04. Empathy
+ Tour Of Hamburg with Gamma Ray
+ Interview with Kai Hansen & Gamma Ray
+ To The Metal Promo Video
+ Live Videos From Skeletons & Majesties
    1 - Gamma Ray
    2 - Wings Of Destiny
    3 - Send Me A Sign [acoustic version]

The more 2014 goes on, the more it confirms that, this year, power metal is clinging to its heavyweights. After Iron Savior, Freedom Call, Sonata Arctica, Primal Fear and Edguy, now it's the time for Gamma Ray to unleash their opus.

Already from the 2013 EP Master Of Confusion many sensed that Empire Of The Undead promised to actually be something, as the two new tracks had shown a band in great shape and a definitely stronger sound compared to the more-than-half-disappointment that 2010's To The Metal was.

And Empire Of The Undead lives up to the expectations, showing a band that, though staying totally faithful to their trademark sound, isn't afraid to try something a little more elaborate or diverse. Respectively, the 9-minutes-long opener "Avalon", that is reminiscent, in length and impact on the listener, of that masterpiece that was "Rebellion In Dreamland" from 1995's Land Of The Free, and the Queen-esque "Time For Deliverance", the closest thing to a ballad in this otherwise restless album.

But, obviously, we are talking about a Gamma Ray album, and in-the-face power metal and haunting choruses is what we're getting. Empire Of The Undead is once again that mix of high-paced strength and happy epicness that we all learned to love. The guys deliver a great performance, with some surprisingly educated vocals kindly offered by Kai Hansen and the music reminding us how riff and drumming don't have to be that difficult to be effective and memorable.

As almost everything, Empire Of The Undead isn't flawless, since it sometimes falls in the "already heard" cliché, at times subtly while other times with blatant vividness, in particular with "Master Of Confusion" and "Seven", which happen to have almost the same main riff. Unless this isn't some kind of a clever move to recall tunes throughout the album, aiming at an embryonic ring composition, but I personally doubt that.

The fire that unfortunately tore apart the band's studio in Hamburg seems now to have positively rewarmed the inspiration of these guys, who may be aging according to the registry, but have released their youngest album since the marvellous run from 1995-2001, that went from Land Of The Free to No World Order.

Seems like "undead" was just the right topic for this album.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 9

Written on 10.05.2014 by Hopefully you won't agree with me, diversity of opinions is what makes metal so beautiful and varied.

So... critics and advices absolutely welcome.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 272 users
11.05.2014 - 03:23
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

Never been able to get into these guys, not sure what it is. I'm generally a fan of power metal.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
13.05.2014 - 12:34
Rating: 6
Joppe
Steelemeister
It's surprising to see so many high rates and reviews for this album when I find it quite bad. Gotta admit that Avalon is a good track and it raised my expectations and hopes that they had changed for the better. Unfortunately that was not the case. The rest of the album didn't convince me at all.
----
My vision is augmented
14.05.2014 - 19:51
Honza

I allways placed Gamma Ray between my favourite bands in genre. This album is not the best, but it brings everything what I expected. For me, there are two leading tracks on the album. Avalon and Pale Rider. Both are very memorable and both worth listening again and again.
It´s good to hear, that new drummer doesn´t affect the band in bad way. I liked to see Dan Zimmerman on the stage very much and Michael Ehré isn´t much way far from his standards.
For me, Gamma Ray means two things. Very own voice of Kai, not best voice in metal but I love it, and Henjo Richters solo parts.
My score is 8/10.
14.05.2014 - 20:55
Rating: 8
R Lewis

Written by Honza on 14.05.2014 at 19:51

For me, there are two leading tracks on the album. Avalon and Pale Rider. Both are very memorable and both worth listening again and again.

"Burn motherfucker, time to feel the flame / Listen to the whiplash, crack your brain"
Love that part
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.

Hits total: 8957 | This month: 14