01. Arterias
02. Gathering Half The Deep And Full Of Voices
03. Tides
04. Mare Imbrium
05. Churning Of The Sea Of Milk
06. Days Since I Disappeared
07. Fragments
08. La Tormenta

I am always on the lookout for unique and ambitious post metal and Fragments Of Uniforms is a terrific addition for my post/sludge/atmospheric metal collection. The genre has become a bit stagnant lately, not to say there hasn't been quality releases, but it seems the music follows the same formula over and over and is afraid to take any chances.

Pet Slimmers Of The Year are a three-piece predominantly instrumental band assembled in the UK in 2008 and have released EP's in 2009 and 2010. Somebody over at Candlelight Records realized their potential and thought enough of them to offer their help for this release; their first full-length and debut record. A signing like this is a huge upgrade for the band as they get a chance to work with renowned producers such as Jonny Renshaw (Devil Sold His Soul) and really tweak their sound; ranging from inspired melodic riffs to smooth and glacial clean sections to a downright sludgy, black abyss.

There is more to Fragments Of Uniforms than just the heavy to soft back to heavy effect. A deeper listen will unveil other newly explored territory for "post" bands today and Pet Slimmers Of The Year have an even wider embrace of disparate musical influences in the post rock/metal haven. Soft and melancholic guitar passages aid reverbed and textured grunge/alternative sequences that create a truly breathtaking atmosphere.

Vocals are sparse, incidental to the sound, only to assist the calm and tranquilizing bass lines and slower, intensified drum patterns. This minimalist approach reinforces the delays and effects and abandons the verse-chorus form entirely. Fragments Of Uniforms makes great use of soundscapes and really doesn't abide by the rule that music should be intact by shared tradition or a set of conventions.

The most memorable part of this album, the thing that separates this release from the rest of the generic post metal I've tested every day for the past 5 years, is the extra "OOMPH" Pet Slimmers Of The Year embodies in the build ups and climaxes. It feels like there are layers upon added layers of thick multi-tracked guitars at some points of the songs. The volume increases to 11, the intensity, heightness and overall explosiveness of the sound enhances the power of the moment. This is vehemently illustrated on the track "Gathering Half The Deep And Full Of Voices", possibly my favorite song in this early 2014.

Fragments Of Uniforms does a great job creating something dynamic and exciting while maintaining that whole Isis-like mystique I so love and want in my post metal and by albums end I feel refreshed and at the same time exhausted; the music is very therapeutic and medicinal. Spacious and cinematic to the end, enjoy this unpretentious release for what it is: A post metal band with a silly name offering their precise style of well-crafted instrumental post metal.

Fans of Isis, Pelican and Russian Circles rejoice.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 10

Written on 01.06.2014 by Be gentle, I never said I was any good at this!

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 187 users
01.06.2014 - 22:32
Dr.Overkill26

I hope I can find the cd at fye or best buy or something. Oh and good review and all, I'm already sold in case you haven't noticed. Ok so it's Like over 23$ at fye, Fuck you FYE (as I'm handing my hard earned cash over).
----
Do you need what I need? Boundaries overthrown Look inside to each his own
Do you trust what I trust? me myself and I Penetrate the smoke screen I see Through the selfish lie
01.06.2014 - 22:34
BubbaBlack

Silly name for sure. Nothing silly about this awesome album however. I highly recommend for fans of this genre.
02.06.2014 - 01:53
Diverge

I've been meaning to check this out since you posted the link on my list. Now I'll download it so I won't forget later. Thanks for the great review, as always!
02.06.2014 - 17:24
Hallford9000

Checked out. Agree with review. Recommended.
21.09.2015 - 07:09
Rating: 8
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Really enjoying this album, great call.

what was the year of release? you show 2014... Spotify calls it 2015.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
11.03.2016 - 22:53
Rating: 9
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by BitterCOld on 21.09.2015 at 07:09

Really enjoying this album, great call.

what was the year of release? you show 2014... Spotify calls it 2015.

I Was always wondering how the hell can they play this song live?
Impressive...

----
rekt

Hits total: 5381 | This month: 4