Metal Storm logo
Travelling, in general - or in particular

Original post

Posted by Ilham, 16.05.2014 - 22:26
Oi!

Holy shitsnacks! No general thread about travelling on MS? Here's one, now we have room for stories, questions, and tips.

Where do you wanna go?
Do you have a dream destination?
Places to avoid?
What is the craziest thing that happened to you while travelling abroad?
Useful tips you learned on the road?
19.05.2014 - 21:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 19.05.2014 at 20:39

Written by Bad English on 19.05.2014 at 19:51

SAS are most know, all should know, best or secen best military unit in the world ... everyone knows them ... must know , its like knowing who was JFK or Churchil ....

Nope. No one tells me I must know military units. I have no interest in military... JFK and Churchill were important historical figures. Military units are more specific and I do not consider them to be part of general knowledge... or there's a possibility I'm just an idiot who just missed out on some history classes... it's off topic, by the way...

Speaking of travelling... I'd like to go and visit St. Petersburg. It's a beautiful city and a rather short distance from Tallinn.

Those military unites are legendary even its histpory SAS how they fought whit nazies in Africa and Italy
Its liek Navy SEAl what you can even know from watching american movies ---- I dont ask to know specnaz, komando specialkrafte, french marine comandy

Peter is beatuiful but Rus ... you need visa and I think visa costs
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
19.05.2014 - 21:29
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Bad English on 19.05.2014 at 21:09

Travelling costs in general. Tickets cost, accommodation costs, food costs...

And you need a travel permit or a visa for entering the US as well (unless you're a citizen or a resident)... you can't even transit through the US without having a prearranged, paid, and approved permit...
19.05.2014 - 21:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 19.05.2014 at 21:29

Written by Bad English on 19.05.2014 at 21:09

Travelling costs in general. Tickets cost, accommodation costs, food costs...

And you need a travel permit or a visa for entering the US as well (unless you're a citizen or a resident)... you can't even transit through the US without having a prearranged, paid, and approved permit...

Baltics dont need visa and I have no money to travel, I can hardly travel only in EU ....so I dont plan travel in somewhere there
----

apos;'
[image]
19.05.2014 - 22:11
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Bad English on 19.05.2014 at 21:36

Baltics dont need visa and I have no money to travel, I can hardly travel only in EU ....so I dont plan travel in somewhere there

Yes you do.

The ESTA costs $14 and allows you to visit the US and stay for up to 90 days if the purpose is business or tourism. If otherwise, a visa sticker is needed. If you have a non-biometric passport, a visa sticker is needed. Plus you need to present an address of the hotel or the host receiving you in the US.

If you want to say that you can just fly to the US with just your passport then you know nothing. We've denied boarding to several people who said "Visa what? Esta what? Baltics don't need visa!"

ESTA is a cheaper alternative to a visa if you have the appropriate passport and travel as a tourist. But you won't be admitted to the country (nor allowed to board any US-bound aircraft) if you don't have any approved application.

An example of visa-freedom for Baltics is Ukraine... they just stamp your passport and you're happy to cross the border into the country...
19.05.2014 - 22:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I wanna see in USA what I wanna but I am realistic I dont care much what I need or not need to know about since I dont plan go there,,,, and 14 dollars is cheap ... I heard Rus ppl who ives in Swe say they need visa what cost 100 euros

isnt there a rule you can not have a adress but if you have 20 000 dollars in the bank?
----

apos;'
[image]
20.05.2014 - 00:21
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Places been - Tried to do a lot of "local" travel, visiting a lot of places in state, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Bisbee, blah blah (Arizona is bigger than the UK), also done some west coast travel - Bend & Portland, Oregon; Seattle, Las Vegas, San Diego, Denver...

Abroad - aside from the french side of Canada, and Nogales/San Carlos Mexico, have also saved up enough scratch that my better half and I have been to Paris, Venice, Bologna (3 hour visit), Florence, Rome, Munich, Salzburg (day trip from Munich), and had Marcel try to kill me with beer when visiting Amsterdam.

To see - pretty much too much to list. Our next eurotrip would likely involve Spain, maybe southern France and more of Italy. realistically- with us moving to Paraguay for a couple years, Yguazu Falls, Rio, Buenos Aires, Machu Picchu, Chile (Santiago? the desert in the N? catching Everton de Vina del Mar?) ...

as for visas..meh, each South American country will cost us around $160 each to get visas for. sadly not quite as easygoing as CAN/US/Mexico or the EU.

in order to see Iguazu Falls it will cost $640 for us to get visas to both Brazil and Argentina. Of course that's nothing compared to how much just the airfare would be if we weren't already going to be there... and at least the visas last a couple years, so can incorporate trips to Rio and Buenos Aires at other points.

Places to avoid? - not much to add. Even something as shitty as Laughlin, Nevada is fun with the right mindset. I guess the major streets "below" Sacre Coeur in Paris. Waste high garbage in some of the alleys leading to the hill. Had a better experience getting off the metro "behind" it.

Craziest thing? - Aside from Marcel trying to kill me with booze? (We met at 10pm, closed the bar. 10 rounds in 3.5 hours or so. Yes, 10 rounds. Including bombers, not just 330cl bottles) ...

1 - In Roma, MrsCOld and I were separated by about 15 feet in a piazza on our way to the Pantheon. Some older grey haired man approached her and asked her if she was German. She looked at him, sort of confused. I caught up at this point as he asked again, assumed he was trying ot wrangle us into his restaurant like so many other aggressive tourist traps. Replied "NEIN!" and we went on our way. At the Pantheon we were checking it out, taking pics of the Oculus, and as I turn to snap one, who do I see next to her, trying to quickly turn away while obscuring his face with his hand? That dude... apparently he had followed us a couple hundred meters into the Pantheon. We made tracks, zipping out a different alleyway and passing through a couple piazzas before pausing, then getting a White Russian at some restaurant near the Colosseum.

2 - In Amsterdam, rented a Boat Bed & Breakfast. Cheapest place we stayed in Europe, or most of our domestic trips as well. Also the coolest, and had some good footage. In any case, we missed the owner as an appointment came up, so he left the key and we went in without any instruction, etc. A few minutes after arriving and settling our bags we see a bunch of black-clad "youths" tromping around on the dock. So I got out to see what's up... turns out they were a Czech ska/rock band, Prague Conspiracy, and wanted to film a video on our dock. I shrugged - "it's a B&B, we just got here. no idea if it's cool... i won't say nothing if you don't!"

So we posed for a pic with the band (minus the lead singer), and the video was filmed... the wheelhouse of the boat to the left (band's right) was the entry point to our crash pad.

spot the yank hanging with the band
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
20.05.2014 - 02:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
BTW India made better and easier visa shit... I dont remeber but if you have any travel plans, you go ambecy, and they give you some paper, you land in India you get visa there at aiport... India were pissed because many go to Thailand... and wanted to see more tourist there, so fovem,net made new rules
----

apos;'
[image]
20.05.2014 - 03:27
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by deadone on 19.05.2014 at 05:12
Croatian culture is beyond fucked and my relatives fully embrace it (it's why I haven't spoke to my parents in nearly a full year and intend to make it a full lifetime).

Wow. I'm sorry you have this kind of experience. Personally, I don't know much about Croatian culture... but I guess it's rather traditional.
I might be going to Croatia for two weeks in June/July. Not sure where as the trip is not exactly my idea and I haven't said 'yes' yet, however I would love to see the country because it must be as beautiful as it is in the pictures.
Btw, just out of curiosity - what is a 'non-Croatian looking woman'?

Written by Bad English on 19.05.2014 at 19:51

SAS are most know, all should know, best or secen best military unit in the world ... everyone knows them ... must know , its like knowing who was JFK or Churchil ....

No, we shouldn't. If it interests you, good, but not all of us are interested in military stuff and you should not expect us to know things like that. But I do expect you would know at least about the visa regime between the Baltics and the U.S., especially - what is the difference between a visa (costs 120 eur, btw) and ESTA (apparently, in total it costs 74$). So why can't YOU check the internet like all of us do?

I just couldn't stand it any longer.
20.05.2014 - 12:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ragana on 20.05.2014 at 03:27

No, we shouldn't. If it interests you, good, but not all of us are interested in military stuff and you should not expect us to know things like that. But I do expect you would know at least about the visa regime between the Baltics and the U.S., especially - what is the difference between a visa (costs 120 eur, btw) and ESTA (apparently, in total it costs 74$). So why can't YOU check the internet like all of us do?

I just couldn't stand it any longer.

You should know real SAS... all shoul , its ust eucation and you should know your heathen gods and S-Pils major name

and I dopnt plan travel to states I do checkll info nefore I travel

Croatia is nice but as deadone tod its Balkans ... you should see Torcida and Bad Blue Boys
----

apos;'
[image]
20.05.2014 - 12:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by deadone on 20.05.2014 at 03:39

Written by Ragana on 20.05.2014 at 03:27

Wow. I'm sorry you have this kind of experience. Personally, I don't know much about Croatian culture... but I guess it's rather traditional.

They like to pretend they're Western European but their values are typical Balkans.

Happy for you --- BBB , Torcida, Kohorta and Armada be ''proud'' of you and you should sing ''delije, grobari - pice''
... I think if 3th generation lives like balkan folks, greeks what so ever in Ausie and States, they shouild consider then selfs as asues or amies, canadians ... since you neve rmove to ethnbic land ... and IMO it would be big mistace
.... languadge is good, to know
----

apos;'
[image]
20.05.2014 - 14:32
toxx
Supreme being
I would like to see more of my own country. Especially the northern parts. Haven't really gotten around too much.
20.05.2014 - 15:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by toxx on 20.05.2014 at 14:32

I would like to see more of my own country. Especially the northern parts. Haven't really gotten around too much.

best tim to travel...midnight sun is almost there
----

apos;'
[image]
21.05.2014 - 20:33
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Bad English on 20.05.2014 at 02:39

BTW India made better and easier visa shit... I dont remeber but if you have any travel plans, you go ambecy, and they give you some paper, you land in India you get visa there at aiport... India were pissed because many go to Thailand... and wanted to see more tourist there, so fovem,net made new rules

India is over populated. You sneak in and no one gives a fuck.

Kidding.

Yes, India is bit handy at airport and handling out visa's issues. It's not as tough as in Europe(UK probably will be the TOUGHER one when it comes to embassies or visa issues). They rip you off. India is easy. Show them the official documents(even prints out and you get away with that). That's the probably reason New Delhi's slums areas has lot of foreigners hidden under cheap hotels with some crappy job and still sitting in shops to "god knows what". India believing in cross-checking from other countries but in UK you just can't cross check, if you have "loose" print outs, you're welcoming good amount of trouble(with awesome penalty).

And talking about "aggressive tourist traps", hell welcome to India now. They double charge you on taxis, guides, Hotels, Restaurants, tickets etc.

But, extreme North India is incredible. South fucking sucks.
22.05.2014 - 02:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by deadone on 22.05.2014 at 02:14

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 21.05.2014 at 20:33

Yes, India is bit handy at airport and handling out visa's issues. It's not as tough as in Europe

One upside of being an Australian - intergovernmental agreements that mean no tourist visa is required for Europe!

I am watchinh Ausie border service documentaries ... some if travelers there are retards LOL
great show, great ausie accent
----

apos;'
[image]