01. Go And Hope
02. Nothing But The Whole
03. Behind The Curtain
04. All Is Known
05. Tale Of A Burning Man
06. The Past Is Death
07. Lowland

Additional info
Recorded in 2013 at Blackout Studio, Belgium.

Staff review by
Auntie Sahar
Rating:
There's been a lot of blackened death craziness being served up lately in our beloved metal genre. Within the past two years especially, it seems like the style has been seeing a return to form of sorts, with the likes of Bølzer, Teitanblood, Diocletian and others dishing out albums that are pleasantly old school, yet with a delicious modern twist. Of all these bands, however, it is probably Belgium's Emptiness who stand as the most immersing and emotive of them all. Their 2014 album encapsulates this idea perhaps better than ever before, and is nothing short of excellent.

Read more ››
published 18.06.2014 | Comments (43)

Found in 50 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 131   Visited by: 537 users
29.05.2014 - 14:36
Rating: 10
mz

This does not seem bad. Should check it in more details.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
29.05.2014 - 16:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 29.05.2014 at 14:36

This does not seem bad. Should check it in more details.

I think Alex Fenger put me on to the their 2012 album which was really good. Thing is I'm not 100% sure it was that album as the name and album cover is really generic but it sounds like it. It was a good album, just overshadowed by Aevangelist.

This sounds very nice indeed though, seems like they've expanded their sound a bit.

Great artwork too. Very Ringu.

29.05.2014 - 17:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Jesus, the guys from Enthroned made this. Didn't think they had it in them to make something of this calibre.

You know, I'd even go as far as saying this could be the black metal equivalent of Morbus Chron's 'Sweven' / Tribulation's 'The Formulas of Death'

Viva Emptiness.
29.05.2014 - 18:29
mz

Written by Guest on 29.05.2014 at 16:34

I think Alex Fenger put me on to the their 2012 album which was really good. Thing is I'm not 100% sure it was that album as the name and album cover is really generic but it sounds like it. It was a good album, just overshadowed by Aevangelist.

This sounds very nice indeed though, seems like they've expanded their sound a bit.

Great artwork too. Very Ringu.

I only heard 2 or three tracks of it on low volume this morning. Not sure if it's AotY material yet but if the rest of album are similar to those tracks, I can easily say that this is going to be one of the most unique sounding BM albums I've been exposed to recently, and it would also be damn ominous, too.
Moreover, if their previous album was similar to Aevangelist's debut, I'd have too also check it but in that case, kudos would be to them because of expanding their sound this much over the course of two years.
Finally, the cover+ the fact that this was meant to be blackend death metal was the thing that made me check it in the first place since band and album name sucks badly
----
29.05.2014 - 19:32
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 29.05.2014 at 18:29

I only heard 2 or three tracks of it on low volume this morning. Not sure if it's AotY material yet but if the rest of album are similar to those tracks, I can easily say that this is going to be one of the most unique sounding BM albums I've been exposed to recently, and it would also be damn ominous, too.
Moreover, if their previous album was similar to Aevangelist's debut, I'd have too also check it but in that case, kudos would be to them because of expanding their sound this much over the course of two years.
Finally, the cover+ the fact that this was meant to be blackend death metal was the thing that made me check it in the first place since band and album name sucks badly

Al the tracks are similar but kind of different in their own ways. There's nice bits of psychedelia and stuff on some of them. If you like the two tracks you've heard then the whole thing should appeal to you.
30.05.2014 - 01:37
mz

Hell yeah I cant get enough of this. At points, it brings Aluk Todolo's OR to the mind. Also, it reminds me very slightly of Verdunkeln in some moments, probably because of that semi-clean guitar but overall, it is for sure more than just sounding similar to other bands.
Also, vocals are very well done. Love them especially in the 1st track. They set the mood pretty good.
I'd argue that this is not easy to categorize. Maybe psychedelic/progressive blackend death metal is the closet thing to it. Now that Joe has said it, I think BM equivalnet of MC/tribulation is damn apt.
1 thing that baffling me is the abrupt end of the final track. Is it really the case or I have a bad file downloaded.
Edit: Psychedelic death/ black metal is better.
----
30.05.2014 - 01:39
Rating: 8
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by mz on 30.05.2014 at 01:37

Also, it reminds me very slightly of Verdunkeln in some moments, probably because of that semi-clean guitar

Sold. I'm gonna listen to this
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
30.05.2014 - 01:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 30.05.2014 at 01:37

Hell yeah I cant get enough of this. At points, it brings Aluk Todolo's OR to the mind. Also, it reminds me very slightly of Verdunkeln in some moments, probably because of that semi-clean guitar but overall, it is for sure more than just sounding similar to other bands.
Also, vocals are very well done. Love them especially in the 1st track. They set the mood pretty good.
I'd argue that this is not easy to categorize. Maybe psychedelic/progressive blackend death metal is the closet thing to it. Now that Joe has said it, I think BM equivalnet of MC/tribulation is damn apt.
1 thing that baffling me is the abrupt end of the final track. Is it really the case or I have a bad file downloaded?

Yeah I love that whole delay clean guitar thing. Aluk and Verdunkeln, and maybe even Solstafir, are always the bands that come to mind, even though it's a pretty common technique.

I also found that abrupt end quite a surprise. I thought my internet connection cut out or something. I guess we'll have to wait until the actual release.
30.05.2014 - 01:49
mz

Written by Karlabos on 30.05.2014 at 01:39

Sold. I'm gonna listen to this

Obviously, I think you should do.
----
30.05.2014 - 01:51
mz

Written by Guest on 30.05.2014 at 01:43

I also found that abrupt end quite a surprise. I thought my internet connection cut out or something. I guess we'll have to wait until the actual release.

Actually, they have their album on bandcamp, and the problem seems to be intrinsic of their final track as the abrupt end is present in that version, too.
----
30.05.2014 - 01:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 30.05.2014 at 01:51

Actually, they have their album on bandcamp, and the problem seems to be intrinsic of their final track as the abrupt end is present in that version, too.

I guess it's intentional then. Not generally a fan of that myself. I like when bands end on a fade-out; especially if it's a really good track like on 'Rad a Trest' or 'In Sickness and in Dreams' but abrupt endings are a bit jarring.
30.05.2014 - 06:39
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 30.05.2014 at 01:54
I guess it's intentional then. Not generally a fan of that myself. I like when bands end on a fade-out; especially if it's a really good track like on 'Rad a Trest' or 'In Sickness and in Dreams' but abrupt endings are a bit jarring.

What about "Judgement" by Anathema? Personally I think the abrupt ending makes the song for reasons admittedly all too pretentious, whereas fading out would have been more... expected.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.05.2014 - 16:06
Rating: 9
angel.
Evil Butterfly
I'd prefer the abrupt ending, really I haven't heard something this mesmerizing for a long long time, I've replayed IT several times yesterday, immediately after I found it, thanks to JOOE.
----
The Fangirl.
30.05.2014 - 22:10
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Their 2012 album was one of the highlights for me for that year (and I revisted it just last month). Definitely need to check this one out
----
loves 小巫
30.05.2014 - 23:38
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 29.05.2014 at 17:31

Jesus, the guys from Enthroned made this. Didn't think they had it in them to make something of this calibre.

Shit I had no clue about that. Far above the quality of any Enthroned release
31.05.2014 - 14:33
mz

Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.05.2014 at 06:39

What about "Judgement" by Anathema? Personally I think the abrupt ending makes the song for reasons admittedly all too pretentious, whereas fading out would have been more... expected.

That method can work in many cases, like the one you mentioned but here, it seems like the end is due to a technical problem with recording of album. I know that the band itself probably had actually opted for this approach, but they used it in an extreme manner.

Btw, this immense songs also has very sudden ending, which does not work properly. Could be the best song of 2013 if it progressed a little more naturally.

----
31.05.2014 - 19:43
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 29.05.2014 at 16:34

I really enjoyed their previous album, Error. I should check this asap as most people are saying it's better. D:
Also, what an artwork. Damn.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
31.05.2014 - 19:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 31.05.2014 at 19:43

I really enjoyed their previous album, Error. I should check this asap as most people are saying it's better. D:

Fortunately it's pretty different so this one doesn't make Error not worth listening to or anything.
31.05.2014 - 20:02
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 31.05.2014 at 19:44

Written by X-Ray Rod on 31.05.2014 at 19:43

Fortunately it's pretty different so this one doesn't make Error not worth listening to or anything.

That's good to hear. Shame that not many people noticed Error. I thought it was a great album, nominee worthy.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
31.05.2014 - 20:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 31.05.2014 at 20:02

That's good to hear. Shame that not many people noticed Error. I thought it was a great album, nominee worthy.

Yeah, I think if Aevangelist hadn't released their debut people might have paid more attention to it. On here anyway.
01.06.2014 - 00:05
MetalDoomMaster

This album is very cool. It sounds kinda laid-back, but that's not really the term I'd use to describe it, it's just a unique release really. The vocals remind me of The Meads Of Asphodel.
03.06.2014 - 07:47
Lit.
Account deleted
Not bad at all. Digging the vocals.
19.06.2014 - 01:14
Diverge

This is very well-executed and entertaining for the first few listens, but this becomes tiring after many many listens.
20.06.2014 - 23:40
Rating: 6
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
I liked "Lowland" .. very good track!
21.06.2014 - 01:10
Ilham
Giant robot
This is genius. Resisting the urge to give it a 9 while I'm just halfway through the first listen. This is the first recent metal album I listen to and know I would go back to and enjoy many other times.
21.06.2014 - 01:40
Erik M.

Damn, seeing the praise this album gets, I must admit I'm very eager to hear it now, even though blackened death metal isn't really my thing in general...
21.06.2014 - 01:44
mz

Written by Erik M. on 21.06.2014 at 01:40

Damn, seeing the praise this album gets, I must admit I'm very eager to hear it now, even though blackened death metal isn't really my thing in general...

and this is not your typical blackend death metal. It's rather slowed down, mostly focusing on build up and tension.
Track 4 is the best track I've heard this year.
----
21.06.2014 - 02:30
Diverge

Written by Erik M. on 21.06.2014 at 01:40

I would also advise you not to take the classification too seriously here. Emptiness is a very interesting outfit and *feels* like an old school extreme metal band even if I can't necessarily make a comparision.
21.06.2014 - 02:36
Ilham
Giant robot
Second listen in a row, this is seriously the kind of blend of Black and Death that I love, with great attention to atmosphere and detail. The first track reminds me of the old Killing Joke in some parts. It's almost a blackened darkwave era Killing Joke song.
I love the fact the DM aspects they put in the mix are not the usual brutality, speed and stamina. It's all very subtle.
22.06.2014 - 06:27
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Creepy.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.

Hits total: 13948 | This month: 33