Metal Storm logo
Atmospheric black or death metal

Original post

Posted by , 20.05.2006 - 18:23
This time i am looking for something similar to old Amorphis albums like Tales From The Thousand Lakes,or Arcturus,La Masquerade Infernale.I don't mind if the band that you suggest has any keyboards and i don't care if the vocals are clean or they are just DM or BM vocals.
03.12.2013 - 12:35
De keizer

You might want to check out Epire of the Scourged,

Inspired by groundbreaking pioneers such as Nocturnus, Phlebotomized, Emperor, Aborym and Mysticum they turned their twisted ideas into a style of death metal never heard before.

www.empireofthescourged.com
www.facebook.com/empireofthescourged
www.soundcloud.com/empireofthescourged
08.01.2014 - 21:59
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Anyone can recommend me groovy atmospheric bm bands like Verdunkeln or Walknut? O only know these two.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
08.01.2014 - 22:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 08.01.2014 at 21:59

Anyone can recommend me groovy atmospheric bm bands like Verdunkeln or Walknut? O only know these two.

Oranssi Pazuzu might do good things for you. Maybe the last Aluk Todolo album too, though it's not all that black metal.
08.01.2014 - 22:15
mz

Is atmospheric death metal a real thing like atmospheric black metal or it's just being used for the sake of convenience ?
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
08.01.2014 - 22:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 08.01.2014 at 22:15

Is atmospheric death metal a real thing like atmospheric black metal or it's just being used for the sake of convenience ?

Not officially, but then atmospheric black metal is kind of a recent manufactured term to be honest.
08.01.2014 - 22:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 08.01.2014 at 22:19
Not officially, but then atmospheric black metal is kind of a recent manufactured term to be honest.

Given time I imagine it will become more official. Hell, if djent is an official genre I don't see why atmo-death can't be.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.01.2014 - 22:39
mz

@ ^ & ^^ : fair enough but most of bands described as atmo death can be put under other already tags such as blackend death or doomy death . That can probably also be said about atmo black and djent, though.
----
08.01.2014 - 22:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yeah, not sure there's yet a really solid foundation of atmospheric death metal yet. Maybe Agruss will inspire something with their next album.
09.01.2014 - 00:20
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Guest on 08.01.2014 at 22:06

Written by Karlabos on 08.01.2014 at 21:59

Oranssi Pazuzu might do good things for you. Maybe the last Aluk Todolo album too, though it's not all that black metal.

Thanks. i already heard Oranssi Pazuzu, but I think it became more sludgey than atmospheric lately. Aluk Todolo is pretty good, but...No vocals? ):
----
- Reimu Hakurei
09.01.2014 - 00:49
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 08.01.2014 at 22:47
Yeah, not sure there's yet a really solid foundation of atmospheric death metal yet. Maybe Agruss will inspire something with their next album.

Aaaaaah Agruss. I should revisit that album these days. Incredibly massive.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.01.2014 - 13:29
LLTNF
Account deleted
Disembowelment's Transcendence Into The Peripheral is the first record that comes to mind when I think the term "atmospheric death metal" ... it was way, way ahead of its time and still stands as a unique piece within the vast metal pantheon.
16.06.2014 - 01:26
fazotron

Anyone can recommend me music like Agalloch? Maybe without vocals
16.06.2014 - 07:54
no one
Account deleted
Written by fazotron on 16.06.2014 at 01:26

Anyone can recommend me music like Agalloch? Maybe without vocals

Alor
Oak pantheon
Valendusk
Gallowbraid
October falls
Kuaun
Tenhi

To name a few....some leaning more toward the folky agalloch, some leaning toward the atmospheric agalloch

I'm sure there's some bands without vocals but just can't think of them right now
04.08.2014 - 22:35
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
So as I'm not exactly versed in death metal it's better if ask you guys:

Someone would spare some groovy atmospheric death band names that are mid paced and riff based?
I mean, it should be kind of evil sounding, but still be riff based and deep sounding overall, like. I wanna hear the bass and the pedals mostly. It also helps to have a clean production and not sound it was recorded inside an anus.
Oh, and plus, I'd like deep growls as vocals, inhaled or exhaled should be ok. Also they shoould be mid paced, meaning not too slow nor too fast...

(talk about a specific request =P)

Ok, to make this more clear, let's see what I don't want:
Six feet Under - Nice riffs. Groovy sound. But has no evil atmosphere at all. Actually sounds punkish and upbeat
Aevangelist - Groovy. Atmospheric. However either it's too fast paced like black metal or either is too slow. Also it's much more atmosphere-based than riff-based...
Carcass - Vocals are not growls. Also not "evil sounding" enough.

Uh, so now what kind of approaches what I would like:

example 1 (The part I want starts at ~2:00)
example 2
example 3 ("this is a black metal band, were't you asking for death moron?" well, it may be. But it has deep growls as vocals, it's clean producted, groovy, evil sounding and riff based. So it kind of counts)

So anyone knows more stuff like this?
----
- Reimu Hakurei
04.08.2014 - 22:46
Ilham
Giant robot
I would say Necros Christos maybe?
04.08.2014 - 23:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
There are literally so many. The atmospheric part limits me a bit since bands like Obituary, Grave, and Bolt Thrower aren't as "evil" sounding per se but anyway...

Asphyx
The Chasm
Incantation
Runemagick

Good place to start, I think.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
04.08.2014 - 23:13
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Thanks
Could you cite a best album or something on that line?
My superb way of checking those bands consists on typing the band name on youtube and check a couple of songs which appear first, which could be a bit misleading. With that "technique" so far I found Asphyx a bit upbeat, the chasm also not atmospheric enough and the vocals are more like screams, and incantation a bit too fast...

It seems that Necros Christos and Runemagick are the most fitting for now. I'm gonna check them further.
----
- Reimu Hakurei
04.08.2014 - 23:19
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
You should give Evoken a try. And maybe Winter. And Disembowelment.

It seems like you're searching for death doom, at least based on the description you gave and the suggested bands you liked.

(Winter and Disembowelment are easy - they each only released one full-length. And pretty much any Evoken release is gold, so take your pick.)
----
04.08.2014 - 23:22
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Karlabos on 04.08.2014 at 23:13

It seems that Necros Christos and Runemagick are the most fitting for now. I'm gonna check them further.

Great. Was afraid to make a fool of myself with that one. I say Triune Impurity Rites or the lastest, Nine Graves, that I haven't checked yet in its totality, but seems to be a lot cleaner and modern than the first I mentioned. I don't know which would suit you best. But Go for TIR first.
05.08.2014 - 00:18
mz

I cant check your samples but anyway, based on the description, I do think that you should try Relics Of Sulphur Salvation by Vanhelgd. Devilish, mostly mid paces and based heavily on riffs. The production is not cavernous, too. Also, it is one of the best records of year IMO.
----
05.08.2014 - 00:19
mz

Moreover:

Fucking awesome.
----
18.08.2014 - 18:01
iryzw

Maybe A Forest of Stars

http://youtu.be/7ZrKbecv8qc

All songs are almost 10-15 minutes long.