Metal Storm logo
Atmospheric black or death metal

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 20.05.2006 - 18:23
This time i am looking for something similar to old Amorphis albums like Tales From The Thousand Lakes,or Arcturus,La Masquerade Infernale.I don't mind if the band that you suggest has any keyboards and i don't care if the vocals are clean or they are just DM or BM vocals.
16.11.2006 - 11:12
Vakshay
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 14.06.2006 at 16:12

Alcest-Le Secret. I recommend it to everyone, got it from Cryptic, great great haunting BM, but far from what you might expect.

Don't know if you could call it 'haunting' really. It's quite luminous and uplifting, for me anyway. Not really scary.
16.11.2006 - 17:57
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.11.2006 at 11:12

Alcest-Le Secret. I recommend it to everyone, got it from Cryptic, great great haunting BM, but far from what you might expect.

Don't know if you could call it 'haunting' really. It's quite luminous and uplifting, for me anyway. Not really scary.

After the first listen of Alcest - Le Secret I have totally fallen in love with it, it is just fuckin insane. So awesome. Way up there with Drudkh.

Speaking about Drudkh, if you havent heard them get Autumn Aurora and Blood In Our Wells immidiatly!
16.11.2006 - 18:52
Ruines
Account deleted
Anyone interested in Alcest might want to check out Amesoeurs which is a new sideproject by Neige (the guy from Alcest and also Mortifera (rip)).

It's pretty awesome
www.myspace.com/amesoeurs
16.11.2006 - 19:12
Damnated
Churchburner
Mortifera is still active, why the 'rip' reference?
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
16.11.2006 - 19:20
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.11.2006 at 18:52

Anyone interested in Alcest might want to check out Amesoeurs which is a new sideproject by Neige (the guy from Alcest and also Mortifera (rip)).

It's pretty awesome
www.myspace.com/amesoeurs

The sample song was indeed amazing. Have to check that EP out.
16.11.2006 - 19:25
Ruines
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 16.11.2006 at 19:12

Mortifera is still active, why the 'rip' reference?

Is it ? I've been told it's dead and that's why Neige started Amesoeurs.

I've heard also there is a grudge between Neige and the other Mortifera's members.
16.11.2006 - 19:35
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 16.11.2006 at 19:25

Is it ? I've been told it's dead and that's why Neige started Amesoeurs.

for Neige it defenetly is, he left the band some time ago, but they did not disband.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
16.11.2006 - 20:20
Ruines
Account deleted
I doubt it'll be the same thing without Neige but hey, i could be surprised. Let's hope they do no ruin the name Mortifera.
17.11.2006 - 19:42
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Guest on 16.11.2006 at 11:12

yeah, you might be right. but well, it is awesome though.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
18.11.2006 - 03:00
Vakshay
Account deleted
Yeah either way it's great. Can't wait to hear a full length (presuming it comes out this year coming as Neige suggested).
18.11.2006 - 05:10
Southern Wind
Account deleted
mixing both genres, the masterpiece of atmospheric black/death would be Rotting Christ's "Thy Mighty Contract"... original, shocking and superb in every way
08.05.2010 - 00:18
The Turbanator
Negura Bunget
Walknut
Njiqqahda
Velvet Cacoon

Also eventhough Primordial is not Atmospheric BM, do listen to their latest album. It's great.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
13.06.2010 - 01:01
Got Mayhem?
I've heard some refer to Septic Flesh as Atmospheric DM. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but Sumerian Daemons is a good listen either way.
----
13.06.2010 - 02:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Atmospheric is a word that I rarely associate with death metal, actually I can't think of any DM bands that fall under this umbrella. They seem to be mutually exclusive.
13.06.2010 - 03:04
Got Mayhem?
Written by Guest on 13.06.2010 at 02:59

Atmospheric is a word that I rarely associate with death metal, actually I can't think of any DM bands that fall under this umbrella. They seem to be mutually exclusive.

Maybe The Chasm or Septic Flesh? And that's pushing it and only on certain songs. I suppose it can also be difficult to differentiate between whats Atmospheric and what's heavy elements of doom...
----
13.06.2010 - 03:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Got Mayhem? on 13.06.2010 at 03:04

Maybe The Chasm or Septic Flesh? And that's pushing it and only on certain songs. I suppose it can also be difficult to differentiate between whats Atmospheric and what's heavy elements of doom...

I find that they're more orientated around a specific cultural. or ethnic, pretext than what I would regard as "atmospheric." There's a certain vagueness and indefinability with atmospheric music. It's probably a personal thing really but I really don't know any predominantly atmospheric death metal bands: The concept seems to be mutually exclusive. Like an upbeat doom metal band.
13.06.2010 - 03:28
Got Mayhem?
Written by Guest on 13.06.2010 at 03:13

I find that they're more orientated around a specific cultural. or ethnic, pretext than what I would regard as "atmospheric." There's a certain vagueness and indefinability with atmospheric music. It's probably a personal thing really but I really don't know any predominantly atmospheric death metal bands: The concept seems to be mutually exclusive. Like an upbeat doom metal band.

Yea, atmospheric is a loose term at best. I'd be lying if I said I understood exactly what makes a band atmospheric and what doesn't. There are tons of bands that create an 'atmosphere' but I doubt people would call them an atmospheric band. But again, looking back at most of these recommendations here in some way or another there's usually some sort of heavy doom element in their sound. Maybe that's it? I dunno, if someone could explain it better to me that'd be sweet.
----
13.06.2010 - 03:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Got Mayhem? on 13.06.2010 at 03:28

Written by Guest on 13.06.2010 at 03:13

Yea, atmospheric is a loose term at best. I'd be lying if I said I understood exactly what makes a band atmospheric and what doesn't. There are tons of bands that create an 'atmosphere' but I doubt people would call them an atmospheric band. But again, looking back at most of these recommendations here in some way or another there's usually some sort of heavy doom element in their sound. Maybe that's it? I dunno, if someone could explain it better to me that'd be sweet.

I couldn't explain it personally. I'm quite comfortable with atmospheric black metal but as soon as death metal is introduced it becomes too too blasé and in your face to considered so. Then again for the most part I'm not really into death metal, bar a few bands.
28.06.2010 - 01:54
Vndergrovnd
Atmospheric black metal bands I really like: Walknut, ColdWorld, Ordo Templi Orientis, Twilight, and, of course, Drudkh.
26.08.2010 - 13:09
The Turbanator
Petrychor's Dryad album is fucking intense. Highly recommended.

Listen : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUZtULEa8Ps
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
30.08.2010 - 18:52
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff

Nocturnus? Some people label them as being atmospheric. Meh, don't care about labels anymore.

I can actually relax with some death metal and finding it atmospheric so I disagree with you
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.09.2010 - 17:42
The Turbanator
Anyone heard of Liveride? Quite possible the best song I heard all month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpoTsWa2wTA
----
14.09.2010 - 22:49
Sulac
Summoning?
16.09.2010 - 17:30
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by The Turbanator on 13.09.2010 at 17:42

Sounds quite amateurish and sloppy, but they have some potential. I'll look out for them in the future.
16.09.2010 - 18:22
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by The Turbanator on 13.09.2010 at 17:42

Didn't like it. The guitar tone is terrible to be frank... the vocals don't do anything to me either: I mean it doesn't sound like proper BM singing. The keyboard parts are too loud... You liked it?

P.S. Sorry for being so negative, but I just didn't like it at all.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
17.09.2010 - 00:54
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
My newest "discovery" - Lustre

also Folkstorm is a great band
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

19.05.2011 - 22:21
BreadGod
Account deleted
I've really been enjoying Black Metal that happens to have an atmospheric edge to it. My favorite overall has been Panopticon, but I'm also listening to a lot of stuff by Skagos, Fen, and Kataxu, and I'm keeping a close eye on young upstart bands like Oskoreien, Gallowbraid, and Petrychor.
20.05.2011 - 03:45
The Turbanator
Written by Guest on 19.05.2011 at 22:21

I've really been enjoying Black Metal that happens to have an atmospheric edge to it. My favorite overall has been Panopticon, but I'm also listening to a lot of stuff by Skagos, Fen, and Kataxu, and I'm keeping a close eye on young upstart bands like Oskoreien, Gallowbraid, and Petrychor.

Winterfylleth can be considered atmospheric as well. Really good band from the UK. But so far my favorite is Walknut. They need to release more albums. 'Graveforest and their Shadows' is the pure definition of atmospheric black metal.
----
20.05.2011 - 04:32
BreadGod
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 20.05.2011 at 03:45

Winterfylleth can be considered atmospheric as well. Really good band from the UK. But so far my favorite is Walknut. They need to release more albums. 'Graveforest and their Shadows' is the pure definition of atmospheric black metal.

I, too, quite enjoy Walknut. To me, it sounds like a modern version of Branikald.
20.05.2011 - 04:44
The Turbanator
Written by Guest on 20.05.2011 at 04:32

Written by The Turbanator on 20.05.2011 at 03:45

I, too, quite enjoy Walknut. To me, it sounds like a modern version of Branikald.

Yeah, it's not hard to fall in love with their work. But I have a tough time liking Panopticon. I like his first album though, the self titled one but the recent one I still can't get into it. Fen is awesome as usual. Gallowbraid reminds me of October Falls. Petrychor is just immense. I'll check out Branikald soon.

An Autumn For Crippled Children. have you heard of them? I'm hooked to them now, really good atmospheric music. And then we have the usual suspects Darkspace, Evilfeast, Fauna, Impavida (although it's more labelled as Depressive, but it creates this eerie atmosphere that will suck you into it.. just like that Korean band Pyha) and Unheilvoll. Really good bands, worth checking out.
----