.2014 - 20:41
angel.
Evil Butterfly
^ the video is really crappy !
----
The Fangirl.
23.03.2014 - 01:00
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

Nothing I've ever heard from this band has been even remotely enjoyable. And this isn't much different. And what are the odds that they were able to find another female vocalist with cleans as pitchy as Alissa's?
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
23.03.2014 - 01:03
J. N.
Account deleted
Here's her YouTube channel with a bunch of covers.

http://www.youtube.com/user/vickypsaraki
23.03.2014 - 02:33
knightlightning

Ummmm, at the beginning the guitars sounded to me similar to Blinded By Fear from At The Gates?... probably I need my medication back!
23.03.2014 - 10:11
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Guest on 23.03.2014 at 01:03

Here's her YouTube channel with a bunch of covers.

http://www.youtube.com/user/vickypsaraki

Oh, hmmm I always loved her cover of Slaying The Dreamer.
----
The Fangirl.
24.03.2014 - 00:21
Stunning Cactus

So far:

Arch Enemy - 0
The Agonist - 1
24.03.2014 - 05:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I'd give them both a -1 at this point.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.03.2014 - 06:22
Shmyt

Its not bad, its not great, rather monotonous at times i thought her "thank you pain" was better than this but hey, maybe they gave us the crappy one so its all up hill from here? (though i highly doubt that) I really liked the guitar work at the end and wished it were louder throughout (maybe they toned it back to give vicky the spotlight but wrong move imo) but the lyrics were just so so. nothing new to see here.
24.03.2014 - 12:28
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by deadone on 24.03.2014 at 05:46

I always wonder if this shit would sell if it didn't have hot chicks in it.

Avenged Sevenfold, Asking Alexandria, iwabo and Black Veil Brides sell tons of albums and they have no hot chicks.

*Not the same music, but the example still holds merit that shit music will sell regardless of the front person's gender and "hotness" factor.
----

25.03.2014 - 14:39
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by deadone on 25.03.2014 at 00:02

Dunno about those others as I've never heard of them.

You're not missing anything. Lol.

-Asking Alexandria is Metalcore with heavy trance sequences (also dubbed "trancecore").
-iwabo (or iwrestledabearonce) is a rather stupid, chaotic blend of Metalcore, jazz, lounge and screamo. And their motto is "metal just got gay".
-Black Veil Brides plays Metalcore with heavy Glam influence (also dubbed "glamcore").
----

26.03.2014 - 00:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by deadone on 26.03.2014 at 00:18
Oh dear. Thanks for advising me to stay away.

I was sitting back waiting for you to check them out yourself to see what you had to say but psyko ruined it.
----
26.03.2014 - 00:39
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by deadone on 26.03.2014 at 00:18

Oh dear. Thanks for advising me to stay away.

No problem.
----

28.03.2014 - 18:08
Diksy

12.05.2014 - 20:08
the_scarecrow

As much as I like Alissa, I don't blame the guys in The Agonist for, allegedly, kicking her out.
It seemed Alissa was committing more time into other projects (touring with Kamelot) than committing to her own band.
That said, of course individuals are allowed to have other projects, why shouldn't they?

However, Alissa stated that she would have managed to maintain her status in both bands at once, except her former band weren't having any of it.
Let's face it, Arch Enemy are a fairly big band: they tour constantly, and so, in return, would require the majority of Alissa's time.
Meaning, unless The Agonist became AE's supporting act, the guys in The Agonist would have to wait around for Alissa to give them her secondary attention. Of course they wouldn't stand for that.

Both parties will prove better off doing their own thing: AE and Alissa, and The Agonist and Vicky, whom, might I add, has an exceptional clean vocal style. I'm looking forward to The Agonist's future more so than AE's, now.

Hits total: 3464 | This month: 5