Metal Storm logo
Your last blind purchase

24.03.2014 - 03:26
MetalDoomMaster

What was the last album you bought without knowing anything about the band? Mine was Trinacria's Travel Now Journey Infinitely. I got it because I saw it had members of Enslaved and for $1.12 I couldn't pass it up. I had high hopes for it, but I thought it was kind of shit. The noise elements were terribly shoved into the mix, although I did like the last track.

So what was yours? Was it worth it?
24.03.2014 - 03:59
MetalDoomMaster

Written by deadone on 24.03.2014 at 03:34

And a great reminder of why I shouldn't go for blind/near blind purchases as they seldom are any good.

haha, yeah I always think "I'm going to regret this", but I always do it anyway haha
24.03.2014 - 04:44
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
About a year ago or so I bought Niki and the Dove's full-length debut without ever having listened to them before. Wasn't surprised or disappointed but not something I'd do regularly. Usually the only "blind" purchases I get are throw-ins by labels for big orders.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.03.2014 - 07:28
no one
Account deleted
Think my last blind purchase was Agalloch "ashes against the grain", though i couldn't really go wrong as i liked all there other stuff and had only heard good things

The last real blind purchase was probably a "Black hate" album Years of solitude. Yeah it turned out to be pretty shit, but was almost worth the buy for i was fascinated at how grueling and depressive this album was. Basically a lot of listening to some sad soul scream in pain.
24.03.2014 - 15:22
MetalDoomMaster

Written by deadone on 24.03.2014 at 07:42

There is a market for this kind of thing?!?

I've usually found that any album that actually has a lot of emotion put into it is worth a listen.
24.03.2014 - 18:30
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Don't think I've had any real blind purchases before. The closest I can think of is when I bought Insomniums Above The Weeping World and Since The Day It All Came Down, after listening a couple of songs only. Was also fascinated by the artwork
24.03.2014 - 19:05
fandango68

Yeah, I'm 45 so you can imagine I've had more than my fair share of blind purchases which have underachieved, stretching all the way back to the early '80's when to buy a dud LP was a big deal, as it would have been a sizeable chunk of my monthly 'pocketmoney'.

I had a great experience recently however... Without Face: Astromonicon... this was Julie Kiss (To Mera)'s second album by her first band, in Hungary. Picked it up on Amazon for 24p and it really is very accomplished... it's had a lot of airplays. More melodic and structurally more simple than To Mera, it's more female fronted Symph/ Prog metal with a difference... check it out!
----
First gig was Manowar (loincloths 'n' all), Bristol Colston Hall in March 1983, on the 'Hail to England' tour. Tickets were £3.75, 300 in the audience, Mercyful Fate never showed, but my hearing still got seriously trashed..
25.03.2014 - 02:49
MetalDoomMaster

Written by Fallen Ghost on 24.03.2014 at 18:30

Above The Weeping World and Since The Day It All Came Down

That would be a pretty good one. My best blind purchase by far was Opeth's Blackwater Park I saw it used for $4 and knew they were supposed to be good, and now they are one of my favorites.
25.03.2014 - 08:00
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Written by MetalDoomMaster on 25.03.2014 at 02:49

Written by Fallen Ghost on 24.03.2014 at 18:30

Above The Weeping World and Since The Day It All Came Down

That would be a pretty good one. My best blind purchase by far was Opeth's Blackwater Park I saw it used for $4 and knew they were supposed to be good, and now they are one of my favorites.

It was indeed! Nice one on the Opeth, it took some time for me to get into them, but when one finally does, it's just brilliant
25.03.2014 - 13:14
toxx
Supreme being
I rarely buy stuff without knowing what it sounds like first. Last time I did, I was actually surprised in a positive way. I bought the first two Witchcraft albums, and they turned out to be epic!
25.03.2014 - 17:03
MetalDoomMaster

Written by toxx on 25.03.2014 at 13:14

I rarely buy stuff without knowing what it sounds like first. Last time I did, I was actually surprised in a positive way. I bought the first two Witchcraft albums, and they turned out to be epic!

Haha, I was actually thinking about buying those, but I didn't because I had no idea what it was, you may have just persuaded me to do it though haha
26.03.2014 - 05:44
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
I bought Weekend Nachos' Still and it was pretty good, hardcore/grind stuff. the Shrine's Bless Off which is a stoner metal/rock band. Good stuff, especially to skate to.
27.03.2014 - 18:58
The Hammer33

I can't even remember the name of the most recent blind purchase a made (it was that bad).

But my best ever blind purchase would also be Opeth - Blackwater Park. 13 years ago I went to the CD store looking for something new ( at the time I was into Linkin Park, Tool, Creed, etc.) I strolled into the metal section and found BWP. I bought it based on the cover art and a review sticker on it that said "Opeth - the most innovative, inventive band in metal today"

Listened to it that night and was blown away... that album opened my eyes to the entire extreme metal scene... I then started with the bands listed in the liner notes and so on...
27.03.2014 - 19:44
MetalDoomMaster

Written by The Hammer33 on 27.03.2014 at 18:58

I can't even remember the name of the most recent blind purchase a made (it was that bad).

But my best ever blind pruchase would also be Opeth - Blackwater Park. 13 years ago I went to the CD store looking for something new ( at the time I was into Linkin Park, Tool, Creed, etc.) I strolled into the metal section and found BWP. I bought it based on the cover art and a review sticker on it that said "Opeth - the most innovative, inventive band in metal today"

Listened to it that night and was blown away... that album opened my eyes to the entire extreme metal scene... I then started with the bands listed in the liner notes and so on...

Haha, that is really awesome. Opeth is also the band that got me into more progressive stuff.
30.03.2014 - 14:04
ToMegaTherion

Like Thieves a newish Aussie band. I bought an EP of theirs having no idea what it sounded like. Turned out to be the best purchase of my last Sydney trip. Great Find.
31.03.2014 - 08:07
MetalDoomMaster

The only store within 200 miles of where I live just stopped selling metal so it looks like I won't be making many purchases anymore
31.03.2014 - 09:10
no one
Account deleted
Written by MetalDoomMaster on 31.03.2014 at 08:07

The only store within 200 miles of where I live just stopped selling metal so it looks like I won't be making many purchases anymore

that's weird, onlines usually cheaper anyway.
31.03.2014 - 16:11
MetalDoomMaster

Written by Guest on 31.03.2014 at 09:10

that's weird, onlines usually cheaper anyway.

I have this weird fetish with only wanting to buy things in shops haha, I like hunting for cds.
31.03.2014 - 22:37
no one
Account deleted
Written by MetalDoomMaster on 31.03.2014 at 16:11

I have this weird fetish with only wanting to buy things in shops haha, I like hunting for cds.

fair enough, i used to like that too, but i too often spend the day searching without much to show for it
01.04.2014 - 21:50
Lit.
Account deleted
Do not see the point in buying stuff blindly. Seems like too much of a gamble of wasting your money.

That being said, I think the only album I've ever blindly bought was Between The Buried And Me's Colors.
01.04.2014 - 21:56
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I buy a lot of albums based on what I've heard as of recommendations, cool band name, or album art etc. Most of the time it's from second hand shops, so I'm not paying more than a few bucks, so it's no big loss if I don't like it. Plus new cds always look nice on my shelf.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.04.2014 - 01:15
MetalDoomMaster

Yeah, I usually only make blind purchases if the price is low enough so i don't want to kill myself if it sucks.
02.04.2014 - 01:27
no one
Account deleted
Written by MetalDoomMaster on 02.04.2014 at 01:15

Yeah, I usually only make blind purchases if the price is low enough so i don't want to kill myself if it sucks.

i don't usually want to kill myself if it sucks, just sell it off, or sometimes over a long period of time i might come to like it
02.04.2014 - 01:38
MetalDoomMaster

Written by Guest on 02.04.2014 at 01:27

i don't usually want to kill myself if it sucks, just sell it off, or sometimes over a long period of time i might come to like it

The store I get most of my cds at only buys stuff for like 10-20 percent of the price they are going to sell it for so it's usually not worth it. Plus eBay is too much work to make it worth it.
02.04.2014 - 01:51
no one
Account deleted
Written by MetalDoomMaster on 02.04.2014 at 01:38

The store I get most of my cds at only buys stuff for like 10-20 percent of the price they are going to sell it for so it's usually not worth it. Plus eBay is too much work to make it worth it.

yeah don't go to cds stores they rip you the fuck off, it's probably harder to drive to the music store than put something on e-bay, but everyone to themselves
02.04.2014 - 01:57
MetalDoomMaster

Written by Guest on 02.04.2014 at 01:51

yeah don't go to cds stores they rip you the fuck off, it's probably harder to drive to the music store than put something on e-bay, but everyone to themselves

Yeah, I'm with you on that one. I don't understand how they can sell used cds with like cracks and shit in them for $10+
02.04.2014 - 02:57
no one
Account deleted
Written by MetalDoomMaster on 02.04.2014 at 01:57

Yeah, I'm with you on that one. I don't understand how they can sell used cds with like cracks and shit in them for $10+

Speaking more just for my local store, i can understand they need to make a bit of money, but not just outright rip people off, and then they have a cry because there going under. It's like they don't realize the internet has been invented
02.04.2014 - 03:16
Snake? Snaaaake!
Account deleted
Morbus Chron Swewen. Probably the best blind buy i will ever make.