Metal Storm logo
Current affairs

03.04.2014 - 09:58
no one
Account deleted
Here's where to talk about all the current affairs happening at home and around the world. Instead of a slew of different threads like there seem to be at the moment, i thought it might be better to just have the one thread.

I'll start off with "deep sea drilling and mining exploration"

A lot of country's around the world do it and make millions, recently big oil company's like Anadarko have been given the go ahead to explore a MASSIVE area of New Zealand, also access to conservation land.

I do like the idea of them striking oil and our country becoming wealthy, but will it,or will they? (the guys on top).

Also there's the issue of our country's reputation of being "clean and green" being stained, but more importantly i know that if something happened like in Mexico, we would be DOOOMED! and i don't really want our conservation land mined, it's all we got going for us.

Anyway wouldn't mind hearing the opinions from some of you who also live in beautiful country's, like Norway for instance, places that have beautiful scenery but have gone mad on mining and deep sea drilling....how has it affected the country?

...yeah i know my grammar sux
03.04.2014 - 10:36
toxx
Supreme being
Might have been better to post this thread in the General forum?

In Norway there is always a debate going on about drillig for oil and gas. Recently there has been discussions on whether we should drill for gas resources in Lofoten. I think that will affect Lofoten in a negative way. One of the most beautiful places in the country, with long traditions in fishing and other sea related trades, would be soiled by gas plants and industrialisation.

The drilling we do in the north sea affects us more in a positive way. It's a huge income, that we as a people benefit from. Norway is a great place to live, much thanks to the oil industry. We were once a poor people consisting of mainly farmers and fishermen.

I wouldn't say that we have gone mad with mining though. Yesz, there is mines, but not all over the country. There were a lot more active mines back in the day than it is now.

I'll just throw a picture of Lofoten out here:

03.04.2014 - 12:44
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by toxx on 03.04.2014 at 10:36

Might have been better to post this thread in the General forum?

In Norway there is always a debate going on about drillig for oil and gas. Recently there has been discussions on whether we should drill for gas resources in Lofoten. I think that will affect Lofoten in a negative way. One of the most beautiful places in the country, with long traditions in fishing and other sea related trades, would be soiled by gas plants and industrialisation.

The drilling we do in the north sea affects us more in a positive way. It's a huge income, that we as a people benefit from. Norway is a great place to live, much thanks to the oil industry. We were once a poor people consisting of mainly farmers and fishermen.

I wouldn't say that we have gone mad with mining though. Yesz, there is mines, but not all over the country. There were a lot more active mines back in the day than it is now.

I'll just throw a picture of Lofoten out here:

Oh man, that is so beautiful. I hope they don't drill there. I think you guys should definitely protest if some big oil company swoops down to start drilling there. I'm sure they will find a lot more places where they can drill for oil. Drilling for oil will always affect the ecosystem, which is really sad. If Lofoten people survive by fishing, then that's definitely a good enough reason not to drill.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
03.04.2014 - 13:45
toxx
Supreme being
Not everyone is a fisherman up there, but some are. It's the ecosystem and wildlife that will take the hardest blows if they should start drilling there. I say keep all drilling offshore, and drill as few new holes as possible.

@ Bad English, if you want to work with welding the way you describe, offshore would be a good option. You'll need a 4-day safety training programme for working on offshore installations. There is a different one for working on ships. It will set you back 16-17000 NOK (a little over 18k SEK). It also helps if you are a certified welder
03.04.2014 - 14:16
toxx
Supreme being
Written by Bad English on 03.04.2014 at 13:55

I just finnish my studies 8 months LOL
but Many wedes works as I decribe 2-3 weeks, same time free, and they works not 8 h but 12 -14 h per day
same shit in Pajala, Kiruna, Gällivare in mines, but I still wating my Lernia grades, so -...

Offshore will pay pretty good too. You work 2-3 weeks, then you have 2-3 weeks off. Depending on the company you work for. You might make somewhere around 5-600 000 SEK a year. If you work for a norwegian company that is. The average for Norwegian oilworkers is a little over 1mill NOK a year.(about 170k USD for those who might be wondering). There is a lot of different jobs to choose from offshore.
03.04.2014 - 21:52
no one
Account deleted
Written by Spirit Molecule on 03.04.2014 at 12:44

Oh man, that is so beautiful. I hope they don't drill there. I think you guys should definitely protest if some big oil company swoops down to start drilling there. I'm sure they will find a lot more places where they can drill for oil. Drilling for oil will always affect the ecosystem, which is really sad. If Lofoten people survive by fishing, then that's definitely a good enough reason not to drill.

Over here they just finished finished drilling just out from where i live and just off the Kiakoura coast which has one of the deepest underwater ledges in the word. This meant it was one of the deepest drills ever done! which made it risky as fuck, also that ledge makes it one of the best whale watching places on the planet.

People protested to fuckery and when they done a vote, the majority of nz was against the drilling. But they still went ahead anyway and also made a new law that you cant protest out at sea. Everybody was quite relieved when they didn't find anything, so now they have basically let them go and search the whole country.

protesting doesn't seem to do fuck all in nz, i seriously think we need to become a lot more aggresive
03.04.2014 - 21:57
no one
Account deleted
Written by toxx on 03.04.2014 at 14:16

Written by Bad English on 03.04.2014 at 13:55

I just finnish my studies 8 months LOL
but Many wedes works as I decribe 2-3 weeks, same time free, and they works not 8 h but 12 -14 h per day
same shit in Pajala, Kiruna, Gällivare in mines, but I still wating my Lernia grades, so -...

Offshore will pay pretty good too. You work 2-3 weeks, then you have 2-3 weeks off. Depending on the company you work for. You might make somewhere around 5-600 000 SEK a year. If you work for a norwegian company that is. The average for Norwegian oilworkers is a little over 1mill NOK a year.(about 170k USD for those who might be wondering). There is a lot of different jobs to choose from offshore.

See where i live there a gas rigs surrounding our coast, and they keep going on about how much money it makes the place, but i don't really see all this money. Everyone gets paid so amazingly well on these rigs but i have only ever come across about two people who work out there, a lot of them come from over seas or the other end of the country, get a free ride in and from work in the helicopter.
03.04.2014 - 23:27
toxx
Supreme being
I know several people that has worked offshore. Not uncommon at all here. Might be a different story in NZ though. Don't know. The people here in Norway benefit from the oil money much because we use a bit of it every year in the state budget. Check out this link: http://www.nbim.no/en/
04.04.2014 - 04:43
Reverend X
If only we stop depending on technology and be self-reliant.
04.04.2014 - 14:18
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Many many elections this year. Hungary will decide whether we need back to old-and-renamed communist system who basically rob everyeone or we can stay on the Orban way (which also sucks but might be good in 4-5 years from now).
----
05.04.2014 - 04:35
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by toxx on 03.04.2014 at 23:27

I know several people that has worked offshore. Not uncommon at all here.

Yeah, good money and great experience; honestly, seems like a typical Norwegian job for me... I think I know too many people who have worked/will work for an oil company onshore and offshore in Norway. XD I studied petroleum geology and exploration geophysics at Norwegian University of Science and Technology and experienced the way students are introduced to the Norwegian oil production industry regardless of their main field of study. So, chemistry students sooner or later learn about oil in depth, civil engineers learn about oil rigs, project management students learn about oil companies, me - I learned how to actually find oil, and so on. All that plus the fact that oil companies offer SO MANY jobs for students just results in, I think, good decisions in every aspect of oil production. And, of course, we all heard about the oil drilling project in the Lofoten which was halted, but, I hope, won't happen ever because, honestly, I think Norway is doing just fine without it. One of my teachers who also worked for Statoil, said they're about to discover a new oil field... at least the exploration part was going well. I wonder if they did find oil...

Anyhow, I hope desperation for oil won't destroy the beautiful New Zealand that I have not yet travelled to. :/
09.04.2014 - 02:19
no one
Account deleted
So turns out the the environmental minister Jeff Bridges (the biggest tosser ever to be known in nz) when asked about a famous national park that is in the mining plan, didn't even know it existed or where it was.
This shit's just getting ridiculous, ill try and get a pic of the place later, it's beautiful place
09.04.2014 - 02:57
no one
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 09.04.2014 at 02:44

Basically they're just figure heads with no real power. The true power is usually the departmental secretaries and ministerial advisers who control flow of information and make recommendations to the minister.

hmm, never thought about that... i will still crack him in the head if i see him walking down the street
09.04.2014 - 03:16
no one
Account deleted
So.... nothing going on in the rest of the world, nothing to moan about ? what about Peaches passing away? i will miss her so much! though i never had even heard of her or any of her family till she died, still don't really know what she was famous for.
09.04.2014 - 04:59
no one
Account deleted
So it's the way they install the batts or the batts themselves i don't really get it. Using a staple or nail gun with live wires in the house is pretty bad practice anyway isn't it ?

sorry i just watched a news clip about it and it didn't explain much
09.04.2014 - 05:14
no one
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 09.04.2014 at 05:10

It was the way they installed the batts.

Basically government offered a great price to stimulate growth and all these untrained types jumped on the gravy train.

They died because they had no training.

There was no government regulations requiring installers to be trained and they apparently quashed a proposal for 5 days mandatory training for installers.

oh i see
09.04.2014 - 10:05
toxx
Supreme being
Something that kond of pisses me off a bit, is the way the media controls western society's attention to things. I don't give a shit about the death of Peaches Geldof. What I do care about though, is conflicts and happenings around the world that one day will be written about in history books.

After what happened in Ukraine it seems like the media "forgot" about Syria. Guess it doesn't sell as much newspapers as it did. It'll quiet down about Ukraine soon too. And MH370, which is imo hyped up. How many people, and especially children, get lost every day, to never be found again? And the world doesn't giva a shit about it. Some plane disappears, and the world goes nuts.

Ah, the narrow-mindedness of western world media. It reflects the people, really. It's the people who buy papers, and a newspaper with a dead celeb on the frontpage sells better than one with an anonymous war victim on it. That's just sad.
09.04.2014 - 10:33
no one
Account deleted
Written by toxx on 09.04.2014 at 10:05

Something that kond of pisses me off a bit, is the way the media controls western society's attention to things. I don't give a shit about the death of Peaches Geldof. What I do care about though, is conflicts and happenings around the world that one day will be written about in history books.

After what happened in Ukraine it seems like the media "forgot" about Syria. Guess it doesn't sell as much newspapers as it did. It'll quiet down about Ukraine soon too. And MH370, which is imo hyped up. How many people, and especially children, get lost every day, to never be found again? And the world doesn't giva a shit about it. Some plane disappears, and the world goes nuts.

Ah, the narrow-mindedness of western world media. It reflects the people, really. It's the people who buy papers, and a newspaper with a dead celeb on the frontpage sells better than one with an anonymous war victim on it. That's just sad.

Yeah the media on that mh370 is shocking, everyday they have found something....maybe. They're just fucking with the family's heads for the sake of keeping the story going, you would think they would just leave it until they actually were certain what they had found was part of the plane before blurting it out to the world.
09.04.2014 - 12:48
toxx
Supreme being
So, the cops caught a group of hunters here yesterday. 12 guys who has been hunting and taking out wolves illegally for several years. That pisses me off too!
09.04.2014 - 14:09
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by toxx on 09.04.2014 at 10:05

MH370 news does make sense. People disappear in ones and twos, you never have a plane filled with people disappear. I'm not really defending the media here, especially western media(not saying that ours are any better) but they are doing what they think people will want to hear.
It's like music, there are a lot of people who are happy enough to turn on the radio and listen to the hits and not really dig deeper to find more music, that's who the radio caters too. If you want proper news, use the internet.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
09.04.2014 - 17:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Bad English on 09.04.2014 at 13:13
This is why I like linching .-... justice in old Taxas style, hang a man whit a smile

Lynching has very little to do with justice and more to do with propagating fear. The only people who were likely to smile during a lynching were the racist mob members trying to control the black community.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.04.2014 - 19:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Bad English on 09.04.2014 at 18:51
Taxes part wa smore iron abopt it lyncing is wrongf and wright if we linched bad person what was arrested but get out because warant was bad, what so ever...but I dont mnd linch hunters who do it illigaly .... and dangeros egang mebers ars Charles Bronson did ...

If you support the death penalty that's one thing. Lethal injection is more humane in the sense that you're forcibly overdosing the prisoner whereas lynching is usually done outside of the law and is a far more brutal and painful way to go. You say you support these things but you do so behind the comfort of your computer desk in a country where lynching is practically unheard of.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.04.2014 - 22:46
no one
Account deleted
More importantly...Ultimate Warrior died today age 54

Seriously though, US teen goes on school stabbing rampage http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11235539 So there starting to use knives now, much more brutal but at least they won't kill as many people.
It's a hard subject, teenagers are so mean to each other and parents aren't always going to take care of there children's well being while growing up, it's always going to be that way. Not really sure if we will ever get a grip on this sort of thing happening.
09.04.2014 - 23:14
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 09.04.2014 at 23:01
but sometimes ya can't trust any statistics either, especially when there's a lot of money making involved

All I know is our infant mortality rate has plummeted since the introduction of widespread vaccinations.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs286/en/
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/whatifstop.htm#measles

And this is what happens when you don't immunize your kids: http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ont-health-officials-confirm-two-new-measles-exposure-sites-1.1766807
----
09.04.2014 - 23:43
no one
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.04.2014 at 23:14

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs286/en/
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/whatifstop.htm#measles

And this is what happens when you don't immunize your kids: http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ont-health-officials-confirm-two-new-measles-exposure-sites-1.1766807

i could pile this page up with links that work against your links, but i just don't care, i agree with you anyway. All i'm saying is take care with believing what you read when it comes to money making pharmaceuticals http://vactruth.com/2012/11/30/2011-billions-vaccine-manufacturers/
09.04.2014 - 23:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 09.04.2014 at 23:43
i could pile this page up with links that work against your links, but i just don't care, i agree with you anyway. All i'm saying is take care with believing what you read when it comes to money making pharmaceuticals http://vactruth.com/2012/11/30/2011-billions-vaccine-manufacturers/

I'm the last person you need to tell to read between the lines when it comes to this stuff, but I'd really like to see some legitimate scientific evidence to support vaccinations being more harmful than beneficial.
----
10.04.2014 - 00:02
no one
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.04.2014 at 23:48

Written by Guest on 09.04.2014 at 23:43

I'm the last person you need to tell to read between the lines when it comes to this stuff, but I'd really like to see some legitimate scientific evidence to support vaccinations being more harmful than beneficial.

i have all these natural health magazines i collect at home with big articles on the topic which do sound quite convincing at times, they also so have lots and lots of links for verification on what they talk about, but please don't make me post them all. As i say i'm not saying your sisters right....Tell her Jim Carey said the opposite
10.04.2014 - 03:01
no one
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 10.04.2014 at 02:47

Of course the pharmaceutical companies want to make mega dollars.

I mean who in their right mind does stuff for free? We deal with supposedly "not-for-profit" organisations all the time and I can tell you money makes their world go around.

But vaccinations work. And if the companies make money of it, then so be it. We do live in a capitalist society.

i'm just saying because there is so make so much money to be made they will push it on people more, and could possibly pay off people to get good statistics and recommendations made up.

I'm not saying this is the case here, some things in the world are legit and sometimes they actually do want to help people.

I don't actually know anybody who has gone down the non vaccine road and just replaced it with natural organic vitamins or whatever, so couldn't say i would know any better, do any of you? Most people do it because they wouldn't want to risk what that what the big people say isn't true.
10.04.2014 - 03:25
no one
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 10.04.2014 at 03:06

This bit I don''t believe in. Shareholder value is their primary concern.

I remember a documentary several years ago on malaria. Apparently the only people at that time doing research on a malaria vaccine was the US military. The private pharmaceutical companies had no interest because the main areas that suffer from malaria are poor.

yeah no shit, i was just trying make a bit of peace so you didn't jump on your high horse and start blurting out a bunch of pc shit no one really cares about, obviously there's no stopping that.

Quote:
I don't actually know anybody who has gone down the non vaccine road and just replaced it with natural organic vitamins or whatever, so couldn't say i would know any better, do any of you? Most people do it because they wouldn't want to risk what that what the big people say isn't true.

Quote:
It's not just pharmaceuticals pushing. There's a lot of studies conducted on this kind of stuff by independent research institutes, universities and global organisations such as the UN WHO.

yeah and what, they'r probably all the same guys who helped get the approval of these fucking terrible anti depressants i'm withdrawing from.
10.04.2014 - 03:52
no one
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by deadone on 10.04.2014 at 03:34

Hey I don't blurt out PC shit.

I keep my mouth closed on topics I truly don't have PC values ala Islam, death penality, social welfare etc.

you know what i mean, you get all "well a matter of fact" when there's no need

Quote:
yeah and what, they'r probably all the same guys who helped get the approval of these fucking terrible anti depressants i'm withdrawing from.

Yep!

Mental health drugs are truly nasty in their effects. Basically they have to fuck with brain chemistry in a major way. And brain chemistry is something we still don't fully understand,

yes but they still shouldn't give such strong approval about drugs they don't really no about, but yeah..money., which brings us back to the point of being weary about this shit that's so called works and is approved. Thanks for taking us round that circle deadone, was fun.