03. The Cold March To Eternal Brightness
04. Drifting Through Moss And Ancient Stone

Disc II [Eternity]
01. The Spiral Fountain
02. A Rider In The Lands Of An Infinite Dreamscape
03. Cosmic Significance

Additional info
Artwork by Benjamin Vierling.

Well this is definitely an album for the one man fanatics like myself if I ever heard one. Admittedly not as good as the previous Sentinel, but the drop in quality is very minimal, and Nihilus Ayloss continues to deliver in spades. Raw and hard hitting, but also interspersed with plenty of dreamy and mesmerizing undercurrents, to create a feeling not too unlike floating in some sort of otherwordly, cosmic ocean. "The Veiled Garden" in particular is nothing short of mindblowing.

LISTEN.

Apothecary's picks | More picks ››
Bandcamp music player

Found in 18 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 45   Visited by: 350 users
27.03.2014 - 22:51
Rating: 10
strade
Man I can't wait to get my mitts on this. And gorgeous cover art as always.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
08.04.2014 - 05:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by strade on 27.03.2014 at 22:51

Have you heard it yet? I'm gonna give it a go tomorrow morning once I'm back from work.

http://spectrallore.bandcamp.com/album/iii
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.04.2014 - 05:56
strade
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.04.2014 at 05:16

Have you heard it yet? I'm gonna give it a go tomorrow morning once I'm back from work.

Only two songs have actually been released, it seems. I can't seem to get a definitive release date for this album anywhere, unfortunately, though it's definitely finished (and hopefully awesome) by the looks of this review: http://autothrall.blogspot.com/2014/03/spectral-lore-iii-2014.html
----
08.04.2014 - 11:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I never really give these guys' albums the time they deserve. I'll make sure this one gets my full attention.
02.05.2014 - 03:05
Fearmeister
Account deleted
This is really beautiful. Fucking love it!
02.05.2014 - 09:19
Rating: 9
Skyum
Indeed, this album is absolutely stunning.
02.05.2014 - 10:33
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.04.2014 at 05:16

Holy shit I didn't even know it was out yet (I knew they were working on it but not that it was done). I loved their previous one. Will check this out asap.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.05.2014 - 17:58
Erik M.
Quite possibly the most interesting album of 2014, so far. And easily one of the very best.

It's truly massive with its 1 hour and 27 minutes length and just 7 songs. But the music really remains interesting because there's plenty of variety going on: beautiful relaxing ambient/atmospheric soundscapes and pure raw black metal parts. It all sounds fantastic.
02.05.2014 - 17:58
Erik M.
Written by Guest on 08.04.2014 at 11:27

I never really give these guys' albums the time they deserve. I'll make sure this one gets my full attention.

That'll take you a while seeing as this album is so massive. But if you ask me it's really worth it.
02.05.2014 - 18:27
scaesura
This album is incredible. He's finally figured out the production completely, and the songwriting is tighter than ever. Masterful.
02.05.2014 - 18:45
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Erik M. on 02.05.2014 at 17:58

It's truly massive with its 1 hour and 27 minutes length and just 7 songs.

I don't think any album will impress me length-wise now that I've heard a couple of two hour+ albums (until someone hits three hours and makes it good). Music-wise i'd say this is great, but not quite as good as Sentinel. An impressive album nonetheless
02.05.2014 - 19:25
Rating: 8
Góral
Combo Breaker
Personally, my best SL's album so far. Gorgeous stuff.
02.05.2014 - 19:34
Erik M.
Written by Alex F on 02.05.2014 at 18:45

I don't think any album will impress me length-wise now that I've heard a couple of two hour+ albums (until someone hits three hours and makes it good). Music-wise i'd say this is great, but not quite as good as Sentinel. An impressive album nonetheless

Seems like strange reasoning to me. Just because you've heard 2 hour or longer albums doesn't mean an album of nearly 1,5 hours can't be impressive length-wise. It's still very long, after all.

I've heard both Sentinel and this one just once and my first impression is that this one is a lot better. Obviously it's just an impression so I'd need to spin both a couple of times to make sure.
02.05.2014 - 20:46
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 02.05.2014 at 19:34

Written by Alex F on 02.05.2014 at 18:45

Seems like strange reasoning to me. Just because you've heard 2 hour or longer albums doesn't mean an album of nearly 1,5 hours can't be impressive length-wise. It's still very long, after all.

I've heard both Sentinel and this one just once and my first impression is that this one is a lot better. Obviously it's just an impression so I'd need to spin both a couple of times to make sure.

To me, the length itself isn't impressive, its the amount of content that in this 90 min album that's impressive. This is something that I could spin a a bunch of times and find something new every time
03.05.2014 - 17:00
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Mind-blowing, so enjoyable and at the same sort of fresh tunes, every song has its own identity and it's not just an album of monotonous repeating and similar songs.
----
The Fangirl.
04.05.2014 - 00:36
strade
Replete with beautiful melodies? Check. Loaded with intricate, precise riffs? Check. A shoe in for BM album of the year and a veritable candidate for overall AOTY? Double check.

This is amazing.
----
04.05.2014 - 21:13
PocketMetal
Oh god, I didn't even know he was releasing a new album. I love Sentinel, gonna listen to this asap.
05.05.2014 - 09:16
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Good album but it's too fucking long. There's no reason why he couldn't have trimmed out at least 20 minutes. Contrary to popular belief having a long album doesn't make the music any better, nor does it give you any more of a higher status for sitting through the whole thing.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
05.05.2014 - 17:29
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Boxcar Willy on 05.05.2014 at 09:16

Good album but it's too fucking long. There's no reason why he couldn't have trimmed out at least 20 minutes. Contrary to popular belief having a long album doesn't make the music any better, nor does it give you any more of a higher status for sitting through the whole thing.

I actually think this warrants the length, but it is very true that some people think lengthier albums are automatically better
05.05.2014 - 18:38
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Huh? who thinks longer albums = better?
----
loves 小巫
05.05.2014 - 19:06
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Ag Fox on 05.05.2014 at 18:38

Funeral doom.

...And maybe Exodus.
06.05.2014 - 01:26
Fearmeister
Account deleted

Well, you're getting 2 albums worth of music for the price of 1. How is that not a good thing? Its not like you have to listen to both discs at the same time.
06.05.2014 - 01:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted

Contrary to popular belief having a long album doesn't make the music any better, nor does it give you any more of a higher status for sitting through the whole thing.

If the popular opinion thinks longer albums are better (if that's indeed true, I've only seen a few people say that here and there) than surely that's just what people think, so they can't be wrong in that respect.
06.05.2014 - 01:42
strade
If I'm receiving music of this quality, I won't turn down a surplus of content. While I do tend to prefer concise efforts, I feel this album justifies its length and then some.

Also, no one says you have to listen to the entire thing every time. Sometimes I play just one of the two discs if the mood strikes me. Then, when I have the time, the immersion of experiencing the full album is just that much sweeter.
----
06.05.2014 - 23:57
Erik M.
Written by Ag Fox on 05.05.2014 at 18:38

Well, I'd rather have a 70 minute album that's excellent as a whole than a 40 minute album that's also excellent as a whole. The former is then better, probably. Of course longer isn't automatically better, but when it's music that you like a lot, then I'd say longer = better.
Erik M.
Written by Guest on 06.05.2014 at 01:26

Well, you're getting 2 albums worth of music for the price of 1. How is that not a good thing? Its not like you have to listen to both discs at the same time.

Indeed.
Erik M.
Written by Guest on 06.05.2014 at 01:34

If the popular opinion thinks longer albums are better (if that's indeed true, I've only seen a few people say that here and there) than surely that's just what people think, so they can't be wrong in that respect.

True, but to me it depends on the kind of music how long an album should be. Imagine having a 1,5 hour thrash record? But in most cases I really prefer a length of 50-70 minutes. That's not often too short or too long.

Btw, surprised you only rated this a 7. I expected it to be your cup of tea.
07.05.2014 - 00:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 06.05.2014 at 23:57

True, but to me it depends on the kind of music how long an album should be. Imagine having a 1,5 hour thrash record? But in most cases I really prefer a length of 50-70 minutes. That's not often too short or too long.

Btw, surprised you only rated this a 7. I expected it to be your cup of tea.

I think the record is decent, but there's something about their sound and approach which I don't think justifies the length. Basically I didn't find it varied enough and the tone of the record wasn't exactly what I enjoy. If the songs were shorter I might have scored it higher.

As for long thrash albums, well, if Sabbat can pull off an hour long song of blackened thrash and be totally brilliant at it then anything's possible xD
07.05.2014 - 18:18
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Had to see what this was about. I like the use of ambient textures and acoustic guitar.
----
rekt
08.05.2014 - 07:44
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Erik M. on 02.05.2014 at 17:58

Quite possibly the most interesting album of 2014, so far. And easily one of the very best.

I'm pretty split between this, Lux Occulta, and the Sunn O))) collab at the moment myself. By the way, methinks this would be a good album for your One Man Metal list, assuming you don't already have any Spectral Lore in there
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII

Hits total: 8315 | This month: 22