Metal Storm logo
The Ultimate Mega Metal Dress Code Thread (Patched Vest,T-Shirt,Coat)

15.05.2014 - 16:55
raveneffect

"Morning hits, you wake up with a smile on your face.
It's that day, the one you've been waiting for the entire week, the entire month, possibly the entire year since it's been announced. You couldnt believe it when you read the news...it's been what? 6...7 years since their last show at your hometown? Fuck yeah! It's gonna be a great day...better...its gonna be THE day!
You get up, plug in that classic record and hit the shower singing the lyrics, shredding your air guitar on that ripping solo. Your phone rings, probably a message from the boys, saying they'll meet you there after work. Not you, you took the day off, the boss can go fuck himself, there's no way he'll keep you from getting to the front row. So, it's dressing time: you've got your shoes, your trousers, the usual battle vest but you're missing the T-Shirt. There's so many of them! Will it be the classic Album one? There's gonna be a million of these t-shirts, everyone has one....maybe the new album....but it's not as powerfull...
fuck it man, it has to be perfect!"

This used to be me on my "young years". The dilema of choosing what to wear at THAT gig i've been waiting for so long. Something most of us, Metalheads, can relate to at somepoint, has to be our care for the Metal culture clothing so, Due to popular Demand, I've decided to Open up this interesting Thread, based on a recent one here: http://www.metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=44625

Do you have a Battle Vest? Maybe a rare t-shirt you want to share with us? This is the place to do it.
15.05.2014 - 18:52
Grind Magus
Weak Cunt
I have two battle vest & a battle jacket that I wear pretty regularly, whether for a metal show or for going to campus for a class.
I got three vest and a leather jacket that I still need to work on. Got most of the patches but still unsure where to put what.
I also got a pair of shorts that I put grindcore patches as a joke but I ended up liking it so much that I continue to put patches on it.

So yeah, these are pretty old pictures (taken with a shitty camera as well) and I've changed some of the patches.
I haven't had the time to take pictures of the vest and jackets with the current patches on them.

Second battle vest:

Battle jacket:

15.05.2014 - 19:21
Lit.
Account deleted
I don't believe in patches. A waste of effort and surprising hard to find ones of bands you like.

Why would I waste my time with those when I could just buy more better looking shirts with neat designs that don't look like a middle schooler's Home Ec project?
15.05.2014 - 19:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 15.05.2014 at 19:21

I don't believe in patches. A waste of effort and surprising hard to find ones of bands you like.

Why would I waste my time with those when I could just buy more better looking shirts with neat designs that don't look like a middle schooler's Home Ec project?

Because it's a) completely personal and unique, b) they look better than shirts if they're designed and laid out well, c) they can be cheaper than shirts if you shop around on ebay for deals on patches (my grind one cost under £50, including the jacket) and d) fuck you bitch
15.05.2014 - 19:35
angel.
Evil Butterfly

I wholeheartedly disagree with you, they look much better than t-shirts with just one logo of a band or just an artwork, one of the coolest clothes that metal fellows wear.
----
The Fangirl.
15.05.2014 - 19:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Might as well chuck mine up again

(Looks much better on a person though)

Still haven't got around to the custom death metal one.
15.05.2014 - 20:18
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 15.05.2014 at 19:24

Because it's a) completely personal and unique,

Yeah, that's always a valid reason for wearing clothes.

b) they look better than shirts if they're designed and laid out well,

Yet to see a case of that. They've always looked like eyesores to me. Just one giant mess of band logos on a jean jacket. It's like stamping more than one football team on a single jersey.
*Also applies to Frit's argument.

c) they can be cheaper than shirts if you shop around on ebay for deals on patches (my grind one cost under £50, including the jacket)

I might be doing this wrong because math was never my forté, but...
£50 = $68
I could buy up to three nice band shirts for less than that!

and d) fuck you bitch

Why so serious?
15.05.2014 - 20:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 15.05.2014 at 20:18

Yeah, that's always a valid reason for wearing clothes.

If my sarcasm detector is functioning correctly, then I rebut this by saying: why bother wearing band stuff at all? Go to a charity shop, spend a few -insert currency here- on something cheap and comfortable. I don't think you can moan at people wanting to wear customised clothes if you yourself spend fair amounts of money on semi-personalised things like band shirts.

Quote:
Yet to see a case of that. They've always looked like eyesores to me. Just one giant mess of band logos on a jean jacket. It's like stamping more than one football team on a single jersey.

In fairness most do look like messes of logos, which I why I think neatly laid out and colour-coded ones are best.

Quote:
I might be doing this wrong because math was never my forté, but...
£50 = $68
I could buy up to three nice band shirts for less than that!

Three shirts you'll have to wash regularly compared to a patch jacket with dozens of your most favouritist bands on that you'll almost never have to wash

Quote:

Why so serious?

You should know me at least well enough by now to know that I'm not being serious
16.05.2014 - 09:27
toxx
Supreme being
Written by Guest on 15.05.2014 at 19:35

Might as well chuck mine up again

Wow, that's really nicely laid out! I like the colours on the black one! I used a lot of time placing the patches on mine, but it's far from finished yet. And still, battle-vests are imo always a work in progress. You can always change it I'll post some pics of mine when I get the backpatch on it. It's so new that it haven't even been to a concert yet
16.05.2014 - 09:31
toxx
Supreme being

Almost a waste of time for you to even read this thread then? Not to mention commenting in it as well
16.05.2014 - 09:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by toxx on 16.05.2014 at 09:27

Wow, that's really nicely laid out! I like the colours on the black one! I used a lot of time placing the patches on mine, but it's far from finished yet. And still, battle-vests are imo always a work in progress. You can always change it I'll post some pics of mine when I get the backpatch on it. It's so new that it haven't even been to a concert yet

Cheers! Yeah I'm looking forward to yours. I like the chain mesh you've put on it, that's the kind of customisation that never occurred to me when I was making mine. I wish i didn't keep losing my festival bracelets, think they'd make a nice addition to a jacket.

And yeah, you gotta christen it with sweat and spilt beer. Nothing feels as good as showing off a new jacket at a gig
16.05.2014 - 09:37
MetalDoomMaster

Written by Guest on 15.05.2014 at 19:35

'Awesome pics'

Wow, I'd probably blow you if I ever saw that jacket walking around. I want that Beherit patch. I've been meaning to put my BaN, Moonsorrow, and Bloodbath patches on my gear that I use for airsoft, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
16.05.2014 - 09:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by MetalDoomMaster on 16.05.2014 at 09:37

Wow, I'd probably blow you if I ever saw that jacket walking around. I want that Beherit patch. I've been meaning to put my BaN, Moonsorrow, and Bloodbath patches on my gear that I use for airsoft, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Ha, cheers! I'm sure our paths will cross at some festival or another. That's another good thing about patch vests, they make you instantly recognisable to people. A guy I'd never met from a band I like (Acolyte) greeted me whilst I was at a cafe in Bristol where I was attending a festival, he said he recognised me by my jacket. Thought that was pretty rad!

Definitely get that BaN patch on there, not enough of those around
16.05.2014 - 09:52
MetalDoomMaster

Written by Guest on 16.05.2014 at 09:42

Ha, cheers! I'm sure our paths will cross at some festival or another. That's another good thing about patch vests, they make you instantly recognisable to people. A guy I'd never met from a band I like (Acolyte) greeted me whilst I was at a cafe in Bristol where I was attending a festival, he said he recognised me by my jacket. Thought that was pretty rad!

Definitely get that BaN patch on there, not enough of those around

If I ever get my ass to Europe I'm sure we will haha. That is really fucking awesome. Unfortunately I live in the middle of nowhere so I don't think I'll be running into any band members any time soon. Yeah, the logo on that BaN patch is godly, I knew I had to have it.

I really want to find some old Immolation shirts that aren't like 70-150 dollars, that would make it for me.
16.05.2014 - 13:51
toxx
Supreme being
Written by Guest on 16.05.2014 at 09:42

That's another good thing about patch vests, they make you instantly recognisable to people. A guy I'd never met from a band I like (Acolyte) greeted me whilst I was at a cafe in Bristol where I was attending a festival, he said he recognised me by my jacket. Thought that was pretty rad!

Indeed. Especially those with "homemade" features. There's this dude that attends the inferno festival in oslo every year that has a vest made from an old leather sofa. loads of studs and metal rings on it. easy to spot in a crowd. All vests are unique
16.05.2014 - 14:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by toxx on 16.05.2014 at 13:51

Indeed. Especially those with "homemade" features. There's this dude that attends the inferno festival in oslo every year that has a vest made from an old leather sofa. loads of studs and metal rings on it. easy to spot in a crowd. All vests are unique

nice. That's pretty damned inventive.
16.05.2014 - 15:37
theFIST

Written by toxx on 16.05.2014 at 13:51

There's this dude that attends the inferno festival in oslo every year that has a vest made from an old leather sofa.

while i am not a fan of vests, that is an amazing idea
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
17.05.2014 - 16:53
Vombatus
Potorro
I only like vests when they are well laid out, coherence in the theme and limited in colours. Limiting the amount of patches is also a must, hate those vests that have no square inch free (like on Tshirtslayer.... some of them are pure nightmare hahaha).

Still working on mine, as I should be receiving some BaN, Tsjuder, Xasthur & Akitsa patches soon (will post picks when ready). I also have the project of a black vest with very few patches on (mostly obscure and OS BM and classic heavy metal) to use my Urfaust backpatch that looks sooo rad
19.05.2014 - 15:20
Ilham
Giant robot
I don't know if trends have evolved in Metal fashion these last few years. Have they?
19.05.2014 - 15:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 19.05.2014 at 15:20

I don't know if trends have evolved in Metal fashion these last few years. Have they?

Unfortunately things like this have come into existence, so trend is definitely the word I would use.

These are all off-the-shelf shop bought btw. There was an even worse one somewhere. Absolutely hideous it was, but I can't find it.
19.05.2014 - 15:41
raveneffect

The bling bling on the Crossover Jacket was a pure test to my gag reflexes
19.05.2014 - 15:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 19.05.2014 at 15:36

As an 'art fag', the black one turns me on...I hope you don't mind.

We can be aroused together then
19.05.2014 - 15:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 19.05.2014 at 15:46

Is there a specific site where you buy these patches from?

I'm pretty sure all, or most, of those were bought on eBay. Back patch included. I had to get someone on there to custom size the Sunn O))) one as the one they were doing was too small.

The Katatonia, Killing Joke, Merzbow and Deathspell Omega patches were taken off shirts though.

[EDIT]

Oh wait, some were from here: http://www.warheadshop.webs.com/T.htm. Super cheap.
19.05.2014 - 15:51
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 19.05.2014 at 15:39

Unfortunately things like this have come into existence, so trend is definitely the word I would use.

These are all off-the-shelf shop bought btw. There was an even worse one somewhere. Absolutely hideous it was, but I can't find it.

Well, I am guilty of not finding these absolutely hideous, although I wouldn't dare to sport them. After all, from a metalhead's point of view I'm a filthy hipster. I think I like them just because they look cool on a black dude. Put them on a white trash shrimp and it changes everything. Sorry white boys.
19.05.2014 - 15:52
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 19.05.2014 at 15:51

Well, I am guilty of not finding these absolutely hideous, although I wouldn't dare to sport them. After all, from a metalhead's point of view I'm a filthy hipster. I think I like them just because they look cool on a black dude. Put them on a white trash shrimp and it changes everything. Sorry white boys.

I might appreciate the second one more if his jeans weren't halfway down his arse
19.05.2014 - 15:53
raveneffect

Yep, Blacks do it better
19.05.2014 - 15:56
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 19.05.2014 at 15:52

I might appreciate the second one more if his jeans weren't halfway down his arse

Yeah, why isn't that over already? I mean lately everything has been about high waist jeans, and skirts, even high waists for men's trousers. Why is the saggy pants thing still around? It's been around for like... 30 years
19.05.2014 - 16:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 19.05.2014 at 15:56

Yeah, why isn't that over already? I mean lately everything has been about high waist jeans, and skirts, even high waists for men's trousers. Why is the saggy pants thing still around? It's been around for like... 30 years

Maybe it's a penis-related thing. Actually I think I read somewhere (probably nonsense) that it's a prison thing, whereby having your trousers worn low means that you're "available" to the other inmates. Probably not true, but I really hope it is.
19.05.2014 - 16:17
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I just can't appreciate the jacket or the low pants. No matter the race. D:
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.05.2014 - 16:20
Mattybu

Written by Guest on 19.05.2014 at 15:39

Written by Ilham on 19.05.2014 at 15:20

Ahahahahahahahaa. I remember getting one hell of a laugh the first time I saw that one on top, which was a while ago. So very bad. All it's missing is spelling Megadeth Mega Death.