‹‹ Back to the General metal forum
Users visited: 67  
Search this topic:  

deadone
Mainstream Poser

08.04.2014 at 04:41
Came across this series of articles by a guy who used to be a metal writer in the mainstream press:

http://lastrit.es/articles/759/mainstreaming-metal

http://lastrit.es/articles/769/mainstreaming-metal

http://lastrit.es/articles/778/mainstreaming-metal

He writes some interesting points.

I especially agreed with these:

1. Metal websites that never write "negative" reviews and everything gets labelled as awesome.

A lot of websites are indeed like this. The reviews are pointless and usually just sycophantic drooling and suckholing.

One can't believe that every single metal album is awesome, let alone by bands that regurgitate the same album every 2 years (e.g. Kataklysm, Amon Amarth etc).

And one thing I've noticed is negative reviews seem to be based on overall perceptions rather than critical analysis.

E.g. people running around claiming Super Collider was worse than Risk. Really? When was the last time they heard Risk (or The World Needs A Hero or Cryptic Writings)? And what were they expecting?!?

Good quality writing is so hard to find today in a world full of internet drivel.

2. Metal press getting involved in cheap and nasty "tabloid" style articles ala coverage of murders by Metal Sucks or boob obsession by Revolver.

Personally I think this goes deeper and it's part of the integration of metal into mainstream cultural elements - I'm amazed we don't have Metal reality tv shows.

Any how looking forward to part 4!
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

08.04.2014 at 04:43
We get it dude, it isn't 1985 anymore.
----
Prettier than BloodTears.
deadone
Mainstream Poser

08.04.2014 at 04:48
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.04.2014 at 04:43

Actually the bulk of the articles are about suck hole reviews and lack of attempts at critical writing. He also talks about writing metal articles for mainstream pop media and questions why is that viewed as such a negative thing by the metal community.

He mentions an old haunt of mine Metal Reviews as an example of suck hole reviews and I totally agree. The reviews there were generally always positive.

Metal Sucks is even worse - for something that potrays itself as underground, it's very trend driven.

And these are some of the better websites.

The magazines have to a large degree always been like that.

Though Terrorizer was quite funny in that there'd be an interview with a band that praised their new release, whilst the review would often be more negative. Of course Terrorizer never slagged off anything by one of their pet bands though. Someone like Isis could've shit in a bucket and Terrorizer would've sucked their cocks in celebration.
no one

08.04.2014 at 05:00
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.04.2014 at 04:43

fuck you do some funny posts !
----
hipster fag
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

08.04.2014 at 05:03
Written by deadone on 08.04.2014 at 04:48
Though Terrorizer was quite funny in that there'd be an interview with a band that praised their new release, whilst the review would often be more negative. Of course Terrorizer never slagged off anything by one of their pet bands though.

I think you're investing too much stock in what reviewers have to say and how metal culture has evolved. I don't agree with webzines solely endorsing positive reviews, but that seems to be the way things have developed due to hits and ads and how they relate to traffic. Web designers like to make a profit for their work, and metal webzines are no different. If the reviewers continually bash new releases, labels won't want to work with you in the future. For sites that rely on publishing content ahead of others, that can be incredibly detrimental.
----
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

08.04.2014 at 05:04
Written by no one on 08.04.2014 at 05:00
:lol:

Thanks, although I kind of feel like an asshole sometimes. :/
----
Karlabos
<insert title>

08.04.2014 at 05:08
^ Killjoys will be killjoys
----
( ˘ﮦ ᴗ ˘ﮦ) ♪ '
deadone
Mainstream Poser

08.04.2014 at 05:11
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.04.2014 at 05:03

I think you're investing too much stock in what reviewers have to say and how metal culture has evolved. I don't agree with webzines solely endorsing positive reviews, but that seems to be the way things have developed due to hits and ads and how they relate to traffic. Web designers like to make a profit for their work, and metal webzines are no different. If the reviewers continually bash new releases, labels won't want to work with you in the future. For sites that rely on publishing content ahead of others, that can be incredibly detrimental.

I understand need for profit, but I always thought purpose of fanzines and webzines was more hobby related than profit related.

And the internet with it's often cheaper costs than print copy offers the promise of more editorial freedom as need for cash flow is diminished.

Instead we generally get the same old suckholism that have been part of the print media since someone figured out they could pay for advertising.

And it's not about continually bashing bands. Rather it's about looking at what an album offers.

The worst thing about the suckhole reviews is that they must result in diminished readership as people generally stop reading after a while?

After all if an author describes every album by a band as awesome, what's the point of their writing, let alone reading it?

I used to love the old Metal Judgment website. Each review had a panel of three reviewers that gave their take on the album.

But it went defunct years ago.

I spent a lot of time in the "wilderness" looking for a more objective website.

I think MS offers that due to the ability for anyone to contribute. There are still fanboy articles but at least the comments and ratings function allows some objectivity or at least offer a different view point.
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Fuck

08.04.2014 at 11:28
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.04.2014 at 05:03

If the reviewers continually bash new releases, labels won't want to work with you in the future. For sites that rely on publishing content ahead of others, that can be incredibly detrimental.

Only when they CONTINUALLY bash new releases. Not when they are normal crictical and that is something loads of webzines aren't. They find everything awesome, no matter ho crap or derivative something is.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

!J.O.O.E.!
Thought Police

08.04.2014 at 11:35
Quote:
And one thing I've noticed is negative reviews seem to be based on overall perceptions rather than critical analysis.

Quite a statement coming from someone that spent about 5 pages on MS trying to convince me critical analysis didn't exist in reviews as they are entirely down to personal tastes
----
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

08.04.2014 at 11:43
Oh for sure, any time you avoid critiquing albums and solely publish positive reviews you're bound to lose some credibility. Readers want to know reviewers actually have an opinion rather than just churning out safe reviews praising every new album under the sun.
----
!J.O.O.E.!
Thought Police

08.04.2014 at 11:50
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.04.2014 at 05:04

Not really, it was funny and I think it's probably what a lot of people think when they see his posts.
----
Cynic Metalhead
Atrocious Virgin

08.04.2014 at 12:31
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.04.2014 at 05:04

Written by no one on 08.04.2014 at 05:00
:lol:

----
Migtanteot

12.04.2014 at 01:28
I think you can´t just erase personal opinions from a review,talking about music. It isn´t a liveless electronic dispositive wich works in a determinated way, and make reviews focusing in technical issues. What I concider a good review is that one wich found the balance among technical issues and the feelings the listener receives. and then discuss may be about the writer´s accuracy. Some idealistic believes.
deadone
Mainstream Poser

14.04.2014 at 13:43
Part IV: Hipsters, Posers and Kvlt Kids:

http://lastrit.es/articles/787/mainstreaming-metal

Seems like I'm a poser according to this article!

Advertise on Metal Storm

Login or register to post here.