02. Tears Of Blood
03. Creatures
04. Bring It On
05. Never Forget

Featured in "Getting In2: Judas Priest"

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Quietly setting aside the musty orchestrations and unfamiliar, off-putting theatrics that suffocated Nostradamus, Judas Priest have once again decided to ditch all excessive trappings for a "good, old-fashioned" sort of album.

Read more ››
published 15.07.2014 | Comments (28)

Found in 33 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 115   Visited by: 1094 users
28.04.2014 - 12:34
J. N.
Account deleted
28.04.2014 - 13:19
raveneffect

I don't know, Rob's voice can't hit those high notes anymore and the guitarwork feels kind of bland. Hope they bring their A Game
30.04.2014 - 19:41
pkillerjp

It's a good old fashioned standard mid tempo metal song..no killer riffs, no Halford screams, and an obvious absence of KK, but it's still pretty enjoyable.
09.05.2014 - 16:05
Rating: 7
Mountain King
K i K o
Written by pkillerjp on 30.04.2014 at 19:41

It's a good old fashioned standard mid tempo metal song..no killer riffs, no Halford screams, and an obvious absence of KK, but it's still pretty enjoyable.

Did u listen to it or are u judging by the only song they released so far? Just curious. Cause I'm sure that not all of the main 13 songs are mid tempo...
29.05.2014 - 11:42
Dalleo

16.06.2014 - 14:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Will let you all know how the album turned out to be coming Wednesday afternoon
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.07.2014 - 14:52
DeathSlyzer

It has leaked, and sadly, it was rather dissapointing. I really wanted to like this, but the songs just doesn't live up to Priest standards. This is coming from a guy who didn't have anything against Nostradamus. I don't know what to say. I guess I kinda expected it to turn out like this, but still, I hoped it wouldn't.
----
I sold my soul to any fool who'd buy it!
What's it gonna take to make you riot!?
01.07.2014 - 15:05
Angelic Storm
Melodious
The leak circulating at the moment isn't the full album. All the of the songs under five minutes, are complete. But all of the songs longer than 5 minutes, cut off at the 5 minute mark...
01.07.2014 - 17:56
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
I listened to the leaked version and my impression improved slightly. Aeons behind their 70s-90s albums, but good Priest album. I would give it around a 7. I hope that the real version has a slightly better production quality. Halford does have his moments of pure awesomeness, but his voice just can't reach the high notes he could in the past. This is obvious on Battle Cry and Redeemer of Soul, but some songs such as the opener and Halls of Valhalla are decently performed. Don't know if I will buy it, but now I am considering this possibility.
01.07.2014 - 18:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I heard the official streaming promo version and the production is terrible. It is totally brickwalled. The vocals just get drowned by a wall of noise every single time, plus there is no real definition between the guitars and the bass. Way too loud.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.07.2014 - 19:55
Rating: 8
Vykintas

Written by Angelic Storm on 01.07.2014 at 15:05

The leak circulating at the moment isn't the full album. All the of the songs under five minutes, are complete. But all of the songs longer than 5 minutes, cut off at the 5 minute mark...

Not the case with the leak I got...
01.07.2014 - 22:01
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Vykintas on 01.07.2014 at 19:55
Not the case with the leak I got...

There is a new leak which is the full album, I've just downloaded it now.
02.07.2014 - 01:39
DeathSlyzer

I'm trying to find the new leak myself. Maybe it can change my impression, if only just a little bit. That would still be better than nothing.
----
02.07.2014 - 11:51
Angelic Storm
Melodious
The production on the album is definitely it's weak spot, but I've heard a lot worse, and it's not enough to ruin the album certainly. Musically, it's pretty diverse, and I love the nods to 70's Priest on it. Anyone expecting another Painkiller is going to be sorely disappointed by this one. Considering the lack of K.K., I was expecting worse from this album, but it's actually pretty good. It does need a few listens to fully bed in though, as it's not one of their more direct albums. It's certainly not as experimental as Nostradamus, but nor is it as direct as a Painkiller, or Defenders Of The Faith. I definitely like it!
02.07.2014 - 13:40
DeathSlyzer

Written by Angelic Storm on 02.07.2014 at 11:51

The production on the album is definitely it's weak spot, but I've heard a lot worse, and it's not enough to ruin the album certainly. Musically, it's pretty diverse, and I love the nods to 70's Priest on it. Anyone expecting another Painkiller is going to be sorely disappointed by this one. Considering the lack of K.K., I was expecting worse from this album, but it's actually pretty good. It does need a few listens to fully bed in though, as it's not one of their more direct albums. It's certainly not as experimental as Nostradamus, but nor is it as direct as a Painkiller, or Defenders Of The Faith. I definitely like it!

Yeah, the production is indeed a flaw on this album. After listening to the album again, my opinion actually did change a little. I still think some of these songs are going nowhere. "Cold Blooded" feels kinda dull, mostly because of the chorus, which doesn't seem to do much for the song. With "Metalizer", I'm not sure what they're trying to go for. The drums don't really fit with the riffs in that song, if you ask me.

The album does have some positives though. I like "Halls of Valhalla" and "Sword of Damocles". The latter one has some pretty catchy melodies, and that definitely gives it some lasting power for me.
----
02.07.2014 - 16:00
raveneffect

When I listened to the previously released tracks, I thought it was going to be another rather bland Priest Album with nothing more than a few good moments but after listening to the whole thing a couple of times, I was surprised it turned out better than I expected. Still has some of those bland a boring moments like "March of the Damned" or "Hell and Back" but the kick in songs like the ST, "Swords of Damocles" or "Metalizer" are more enough to bring the score to a positive valor. Also, the melody in "Halls of Valhalla" are really Maiden-meets-Priest which is so fucking cool.

Somehow I kept listening to Painkiller on this one since lots of songs remind me a lot of the melodies/structure of "Hell Patrol" or "Between the Hammer". I'd say its a lot more Painkiller than Angel of Retribution.

Downpoints are, obviously, the production (which I cant really comment since I have a leaked version, chances are we'll be getting a better one upon oficial release) and the lack of imagination on some songs that really feel like they were unfinished, both in the instrumental and Lyrical department. And yeah, since I'm talking about the Lyrics, some bits sound like they just rammed some generic phrases into it turning into poor storytelling.

I think its safe to assume that JP isnt going to release another bomb record, all we can do by this point is to expect they maintain a certain level of quality. If that level is "Redeemer Of Souls", I'm okay with it.

7.2/10
02.07.2014 - 16:09
Angelic Storm
Melodious
The thing I like best about this album, is that it has more nods to their 70's material than any of their albums from the 80's onwards. The mix of different Priest eras on this album is it's greatest strength. People can argue whether or not this album is better than the likes of Painkiller, but it's certainly a far more adventurous album than that one, and manages it, without the overblown feel that was a problem on Nostradamus.
03.07.2014 - 14:36
Dalleo

Hell & Back and Metalizer just don't do it for me, I really like the rest of the album. Vocals and guitars are spot on, only letdown is the production.
08.07.2014 - 00:13
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Let's see how terrible this will be.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
08.07.2014 - 01:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Dalleo on 03.07.2014 at 14:36

Hell & Back and Metalizer just don't do it for me, I really like the rest of the album. Vocals and guitars are spot on, only letdown is the production.

VOcals spot on? That together with the production is the real low point. Most of the times the vocals sound extremely forced and it cracking up as well.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.07.2014 - 02:51
Rating: 6
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I need to hear this for myself to decide my thoughts on it. The songs that have been released so far haven't really clicked with me, but maybe there's a hidden gem in there somewhere.

EDIT: Everyone's right about the production, it's pretty crappy (but which new big name albums aren't these days?). This album has its moments here and there (Sword of Damocles and Beginning of the End for example), but it's not spectacular or anything. I wish they would have stopped with Nostradamus personally (I actually enjoy chunks of that album more than most of this one), but I admire this band's endurance. Still it's just kind of average.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
08.07.2014 - 13:37
Rating: 6
Sword_Chant

Production and Rob's vocals sound dreadful. I thought the guitar work was okay though - March Of The Damned is good. Overall, it's nowhere near up to the quality of Painkiller or Screaming For Vengeance.
08.07.2014 - 13:52
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I actually think compositionally, this is a better album than Painkiller, although the production is a lot worse. Rob's vocals are fine, until he screams, but even then, the impassioned delivery carries him through. I bought the deluxe version, and the 5 bonus tracks are just as diverse as the album proper! Even Ripper Owens' era Priest finds itself represented on "Creatures".

It's a real shame that this album features the worst production job ever on a Priest album, as songwriting wise, this is probably their best album since Defenders Of The Faith.
09.07.2014 - 12:58
Rating: 4
Dr. Strawberry

- Sounds like their 80's B-side.
- Something wrong with the guitarist's finger work. Tipton is credited but actually has also left the band ? I didn't hear him playing in this album
09.07.2014 - 14:26
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by Angelic Storm on 08.07.2014 at 13:52

I actually think compositionally, this is a better album than Painkiller, although the production is a lot worse. Rob's vocals are fine, until he screams, but even then, the impassioned delivery carries him through. I bought the deluxe version, and the 5 bonus tracks are just as diverse as the album proper! Even Ripper Owens' era Priest finds itself represented on "Creatures".

It's a real shame that this album features the worst production job ever on a Priest album, as songwriting wise, this is probably their best album since Defenders Of The Faith.

Better than Painkiller? That means it is better than their entire discography! Nah, value-wise I think is a sort of buffer album like Ram It Down was. 3 things put this album down though, first is the production which you already mentioned and I also did in the past, the second is Halford's voice - he has his moments of brilliance but also moments where you can feel that he forces himself to reach high notes and he fails badly, the third is the guitar work. Same like the vocals, it has its moments of glory, but it also has its moments of blandness. In Halls of Valhala, Sword of Damocles or Marched of the Damned it works, but on other tracks like Metalizer, Battle Cry or Crossfire it just does not work. I do believe in Tipton's skills, but it seems like his guitar skills were proeminent when he was switching with Downing. Richie might be a good performer, live-wise, but it seems like in the studio, creativity-wise, he is far away from what Downing was. He might've produced some albums for some projects, but lets face it, to play in Priest you need more of a studio experience to do a great job. Being a good performer works live and I do appreciate his spirit and energy live, but studio wise he just does not shine. Sometimes I wish that Downing would've stoped touring but would've at least maintained contact with the band through studio work. Ow, and they should hire another producer and try to remaster this album. A more suitable, improved quality production would surely save some of what this album tries to deliver.
09.07.2014 - 17:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
69/100
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.07.2014 - 12:14
Rating: 4
Dr. Strawberry

I've listened 3 tracks from Spotify.
Now this album is competing with Demolition to become the worst album in JP entire career !
11.07.2014 - 15:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
"Marcel H. : Judas Priest, a heavy metal institution if ever there was one. I am sure everyone will agree on that, but also a band which hasn't released an album worth mentioning for what seems like eternity, although opinions are split on that one. The last true great Priest album is already from 24 years ago and that is of course 'Painkiller'. After that album it was in general average to bad. Six years after the extremely average and way too ambitious 'Nostradamus' Judas Priest releases what is most probably their last ever album, called 'Redeemer Of Souls'. Hopefully this album will redeem this reviewing soul's scepticism concerning current day Priest.

The first thing that catches one's attention is the fact that KK Downing, one of the sound defining factors when it comes to the classic Priest sound, has left the band in 2011. So I am curious how newcomer Richie Faulkner will come across. Some of you might know him from his work with Lauren Harris and Christopher Lee. Thirteen songs that clock in at an hour is what the listener will get, And that is only the regular version since the deluxe version contains an extra five bonus songs. 'Redeemer Of Souls' kicks off with the quite mid-tempo 'Dragonaut'. Yes, when seeing the song title the first thing that sprung to mind was stoner band Sleep. Okay, so be it. Musically and vocally the song could find its place on mediocre albums such as 'British Steel' and 'Point Of Entry' with the biggest difference that the sound is actually quite bad now. It's totally brick walled, nowhere does it breathe or even a slightly open sound. The guitars are one big wall, bass can hardly be heard and the vocals are extremely forced at times and cracks up. In the higher region it is quite a sad affair we get to hear from Halford. Couldn't producer Mike Exeter have pointed out to Rob that it would be better to stick to the lower regions for him? The negatives of the opening track can be found in every single track on the album. All tracks are characterized by parts that grab back to the band's golden era of the Eighties but mostly stick together like loose sand making it come across as a copy paste affair. But the biggest let-down are the extremely predictable guitar parts. Glenn Tipton sounds like so many other guitarists here. It comes across as if he really misses his guitar sidekick KK Downing. Great for mister Faulkner that he can now put down Judas Priest on his résumé, but he doesn't add anything to the sound. He plays okay, nothing more, nothing less. He could have been any other hired nameless guitarist, totally faceless.

Yes, people it all sounds as if it's only doom and gloom. One the hand that certainly is the case because we are clearly dealing with a band who have been muddling along for more than twenty years now. But on the other hand this album is a step up from its predecessor 'Nostradamus'. Compare in that sense 'Redeemer Of Souls' with 'Ram It Down' from the Eighties. In itself an extremely average album but when compared to predecessor 'Turbo' certainly a step up. The uninspired guitar parts and the tired forced vocals by Halford clearly show us that the institute of Judas Priest has long had its time and has no life left in it. Gentlemen, please stop, enjoy your well-deserved pensions and thanks for all the great music you gave us in the Seventies and Eighties. Just like the Rolling Stones keep on touring until you drop dead on stage and only play the old classic tunes. There will always be a crowd for those sorts of shows as is shown by the Stones."
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.07.2014 - 15:52
Ganondox

I think I've only listened to the title track and Dragonaut, but it sounds pretty good, just not the best thing ever from Judas Priest. Defininately not Halford's strongest performance, but the melodies are solid.
13.07.2014 - 07:51
Rating: 8
P-lucifer

So interesting, you guys all know that "Rob's voice can't hit high notes" but Rob himself didn't know that with Years of experience & Under the title of "METAL GOD".

Hits total: 23549 | This month: 68