08. Rusted Nail
09. Dead Eyes
10. Monsters In The Ballroom
11. Filtered Truth

The Biggest Letdown Of 2014

Guest review by
Fallen Ghost
Rating:
In Flames.. In Flames.. Chew a little on that name, taste it, swirl it around. What comes to your mind? Some have their mind set back in time, where the band was one of the big bands in the melodic death metal scene with highly acclaimed albums like Whoracle, Colony and Clayman. Others have accepted (or are bitter over) the new sound the band slowly, but surely adopted. And Siren Charms is not an exception.

Read more ››
published 11.02.2015 | Comments (9)

Found in 22 lists
Top lists

Comments page 4 / 5

Comments: 145   Visited by: 1441 users
09.09.2014 - 00:27
ScnD361

I don't think this album deserves a 1. That's only for Lulu. This album is good with an open mind. It's not MDM, so don't vote this album as it was.
09.09.2014 - 00:42
Hooman

4.9???
is it really that bad?
09.09.2014 - 01:55
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Man... In Flames is already bad. Then the new album gets 4.9 with more than 100 votes!?
This one must be super duper bad
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
09.09.2014 - 02:15
Oakenson

I haven't posted here for quite a while but reading through the comments here has "encouraged" me to offer a few fleeting throughts here.

It's kind of sad to see how many people are so absorbed in the past and their own negative and oftentimes downright rude opinion here. I certainly do not spend my time bashing artists and bands I do not like so why is it that so many feel the need to continuously put down a band they haven't even liked for years? That's like me calling an ex-girlfriend from four years ago just to put her down - it's vacuous and futile. Furthermore, I highly doubt many of these "superheros of the computer rage" here would have the courage nor wit to insult the band face-to-face as they do here while hiding behind a user handle and a laptop. I don't know, sometimes I feel it's better not to say anything at all than to say something solely negative and wholly subjective.

As for Siren Charms, I think it's a great and daring album that is the freshest the band has sounded since the mid-2000s. They've achieved a sound and atmosphere all their own over the years and In Flames sounds like no one but In Flames and for this I am grateful. To those that take the path less traveled by - much respect and admiration!
09.09.2014 - 03:16
Mattybu

Written by Oakenson on 09.09.2014 at 02:15

It's kind of sad to see how many people are so absorbed in the past and their own negative and oftentimes downright rude opinion here. I certainly do not spend my time bashing artists and bands I do not like so why is it that so many feel the need to continuously put down a band they haven't even liked for years? That's like me calling an ex-girlfriend from four years ago just to put her down - it's vacuous and futile. Furthermore, I highly doubt many of these "superheros of the computer rage" here would have the courage nor wit to insult the band face-to-face as they do here while hiding behind a user handle and a laptop. I don't know, sometimes I feel it's better not to say anything at all than to say something solely negative and wholly subjective.

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

A veritable cornucopia of "can't handle people on the internet disagreeing with me" stereotypes. "You wouldn't have the courage to insult the band face-to-face" in particular, come on man
09.09.2014 - 05:20
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Oakenson on 09.09.2014 at 02:15

... sometimes I feel it's better not to say anything at all than to say something solely negative...

I think this is a fair point and one that I try to adhere to. I'm not always successful in that endeavour but I think it makes for a better world if one can adhere to this principle.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
09.09.2014 - 05:37
Oakenson

I will note that my previous post was not geared towards the music itself and whether or not someone thinks it's good or bad but, rather, in how people present themselves in regards to the material. How is saying "f--- In Flames" or "such and such album is crap" or "people who like this are idiots" condusive to anything objective, informative, intelligent or even critical? Everyone has their own taste and everyone has a right to love or hate something - of this is there no question - although the way one goes about presenting themselves makes all of the difference in the world. I can wholly respect and appreciate someone that says "I really dislike this album because of this, this and that" but to throw around insults, name-calling and the like to attempt to make a point seems rather counter-productive and simply unfortunate.
09.09.2014 - 06:09
Rating: 7
Atna

Its another step forward within In Flames new sound territory.

I like how they've managed to throw in melody and their characteristic sound throughout the record, but i will ding the record for having many rather inconsistent songs.
"When the world explodes" for example, i love the first half but then the second half just kind of walks away and fades off leaving the intensity.

At first i was kind of insulted by some of the new elements introduced but taken as they are, do not make a bad record.
The record has its moments. Like Sounds of a Playground fading, this one will probably take me a long time to get used to, and learn to like afterwards.
After a few listens, i'm able to see where the catchy hooks and sorrowful, and melancholy vocals of anders fit in perfectly to the albums more emotional feel and edge.
This is a band who's sound has changed drastically over the years, i applaud them for challenging the norms and pushing the envelope.
It feels like they've been trying to define a new genre of melodic metal, and props to that. I feel that it came across better in Sounds of a playground fading, but the new album brings different elements to the table and its worth checking out just to see what they've done with it.

I like Filtered Truth, Rusted nail and Paralyzed.
09.09.2014 - 13:50
Rating: 6
Therapy?

The irony of this album title just hit me. Like a true Siren leads you to your utter doom using their attractive illusions and charms, I dived head-first into this adventure hoping to get some sweet, sweet eargasmic loving like I did with their last album. Instead, buying this album just lead me to disappointment and regret.
10.09.2014 - 12:16
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
I give it a 7 after i listened to the bonus tracks!
10.09.2014 - 12:29
Therapy?

Written by BloodJuNkie on 10.09.2014 at 12:16

The Chase is actually a really good song. But since it's not available on any physical edition of Siren Charms I'm not counting it as a part of the album.
10.09.2014 - 12:33
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Oh ! Why as much as there are high votes for Sólstafir-Ótta there are low votes for this album ? I couldn't find their bandcamp, so curious to know how this albums sounds.
----
The Fangirl.
10.09.2014 - 13:12
Rating: 2
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by angel. on 10.09.2014 at 12:33

Oh ! Why as much as there are high votes for Sólstafir-Ótta there are low votes for this album ? I couldn't find their bandcamp, so curious to know how this albums sounds.

Are you high on acid?

What the hell new In Flames has to do with Sólstafir's Otto?

Anyway,"Siren" turns out to be very average record while "Otto" stand it out to be absolute brilliant. But, both albums are waaaay different.
10.09.2014 - 13:15
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 10.09.2014 at 13:12

Are you high on acid?

What the hell new In Flames has to do with Sólstafir's Otto?

Anyway,"Siren" turns out to be very average record while "Otto" stand it out to be absolute brilliant. But, both albums are waaaay different.

Hey I absolutely know they are completely different albums and genres I was just comparing the way people reacted to these two, one is completely getting all the great feedback and this one is wholly rejected from audience apparently.
----
The Fangirl.
10.09.2014 - 13:30
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 10.09.2014 at 13:12

Are you high on acid?

OH BTW ! Not as much as you are always on it.
----
The Fangirl.
10.09.2014 - 14:05
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Written by Therapy? on 10.09.2014 at 12:29

Written by BloodJuNkie on 10.09.2014 at 12:16

The Chase is actually a really good song. But since it's not available on any physical edition of Siren Charms I'm not counting it as a part of the album.

Yeah i like it, "Become The Sky" is a good song too..
10.09.2014 - 22:31
malaikat

This is sad to listen to. Looks like something hastily written and performed in a day and a half. Previous album at least sounded like they had 48 hours to shit it out.
11.09.2014 - 13:21
Rating: 9
DavidBurns

I have been listening to In Flames for 8 years now. They have been and still are my favorite band. I look forward to every album they have released because there is always something different, they are a band maturing not a band in decline like most people seem to think. They are aging, stored in an oaken cask aging like a fine whisky. Gone is the samey feel you get from their early albums. Each and every song on this album has something different.

To begin with I must admit i was as skeptical as most, when i heard Rusted Nail and Through Oblivion, I did think... This is a big change, i'm not exactly sure it's still In Flames, but as and when more tracks became available and it leaked I was one of the ones to sample the full album before the official release, and I LOVED IT, so since release day I have been actively looking to buy the album and finally I have it! I don't regret it, it's probably my best purchase in recent years of an album because it's so hard to come by good music here that isn't under the subgenre of metalcore or a bunch "metalheads" who think mashing out breakdowns and making half arsed growls down a mic constitutes as decent metal music. There are a few exceptions to this, of which i will not go into here.

All I am going to say is In my opinion. This is in Flames' best album since Come Clarity.
----
Never rate anything a 10 because there is always so much more to come. If I ever rate anything a 10 don't hesitate to slap me :P
11.09.2014 - 18:03
John Shock

Written by DavidBurns on 11.09.2014 at 13:21

I have been listening to In Flames for 8 years now. They have been and still are my favorite band. I look forward to every album they have released because there is always something different, they are a band maturing not a band in decline like most people seem to think. They are aging, stored in an oaken cask aging like a fine whisky. Gone is the samey feel you get from their early albums. Each and every song on this album has something different.

To begin with I must admit i was as skeptical as most, when i heard Rusted Nail and Through Oblivion, I did think... This is a big change, i'm not exactly sure it's still In Flames, but as and when more tracks became available and it leaked I was one of the ones to sample the full album before the official release, and I LOVED IT, so since release day I have been actively looking to buy the album and finally I have it! I don't regret it, it's probably my best purchase in recent years of an album because it's so hard to come by good music here that isn't under the subgenre of metalcore or a bunch "metalheads" who think mashing out breakdowns and making half arsed growls down a mic constitutes as decent metal music. There are a few exceptions to this, of which i will not go into here.

All I am going to say is In my opinion. This is in Flames' best album since Come Clarity.

That's a nice point of view, and honestly...i agree with you...
Opened ears, opened mind!!!
12.09.2014 - 11:17
Rating: 4
s_t_s

Written by John Shock on 11.09.2014 at 18:03

That's a nice point of view, and honestly...i agree with you...
Opened ears, opened mind!!!

Well it's all a matter of taste I don't care if a band changes direction, that's their choice and right to do so but please let them do it properly. I listened to Siren Charms maybe 3 or 4 times and I reached the end and kept thinking : wow, that's it ? Well except for Rusted Nail I just don't remember anything from this Reminds me of "Manticore" of CoF (I know this is not the same style so please save your words). what I mean is that the whole album doesn't leave me with any remembrance... It's just soulless... A Sense of Purpose gave me the same feeling, it's like eating something that is totally without any taste... To me all songs sound like a collection of sequences put together...
12.09.2014 - 14:56
Inshushinak

Just what the fuck is this? totally disappointed
13.09.2014 - 14:12
Therapy?

I like the way you approach it and as a long-time fan, I really wish I could share your opinion. But for me personally, this really is a step back from their previous album simply because I think they should not have put a time pressure on themselves to make this album. There seems to be no logical coherence in the songs, nothing that really makes it an album. To me it sounds more like a b-side collection of songs that did not make it to SoAPF or something. It lacks polish, especially Anders' soft-style clean voice parts.

I have listened to the album quite a few times now and I've come over the initial shock of "wtf is this?" by now (the first two songs really did that to me). But my opinion is still this: it has some awesome parts but it's just that... parts. Mostly the choruses such as those in Paralyzed, Siren Charms and Rusted Nail. But they end so fast that I can hardly enjoy them. I really think every single song has more potential than what was put on the album. If they would have put a bit more effort into it.

And if it wasn't already clear from my previous comments: I'm REALLY bummed about the lack of bonus tracks on my special edition.

Fun fact: A lot of people seem to really hate "Through Oblivion". I actually really like it for some reason. It's just a bit short. Ohhh dem differing tastes and opinions... weird, huh?
13.09.2014 - 17:11
John Shock

Quote:
Well it's all a matter of taste I don't care if a band changes direction, that's their choice and right to do so but please let them do it properly. I listened to Siren Charms maybe 3 or 4 times and I reached the end and kept thinking : wow, that's it ? Well except for Rusted Nail I just don't remember anything from this Reminds me of "Manticore" of CoF (I know this is not the same style so please save your words). what I mean is that the whole album doesn't leave me with any remembrance... It's just soulless... A Sense of Purpose gave me the same feeling, it's like eating something that is totally without any taste... To me all songs sound like a collection of sequences put together...

Maybe that was their goal...simplify!!!
But of course, everyone has their point of view...
Nobody's right, nobody's wrong!!!
I like it, it's catchy!!!
Maybe the fans where expecting too much from them!!!
I know i wasn't, specially since i heard Rusted Nail and Through Oblivion!!!
17.09.2014 - 05:37
Ganondox

Okay, now that the album is finally out I can comment on it. I can't say I actually dislike it, I just find it ridiculous. The problem isn't even just that they don't really sound anything like In Flames anymore. While most the riffs are now more boring, there are many interesting things that have been added (every song seems to be unique and while Anders vocals are bad at times his varied, industrial-metal-esque approach here adds a lot), but as a whole I just can't take it seriously. Still like "Rusted Nail" though, and I also think "With Eyes Wide Open" is a very good song, if not a particularly unique or In Flamey song. I wouldn't call it a good album, but it's certainly something else.
18.09.2014 - 15:05
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt

I didn't like Siren Charms at the beginning, but now i like it. But Sounds of A Playground Fading was better and i didn't realize that until i listened to Siren Charms.
18.09.2014 - 21:29
MHOE

This album is pretty bad even after 3 full-length listens! And that's coming from someone who enjoyed even A Sense of Purpose a lot. I am in no way an oldschooler or elitist... But this album is just mediocre to poor.
19.09.2014 - 13:59
RedOctober
Account deleted
Wow... even In Flames wouldn't give this album a 10

Written by Oakenson on 09.09.2014 at 05:37

I will note that my previous post was not geared towards the music itself and whether or not someone thinks it's good or bad but, rather, in how people present themselves in regards to the material. How is saying "f--- In Flames" or "such and such album is crap" or "people who like this are idiots" condusive to anything objective, informative, intelligent or even critical? Everyone has their own taste and everyone has a right to love or hate something - of this is there no question - although the way one goes about presenting themselves makes all of the difference in the world. I can wholly respect and appreciate someone that says "I really dislike this album because of this, this and that" but to throw around insults, name-calling and the like to attempt to make a point seems rather counter-productive and simply unfortunate.
19.09.2014 - 23:36
Chobo_jokeR

Ugh?just started listening to this. I don't even know if this can pass as workout music. Their last two albums weren't exactly good, but at least they had enough balls to workout to. This is ? bad. As soon as the first few notes of "In Plain View" started I said "oh no" out loud.

I'll give it a full listen, but wow. Not impressed.
20.09.2014 - 13:22
Salmaneser

After the first listening, I could only agree with the critiques, for the first time since I started listening to In Flames. I like all of their previous albums, 'old school' and 'new school', but this album was one step too far. So I gave it a 5.

After the second listening, I thought the record wasn't that bad after all, so I upgraded to a 6. But the more and more I listen to it, the more I like it. It's different from their previous work, but that's only a good thing. In my opinion, one can only cheer this kind of evolution, making a new sound that's still recognisable and good. That's one of the reasons In Flames is and will be my favourite band.
21.09.2014 - 07:55
Gelati

Ahhh another In Flames album for people to argue over. Perhaps the most polarizing band in the metal world. I honestly feel bad because they just can't win.

To old-school fans: Lighten up, the last two albums haven't been that terrible. They're not great but they're still solid releases with some decent writing and better production

To new-school fans: Lighten up on the old timers, they were spoiled early with Whoracle and The Jester Race which are genre defining albums. Unfortunately that expectation never left.

Can't we all just enjoy these for what they are? Solid 7s. Some excellent melodic material, some tasty riffs, and overall better production value than in years past. Just enjoy it and get rid of your predispositions.

Hits total: 31266 | This month: 41