03. Call To Arms
04. Reborn
05. Leaving The Road
06. Far Too Long
07. Black Death
08. Standing Tall
09. London Moon
10. Broken Wings

After a strong debut, Sinbreed have returned with an even better sophomore album. Shadows brings the same manner of speed-power, but with more energy and stronger songwriting to make Sinbreed a band on the rise.

Worthy of mention is the fact that Sinbreed contains one-half of Blind Guardian, namely guitarist Marcus Siepen and drummer Frederik Ehmke. I'm not going to spend this whole review examining how this measures up to Blind Guardian out of respect for an independent project, but I'll be a blind goat farmer on the moon if the intro to "Leaving The Road" doesn't sound like "Imaginations From The Other Side." (I'm not, for the record, a blind goat farmer on the moon.) Some of that lovely BG guitar tone lends a welcome familiarity to the work as well.

Fronted by Herbie Langhans, the Seventh Avenue veteran with a Jørn Lande-ish voice, Sinbreed are not exactly the most esoteric band out there, but the relatively bare-bones approach (for power metal, at least) suits them. Partly riff-driven and partly hook-driven, the songs are pretty simple and catchy; I'll admit it took a few listens to allow this album to do its work, but after letting them sink in, "Bleed" and "Call To Arms," among others, are some fantastic power metal pieces. Shadows mixes the excitement and vigor of new blood with the confidence and mastery of old blood in a manner appropriate to the band's membership.

While Shadows contains very little in the way of experimentation or extraordinary technical displays (outside of the drums, which are of a caliber typical to both high-speed metal and Frederik Ehmke), it does contain a sense of very capable musicianship nonetheless. Sinbreed can exert their abilities without being too flashy or ostentatious, which preserves the integrity of their direct, unrelenting approach. Shadows leads off with its strongest offerings, especially the phenomenal "Bleed," but the sublime "Broken Wings" anchors the second half of the album.

Sinbreed play crisp, no-frills power metal with strong vocals, memorable songs, and the sense of a massive metal beast lurking just below the surface. Shadows is an improvement over When Worlds Collide, which itself was a respectable album, so hopefully the future will bring even greater things for Sinbreed.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written on 06.04.2014 by I'm the reviewer, and that means my opinion is correct.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 193 users
06.04.2014 - 22:05
psykometal
A staff guy...
Sounds like something I should check out. Will do asap.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

06.04.2014 - 22:34
LascaillesShroud

Everything about this superbly arousing me. I enjoy much.
07.04.2014 - 14:53
Rulatore

I remember this being good, but what annoyed me were the solos, from what I remember, they were awful, or didn't exist. I'll need to re-listen to it. Marcos does help a lot here, I was surprised when I heard about it. Frederik performance I just found it good, nothing really special.
07.04.2014 - 21:28
Rating: 9
Hyperion

Dude, as i listen to this album i find all the things that made me like Seventh Avenue and Sinbreed and even more. definately an inmense improvement from the first album, which i kinda found boring :/
----
It wasn't long until they left their cave and wondered outside once more, amazed they realized that the world had not ended as they had fearfully believed during the night. In fact, the grass was greener, the air fresher and the sun had risen again.
15.04.2014 - 11:02
thefallenalchmst

This record fucking kills. Loved it.
----
www.thegrimtower.com (updated ftequently with reviews and interviews!)

www.torii.bandcamp.com (black/doom/death)

Hits total: 4986 | This month: 4