03. Master Of Depravity
04. The Dragon Reborn
05. We Burn
06. The Noble Beast
07. Peeling Back The Veil
08. Disintegrating Force
09. On Wings Of Steel
10. Nothing To Repent

Debut efforts rarely come as solidly written as Noble Beast. Within power metal especially, finding the best way to put your band out there with a studio effort is a challenging task. Noble Beast's self-titled is blazing and impressively complete.

Despite being in action for seven years this is their first attempt at an album, and as such it's evident that a lot of work has gone into it. The strength of debut's such as this can often tell us whether a band will stand the test of time, whether their act is durable enough to persevere in their respective genre and locality's scene. These Americans pass with flying colours in this high quality effort showcasing an addictive set of power metal tracks.

Their first leap into power metal glory is a very promising one, as this album offers a quality of song writing rarely achieved with so much energy, enthusiasm and hooky know-how within the genre, something at which more seasoned acts can only stand back in awe, considering the passion and fresh vigour on display here. Heavy with gutsy and guitar stuffed tunes, this fantasy themed and tasty piece has riffs galore and it really is a smorgasbord of lead work and hearty vocals served on the finest of Falconer platters. Mind you it does buy heavily into this Falconer comparison, minus all the folk elements and with an injection of the directive energy and dynamism of the US style, as well as the speedy origins of the European style and with a Judas Priest-like vitality. Ideally listeners will find it a lively unison of these American and European styles, as well as offering something of its own position which benefits from both.

This isn't merely a piecemeal display of the band's chops; they've basically got it all down from the get-go, which is in itself a commendable achievement. The band character they've establish already isn't exactly one-of-a-kind, nor does it need to be as it displays the subgenre's most essential strengths, namely effective riff writing in the guitar focused approach with very effective vocal arrangements, and expounds upon these to fullest potential with an unrelentingly consistent and robust track list. All band members are on exactly the same level of performance and notability within their roles; an evident equilibrium is at work, with the mix here managing to harness the strength of the twin guitar basis. Total blasters like "Disintegrating Force" exhibit the virtuosity of the guitars at their speediest capacity with high tempo riffs and shredding, the drums thundering along and perpetuating the charge with exhilarating pace. Plenty of alternations to the tempo throughout the album allows for some variety across the clearly Falconer influenced yet well defined style on display here.

Something more should be said of the vocals, the lead work often occupying a tenable mid-range perfectly suited for the heavy rhythm section and riff-centric style of delivery. Some backing work adds a bit of harsh vehemence and edge to the high flying choruses and soaring higher notes. The vocals never fall in limp resignation to the powerful and dominant guitar work, always keeping together as one effective unit.

Noble Beast prove that they're one very tight band with sure fortitude in their song writing. This effort certainly demonstrates that they've got a lot to offer within the power metal genre in the future.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 18.05.2014 by R'Vannith enjoys music, he's hoping you do too.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 160 users
18.05.2014 - 12:32
Rating: 9
R Lewis

I would have personally rated this a lot higher - one of the best pm albums I've heard in years. Nice review, however.
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
18.05.2014 - 14:35
Rating: 8
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by R Lewis on 18.05.2014 at 12:32

I would have personally rated this a lot higher - one of the best pm albums I've heard in years. Nice review, however.

Thanks, I think this is one of the most promising debuts I've heard from pm in a while, and it's also a very strong entry in the subgenre in general this year.
19.05.2014 - 23:28
Rating: 9
LascaillesShroud

Yeah I loved this album, I rated it quite highly and It's an incredible debut. Love these guys.
08.06.2014 - 08:17
Rating: 10
mikeprado30

Great debut indeed! I hope those guys don't ever lose this trademark sound
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
02.02.2015 - 18:48
hypnohamster

I can't remember the last time I listened to a power metal album start to finish, several times in a row. This band is amazing, and they promise that the 2nd effort is going to be "a lot better" (quoting the frontman there) -- hard to believe, but fingers crossed nevertheless.

Hits total: 5014 | This month: 9