Release date: April 2014

01. Body Choke
02. Death Mask
03. Possession Prayers
04. You Will Gag For The Fix
05. Negative Birth
06. Coil
07. My Three Crosses

How does a band top a masterpiece, exactly? Within metal, history has shown us with albums like Human and Hammerheart that it's typically done by changing their sound to something different, but still potent and effective. While this may sound like a bunch of theoretical bullshit, in the case of Lord Mantis, this rule is proving true yet again with Death Mask, an album that may not live up to its landmark predecessor, but perhaps doesn't have to.

Lord Mantis' third album can alternatively be seen as both a regression and an evolution, depending upon the expectations one goes into it with. In regards to Pervertor, Death Mask is a lot less filthy and relentless: the production comes across as a little less murky, and the bludgeoning speed of the previous album is present in a much smaller dosage. While this may come across as a disappointment, Lord Mantis have traded these techniques in for an all around "thicker," heavier sound, and a songwriting that seems to be more structured and compact. Opener "Body Choke," for example, retains nearly all of the band's trademark elements, yet takes a much more doom-like approach, with a more moderate tempo that makes the music come across as catchier, and in some ways easier to get hooked into. It's not a bad move by any means, and thankfully the band have also retained some of the chant-like repetition in their lyrics (a la "The Whip And The Body"), particularly the repeated "Blood rush is chilling!" (or something like that) line on "Possession Prayer."

In essence, where Pervertor finely balanced out the sludge and black metal elements of the band, Death Mask appears to be more focused on the sludge than the black, at least as far as musical delivery is concerned. Some exceptions and increases in tempo do appear, such as on the delightfully nasty "Negative Birth," and towards the end of the closing track, but the overall lack of such a type of delivery on the album in general makes it feel a bit underdeveloped when it actually does rear its ugly head. The saying typically goes that a band's third album is the "make it or break it point," and Death Mask puts Lord Mantis in a bit of an odd position going forward, because it honestly does a bit of both.

Regardless of all the love fans have over their previous album, however, it should be noted that Lord Mantis were coming off a landmark blackened sludge album with this release, so the fact that they had an almost impossibly high standard to duplicate should be taken into consideration when listening to it. Death Mask is one of those "follow ups to a masterpiece" sort of albums, that will be likely to only disappointment listeners who go into it with the expectations created from the band's preceding album. Is it Pervertor, Vol. 2? Not in the slightest. But, for the sake of maintaining artistic dignity and evolution of sound, does it really need to be? This reviewer thinks not.

Highlights: "Body Choke," "Possession Prayer," "Three Crosses"

Take your vitamins, children.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 22.05.2014 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 43   Visited by: 277 users
22.05.2014 - 17:25
Rating: 6
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I didn't feel the spark in this album. You inflated score on the basis of fanboyism but I still feel it wasn't GOOD AT ALL taking every aspect in this consideration. Pervetor was phenomenal but yet comparing with this will be out of the edge. This record has its own "playing" but very stripped off music it came out to be. Yes, I'm against this review. My score will stuck at 6.5.

Great band. Awesome music they created but this record is hellish letdown.
22.05.2014 - 17:57
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Felt more or less the same when I first heard this, although I wouldn't call anything Lord Mantis have released a masterpiece. I'd probably score it a few decimal points lower but it's still a serviceable album.

Nice to see Cynic maintaining his typical level-headedness when disagreeing with a reviewer's score.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.05.2014 - 18:11
Rupert
Ahh I remember that album art.
22.05.2014 - 18:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.05.2014 at 17:57

... although I wouldn't call anything Lord Mantis have released a masterpiece. ...

Totally agreed. Pervertor was a good album but far removed from being a masterpiece.

Quote:

Nice to see Cynic maintaining his typical level-headedness when disagreeing with a reviewer's score.

I never thought I would see day that the name Cynic and the word 'level-headedness' would be mentioned in the same sentence. What's nect? You saying all of Cynic's posts make total sense?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.05.2014 - 18:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
To be honest as decent as this is I'm not sure I'll ever find myself listening to it again. The debut and sophomore are leagues ahead, and there's just not really the need for this one in my life. A shame, but I'm sure many people will enjoy it.
22.05.2014 - 18:59
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 22.05.2014 at 17:25

You inflated score on the basis of fanboyism

I don't even know how to begin to respond to such a silly comment. You can appreciate a band for trying a new formula and still being fairly good at it without being a fanboy.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
22.05.2014 - 19:02
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.05.2014 at 17:57

I wouldn't call anything Lord Mantis have released a masterpiece

Yes, that's the magic word that gets people debating over what exactly it means with all of their subjective opinions, because it is a subjective definition. All I meant by that comment was that it set the bar pretty high for the style of blackened sludge, and the mark is going to be pretty hard to top.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
22.05.2014 - 19:04
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.05.2014 at 18:26

Pervertor was a good album but far removed from being a masterpiece.

Right back at you in regards to Watching From A Distance
----

~ II. VII
22.05.2014 - 19:17
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Rupert on 22.05.2014 at 18:11

Ahh I remember that album art.

Probably the only thing I remember about my first listen to it, sadly. This is definitely a far cry from the great Pervertor.
22.05.2014 - 21:36
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
I never thought I would see day that the name Cynic and the word 'level-headedness' would be mentioned in the same sentence. What's nect? You saying all of Cynic's posts make total sense?

I thought it was obvious that I was being sarcastic.

As for calling this a masterpiece Che, if you know such a subjective term is bound to incite argument or disagreement, why bother using it in the first place? At least contextualize it a little (a masterpiece within the blackened sludge scene or something, similar to how that Warning album is regarded as a masterpiece by the majority of those who listen to doom).
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.05.2014 - 00:03
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.05.2014 at 21:36

As for calling this a masterpiece Che, if you know such a subjective term is bound to incite argument or disagreement, why bother using it in the first place? At least contextualize it a little (a masterpiece within the blackened sludge scene or something, similar to how that Warning album is regarded as a masterpiece by the majority of those who listen to doom).

Maybe because I want to? That's kinda flawed logic if you ask me, you're basically saying not to say something if you know it's going to be controversial. I don't censor what I say like that. I called it a masterpiece because I think it is, and I would think it'd be a least a little obvious that I'm referring to it as one within the style from which it originates, not the entire metal genre as a whole.
----

~ II. VII
23.05.2014 - 00:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.05.2014 at 21:36

I thought it was obvious that I was being sarcastic.

Of course I knew you were. But because the guy is such immense moron, even surpassing K7, I wanted to rub it in ;-)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.05.2014 - 01:23
Rating: 7
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
elite
I really like "Coil". That is all.
23.05.2014 - 01:58
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by Introspekrieg on 23.05.2014 at 01:23

I really like "Coil". That is all.

Hmmm, interesting you pick that one. I've heard a lot of people complaining about the vocals on that track.
----

~ II. VII
23.05.2014 - 02:41
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Auntie Sahar on 23.05.2014 at 00:03
Maybe because I want to? That's kinda flawed logic if you ask me, you're basically saying not to say something if you know it's going to be controversial. I don't censor what I say like that. I called it a masterpiece because I think it is, and I would think it'd be a least a little obvious that I'm referring to it as one within the style from which it originates, not the entire metal genre as a whole.

Far be it from me to suggest how you review, I was just trying to point out that introducing a reader to your review by calling something a masterpiece (especially when it comes to something as unmiraculous as a black and sludge metal hybrid band) is bound to take the focus off the rest of the review because it's such a strong statement, it distracts from the rest of the words that follow. I don't see how that can be considered censorship or flawed logic, and I also don't see how it's obvious that you implied it was a masterpiece within the genre in particular considering your opening line.

But like I said, I'm not here to try and dictate how reviewers write. Consider it constructive criticism that might potentially help with balancing your subjectivity with diplomacy as it were.
----
23.05.2014 - 03:08
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.05.2014 at 02:41

Far be it from me to suggest how you review, I was just trying to point out that introducing a reader to your review by calling something a masterpiece (especially when it comes to something as unmiraculous as a black and sludge metal hybrid band) is bound to take the focus off the rest of the review because it's such a strong statement, it distracts from the rest of the words that follow. I don't see how that can be considered censorship or flawed logic, and I also don't see how it's obvious that you implied it was a masterpiece within the genre in particular considering your opening line.

Advice taken, if not with a slight grain of salt
----

~ II. VII
23.05.2014 - 16:53
Erik M.
Written by Auntie Sahar on 22.05.2014 at 19:04

Right back at you in regards to Watching From A Distance

I guess you just lost a place to sleep next year during Roadburn. For the record, Watching From a Distance is surely 9-9.5 material for me.
23.05.2014 - 17:04
Erik M.
Written by Auntie Sahar on 23.05.2014 at 00:03

I called it a masterpiece because I think it is, and I would think it'd be a least a little obvious that I'm referring to it as one within the style from which it originates, not the entire metal genre as a whole.

Well, if it's a masterpiece in a certain style, say, doom metal, then it's still a metal masterpiece and a masterpiece in music in general. I know what you mean by this, but it's just an odd statement (as was Troy's by the way).
23.05.2014 - 17:13
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by Erik M. on 23.05.2014 at 16:53

I guess you just lost a place to sleep next year during Roadburn. For the record, Watching From a Distance is surely 9-9.5 material for me.

Something about Patrick Walker's vocals have just never done it for me. Far too whiny and "aaaaaaaahaaaaahaaaaah" for my tastes
----

~ II. VII
23.05.2014 - 17:28
Erik M.
Written by Auntie Sahar on 23.05.2014 at 17:13

Something about Patrick Walker's vocals have just never done it for me. Far too whiny and "aaaaaaaahaaaaahaaaaah" for my tastes

Didn't like his vocals initially either, but they really grew on me. Those "aaahaaahaaah" parts are actually great, especially that part in Bridges.
23.05.2014 - 17:59
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Auntie Sahar on 23.05.2014 at 17:13

...You bastard. D:
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.05.2014 - 18:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Back on-topic, please.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.05.2014 - 18:58
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.05.2014 at 18:16

Back on-topic, please.

You disagreed with my opinion, so NO!!!
----

~ II. VII
23.05.2014 - 19:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Auntie Sahar on 23.05.2014 at 18:58

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.05.2014 at 18:16

Back on-topic, please.

You disagreed with my opinion, so NO!!!

I have modding powers. So, you'd better listen to me or you want to be banned?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.05.2014 - 19:08
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.05.2014 at 19:07

I have modding powers. So, you'd better listen to me or you want to be banned?

I would love to be band, just find me a drummer and a guitarist please
----

~ II. VII
24.05.2014 - 19:25
Rating: 6
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
This could be the most derailed thread we've had in awhile.

On Topic, I probably won't listen to this.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
25.05.2014 - 01:53
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by Boxcar Willy on 24.05.2014 at 19:25

This could be the most derailed thread we've had in awhile.

Off topic, I probably won't listen to the next Deafheaven
----

~ II. VII
26.05.2014 - 02:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by deadone on 26.05.2014 at 02:15

Written by Boxcar Willy on 24.05.2014 at 19:25

Neither will I - the whole concept of Blackened Sludge sounds like it would an absolute mess and not in a good way.

How so? If two genres could merge well in certainly would be sludge and black due to the nastiness of both in their original forms.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.05.2014 - 02:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Black metal and sludge: cheese and pickle of metal. Rarely are two subgenres better suited to each other.
26.05.2014 - 03:35
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by deadone on 26.05.2014 at 03:05

And I hate Black Metal (other than a few symphonic BM bands).

Well then I now declare a blood feud upon thee that shalt not be resolved until the days of Ragnarok
----

~ II. VII

Hits total: 5811 | This month: 18