14 want it

01. Torn By The Fox Of The Crescent Moon
02. There Is A Serpent Coming
03. From The Zodiacal Light
04. Even Hell Has Its Heroes
05. Rooks Across The Gates
06. Badgers Bane [vinyl bonus]

Additional info
Recording: Mathias Schneeberger, Randall Dunn & Dave Catching at Rancho De La Luna, Joshua Tree, California.
Mixing: Randall Dunn at Avast!, Seattle, Washington.
Mastering: Jason Ward at Chicago Mastering Service.
Producer: Randall Dunn.
Cover art & photography: Samantha Muljat.

Staff review by
Auntie Sahar
Rating:
Earth require little introduction for fans of drone. Their debut album has become so legendary in the scene that even Stephen O'Malley (a legend in his own right) was inspired to start a project named after one of its tracks. However, the band demonstrated soon after that they were never content to sit in this one style, and have been consistently reinventing themselves ever since. 2014's Primitive And Deadly only continues this trend, further proving that Earth aren't running out of the tricks in their hat anytime soon.

Read more ››
published 30.08.2014 | Comments (23)

Found in 12 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 23   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 279 users
29.05.2014 - 13:20
J. N.
Account deleted
"Primitive And Deadly, Earth's tenth studio collection, Carlson and long term foil, drummer Adrienne Davies, manage to pull off the trick of completing an Ouroborean creative cycle, 25 years in the making.

Some familiar faces on Primitive And Deadly: Bassist Bill Herzog (Sunn O)))), Joel RL Phelps, Jesse Sykes And The Sweet Hereafter), additional layers of guitar from Brett Netson (Built To Spill, Caustic Resin) and Jodie Cox (Narrows).

But perhaps the largest left turn on Primitive And Deadly though, is prominence of guest vocalists Mark Lanegan (Queens Of The Stone Age) and Rabia Shaheen Qazi (Rose Windows) who transform the traditionally free ranging meditations of Earth into something approaching traditional pop structures.

Available everywhere early September 2014. Vinyl pre-sales via http://www.southernlordeurope.com will be announced soon as well as some August tour dates."
30.05.2014 - 22:14
Rating: 8
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Holy fucking yes. Very excited for this one
26.08.2014 - 23:21
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Alex F on 30.05.2014 at 22:14

Holy fucking yes. Very excited for this one

Yeah, it's pretty damn sweet. Follows somewhat along the lines of the past three albums, and the addition of vocals makes the whole formula sound like some sort of obscure psychedelic rock.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
26.08.2014 - 23:28
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
The last couple of albums have shown a bit of dip in quality so I'm hoping this one makes up for it.
27.08.2014 - 04:21
Rating: 9
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Awesome, I absolutely love everything Earth has done.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
30.08.2014 - 15:54
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 26.08.2014 at 23:28

The last couple of albums have shown a bit of dip in quality so I'm hoping this one makes up for it.

You really think so? Gotta disagree with you there man, Earth have always been one of those bands to me capable of manifesting themselves into many different forms, but none of which suck.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
30.08.2014 - 16:05
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I really want earth to make like a 10 album vinyl boxset. Instant buy.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
30.08.2014 - 17:03
Rating: 7
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Auntie Sahar on 30.08.2014 at 15:54

Written by Guest on 26.08.2014 at 23:28

You really think so? Gotta disagree with you there man, Earth have always been one of those bands to me capable of manifesting themselves into many different forms, but none of which suck.

Joe never said that they sucked... They have jut been less great. The Bees is one of the bestest albums around. Ever. After that album they tried to develope that sound more with other structures and chello but the last two albums are not as inspired.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.08.2014 - 17:13
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.08.2014 at 17:03

Joe never said that they sucked... They have jut been less great. The Bees is one of the bestest albums around. Ever. After that album they tried to develope that sound more with other structures and chello but the last two albums are not as inspired.

Nah dude, I never thought he did, I just find all their albums enjoyable and well composed, from different perspectives. Even if I may like some more than others. Anyway, I will agree that the two Angels Of Darkness, Demons Of Light albums weren't as good as The Bees, but this new album is pretty fire. Heavy psychedelic rock sound, and the guest vocalists totally enhance the mood. Review coming in a few
----

~ II. VII
02.09.2014 - 21:04
Zap
I don't know shit about drone, but is this drone? Because this doesn't sound like drone to me. Same with The Bees.
02.09.2014 - 21:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Zap on 02.09.2014 at 21:04

I don't know shit about drone, but is this drone? Because this doesn't sound like drone to me. Same with The Bees.

Nah, they ain't been drone for 9 or 10 years. For some reason there are people that consider the new stuff a form of drone.
02.09.2014 - 21:30
Zap
Written by Guest on 02.09.2014 at 21:12

Nah, they ain't been drone for 9 or 10 years. For some reason there are people that consider the new stuff a form of drone.

Okay, what would you describe this as though?
02.09.2014 - 21:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Zap on 02.09.2014 at 21:30

Haven't heard this one, but Bees, Hex etc. I'd call some kind of Southern post-rock. Or something to that effect.
03.09.2014 - 05:50
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 02.09.2014 at 21:59

Written by Zap on 02.09.2014 at 21:30

Haven't heard this one, but Bees, Hex etc. I'd call some kind of Southern post-rock. Or something to that effect.

Eh, I still think it's drone. It's not Sunn or early earth. It doesn't build nor crescendo like post rock. I'd call it like Southern Rock/drone.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
03.09.2014 - 11:16
IronAngel

This is just straight Psychedelic Rock imo. Very little drone here; perhaps some on Even Hell Has Its Heroes. I mean, it's a very technical term that's easy to identify, and there just aren't many long, sustained drones here.

And yeah, previous albums were definitely post-rock. The kind of cheesy post-rock that "builds and crescendos" is a specific subgenre. It's not like Tortoise, Talk Talk or Bark Psychosis (probably the top 3 post-rock bands of the 90s) go for the build-ups, either. Or Slint, if you consider them post-rock. Bees, IMO, captured what is best about post-rock without the clichés abused by the likes of Explosions In The Sky or God Is An Astronaut.

Nice. album. The first track starts really strong but then the one with Mark Lanegan doesn't quite keep up. Mark is great, but there's not much of interest going on instrumentally, there.
03.09.2014 - 23:17
Rating: 6
Erik M.

Meh, checked out one song (3rd one on the album I think) and it really annoyed me due to its repetitiveness. Even "The Bees" was kind of boring, but that one I at least enjoyed, unlike this.
04.09.2014 - 06:10
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Awesome albums as always. Perfect Homework music.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
10.09.2014 - 00:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Really nice album. Goes a long way in recapturing the feel of The Bees, only with added lethargy, heaviness and psychedelia. While The Bees reminds me of the South (or what my perception of the South would be like) this has a much more night time in Fear and Loathing, Las Vegas strip on LSD feel about it. My only complaint is Mark Lanegan who doesn't really sound like he fits here (which is odd as I love Screaming Trees). This Rabia Qazi human is a huge boon though and adds to the tone immensely. Probably the best track here by far.

'Rooks Across The Gates' doesn't feature Lanegan as far as I'm aware.
14.09.2014 - 22:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 14.09.2014 at 22:24

Yes, I should really edit their style to have drone up to a certain year and then psychedelic rock or something from there, wouldst thou concur?

Their EPs kind of make it hard to be accurate; Legacy Of Dissolution seems like a mixed bag of styles, but I would say you could safely put them down as post-rock / psychedelic rock up until this one from HEX onwards.
14.09.2014 - 22:36
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 14.09.2014 at 22:29

Their EPs kind of make it hard to be accurate; Legacy Of Dissolution seems like a mixed bag of styles, but I would say you could safely put them down as post-rock / psychedelic rock up until this one from HEX onwards.

Up until this one? Implying that this one isn't psychedelic (might've misunderstood ya there)
Anyway, I like what you said about the nighttime feel of this album. It kinda feels like "The Darkside Of The Bees" or something, like those two albums are two halves of the same character, but Bees is the sun and this album's the moon: heavier and a bit more structured, while The Bees feels more airy and free flowing. That's my metaphysical 2 cents
----

~ II. VII
14.09.2014 - 22:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 14.09.2014 at 22:36

Up until this one? Implying that this one isn't psychedelic (might've misunderstood ya there)
Anyway, I like what you said about the nighttime feel of this album. It kinda feels like "The Darkside Of The Bees" or something, like those two albums are two halves of the same character, but Bees is the sun and this album's the moon: heavier and a bit more structured, while The Bees feels more airy and free flowing. That's my metaphysical 2 cents

Sorry, I meant up to and including this one. Probably the most psychedelic record they've done really.

And yeah, that's pretty much hit the nail upon the head there
10.11.2014 - 22:16
Rating: 6
Erik M.

Not bad by any means and even quite relaxing, but also quite boring. Just not my kind of music, so I don't think I'll spin this again.
23.11.2014 - 02:29
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 10.09.2014 at 00:59

'Rooks Across The Gates' doesn't feature Lanegan as far as I'm aware.

3:37, n00b
----

~ II. VII

Hits total: 6416 | This month: 13