02. Du Riechst So Gut [Rammstein cover]
03. Old [Machine Head cover]
04. The Twins [live]
05. Saw It All [live]
06. Forsaken [live]
07. Nemesis [live]
08. Spit [demo]
09. Collection Of Dead Portraits [demo]

We're here! We're queer! Get used to it!

Damn, wrong album. (More on that never.)

In case you haven't been following along, France has a pretty ballin' death metal scene. Come to think of it, they have a pretty ballin' metal scene in general. I'm assuming the majority of you understand how to use the internet to search for something, so there's no point listing a bunch of bands that help prove my point. But I'll leave you all this pointless blurb about Gorod, Trepalium, 7th Nemesis, and Svart Crown because I can.

Anyway, back to Benighted. It's no secret that yours truly gets all tingly down there when these guys come out with new material, and I know you've all been losing sleep over whether or not it stacks up to their previous material, so I'm just gonna come out and set the record straight: Most of you will probably be disappointed.

That isn't to say that Carnivore Sublime is a bad album - it just doesn't follow the path most people were anticipating based on their progression since their debut. Instead of that typical face-melting deathgrind style, they've opted to take more influence from the deathcore scene. That means more breakdowns and more pig squeals, but it also means even more groove. Of course, they throw in some melodic licks for the hell of it and tend to focus more on the zany side of things, but that's what garnered them success in the first place.

While it may not live up to the brilliance of Icon or Identisick, this album still offers everything Benighted fans could ask for. Truch still hits his pitches to perfection, it's accessibly catchy and extremely heavy, and they don't take themselves too seriously. It's the kind of album Kvarforth can rock out to, whatever that means for you.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written on 31.03.2014 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 499 users
31.03.2014 - 18:17
Rating: 10
I thought this was was incredble. The only thing I've noticed different about them is the more groove pumped into the songwriting. Obviously I prefer the style that was on ICON and Asylum Cave. But this was nice catchy death metal album.
31.03.2014 - 18:24
Rating: 8
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Well, Icon was good but not outstanding as Asylum Cave. I'd find more powerpack punches, good amount of variation, very good production, pretty strong record I would say. This album is somewhere in between of AC and Icon while Identisick topping all 'em up.
31.03.2014 - 20:31
mz

Last time I checked these guys were too extreme for my taste but that was 3 years ago. Will give this a chance and see how my taste have changed.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
31.03.2014 - 20:42
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by mz on 31.03.2014 at 20:31

Last time I checked these guys were too extreme for my taste but that was 3 years ago. Will give this a chance and see how my taste have changed.

Now I wanna hear what's so extreme for a guy who likes Gnaw Their Tongues
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
31.03.2014 - 21:09
mz

Written by Karlabos on 31.03.2014 at 20:42

Now I wanna hear what's so extreme for a guy who likes Gnaw Their Tongues

It's extreme from a different point of view. I'm not into grindcore and any album with pronounced influences from that genre will be extreme for me.
----
31.03.2014 - 21:10
mz

Also, 3 years ago I was not familiar with GTT.
----
31.03.2014 - 21:11
Dargor

Groovylicious as usual. I started with Asylium Cave and I'm currently catching up on this band. I'm not dissapointed at all.
31.03.2014 - 22:48
TrollandDie

Loved this album. Whether people want to talk about the subtle changes the band made is up to them. But I think this is the same Benighted we know and love. Haven't listened to much from 2014, but C.S. is my favorite so far, if that means anything.
----
Hello, my name is Mr......Snrub and I think it would be a capital idea to invest the money back in the nuclear plant.
01.04.2014 - 03:36
Rating: 9
Diverge

This is such a great album! One of my favourites this year.
01.04.2014 - 04:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by TrollandDie on 31.03.2014 at 22:48
Whether people want to talk about the subtle changes the band made is up to them. But I think this is the same Benighted we know and love.

Pretty much. The review may have sounded negative at points but that was only to address some of the negative backlash I've seen this get online. For the most part it seems to be generally favored by those either just getting into the band or who followed them starting with Asylum Cave, but I think a lot of longtime fans would still consider this a success. Like I said, it's everything a Benighted album should be, it just happens to be a little less "grind" and a little more "core" and that might not sit well with everyone.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.04.2014 - 14:12
Rating: 8
Promonex
Cathemeral
Nothing disappointing about this album. Yeah, I was surprised by the added groove and especially that melodic lick in the title track, but I think it suits them well. As a matter of fact 2:40/3:30 of the title track might just be my favorite riff of the year so far.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
01.04.2014 - 14:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
The title track is probably the only one I don't like actually. I really liked the Kvaforth feature and how they managed to go all Shining on us for a minute.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.04.2014 - 04:48
Malignar

Great album, tough to follow up the masterpiece of their career in AC. This may be the best produced extreme metal album I've heard. Everything is perfect from the drums to guitars. I think the AC songwriting was stronger and a bit more pure death metal, but this release is still very very strong. One of the best albums of the year.

I see people praising Icon, I just don't get that album. Something missing on that release almost sounds like a different band than Identi, AC, CS versus Icon. I really enjoyed the remake of Machine Head Old. Not being a Machine Head fan since that song was released, I can see why I thought they were not horrible back then.
04.04.2014 - 19:59
Rating: 9
Skl3ros

Haven't been disappointed by the album at all but like their previous ones I got bored of it way too fast. I wish their songwriting would be a bit more complex and not so mainstreamy.
06.04.2014 - 17:36
DelightfulJim

It kind of reminded me of Slipknot.

Like, old Slipknot.

I ain't even mad.
07.04.2014 - 03:39
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by DelightfulJim on 06.04.2014 at 17:36
It kind of reminded me of Slipknot.

Was not expecting that.
----

Hits total: 7278 | This month: 12