Metal Storm logo
Opeth - New Album Title And Tracklist Revealed

And the title of the upcoming Opeth album is... Pale Communion! Roadrunner Records just unveiled the fact that the album will hit the stores worldwide on June 17th. Among other things, now we know that Pale Communion was produced by bandleader Mikael Åkerfeldt and mixed by longtime collaborator and Porcupine Tree frontman/guitarist Steven Wilson.

The lead single off the album will be "Cusp Of Eternity", available for pre-order starting Tuesday, May 6th. Mikael Åkerfeldt stated: "I wanted to do something more melodic with this album... there's stronger vocal melodies and more melodies overall... I was pretty consistent with that frame of mind throughout the writing process."

The tracklist for Pale Communion reads as follows:

01. Eternal Rains Will Come
02. Cusp Of Eternity
03. Moon Above, Sun Below
04. Elysian Woes
05. Goblin
06. River
07. Voice Of Treason
08. Faith in Others

Do you have a good feeling about this? New music and the album artwork should be unveiled soon.

Mikael Åkerfeldt

Source: roadrunnerrecords.com
Band profile: Opeth
Posted: 08.04.2014 by R Lewis

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 82   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 496 users
08.04.2014 - 18:53
Alondate

I will check this for goblin
08.04.2014 - 18:54
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Title is cool. Still hoping for something good. I'm pretty sure it will surprise me in some way as I'm not expecting anything in particular other than good music.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
08.04.2014 - 18:54
♥Insomnium

This album will progressive rock too?
08.04.2014 - 18:56
bazinko

Pale Communion.... Bass Communion... Steven Wilson. Coincidence? Regardless, I cannot wait for this! June isn't even that far away. Opeth never disappoint!
08.04.2014 - 19:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Steven Wilson will once again turn something into something turdlike. Reversed midas touch that guy has when it comes to producing.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.04.2014 - 19:19
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
All looks quite promising. Looking forward to seeing the artwork and hearing some samples.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
08.04.2014 - 19:21
whatsacow

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.04.2014 at 19:00

Steven Wilson will once again turn something into something turdlike. Reversed midas touch that guy has when it comes to producing.

What do you mean? Either back it up or you're just being controversial for the sake of it. I mean the Opeth albums he produced were far from my favourites, but that was due to Opeth's music rather than Steve's production.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
08.04.2014 - 19:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by whatsacow on 08.04.2014 at 19:21

What do you mean? Either back it up or you're just being controversial for the sake of it. I mean the Opeth albums he produced were far from my favourites, but that was due to Opeth's music rather than Steve's production.

Lie all produces he also meddled with the songwriting (especially on the last huge turd of an album) Had he only engineered the album there would have been no problem. But the Guy's become an extra member of the band.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.04.2014 - 19:25
mz

I adore SW's producing ability when it comes to PT but his collabiration with opeth was not good. I love albums opeth have done with him, but a little less clear production whould have suited more.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
08.04.2014 - 19:33
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.04.2014 at 19:23

Lie all produces he also meddled with the songwriting (especially on the last huge turd of an album) Had he only engineered the album there would have been no problem. But the Guy's become an extra member of the band.

He only mixed this album, production was only handled by Mikael according to the article.
08.04.2014 - 19:34
whatsacow

Fair enough, but I'd like to point out while Opeth's last album was shit, Wilson also produced Blackwater Park, Damnation, and Deliverance. They're all great albums. In my opinion they aren't as good a MAYH, Still Life or Ghost Reveries, but they're still pretty darn decent.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
08.04.2014 - 19:35
Uldreth

I liked Heritage more than Watershed and Deliverance tbh.

Also I seem to remember an article that had info from some contact of the band that there were no harsh vocals on the album but is more varied and less wanky compared to Heritage, unfortunately I cannot find that article...
08.04.2014 - 19:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by whatsacow on 08.04.2014 at 19:34

Fair enough, but I'd like to point out while Opeth's last album was shit, Wilson also produced Blackwater Park, Damnation, and Deliverance. They're all great albums. In my opinion they aren't as good a MAYH, Still Life or Ghost Reveries, but they're still pretty darn decent.

Only Blackwater Park was great to good in my book. But after BWPP it has gone downhill fast. Even when Wilson only mixes stuff he makes it sound way to sterile.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.04.2014 - 19:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Uldreth on 08.04.2014 at 19:35

Also I seem to remember an article that had info from some contact of the band that there were no harsh vocals on the album but is more varied and less wanky compared to Heritage, unfortunately I cannot find that article...

http://www.metalinjection.net/reviews/first-impressions-of-the-new-untitled-opeth-album-a-track-by-track-review
08.04.2014 - 19:46
Uldreth

Written by Guest on 08.04.2014 at 19:37

Written by Uldreth on 08.04.2014 at 19:35

http://www.metalinjection.net/reviews/first-impressions-of-the-new-untitled-opeth-album-a-track-by-track-review

Yup, that one.

Tbh I don't mind his worship of and comparing to Damnation and Ghost Reveries. Those two are my favourite post-Morningrise Opeth albums.
08.04.2014 - 20:34
Lethrokai

Steven Wilson's words on the album:

"The new Opeth album Pale Communion was mixed into stereo and 5.1 at my studio in February. I also sang harmony vocals. It's by no stretch of the imagination a metal record but it's still plenty heavy and a great piece of work - for me the epic orchestrated ballad "Faith in Others" that closes the album is Mikael Åkerfeldt's finest achievement to date."

Your thoughts?
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
08.04.2014 - 20:37
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Lethrokai on 08.04.2014 at 20:34

Your thoughts?

Not positive.
08.04.2014 - 20:57
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Progressive Rock or Progressive Metal, I don't care. Generally I don't care about Opeth right now... I really like Heritage though. I'm pretty sure that Pale Communion will be a good album but I'm just not in a right 'mood' for Opeth music. I was a huge fan of Opeth in 2008 (you can see that ) but nowadays I'm not interested in their music that much.
08.04.2014 - 21:01
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Why they didn't rename title to Pale Melodic?!

Anyway, I'll check out this album for the sake of "checking" it out. Last output was satisfactory but it had decent songs. No hopes loaned on this record.
08.04.2014 - 21:23
Opethian

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.04.2014 at 19:36

Written by whatsacow on 08.04.2014 at 19:34

Only Blackwater Park was great to good in my book. But after BWPP it has gone downhill fast. Even when Wilson only mixes stuff he makes it sound way to sterile.

What are you trying to prove by commenting on here? Denial written all over you pal lol
08.04.2014 - 21:24
Opethian

Stoked for this. Sounds a lot more promising then Heritage. BRING IT!!!
08.04.2014 - 21:25
advent

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.04.2014 at 19:23

Written by whatsacow on 08.04.2014 at 19:21

well he also responsible for me for turning Mikael into lame 70's prog fan, this guy affects his music taste if u ask me!
08.04.2014 - 21:25
The Galactician

I like the fact that there will be a focus on lots of melody with this record. Not something I need in all my music by any means, but I think that's an area Opeth and Åkerfeldt have really excelled, and it's something that was lacking for me with Heritage.
08.04.2014 - 23:26
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Just hope that this won't be a Heritage II. It will contain no death vocals, which disappoints me.. But also, I read that someone compared this to Ghost Reveries and Damnation. So this COULD turn out to be something amazing after all!
08.04.2014 - 23:51
LascaillesShroud

I am excited for this whichever way they go. I was sold on Heritage from the start.
09.04.2014 - 00:04
Ocean Sage

I really hope the production sounds like what Heritage sounded like live.
09.04.2014 - 00:17
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Written by ♥Insomnium on 08.04.2014 at 18:54

This album will progressive rock too?

A little bit heavier than the previous release, but no harsh vocals!
09.04.2014 - 01:37
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

I personally don't care if there are harsh vox or not. Heaven forbid a metal band doesn't use them. It's not like these guys are Cannibal Corpse.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
09.04.2014 - 01:37
Hallford9000

Quote:
He only mixed this album, production was only handled by Mikael according to the article.

Well, mixing can change how an album sounds drastically. But Steven Wilson was always an hit or miss to me when it comes to mixing. Hey either makes it sounding weird or interesting, never fully balanced, which can be a good thing...
09.04.2014 - 05:14
psykometal
A staff guy...
@All you going on about Opeth still being a metal band but with no harsh vocals... Y'all must have missed this post.
Quote:
Steven Wilson's words on the album:

"The new Opeth album Pale Communion was mixed into stereo and 5.1 at my studio in February. I also sang harmony vocals. It's by no stretch of the imagination a metal record but it's still plenty heavy and a great piece of work - for me the epic orchestrated ballad "Faith in Others" that closes the album is Mikael Åkerfeldt's finest achievement to date."

So yes, it is a prog ROCK album. No, it is NOT anything close to Metal. Yes, Opeth IS now a prog ROCK band, NO LONGER a metal band. No, the album will NOT sound anything like NWOBHM.

Hope this helps clear the apparently foggy air a little bit for everybody.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

Hits total: 6673 | This month: 12