Metal Storm logo
The Ultimate Mega Metal Dress Code Thread (Patched Vest,T-Shirt,Coat)

Original post

Posted by raveneffect, 15.05.2014 - 16:55
"Morning hits, you wake up with a smile on your face.
It's that day, the one you've been waiting for the entire week, the entire month, possibly the entire year since it's been announced. You couldnt believe it when you read the news...it's been what? 6...7 years since their last show at your hometown? Fuck yeah! It's gonna be a great day...better...its gonna be THE day!
You get up, plug in that classic record and hit the shower singing the lyrics, shredding your air guitar on that ripping solo. Your phone rings, probably a message from the boys, saying they'll meet you there after work. Not you, you took the day off, the boss can go fuck himself, there's no way he'll keep you from getting to the front row. So, it's dressing time: you've got your shoes, your trousers, the usual battle vest but you're missing the T-Shirt. There's so many of them! Will it be the classic Album one? There's gonna be a million of these t-shirts, everyone has one....maybe the new album....but it's not as powerfull...
fuck it man, it has to be perfect!"

This used to be me on my "young years". The dilema of choosing what to wear at THAT gig i've been waiting for so long. Something most of us, Metalheads, can relate to at somepoint, has to be our care for the Metal culture clothing so, Due to popular Demand, I've decided to Open up this interesting Thread, based on a recent one here: http://www.metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=44625

Do you have a Battle Vest? Maybe a rare t-shirt you want to share with us? This is the place to do it.
10.07.2014 - 03:31
Mattybu
I once went to a trve kvlt BM gig wearing nothing but a surgical glove over my man parts and a loin cloth of 80's hair metal band patches sewn together to cover my backside
10.07.2014 - 03:44
Ilham
Giant robot
Hahaha. ^

I once went to a gig wearing clothes.
10.07.2014 - 21:18
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
My comment was taken the wrong way, wearing different shirts to different types of concerts usually introduces you to more open minded people. I can't usually can't stand anyone tha refuses to listen to anything but one genre of music. There's so much more out there
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
11.07.2014 - 00:46
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.07.2014 at 03:19

Yeah and I wore a pink kitten shirt with fluorescent green stripes to a true kult bm gig SO FUCKING WHAT?
Look at us all trying to be as fucking hipster as fuck.

Lovely said
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
12.07.2014 - 05:44
Totenlieder
Written by Boxcar Willy on 10.07.2014 at 21:18

My comment was taken the wrong way, wearing different shirts to different types of concerts usually introduces you to more open minded people. I can't usually can't stand anyone tha refuses to listen to anything but one genre of music. There's so much more out there

I think both of our comments were.
I also agree with you.
----
Blut & Krieg
14.07.2014 - 05:06
Thrashette
I'm a fan of battle jackets (and any other DIY clothing, including modified band shirts) because of the creative aspect, but don't really consider it a sign of someone's metal status. I like how it reflects not only on one's music taste but also the personality and individuality of whoever designed it when you consider how they laid out the patches, how many patches they have, and the non metal-related things they have. I definitely kept symmetry and colour scheme in mind while making mine (http://stephymudkip.deviantart.com/art/Battle-Jacket-410633843, apologies for bad lighting but it's the only pic I have right now and I suck at photo editing) which resulted in some people telling me I'm too OCD and others telling me I'm great with making designs. If you click on the link to my jacket and read the conversation I had with LusoSkav, you'll see my thoughts on the jackets that just have the patches randomly thrown on, scattered, or clustered too close together. And in case anyone's wondering, yes I'm one of those losers who put My Little Pony, Adventure Time, and Pokemon buttons on their jackets
14.07.2014 - 05:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 10.07.2014 at 21:18

Kind of makes me think you're thinking about it too much. Trying to pre-empt people's reactions just gives you a holier-than-thou attitude. Wear a metal shirt to a metal gig and stop trying to be counter counter-culture.
14.07.2014 - 05:35
Mattybu
Written by Thrashette on 14.07.2014 at 05:06

(http://stephymudkip.deviantart.com/art/Battle-Jacket-410633843)

Looks freakin' awesome. Very symmetrical and clean layout, nice patches and everything. The Coroner one especially is just perfect where it is.
14.07.2014 - 05:39
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Ya I'm with Matty on this one, that jacket's tight as tits.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.07.2014 - 16:35
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^ Tight on the tits? I like the look of that
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
16.07.2014 - 18:18
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I used to worry about what I wore to shows more than I do now. I guess age has something to do with it. Now, I just have the band T-shirt usually and some snickers. Something decent that I feel comfortable in. I hardly ever wear my combat boots anymore. They are just not that comfortable at this point.

I usually have to walk a lot to get to the venues, so it's practical. I also buy the band T-shirts usually because they look good and to support the band, so yes... But it's also the clothes I wear on a daily basis. So, it's not like I just wear this when I go to shows.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
19.07.2014 - 14:56
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I can't stand patch jackets that are that even and over crowded. It just looks like a huge clusterfuck in my opinion.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
19.07.2014 - 14:58
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 14.07.2014 at 05:10

Wear a metal shirt to a metal gig and stop trying to be counter counter-culture.

OR I can wear whatever the fuck I want.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
19.07.2014 - 15:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 19.07.2014 at 14:58

OR I can wear whatever the fuck I want.

Then do it, but don't make silly pretences about doing so.
19.07.2014 - 15:12
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 19.07.2014 at 15:02

Then do it, but don't make silly pretences about doing so.

Well hey, all I can say is I went to an indie show last night in a baroness shirt, and I ended up talking to the guitarist about the band for 20 minutes. It's not like I actively try to go against the grain but wearing different genre shirts, but like I said earlier, you meet cool people doing so. Try it out the next time you go to a non metal show, you'll be surprised.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
19.07.2014 - 15:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 19.07.2014 at 15:12

Well hey, all I can say is I went to an indie show last night in a baroness shirt, and I ended up talking to the guitarist about the band for 20 minutes. It's not like I actively try to go against the grain but wearing different genre shirts, but like I said earlier, you meet cool people doing so. Try it out the next time you go to a non metal show, you'll be surprised.

I don't make decisions on what I wear based on that. If I want to talk to someone I'll talk to them regardless of what they or I are wearing.
19.07.2014 - 16:25
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 19.07.2014 at 15:13

Written by Boxcar Willy on 19.07.2014 at 15:12

I don't make decisions on what I wear based on that. If I want to talk to someone I'll talk to them regardless of what they or I are wearing.

I gotta say it though... I went to a (shitty) local one-day metal festival and most of my friends went there mostly to just sit in the grass and get drunk. Even those who don't lsiten to metal (aka most of them now that I think of it). I wear band thirst on a regular basis so I don't ever think about it too much... Long story short for the first time I started to really talk with some acquaintance I didn't know well before just because she noticed my Pig Destroyer tshirt. She doesn't even listen to metal that much. So it was a good icebreaker.

Anyways... there's no point to this story really... But that sometimes you DO get a nice reaction from people. But the difference is that I would have never done that on purpose. xD
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.07.2014 - 16:32
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.07.2014 at 16:25

I gotta say it though... I went to a (shitty) local one-day metal festival and most of my friends went there mostly to just sit in the grass and get drunk. Even those who don't lsiten to metal (aka most of them now that I think of it). I wear band thirst on a regular basis so I don't ever think about it too much... Long story short for the first time I started to really talk with some acquaintance I didn't know well before just because she noticed my Pig Destroyer tshirt. She doesn't even listen to metal that much. So it was a good icebreaker.

Anyways... there's no point to this story really... But that sometimes you DO get a nice reaction from people. But the difference is that I would have never done that on purpose. xD

I'm fine with that but this whole "I must wear non-metal to metal gigs and metal to non-metal gigs" implies that a) the only interesting people are those that pick up on such things, and that b) the implication, by proxy, that it somehow makes you more interesting by doing so. I find it ironic that a person could go to a metal show and attempt to bypass metallers by wearing a non-metal shirt and then seek our metallers at a non-metal show by wearing a metal shirt. That makes no sense to me and reeks of pretentious poseur-ness. If you want to talk to people at a metal show about metal then talk them. Don't wait until you find an anomalous metaller at a non-metal show, and vice a versa.
19.07.2014 - 17:06
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.07.2014 at 16:25

Yeah I can understand that a t-shirt can be a nice ice-breaker when you have no other ideas or lack social skills . Kidding.
But I never had any t-shirts and I went alone to gigs all the time in the beginning. You're going to say it's because I'm a girl, people come to talk to me. Actually no, I just went and talked to people. People over-think the t-shirt/battle vests thing. Although I'm being a little bit of a hypocrite, because I used to dress in ways that screamed BM.

But that time has passed, I put away the black clothes, the boots, the bullet belt and leather. It didn't change how people talked to me at gigs really.
19.07.2014 - 17:30
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Ilham on 19.07.2014 at 17:06
Yeah I can understand that a t-shirt can be a nice ice-breaker when you have no other ideas or lack social skills . Kidding.

I hate you.

And I hate you even more because I kind of want a bullet belt.

The only thing I think about what I wear for a concer is some simple: "is it death metal?... Eh, let's take a death metal-related tshirt". No more than that.
Oh, I dont like wearing a tshirt of the band I'm seeing either. It just feels weird to me. But I swear that's the only thing I think about.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.07.2014 - 18:11
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.07.2014 at 17:30

And I hate you even more because I kind of want a bullet belt.

The only thing I think about what I wear for a concer is some simple: "is it death metal?... Eh, let's take a death metal-related tshirt". No more than that.
Oh, I dont like wearing a tshirt of the band I'm seeing either. It just feels weird to me. But I swear that's the only thing I think about.

Well at that time I didn't care about the type of music, I wore those clothes everyday. I was that nutjob that went to the supermarket with her bullet belt and combat boots. So I never had to choose anything. I sold the belt, that shit is expensive and when I got in trouble it helped a great deal to get those 80 euros back. At which point I gradually moved on from that look to... something like this:

And then I dropped that altogether as well.
19.07.2014 - 19:10
Mattybu
I once wore a Detroit Lions shirt to a show, and nobody talked to me about football :'(
19.07.2014 - 19:19
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Mattybu on 19.07.2014 at 19:10

I once wore a Detroit Lions shirt to a show, and nobody talked to me about football :'(

I bet if you went to a Detroit Lions game wearing a metal t-shirt, someone would've talked to you about said t-shirt.
19.07.2014 - 19:25
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Ilham on 19.07.2014 at 19:19
I bet if you went to a Detroit Lions game wearing a metal t-shirt, someone would've talked to you about said t-shirt.

Ya I wore a green American Eagle shirt to a Truckfighters concert and nobody came up and talked to me about overspending on cheaply made mass-produced clothing.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.07.2014 - 19:28
Mattybu
Written by Ilham on 19.07.2014 at 19:19

Written by Mattybu on 19.07.2014 at 19:10

Problem is, chances are I would buy a jersey from the merch booths and put it over my shirt if I actually got to go to Detroit to see a game. I would be like a giddy schoolgirl.
19.07.2014 - 19:30
Mattybu
Also lol, T-bone rocked that bright green shirt like a boss
19.07.2014 - 20:46
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Mattybu on 19.07.2014 at 19:28

Problem is, chances are I would buy a jersey from the merch booths and put it over my shirt if I actually got to go to Detroit to see a game. I would be like a giddy schoolgirl.

Your t-shirts must be so big the logos and and designs must be visible from the other side of the stadium. When you go to gigs, you just need a headlamp and you could pass as a billboard for the venue.
I hope they're not as expensive as official football jerseys in Europe. You'd be a high-maintenance giddy schoolgirl.
20.07.2014 - 06:51
Winterheir
Account deleted
I tend to see metal as more of a mindset instead of a fashion statement but I must say that some bands employ some very intricate and visually appealing t-shirt designs. All the same, I prefer plain t-shirts as I don't like to draw attention to myself and, besides that, I need my shirts in tall which isn't a size option I've seen available for band t-shirts.
12.08.2014 - 09:50
no one
Account deleted
12.08.2014 - 11:24
raveneffect
That hand Ink looks awesome