06. Soilborn
07. Numb Sickened Eyes
08. In The Unblind
09. One Last Sunset
10. Prelude [demo] [remastered edition bonus]
11. Soilborn [demo] [remastered edition bonus]
12. Vide Infra [demo] [remastered edition bonus]
13. In The Unblind [demo] [remastered edition bonus]

Those american melodic metallers came into the scene in 2000 with their self-titled debut, Killswitch Engage. This album dropped in when the nu-metal rage was burgeoning and hitting its peak and fans were drooling over this new kind of evolution. The metalcore genre wasn't center-focused neither while nearby thrash, death, black and gothic metal were making a gigantic impact. So, to drop their debut album, was not an easy task.

Killswitch Engage was already linked with major acts such as Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, and Sentenced, because they toured with them. People had this lucid image of the band, but impressions were still quite under the rug. So, before even knowing this record, I had a ripped CD with me and quite remember when the song "Soilborn" came on; leaving me no choice but to get stunned. It was super catchy, groovy, lots of chunk and the guitar work was phenomenal. It compelled me and I went to check out the entire record right away.

The album opener, "Temple From The Within", immediately sets the mood as it involved heavy guitar work with pretty high pitched vocals and spectacular bass. The momentum carried from the first song to the others was comparatively similar until they half way through when "Rusted Embrace" swung into all-together different layer of playing. It became more neatly packaged, highly formulaic and often often groovy sounding (initially it was purely thumping down of metalcore bashness ). From there to the finish, the record somewhat carried the same energy but ended flat with no groundbreaking moments. It was catchy but more plastic sounding with a good flow of melody, but boring as the songs were somewhat similar with their high intensity.

All in all, Killswitch Engage's output was repetitive. The songs were almost identical thus it forced me to shut down the whole crap the moment it passed over "Soilborn". It wasn't their best to start with it, but it had some really good moments in it. Some songs were heavy while others were more groovy than melodic.

Written by Cynic Metalhead | 01.05.2014

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 33 users
29.05.2014 - 19:59
Rating: 7
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by deadone on 29.05.2014 at 09:22

I've never heard this one and judging by the review I don't really want to.

Quote:
....fans were drooling over this new kind of evolution

Do you mean drooling over KSE or over Nu-Metal?

I meant Nu-Metal. It was on pure rage of people driving in.

Yeah, you right about KsE killing nu scene as they came in with the superb disc namely Alive. They popped bubble with Chimaira, Atreyu, Shadows Fall metalcore scene taking over Nu-Metal rage. Bands like Slipknot, Mudvayne, Disturbed, Deftones, P.O.D., SOAD, Static-X, Otep, Soulfly, SOiL, Saliva, American Head Charge, FFDP, Adema taking over charts when KsE dropped this debut.

Quote:

I never really saw references to this band until Alive or Just Breathing came out

Nope. They were hit since performing with DT, In Flames(as I said in my review) and their song "Soilborn" bought them to the scene. Actually, MTV picked up that stuff on their playlist and bled it all over the TV. I mean for me, I got into KsE from this song.
30.05.2014 - 19:11
Rating: 7
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by deadone on 30.05.2014 at 01:42

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 29.05.2014 at 19:59

Nope. They were hit since performing with DT, In Flames(as I said in my review) and their song "Soilborn" bought them to the scene. Actually, MTV picked up that stuff on their playlist and bled it all over the TV. I mean for me, I got into KsE from this song.

They certainly never hit Australia until Alive Or Just Breathing. But DT/In Flames themselves were pretty much underground in Australia until about Clayman and Haven/Projector (I'd heard them in about 1997 though). Nu-metal ruled the airwaves indeed!

I was in radio at the time and got all manner of promos and was in the loop so to speak. Never played Nu-metal though - show was always designed as metal one.

I think if you do little bit of YouTube of KsE initial days of getting into Metal scene, you'll see how they came in. In one of the early tours of KsE, they opened up for DT for mere 45 mins!

No one noticed them as they filtered down the coffee mug quickly. The real shot came in from "Soilborn" song when MTV caught up this track and played it everywhere. Yeah, Engage got big with Alive but people were into this group by the time they released Alive.

Hits total: 2412 | This month: 5