Metal Storm logo
Current affairs

Original post

Posted by , 03.04.2014 - 09:58
Here's where to talk about all the current affairs happening at home and around the world. Instead of a slew of different threads like there seem to be at the moment, i thought it might be better to just have the one thread.

I'll start off with "deep sea drilling and mining exploration"

A lot of country's around the world do it and make millions, recently big oil company's like Anadarko have been given the go ahead to explore a MASSIVE area of New Zealand, also access to conservation land.

I do like the idea of them striking oil and our country becoming wealthy, but will it,or will they? (the guys on top).

Also there's the issue of our country's reputation of being "clean and green" being stained, but more importantly i know that if something happened like in Mexico, we would be DOOOMED! and i don't really want our conservation land mined, it's all we got going for us.

Anyway wouldn't mind hearing the opinions from some of you who also live in beautiful country's, like Norway for instance, places that have beautiful scenery but have gone mad on mining and deep sea drilling....how has it affected the country?

...yeah i know my grammar sux
10.04.2014 - 04:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by deadone on 10.04.2014 at 02:47
But vaccinations work. And if the companies make money of it, then so be it. We do live in a capitalist society.

The vaccinations working is the most important aspect of this. I don't care who profits off of helping others, just so long as people realize this isn't some government conspiracy to somehow induce children with autism.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.04.2014 - 05:00
no one
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 10.04.2014 at 04:26

It's a result of university education and government employment - always cover your back!

Especially when its covered in shit
10.04.2014 - 09:14
toxx
Supreme being
When it comes to vaccines, read this: http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/dear-parents-you-are-being-lied

I'm so sick of these conspiracy theories. More and more people go on and on about government conspiracies, aliens and whatnot. just STAHP! As Yoda would say: -Watched to many youtube "documentaries", you have!
10.04.2014 - 09:37
no one
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 10.04.2014 at 09:22

It's all about uneducated morons who think they know better than professionals or equally uneducated morons who think they know something the rest of us don't.

Freedom of speech can be very dangerous.

the other thread you were saying educated people were the morons who fuck up the world, remember i said i am all for vaccination if you are referring to me
10.04.2014 - 10:25
toxx
Supreme being
This seems quite fitting now:
10.04.2014 - 11:35
no one
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 10.04.2014 at 10:00

Written by Guest on 10.04.2014 at 09:37

the other thread you were saying educated people were the morons who fuck up the world, remember i said i am all for vaccination if you are referring to me

Wasn't referring to you but rather the people who do promote stupid stuff such as vaccines are bad or "the Jews are behind it."

And educated morons do fuck up the world in a mjaor way, whilst the uneducated morons fuck it up at a more grass roots level.

The problem with the world is people.

You really are edgy today - those withdrawals from antidepressants I assume?

yeah i am haha, i was just thinking how paranoid that last post looked, i'm seriously loosing a it bit! At least it's just to strangers on the internet rather than people in real life.
Sorry about that, though my posts do probably come across more aggressive than i intend...my tempers like a fucking hair trigger at the moment.
11.04.2014 - 00:33
no one
Account deleted
Written by toxx on 10.04.2014 at 10:25

This seems quite fitting now:

a bit naive, but it's pretty funny all the same. Funny how that dude actually looks like a old hippy too
11.04.2014 - 10:22
toxx
Supreme being
Written by Guest on 11.04.2014 at 00:33

a bit naive, but it's pretty funny all the same. Funny how that dude actually looks like a old hippy too

One of my favorite stand-up comedians. Passed away in 2008. There's hours of shows on youtube. Just search for George Carlin!
11.04.2014 - 11:30
no one
Account deleted
Written by toxx on 11.04.2014 at 10:22

One of my favorite stand-up comedians. Passed away in 2008. There's hours of shows on youtube. Just search for George Carlin!

being stuck on the couch i think i will
14.04.2014 - 17:50
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by deadone on 14.04.2014 at 02:27

My favourite gag of his was when he got the 10 Commandments down to 2!

This.

His criticisms has always been spot on. His favorites might include "Terrorism Expert", "Heroes Who Died For Their Country" in "When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops". He nailed it.
08.05.2014 - 08:46
toxx
Supreme being
Slave trading and human trafficking is pretty common I think. More common than we would like to believe. What's really sad is that there is obviously a market for it as well, or else it would never happen. People are willing to pay their life savings and moreto flee from some parts of this world, and the ones getting paid are rarely to be trusted. And then there is the ones that are kidnapped, like we are seeing now.

There are plenty of examples here too, in the "best country" in the world. People "borrow" money from the person that arranges their escape from war-ridden places, and to pay them back they are forced, by the same person/group, to sell their body for years. All the cash goes back to some pimp.
08.05.2014 - 09:00
no one
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 08.05.2014 at 08:18

Written by Guest on 08.05.2014 at 08:10

yeah thats why it's funny, all these celebs are trying to raise awareness about the two hundred kidnapped children over there

Sad thing is I doubt the Africans and Arabs who participate in the modern slave trade give a crap what some actors think.

Himans make me sick. We're worse than fucking animals.

edit: Transferred this to correct forum so I don't get in trouble (again).

exactly!

i'm glad you transferred it, i was terrified i was going to get told off
20.05.2014 - 06:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by deadone on 20.05.2014 at 02:24
Stupid fuckwit Western governments could learn a thing or two from ol' Putin as to how to control events to create outcomes favourable to your own goals.

Agreed. Say what you want about the guy's actions, but he's got the manipulation and control game down to a t.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.05.2014 - 17:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by deadone on 20.05.2014 at 07:21
Basically it's all become a mess of blundering bureaucracies and media publicity stunts.

And that's the American Way.?
----
21.05.2014 - 08:37
toxx
Supreme being
Taling about bureaucracies.. I compare countries with companies in many ways. Here, the government has hordes of people employed in loads of different jobs. Now, that's fine. But why the hell does it have to be som damn ineffective? If it was a privately owned company, people would have been fired. Endless processing time for simple paperwork.

Things like planning a new stretch of road or railroad. The average time it takes to PLAN a new road here in norway is 10 YEARS! 10 years of wasting money! Too many people are involved, planning takes waaaay too long, too expensive, then they do shit wrong, and go way over budget when it's finally time to build the damn road.
11.07.2014 - 16:19
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
We're currently facing parliamentary election this Sunday. It's pretty much possible our next prime minister will become Janez Jan?a, who is currently in jail due to corruption (and should be held beind bars for the rest of his life, because he's guilty of so much more). If this happens, we'll be the mocking point of the whole European Union and our country will have the leader straight from the prison. Oh, for the love of everything and everyone I hope my fellow citizens won't elect this man.
http://euobserver.com/eu-elections/124569

So there, a little trivia from the teeny tiny country noone notices or cares about
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
11.07.2014 - 23:22
no one
Account deleted
Written by AnGina-- on 11.07.2014 at 16:19

We're currently facing parliamentary election this Sunday. It's pretty much possible our next prime minister will become Janez Jan?a, who is currently in jail due to corruption (and should be held beind bars for the rest of his life, because he's guilty of so much more). If this happens, we'll be the mocking point of the whole European Union and our country will have the leader straight from the prison. Oh, for the love of everything and everyone I hope my fellow citizens won't elect this man.
http://euobserver.com/eu-elections/124569

So there, a little trivia from the teeny tiny country noone notices or cares about

why the fuck would he have a chance? obviously some other sort of corruption going on here?
12.07.2014 - 00:28
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Guest on 11.07.2014 at 23:22
why the fuck would he have a chance? obviously some other sort of corruption going on here?

There's so much corruption going on in our country, we could make a 20 season lasting TV series about it. Crime & drama, mafia series becoming reality. But that's another topic. Basically, everyone running on the election has many, many skeletons in their closets (and money on their accounts, while we're dealing with 13-14% of unemployment rate). Everyone in Slovenia is corrupted, the whole judicial system even.

Why does he stand a chance? Because - and that is something the media has been talking about also lately - the majortiy of the people who will vote are elderly (young people are basically both, too lazy and too apathic to vote, due to the current situation in our country). And they remember him as one of the crucial people who fought in the war for Slovenia and actually believe he's innocent. His supporters have been protesting outside the jail where he's serving time, since his arrest, trying to accomplish to set him free. His whole party supports him also. And he & his party do stand a chance to win.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/06/20/uk-slovenia-corruption-idUKKBN0EV29N20140620
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
12.07.2014 - 00:35
no one
Account deleted
Damn...ever thought about escaping to italy or austia or something? (yeah i just googled the whereabouts of your country)
12.07.2014 - 14:41
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Guest on 12.07.2014 at 00:35

(yeah i just googled the whereabouts of your country)

Austria or Germany, not Italy though. But that's a whole new topic.
----
13.07.2014 - 21:07
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Ernis on 13.07.2014 at 13:48

On the other hand, if you're Italian then expect to be a 35-year-old, with a college degree (you paid shitloads of money for), unemployed and living with your parents forever and ever because the unemployment rate is so tragic that you're only hope is to emigrate... the leaders (balding, wrinkled, elderly men), however, stuff their pockets with cash (aggravating the national debt)

It's the same in Slovenia and I believe some other European countries as well.

On the note, SDS (Slovenian democratic party) with the infamous Janez Jansa (the prisoner) did not win the election, they were second, but their percentage was much lower than they expected. They already gave a statement than since they did not win, they have no interest in cooperating in the parliament, not even in the opposition.
----
17.07.2014 - 06:27
JayMo4

Unfortunately, the more dismantled the system of regulations, the harder it is to go back. The more power they have to rig the system, the further the system gets rigged. In the US, our entire "democracy" revolves around moneyed interests now. Whatever laws are written or court decisions passed down, the winner is always the side with more money, and the decision always leads to the winning side getting even richer. I genuinely worry that we're already beyond the point of no return, that those on top of the tower are on the brink of digging away the last of the foundations beneath, causing the entire system to collapse.

At one point, we might have been able to walk it all back from the cliff. I don't know that we can anymore. I wonder if it's not a matter of if but when it all blows up.
17.07.2014 - 09:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I hate how goddamn primitive we are sometimes. We possess the ability to create awe-inspiring destructive weapons to eliminate "the enemy" but we can't seem to learn to live with each other in peace. I know that's a really leftist way of looking at it and it's not as black-and-white as my comments make it seem but come on. I mean at least like, is it really that hard for people this day and age not to fucking torpedo innocent kids on a beach.

Some days I wish someone would just push a red button in some underground facility and wipe us all out. Or that Bruce Willis and his roughnecks never destroyed that asteroid.
----
17.07.2014 - 09:48
no one
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.07.2014 at 09:26

Some days I wish someone would just push a red button in some underground facility and wipe us all out. Or that Bruce Willis and his roughnecks never destroyed that asteroid.

i really do reckon nature will have it's way and fuck us all up eventually
17.07.2014 - 16:33
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by deadone on 17.07.2014 at 09:49

Only problem is everything else that we'll wipe out in the process.

I don't consider that a problem. You can't apply morals to that. There is no good or bad in the fact the dinosaurs got wiped out. It just happened. We value life because we are alive and want to hang on to it. But life is just an active chemical state. The reduction of that activity to zero shouldn't raise any moral questions.

I'm saying that but I'm still going to buy shoes tomorrow.
17.07.2014 - 21:28
no one
Account deleted
Hows that Malaysian plane going down...damn!
17.07.2014 - 21:34
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 17.07.2014 at 21:28

Hows that Malaysian plane going down...damn!

I think plane lost its place anyway but missile teared it apart.

Sad to see those debris flying away and burnt dead bodies loitered everywhere.
25.07.2014 - 21:48
moonflash

Written by deadone on 17.07.2014 at 09:49

Only problem is everything else that we'll wipe out in the process.

The only thing that would bother me if the human race were to be made extinct would be that what could've been if our planet wasn't full of egomaniacal monkeys hell bent on killing each other over pieces of land and justifying murder with some twisted ideology or marketable idea. We could've been like one of those galactic empires venturing out into the universe and colonizing planets and all the other extraterrestrial races would marvel at our great civilzation, our history, arts and culture and learn from us. And we'd learn about their culture and live together in harmony.
But alas, I don't think that is meant to be, looking at the current state of affairs and the tragedy of the human condition.
----
[http://atthematinee.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/voyagedans.jpg]
26.07.2014 - 21:49
0rpheus

Written by Ernis on 18.07.2014 at 21:23

I see people... and I do not hold people responsible for their political leaders' crimes... and no one can say that "but people have elected these leaders"... I haven't personally elected ours and I don't believe it's much different in many other places...

Same here, I've always felt that governments don't represent its people and I ask myself "who did elect the leaders responsible for these governments?! and then I realize those people I'm taking about are not the majority. Aha, so let's rephrase it "Democratic governments represent the majority of its people." hmm, maybe! and then I remember H. L. Mencken's quote "Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance."
----
I would prefer not to.
29.07.2014 - 21:48
no one
Account deleted
Hows the new dole laws in aus, i hate lazy doll bludgers as much as anyone but they seem a bit harsh...or do they? I'm not sure, like i have a mother in law on the dole because she simply just can't get a job. She trys very very hard, she is a qualified teacher but they just don't seem to want old teachers anymore, the new laws would be terrible for her and way too harsh.
And then there's complete lazy pot smoking bums like my brother in law who i think the new laws would apply for very well