06. Die Grosse Echsen
07. Seduction Suit No. 21
08. Solskinnsmedisin
09. Troll Gegen Mann
10. Sagn Om Stein
11. Renkespill
12. Kinesisk Alkymi
13. Døden Banker På

Listening to Trollfest is kinda like getting a mead with your cotton candy in between rides on shitty, dangerous traveling carnival equipment. You might be "too old" for it all--this is basically a "for kids" sort of thing--and yeah all the parents with their boys and girls around you might look down on you for not doing more "adult stuff", but you're just having a good time. And this album is thoroughly a good time. Guaranteed to make you feel 12 again.

Trollfest kind of remind me of what Finntroll's hyperactive little brother would be like. Where Finntroll is ditching class, drinking schnapps in his pickup with upperclassmen and talking about getting laid, Trollfest is pulling fire alarms and running around in circles and making school administrators consider bringing back corporal punishment. It's like, meds haven't worked and his teachers want to put a leash on him, but they know he'd chew right through it if they did. Which is to say what they do is manic.

Their songs flip constantly through paces and folk melodies from various parts of the globe while the vocalist screeches in foreign and made-up languages. It's speedy, insane and inane stuff. Comparatively, where Finntroll seems more subtle and carefully paced like a Mario game or something along those lines, Trollfest is like Sonic the Hedgehog. Which is a good thing when it comes to these guys, it's what makes them different in a genre that houses Korpiklaani.

Trollfest play everything hard and loud. The overall sound might seem a little run-of-the-mill to you, but the boyish attitude and huge number of hooks here will keep you listening. It's a fun for fun's sake kind of deal.

Written on 01.04.2014 by Wormdrink's real name is George and he's an American.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 161 users
01.04.2014 - 19:42
NorthernDickhead

Finntroll's little brother
01.04.2014 - 20:56
R Lewis

I remember when wormdrink's review for Brumlebassen appeared on the front page. It seems just like yesterday.

Feelings.
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
01.04.2014 - 21:22
enumaelis

I'd say that the main difference between Finntroll and Trollfest is that they drink from different folk sources. Fintroll from Humppa and Trollfest from balkan/gypsy folk in my opinion. So I dont see them like brothers exactly apart from sharing the "Extreme Folk Metal" part.
----
http://enumaelis.blogspot.com/
01.04.2014 - 23:46
Inirtu

Fantastically written review.

Fintroll's ADHD ridden little brother is an apt description.
02.04.2014 - 00:52
wormdrink414

Written by R Lewis on 01.04.2014 at 20:56

I remember when wormdrink's review for Brumlebassen appeared on the front page. It seems just like yesterday.

Feelings.

And I've been thinking it was Brumblebassen all this time. had it as Brumblebassen in the review, shit...

Written by enumaelis on 01.04.2014 at 21:22

I'd say that the main difference between Finntroll and Trollfest is that they drink from different folk sources. Fintroll from Humppa and Trollfest from balkan/gypsy folk in my opinion. So I dont see them like brothers exactly apart from sharing the "Extreme Folk Metal" part.

Yeah, probably more like cousins I guess.
02.04.2014 - 08:52
R Lewis

Written by wormdrink414 on 02.04.2014 at 00:52

And I've been thinking it was Brumblebassen all this time. had it as Brumblebassen in the review, shit...

Oh well, long live copy-paste
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
04.04.2014 - 13:58
toxx
Supreme being
I think the title track is the best one on this album. I've followed these guys since their demo-days, and I've got to say that this is not their strongest effort. But entertaining as always, in true Trollfest maner.

Hits total: 5574 | This month: 12