10. Take Shelter

Tour Edition bonus tracks:
11. The Lost Song Part 1 [Acoustic in Session - Liverpool Parr Street Studios]
12. Ariel [Acoustic in Session - Liverpool Parr Street Studios]
13. The Lost Song Part 3 [Acoustic in Session - Liverpool Parr Street Studios]
14. Firelight [Acoustic in Session - Liverpool Parr Street Studios]
15. Anathema [Live at Liverpool Cathedral]

Additional info
Recorded Christer-André Cederberg at Cederberg Studios in Oslo, Norway.

Guest review by
Boris_Pembroke
Rating:
Anathema adopt a less rock-oriented approach, with added electronic elements for interesting but mixed results.

Read more ››
published 01.01.2016 | Comments (1)

Guest review by
WayTooManyCDs
Rating:
Anathema, Opeth, Mastodon, Ihsahn, and numerous other major artists are all moving out of the metal scene. Many of their newer works are receiving lower scores for not being "metal enough" and going too far outside of the acceptable boundaries of fans of their earlier work. Is the mixed reception for Distant Satellites another result of this phenomenon? In my opinion, yes.

Read more ››
published 27.06.2016 | Comments (0)

Found in 32 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 70   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 889 users
28.06.2014 - 03:28
Rating: 9
EtaArgus
Growing on me more and more. At first I didn't connect with the electronic part at all, now Distant Satellites and Take Shelter are into my favourites.
27.07.2014 - 10:20
Rating: 6
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Listened to this in its entirety. Co-Disappointment of the year for me. Expecting so much more. Songs are really bland. Nothing catchy, nothing stands out. Not even the electronic elements in the last two songs will make me want to replay this. It's just a bit above average. So bummed out...
----
rekt
01.08.2014 - 15:32
Rating: 7
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Written by tea[m]ster on 27.07.2014 at 10:20

Listened to this in its entirety. Co-Disappointment of the year for me. Expecting so much more. Songs are really bland. Nothing catchy, nothing stands out. Not even the electronic elements in the last two songs will make me want to replay this. It's just a bit above average. So bummed out...

Exactly my emotions, pal. I was expecting so much more from Anathema, knowing what music they are capable of writing.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
01.08.2014 - 17:23
Rating: 8
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I don't know if disappointed is the right word, but I don't exactly feel satisfied with it either. For inoffensive background music with a calming atmosphere, this is definitely something I'd recommend. It doesn't require any effort on behalf of the listener and is in no way engaging. I think it's the songwriting. Too much emphasis on atmosphere and trying to establish a feeling of serenity, not enough substance to demand your attention.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.08.2014 - 21:59
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by NocturnalStalker on 01.08.2014 at 15:32

Exactly my emotions, pal. I was expecting so much more from Anathema, knowing what music they are capable of writing.

Troy nailed it. If this was the first album they ever wrote it would be terrific. But the last couple of albums have been so good that my expectations were so high. Those albums have great replay value because there is so much to listen to in each song. This album misses those ingredients.
----
rekt
01.08.2014 - 22:20
Yavanna
Geez, I have been off-line for so long I did not even see this one being released
Gotta check it out
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand
02.08.2014 - 09:58
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Written by tea[m]ster on 01.08.2014 at 21:59

Troy nailed it. If this was the first album they ever wrote it would be terrific. But the last couple of albums have been so good that my expectations were so high. Those albums have great replay value because there is so much to listen to in each song. This album misses those ingredients.

I agree. I would compare this album to the calm sea. The waves flow lazily and you can just float on water without any effort on your part and relax. I remember listening to Untouchable (Part 1) for the first time, and it was like a wave hitting me hard in the face, such strong feelings and emotions it conveyed. That's exactly what I miss, while listening to Distant Satellites. It's a good record nevertheless.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
02.08.2014 - 11:49
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I don't agree with the general opinion on Distant Satellites. I guess I'm the minority here

I felt like Anathema conveyed emotion and strong feelings just as much here as on the previous two albums. I'm starting to like it more than Weather Systems actually. I've been listening to this album a lot.

I might agree that maybe the first song isn't as impactful as Untouchable (Part 1) but the album grows and gets better as you go. You just need to discover it.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
03.08.2014 - 07:21
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by BloodTears on 02.08.2014 at 11:49

but the album grows and gets better as you go. You just need to discover it.

I don't know if I have the time or patience to give it multiple listens. Maybe I owe it to them - cause of their last two albums.
----
rekt
03.08.2014 - 08:34
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I don't think it's a bad album - in fact I think it's better than the utterly boring Weather Systems, it's just that I wanted something more engaging and thought-provoking again. This is more along the lines of something I'd leave on in the background while working on my novel. The emotion is there. They do a good job of conveying a sorrowful atmosphere. It just feels as though it's done in a roundabout way.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.08.2014 - 02:33
Rating: 10
Soheil KD
Another masterpiece
06.08.2014 - 03:40
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.08.2014 at 08:34

I don't think it's a bad album - in fact I think it's better than the utterly boring Weather Systems, it's just that I wanted something more engaging and thought-provoking again. This is more along the lines of something I'd leave on in the background while working on my novel. The emotion is there. They do a good job of conveying a sorrowful atmosphere. It just feels as though it's done in a roundabout way.

On that we disagree - so far I'd rate Weather systems far higher than distant sattelites. This album ain't bad, but it's... awkward, somehow. The electronic parts are, well, not that entrancing, I'm sure that they can do better, while the first half of the album has an "already heard" vibe (in the last two, yes Weather Systems )
In the end, it does feel like a transition album - somehow like Eternity was but a chrysalis for Alternative 4 and Judgement. We'll see what the future will hold, but if they keep on going in that electronic direction, they'd better do it, well, better
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
06.08.2014 - 19:17
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Darkside Momo on 06.08.2014 at 03:40

In the end, it does feel like a transition album

Yea, the transition that Steve Wilson isn't writing their music anymore...
----
rekt
06.08.2014 - 20:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
In the end, it does feel like a transition album - somehow like Eternity was but a chrysalis for Alternative 4 and Judgement.

Based on how they progressed after that, I'm willing to bet their next album will only sound better.
----
06.08.2014 - 22:39
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by tea[m]ster on 06.08.2014 at 19:17

In the end, it does feel like a transition album

Yea, the transition that Steve Wilson isn't writing their music anymore...

Never had the feeling he wrote their music, tbh
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.08.2014 at 20:12

In the end, it does feel like a transition album - somehow like Eternity was but a chrysalis for Alternative 4 and Judgement.

Based on how they progressed after that, I'm willing to bet their next album will only sound better.

Fingers crossed! (even if I'm not hoping for a masterpiece)
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
06.08.2014 - 23:44
Monolithic
♠♠♠
I kinda feel it's far from being thought-provoking or impressive.
08.08.2014 - 19:41
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite

Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.08.2014 at 08:34

On that we disagree - so far I'd rate Weather systems far higher than distant sattelites. This album ain't bad, but it's... awkward, somehow. The electronic parts are, well, not that entrancing, I'm sure that they can do better, while the first half of the album has an "already heard" vibe (in the last two, yes Weather Systems )
In the end, it does feel like a transition album - somehow like Eternity was but a chrysalis for Alternative 4 and Judgement. We'll see what the future will hold, but if they keep on going in that electronic direction, they'd better do it, well, better

I think you might be right on this. It does seem like they are going on a different direction and may be setting something up, a transition. It's funny that they have a song called "Anathema" now too, but it seems more of a love letter to fans, at least that's how I saw that track.
----

My Instagram
17.08.2014 - 10:27
ke ke
Anathema metal band does not exist anymore.This album is some kind of rock music that has no relation to metal.I call it "shit rock".shit rock is a kind of rock that you sing a love song and name it "anathema".This genre has a new definition of lyrics.for example this is lyric:
"Never could be what you want to be
Never could say what you want to say
Never could be what you want to be
You're not alone"

note:if you love shit rock,kill yourself!
17.08.2014 - 13:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by ke ke on 17.08.2014 at 10:27

Anathema metal band does not exist anymore.This album is some kind of rock music that has no relation to metal.I call it "shit rock".shit rock is a kind of rock that you sing a love song and name it "anathema".This genre has a new definition of lyrics.for example this is lyric:
You're not alone"

Apparently you will have to kill yurselff since you rated this album a 7. Which means you consider it a good album.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.08.2014 - 14:58
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
note: a small part of me died reading that comment. So I suppose it's convenient I'm already part way dead.
17.08.2014 - 16:35
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by R'Vannith on 17.08.2014 at 14:58

note: a small part of me died reading that comment. So I suppose it's convenient I'm already part way dead.

I'm dead too, so who cares? Anyway, Better Off Dead (good cover Anathema by the way)
----

My Instagram
17.08.2014 - 17:27
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by BloodTears on 17.08.2014 at 16:35

I'm dead too, so who cares? Anyway, Better Off Dead (good cover Anathema by the way)

Phew. We've been saved by the band's music once again (even if we're in a state of death, so be it).
18.08.2014 - 08:46
ke ke
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.08.2014 at 13:25

You're not alone"

Apparently you will have to kill yurselff since you rated this album a 7. Which means you consider it a good album.

I still love anathema. couldn't rate it less than 7. my real vote is 4.
18.08.2014 - 10:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by ke ke on 18.08.2014 at 08:46

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.08.2014 at 13:25

You're not alone"

If your real vote is 4 then you should give it a 4 and not a 7 just because you love Anathema
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.08.2014 - 11:03
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.08.2014 at 10:58

So you're lying to yourself?

More like "he doesn't have a backbone."
18.08.2014 - 13:17
raveneffect
He obviously hates to love them.
24.08.2014 - 00:49
Erik M.

Sorry, but that's very illogical and ridiculous reasoning. If it's a 4, rate it a 4, not a 7.
24.08.2014 - 00:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Erik M. on 24.08.2014 at 00:49
Sorry, but that's very illogical and ridiculous reasoning. If it's a 4, rate it a 4, not a 7.

It's not that simple, Erik. I mean he still loves Anathema. You can't just dismiss that.
----
24.08.2014 - 10:31
ke ke
Written by Erik M. on 24.08.2014 at 00:49

Sorry Aristotle! but not everything is based on logic,specially music.It's a 4 but I added 3 points because of Vincent Cavanagh who I believe has the best voice.that's it,ridiculous and illogical.so what?
24.08.2014 - 21:47
Erik M.
Written by ke ke on 24.08.2014 at 10:31

Sorry Aristotle! but not everything is based on logic,specially music.It's a 4 but I added 3 points because of Vincent Cavanagh who I believe has the best voice.that's it,ridiculous and illogical.so what?

You're right. The way you rate music is indeed illogical.

I don't let the love of a certain band influence my opinion of a certain album of theirs.

Hits total: 19561 | This month: 35