02. Babel's Tower
03. Come The Flood
04. The Seed Of Tyrants
05. Ghosts Of The Charnel House
06. The Alchemist's Head
07. Born To Night
08. Wield Lightning To Split The Sun

Additional info
Produced and engineered by Jaime Gomez Arellano.
Recorded at Grouse Lodge studios, Westmeath, Ireland.
Mixed and mastered at Orgone Studios, London, UK.

Layout and poster artwork by Costin Chioreanu.
Original photos used for front and back cover by Miluta Flueras.

Guest review by
Netzach
Rating:
If someone were to ask me a "yes-or-no" question such as: "Do you think this is their most accomplished album yet?" my answer would be "yes or no," because such a question simply cannot be answered with a single yes or no. However, would the question be rephrased as: "Did the latest Primordial album fulfill your expectations?" my answer would be a definite "no," whereas the question "Did you enjoy latest Primordial album more than any other Primordial album?" would yield an instant "yes." Did this introduction confuse you? Did I confuse myself? Yes and no.

Read more ››
published 17.04.2015 | Comments (5)

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Primordial once more return to power with the somber grandeur that has served them so well these many years. Most bands tend to attract some kind of criticism for returning to the same sound from album to album without exploring it further or evolving it to any meaningful degree, but few bands have ever crafted a style as unfathomably deep and rich in texture as Primordial; Where Greater Men Have Fallen soars beyond the reach of such petty and feeble barbs.

Read more ››
published 02.06.2015 | Comments (9)

Guest review by
The_Hellion
Rating:
Where Greater Men Have Fallen is the type of album that gets better and better with every song. By this I also mean that the first song doesn't manage to catch your, or at least my, full attention (one would assume the very first song should give us an overview of the entire work, which is not the case here). If I had to go with the first impression of the first and second songs, I probably would have stopped listening to this. Luckily for me, I'm a freak, and for some reason I can't just drop an album and not finish it.

Read more ››
published 09.10.2019 | Comments (1)

Found in 37 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 33   Visited by: 897 users
18.04.2014 - 01:25
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
It's about time! Comes out around my 21st birthday, I know which album I'll be drinking a pint of Guinness to.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
10.06.2014 - 18:11
Fredd
Account deleted
Want want want
01.10.2014 - 13:37
Rating: 9
arj

Give it to me naow!!!
21.11.2014 - 00:00
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Leaked.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
21.11.2014 - 20:56
telephonebear
Account deleted
Written by Maco on 21.11.2014 at 00:00

Leaked.

No, released today.
22.11.2014 - 18:48
Fradd
Account deleted
Babel's Tower is the highlight of the album, the only song reminiscent of their former glory
23.11.2014 - 08:11
Rating: 8
Death

Written by Guest on 22.11.2014 at 18:48

Babel's Tower is the highlight of the album, the only song reminiscent of their former glory

Are you serious? I loved the whole album.
23.11.2014 - 10:09
Joe Zombie

Great album. Typical Primordial jams. I feel like some tracks were stretched a bit too long, and the record didn't give me goosebumps like Gathering Wilderness or Nameless Dead. Good stuff regardless. Favorite song: Babel's Tower.
23.11.2014 - 10:52
Death

Written by Death on 23.11.2014 at 08:11

Written by Guest on 22.11.2014 at 18:48

Are you serious? I loved the whole album.

Actually I just finished listening to the album for the second time, my rating has been lowered 2 points.
23.11.2014 - 13:54
Frodd
Account deleted
Written by Death on 23.11.2014 at 10:52

Actually I just finished listening to the album for the second time, my rating has been lowered 2 points.

Well, 8 is "very good", and it is. It doesnt compare to To The Nameless Dead, but it's as good as any other album of theirs, which are all a notch above the rest.
23.11.2014 - 22:35
Xylem

Once again they haven't disappointed me. I suspected after To the Nameless Dead that the quality might drop a little, and I was right, but they're still making music that measures up to a very good standard and is still a cut above many. I might always wish for another The Gathering Wilderness or To the Nameless Dead, but as long as they stay around this benchmark I will at least be happy.
24.11.2014 - 08:11
Death

Written by Guest on 23.11.2014 at 13:54

Written by Death on 23.11.2014 at 10:52

Well, 8 is "very good", and it is. It doesnt compare to To The Nameless Dead, but it's as good as any other album of theirs, which are all a notch above the rest.

And that only because The Seed of Tyrants and The Alchemist's Head are terrible songs I think.
24.11.2014 - 22:27
arj

NOt much for Come The Flood, the other stuff is pretty cool
25.11.2014 - 16:35
Frodd
Account deleted
Written by Death on 24.11.2014 at 08:11

And that only because The Seed of Tyrants and The Alchemist's Head are terrible songs I think.

yea, seed of tyrants is pretty bad, i dont like that style. i've been skipping it on relistens.
25.11.2014 - 20:48
Rating: 7
crucifiedjesus

Wont be a classic but its a decent album
26.11.2014 - 07:25
Lionthrone

Written by arj on 24.11.2014 at 22:27

NOt much for Come The Flood, the other stuff is pretty cool

Funny, that's the one song I'm actually really digging lol.
29.11.2014 - 02:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Well after some official pre album songs I did not gave high hopes, now I simply can not stop playing it, but after 4 times, still hard to judge , typical Primordial sound, same time some sonsg eh did some way experiment or go back to the roots, vocals was more growls .. anyway good album , gonna play it more
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.11.2014 - 21:47
Lokaeda
Account deleted
First listening of the whole album : sounds like a 7 to me, with a boner for the first and the last track.
04.12.2014 - 12:50
Isalith

A decent record, but an average one for Primordial. I had the impression that I have heard that a thousand times before.
05.12.2014 - 12:55
Zap
I actually thought The Seed Of Tyrants was one of the highlights, along with the title track and Babel's Tower. Come The Flood and The Alchemist's Head are the weakest tracks for me.
The entire album is about on par with the previous one, maybe a bit better even.
11.12.2014 - 08:37
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Something missing on this one. It doesn't make me want to fight Italians like their others do. The last 2 songs are the highlights for me.
Anyone else think the title track sounds like viking metal (not lyrically, of course)?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
25.12.2014 - 16:52
Netzach
Planewalker
Written by M C Vice on 11.12.2014 at 08:37

Something missing on this one. It doesn't make me want to fight Italians like their others do. The last 2 songs are the highlights for me.
Anyone else think the title track sounds like viking metal (not lyrically, of course)?

Yeah it does but Primordial never did hide their Bathory influences that well... Last two tracks also remind me of similar stuff.

I fkin love Ghosts of the Charnel House with its post-rocky vibe in the middle. Awesome.
29.12.2014 - 17:56
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Definitely not the best Primordial album ever. It's not a bad album, but it doesn't come close to The Nameless Dead.
Though, some tracks sound very interesting. My personal favourite is the song that I see many name as the weakest - The Alchemist's Head. It's so dark and ominous, and it also contains some interesting drum parts, which, I think, this album in general lacks.
My favourite tracks: Babel's Tower, Come The Flood, The Alchemist's Head, Born To Night, Wield Lightning To Split The Sun.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
17.08.2015 - 20:50
Very solid album, definitely prefer it to Redemption at the Puritan's hand, though this album falls off at the end.
Still, Primordial are always amazing, no matter what they conjure up.

Favourite song: Come the Flood, followed closely by Where Greater Men Have Fallen.
13.10.2015 - 13:52
serega25

Another great album from them. My rate is 9.6. Primordial are kings of celtic metal.
23.01.2016 - 03:23
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Last track rules supreme.

'And wish for anything but lightening to split the night
Who would praise anything but the sun above
That brings each dawn and our radiant day'

The fanboy in me awakes always when it comes to this band.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
02.02.2017 - 02:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by serega25 on 13.10.2015 at 13:52

Another great album from them. My rate is 9.6. Primordial are kings of celtic metal.

and what is Celtic metal? there are no any folk elements even we can discuss last song might be a bit mythological, but not here, its nothing to do whit folk., because there can we say Celtic metal. not here
----

apos;'
[image]
03.02.2017 - 23:13
serega25

Written by Bad English on 02.02.2017 at 02:50

and what is Celtic metal? there are no any folk elements even we can discuss last song might be a bit mythological, but not here, its nothing to do whit folk., because there can we say Celtic metal. not here
Some metal pages determine the sound of this album as Dark Celtic Metal.
04.02.2017 - 09:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by serega25 on 03.02.2017 at 23:13

Written by Bad English on 02.02.2017 at 02:50

Some metal pages determine the sound of this album as Dark Celtic Metal.

its not official genre,
----

apos;'
[image]
30.08.2017 - 06:09
DeathMetal

First two songs are great, then a whole lot of nothing, then the last two songs are good.

Hits total: 19079 | This month: 13