Metal Storm logo
Summoning Albums: Best To Worst

So I finally decided to go through with creating this list. The reason is simple: Summoning is easily one of my favourite bands ever. On top of that, they're also one of the most consistent bands ever, despite the fact that all the albums sound so different from each other. Yes, you read that correctly: to a Summoning fan literally every album is unique in their own way and don't really sound so much alike as people want to make you believe. One thing is certain, most of their albums (not Lugburz) fall under the category of mid-paced Epic Atmospheric Black Metal, with some Folk elements added here and there. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Summoning is definitely the ultimate Tolkien-influenced band. I added ratings (yes, they're very high, I'm aware of that) as well as the best songs (my personal favourites) of each album to the list, and a short description as well. Choosing the best songs was particularly hard for the top 3 albums, because most of the songs on those albums are excellent. Lastly, let me know your opinion by leaving a comment. After all, opinions is what these kind of lists are about.

Here are links to the full albums (YouTube):
1. Summoning - Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame
2. Summoning - Stronghold
3. Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn
4. Summoning - Minas Morgul
5. Summoning - Oath Bound
6. Summoning - Dol Guldur
7. Summoning - Lugburz

Created by: Erik M. | 11.04.2014

1. Summoning - Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame
2001 / Rating: 10 / Best songs: In Hollow Halls Beneath The Fells, The Mountain King's Return, Farewell / Out of all Summoning albums, this is probably their most epic one, and it also has the most variety going on (along with Stronghold). A true masterpiece that evokes a majestic, uplifting feeling. The song Farewell would be the best example of this, which is one of the best songs they ever created. Oh, and if you're looking for music that goes well with the awesome LotR trilogy, then this is without a doubt the right album for you.
2. Summoning - Stronghold
1999 / Rating: 9.5 / Best songs: Long Lost To Where No Pathway Goes, Like Some Snow-White Marble Eyes, A Distant Flame Before The Sun / A rather different record from most of their other works, style-wise and lyric-wise (as it's the only non-Tolkien album). The focus is more on the keyboards here than on the drums, which makes it slightly less epic in a sense, but still incredible due to the great (variety of) melodies. The atmosphere here is what really stands out. A brilliant album which used to be my favourite, until I listened to LMHSYF. The female vocals on Where Hope And Daylight Die are very well done and it's really something that makes this album even more unique.
3. Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn
2013 / Rating: 9.5 / Best songs: Old Mornings Dawn, Caradhras, Earthshine / This album blew me away when I heard it last year and ever since remained my favourite 2013 album, after countless spins. It's totally epic and extremely consistent. The use of multiple music layers is really well done here. The use of atmospheric elements (sounds of thunder clapping, waves clashing, wolves howling etc.) is nothing short of impressive. A glorious return after 7 years of absence. The only song that I like slightly less is The Wandering Fire.
4. Summoning - Minas Morgul
1995 / Rating: 9 / Best songs: Morthond, Dagor Bragollach, Dor Daedeloth / This album was my introduction to the band and it took a lot of spins (5-10) before I even liked it a lot. Not exactly the best album to start off with, as it's hard to get into. While it's not nearly their best album, it's still excellent. It's the first Summoning album on which their characteristic sound is heard. This album features quite a few songs with awesome synth-driven melodies. For example, the intro of Morthond, which sounds pretty damn magical. And Dagor Bragollach is just a one-of-a-kind song that's just too awesome for its own good. This would've been one hell of a debut. I'd call this their most underrated album.
5. Summoning - Oath Bound
2006 / Rating: 9 / Best songs: Across The Streaming Tide, Mirdautas Vras, Land Of The Dead / The intro (Bauglir) is so awesome I'd almost include it in my favourite tracks. This album is one of the most upfilting records in their discography. Mainly because of a more folk-oriented approach and drums that make the whole album sound epic as f*ck. One of my favourite Summoning tracks is on this: Across the Streaming Tide. Might be the most uplifting song ever. Mirdautas Vras is great because the vocals are in the Black Speech of Mordor, which sounds pretty badass to say the least. This album is very consistent overall, but also has less variety to it than most other albums in their discography.
6. Summoning - Dol Guldur
1996 / Rating: 8.5 / Best songs: Elfstone, Kôr, Over Old Hills / According to many the first excellent Summoning record (I don't agree), with its long songs (9-11 minutes) and obvious Tolkien influences (like the track Khazad Dûm shows, for instance). While lacking a bit in variety compared to some of their other work, that is compensated by some great classic melodies. One thing I like less about this album is the chorus in Unto A Long Glory..., which is probably my least favourite song on the album.
7. Summoning - Lugburz
1995 / Rating: 7.5 / Best songs: Beyond Bloodred Horizons, Through The Valley Of The Frozen Kingdom, Dragons Of Time / Any Summoning fan would rank this low or at the bottom in a list like this. It's definitely good stuff, but they haven't really developed their characteristic style yet on this album, which basically means it's pretty straight-forward Black Metal with some melodies thrown in (keyboards). It all sounds raw and less appealing compared to their other albums. However, the Tolkien influences are definitely there, which is at least something that makes it a Summoning album. It's safe to say that people who aren't fond of this band's sound will probably like this album the most.

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Erik M. ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 48   Visited by: 268 users
11.04.2014 - 22:07
PocketMetal

In Hallow Halls ... is definitely in my top 3 Summoning songs, but I don't really get the songs after that one, LMHSYF is probably the one Summoning record that remains a mystery to me.
11.04.2014 - 22:13
Erik M.

Written by PocketMetal on 11.04.2014 at 22:07

In Hallow Halls ... is definitely in my top 3 Summoning songs, but I don't really get the songs after that one, LMHSYF is probably the one Summoning record that remains a mystery to me.

Haha, that's weird. I kind of have that in case of Oath Bound. I feel like I'm supposed to love it, but for some reason I like it less than most other albums. However, as the 8.5 score indicates, I still think it's great. But that high score is mainly due to my three favourite tracks that are on it. A few of the tracks are really hard for me to distinguish from each other, unlike what's the case with any other album (except for Lugburz as well though). I would tell you to spin LMHSYF again, but I really liked it the first time I heard it and it only kept getting better. And now, after many spins I still love it.
11.04.2014 - 22:26
Erik M.

Written by PocketMetal on 11.04.2014 at 22:07

But come on, how can you not like this:

11.04.2014 - 22:31
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I'd have the same two first ones
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
11.04.2014 - 22:33
Erik M.

Written by Karlabos on 11.04.2014 at 22:31

Nice. Haven't you heard the others or are those just ranked differently? Maybe I should add links to the full albums (Youtube) to this list. Good idea or not?
11.04.2014 - 23:08
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Erik M. on 11.04.2014 at 22:33

Written by Karlabos on 11.04.2014 at 22:31

Nice. Haven't you heard the others or are those just ranked differently? Maybe I should add links to the full albums (Youtube) to this list. Good idea or not?

Among the others I just heard Oath Bound and Minas Morgul. Either way I think I'd put Minas Morgul over Oath Bound, so still kind on the same order =P
I guess if you can find links to the albums then it wouldn't hurt to add.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
11.04.2014 - 23:19
Erik M.

Written by Karlabos on 11.04.2014 at 23:08

Among the others I just heard Oath Bound and Minas Morgul. Either way I think I'd put Minas Morgul over Oath Bound, so still kind on the same order =P
I guess if you can find links to the albums then it wouldn't hurt to add.

Well, then it seems your order is exactly the same as mine, so far.

It sucks that adding clickable Youtube links in the list itself isn't possible, so I'll think about how I'm going to add them (if I do).
12.04.2014 - 00:09
Lit.
Account deleted
12.04.2014 - 00:11
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 12.04.2014 at 00:09

We already have a Best of Summoning list.

I know, but when that one is a pretty serious list, my own Summoning list is a joke list. I figured that was rather obvious.
12.04.2014 - 00:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 12.04.2014 at 00:11

I know, but when that one is a pretty serious list, my own Summoning list is a joke list. I figured that was rather obvious.

did you deliberately get this sentence mixed up?
12.04.2014 - 00:28
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 12.04.2014 at 00:27

did you deliberately get this sentence mixed up?

Yes. Damn me that it wasn't obvious enough.
12.04.2014 - 00:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 12.04.2014 at 00:28

Yes. Damn me that it wasn't obvious enough.

I'm not quite sure you've mastered the art of sarcasm in your comments yet then
12.04.2014 - 01:35
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Good list and descriptions. I'm not sure what my list would be like. Summoning have always had a few songs that blow me away or just bore me (out of repetition) on every album pretty much. The songs you listed as your favourites were a lot of mine too.
12.04.2014 - 13:07
Erik M.

Written by Dark Cornatus on 12.04.2014 at 01:35

Good list and descriptions. I'm not sure what my list would be like. Summoning have always had a few songs that blow me away or just bore me (out of repetition) on every album pretty much. The songs you listed as your favourites were a lot of mine too.

Thanks! I'm pretty satisfied with the descriptions as well. It's actually the first time I wrote these kind of mini-reviews (maybe calling them that is being generous though). The reason is that most people aren't familiar with Summoning's whole discography (lots of MS'ers just know Old Mornings Dawn I think) so they might help a little. Anyway, they're definitely a band that has a rather repetitive sound in their songs. This is mostly the case on Oath Bound, Dol Guldur and Old Mornings Dawn. The other albums have quite a bit more variety I'd say.

These kind of lists are often not popular at all. In Summoning's case it's even worse, because of two reasons: 1. there are not many real Summoning fans on MS, as in: barely anyone has listened to all their albums, 2. their discography is so consistent that there's no general consensus of how the albums "should be" ranked (like is also true in Opeth's case, but that band is of course much more popular). Doesn't really matter either way to me. I just felt like creating this list for a long time already, but I waited until I know each album well enough to do so. All of them I've at least listened to 10+ times (except for Lugburz) and most probably 20+.
12.04.2014 - 22:32
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Haven't you described each album enough?
Let Mortals... is such a good album though and agree with you that its their most epic and atmospheric.
13.04.2014 - 19:40
Erik M.

Written by CyberSymphony on 12.04.2014 at 22:32

Let Mortals... is such a good album though and agree with you that its their most epic and atmospheric.

Do you mean that I often talk about Summoning in general or that my descriptions/mini-reviews are too long?

What would your ranking look like?
14.04.2014 - 21:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Good list but I am not so good as judge I need re listen alöl albums from a to z... but good band
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.04.2014 - 22:30
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Written by Erik M. on 13.04.2014 at 19:40

Written by CyberSymphony on 12.04.2014 at 22:32

Do you mean that I often talk about Summoning in general or that my descriptions/mini-reviews are too long?

What would your ranking look like?

Probably Stronghold is would be top, as I've listened to it most, then Oath Bound, then... tie between Old Mornings Yawn and Let Mortals..., last would also be Lugburz for me too.
15.04.2014 - 14:15
donmuath

Written by Erik M. on 12.04.2014 at 13:07

Written by Dark Cornatus on 12.04.2014 at 01:35

Thanks! I'm pretty satisfied with the descriptions as well. It's actually the first time I wrote these kind of mini-reviews (maybe calling them that is being generous though). The reason is that most people aren't familiar with Summoning's whole discography (lots of MS'ers just know Old Mornings Dawn I think) so they might help a little. Anyway, they're definitely a band that has a rather repetitive sound in their songs. This is mostly the case on Oath Bound, Dol Guldur and Old Mornings Dawn. The other albums have quite a bit more variety I'd say.

These kind of lists are often not popular at all. In Summoning's case it's even worse, because of two reasons: 1. there are not many real Summoning fans on MS, as in: barely anyone has listened to all their albums, 2. their discography is so consistent that there's no general consensus of how the albums "should be" ranked (like is also true in Opeth's case, but that band is of course much more popular). Doesn't really matter either way to me. I just felt like creating this list for a long time already, but I waited until I know each album well enough to do so. All of them I've at least listened to 10+ times (except for Lugburz) and most probably 20+.

You're right there I'm afraid, the only summoning album I heard was Old Mornings Dawn and I loved it. Your list helped motivate me and I'm going to check out the rest of their discography now, starting with Let Mortal..
15.04.2014 - 20:37
Erik M.

Written by Bad English on 14.04.2014 at 21:52

Good list but I am not so good as judge I need re listen alöl albums from a to z... but good band

Well, every album is just one click away here, as I linked them all. So go ahead and re-listen to them if you feel like it.
15.04.2014 - 20:41
Erik M.

Written by CyberSymphony on 14.04.2014 at 22:30

Probably Stronghold is would be top, as I've listened to it most, then Oath Bound, then... tie between Old Mornings Yawn and Let Mortals..., last would also be Lugburz for me too.

Oath Bound just rose to #4, but I won't say I'll never change that again in the future, because #4-6 are very close to each other in terms of how much I like them. So the top 3 here will definitely stay the same, as will Lugburz at #7. You say "Old Mornings Yawn" yet you seem to love it. Having Stronghold at #1 is something I can definitely see, because it used to be my favourite as well. It arguably has the most variety out of all their albums.
15.04.2014 - 20:45
Erik M.

Written by donmuath on 15.04.2014 at 14:15

You're right there I'm afraid, the only summoning album I heard was Old Mornings Dawn and I loved it. Your list helped motivate me and I'm going to check out the rest of their discography now, starting with Let Mortal..

Yeah, it seemed lots of MS users only checked out Old Mornings Dawn and not any/most of their other albums. Really strange if you ask me, because when I like one album from a band a lot, I'd want to check out their other stuff as well. So I'm glad you decided to do just that.

LMHSYF however isn't their most accessible album, so it might take you a few spins to appreciate it... and when you do, you'll love it (probably). It has quite a bit more variety than OMD I'd say though. Oh, and thanks for the +1.
15.04.2014 - 21:48
donmuath

Written by Erik M. on 15.04.2014 at 20:45

Written by donmuath on 15.04.2014 at 14:15

Yeah, it seemed lots of MS users only checked out Old Mornings Dawn and not any/most of their other albums. Really strange if you ask me, because when I like one album from a band a lot, I'd want to check out their other stuff as well. So I'm glad you decided to do just that.

LMHSYF however isn't their most accessible album, so it might take you a few spins to appreciate it... and when you do, you'll love it (probably). It has quite a bit more variety than OMD I'd say though. Oh, and thanks for the +1.

Just finished listening to it, not the easiest album to digest but am intrigued, seems like the perfect soundtrack for my Baldur's Gate rerun
15.04.2014 - 21:52
Erik M.

Written by donmuath on 15.04.2014 at 21:48

Just finished listening to it, not the easiest album to digest but am intrigued, seems like the perfect soundtrack for my Baldur's Gate rerun

Yep, totally agreed there. It took me quite a few spins before I considered it to be a masterpiece. But even after many spins it's still brilliant. Farewell still blows me away every time I listen to it. The majestic clean vocals (and lyrics) just make it sound epic as fuck.

Don't give up on it.
18.04.2014 - 16:32
moonflash

In the darkness..bind them..
----
[http://atthematinee.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/voyagedans.jpg]
18.04.2014 - 16:39
Erik M.

Written by moonflash on 18.04.2014 at 16:32

Haha, that part is especially epic, am I right?

18.04.2014 - 16:48
moonflash

Written by Erik M. on 18.04.2014 at 16:39

Written by moonflash on 18.04.2014 at 16:32

Haha, that part is especially epic, am I right?

Best part on that album in my opinion. It's just so hauntingly mesmerising, brilliant song as well.
----
18.04.2014 - 17:15
Erik M.

Written by moonflash on 18.04.2014 at 16:48

Best part on that album in my opinion. It's just so hauntingly mesmerising, brilliant song as well.

Well, it's the best song on the album after Farewell, for me. The whole album is brilliant of course.

How would you rank the albums?
18.04.2014 - 18:07
moonflash

Quote:
Written by Erik M. on 18.04.2014 at 17:15

Well, it's the best song on the album after Farewell, for me. The whole album is brilliant of course.

How would you rank the albums?

Ah yes, Farewell is another awesome one. Well, I wouldn't be a good judge of ranking their discography, as I only discovered them last year and am still unfamiliar with their earlier work. From what I've heard, LMHSYF is the best one without question, followed by Stronghold and OMD: It is quite close between those two, but I consider Stronghold to be a tad bit more epic going by the overall feel of the album. Both phenomenal records of course. Oath bound comes in default 4th place, quite good but inferior to the others, Land of the Dead is quite an outstanding ending to an album though. And those are all the albums I've listened to by Summoning as of yet, will give you an update once I try out the others which will presumably be quite soon as I've really liked everything they've put out upto this point.

P.S. I also liked Emyn Muil's album from last year. Quite a decent Summoning clone, try it out here if you haven't already
http://tinyurl.com/kno8ynv
----
18.04.2014 - 20:13
Erik M.

Written by moonflash on 18.04.2014 at 18:07

Ah yes, Farewell is another awesome one. Well, I wouldn't be a good judge of ranking their discography, as I only discovered them last year and am still unfamiliar with their earlier work. From what I've heard, LMHSYF is the best one without question, followed by Stronghold and OMD: It is quite close between those two, but I consider Stronghold to be a tad bit more epic going by the overall feel of the album. Both phenomenal records of course. Oath bound comes in default 4th place, quite good but inferior to the others, Land of the Dead is quite an outstanding ending to an album though. And those are all the albums I've listened to by Summoning as of yet, will give you an update once I try out the others which will presumably be quite soon as I've really liked everything they've put out upto this point.

P.S. I also liked Emyn Muil's album last year. Quite a decent Summoning clone, try it out here if you haven't already
http://tinyurl.com/kno8ynv

Funny you say this, because for me it's also hard to choose between Stronghold and OMD. While the top 3 is absolutely set for me (9.5/10 or higher), I might decide to switch Stronghold and OMD. While I love OMD, I can't deny it has quite a bit less variety in it than Stronghold. That's the main reason I'd say. Right now Oath Bound is still behind Minas Morgul though, but not by much. While the former is more consistent, has a better production and has one of my favourite Summoning tracks (Across the Streaming Tide), I can't help but feeling a few songs (#5-7) don't have much of a personality to them. Minas Morgul is really a fantastic album once you have grasped it. The main reason many people dislike it (or like it less than most other Summoning albums) is because it's not very accessible and hard to get into. Some truly great melodies going on on that album (check out Morthond for example).

Good to hear you're going to check out their other stuff as well, which is one of the things I was hoping to accomplish with this list (as most people here on MS only have heard OMD, or so it seems). Oh, and I've listened to that Emyn Muil album. I wasn't amazed by it by any means, but I definitely liked it.

Hits total: 15629 | This month: 6