Metal Storm logo
When and How did You start listening to Metal?

26.01.2007 - 14:44
..HumanError..
Account deleted
Well, I've been looking in the forum, but I couldn't find a topic like this one. Now that I finally got my 100 posts, I can create it . (Hope it wont be locked or deleted though).

I'd like to know when you guys have started to like metal. I think it reveals many things about people's personality, as in my opinion, Metal is not a kind of music you can listen to "by chance". I think there is a kind of... evolution, which eventually makes you listen to this music.

Personally, I started being into Metal only 3 years ago, in 2003, (which is kinda late,) thanks to Rammstein, I was about 14, but even then, I was more into Industrial and Rock. Even if I've been raised with a big brother who used to listen to classic Metal bands such as Iron Maiden and Metallica for instance, I've never thought I would regard myself as a "metalhead" one day.

I guess I wasn't mature enough to understand what Metal could really mean. But we all grow up. I've never really had a "happy" life, and I found in Metal things that helped me much. There were feelings I couldn't name, and Metal enabled me to understand more things about my own life and about people in general.
I think I wouldn't have started listening to this kind of music if I wasn't forced to leave the place I had been living in for years, for the second time. That special event, when I had to move and leave everything behind, made me start listening to Metal. And now i know i cant live without it.

Its your turn now , I'd like to know how and when you started listening to Metal. It might be really interesting I think, and I'm sure there is a lot to say .
26.01.2007 - 14:57
Eight
Shapeshifter
I started to listen to metal becouse rock was simply not enough, and my friend showed me the way , was erm... 4 or 5 years ago. I was growing with rock by my side for a while, coz my father allways listened to it
Thanks dad, thanks Amok and thanks metal

Ow and the bands i started the metal journey was Children of Bodom, Human Fortress, Sonata Arctica, Vanishing Point etc.
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
26.01.2007 - 15:10
APOHAKC
The Bard
Well, when I was a kid, maybe 7 years old I listened to traditional Rock music and bands such are Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin, my mother was a hippy and she used to like those bands, she never cut my hair since I was born, I looked like a girl, my father was a metalhead and he was opsessed by Iron Maiden and Venom, I still cannot understand how they even like in the first place, I live in a small city just beside the forest and because of the small population I never met any metalhead (beside my dad) until I started school, I move in Novi Sad and met whole new people, very few of them listened metal but they were making joke about my hair all the time, I wasn't aggressive person but I was geting in trouble all the time, I am talking about my 6th or 7th year, then some of older students who liked this kind of music accepted me, I was in their company all the time and they started to give my their tapes with metal bands, when my dad sees that he was overjoyed but my mom wasn't so happy, until my 13th I listened only to traditional bands like Iron Maiden, Venom, Manowar, one and only King Diamond... Then war and all other shit happens, it was very difficult to concetrate on anything but saving your life, one night in some stinking shelter my friend gives me his walkman with Cradle Of Filth on A side and Dimmu Borgir on B, to me it was extreme metal then, I wanted to find more and soon I found some Mayhem and Emperor stuff from a girl working in fancy CD shop, I asked her for some metal with screams, she laugh and said I want find it here but tomorrow she brought to me some of her staff, after war finished 7 or 8 mounths later, with new goverment everything get to normal, and it was easy to find everything you want, I was always deviant kid so everything with rotten crosses and shit was cool to me, I started to go to Black Metal parties and gigs and soon I started to play in my first band, I was good guitarist cause I play my instrument since my 6th, but no one wantid stupid and horny child in band, we make few gigs and they throw me out because I was to young to go with them from town to town and staff, now they are real famous here and many people in Slavonic countries knows for them.
As you said metal is something special and in such terrible conditions for life it gives you some sort of sanctuary from the out world, I lived in that world for a long time, now I cut my hair and I need to find some job cause I want to move, to live alone with my friends in the flat and it is expensive.
Well, it is almost my life story I hope no one will die from boring, hehe Long live Metal!
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
26.01.2007 - 15:18
Warman
Erotic Stains
My whole life I've been listening to rock bands like Queen, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Guns n' Roses, Mötley Crüe, Rush, Deep Purple, Judas Priest (not really rock though), Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Thin Lizzy, Kiss and Meat Loaf since my mom is a big fan of those. When I was 11 and moved to Stockholm I met some new friends. One of them showed me the Rock in Rio video of Iron Maiden's Fear of the Dark. I was stuck immediately, it was by far the best stuff I'd ever heard! Soon Iron Maiden, Metallica and Children of Bodom controlled my very early teenage years.
----
26.01.2007 - 15:25
..HumanError..
Account deleted
Written by APOHAKC on 26.01.2007 at 15:10

Well, when I was a kid, maybe 7 years old I listened to traditional Rock music and bands such are Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin, my mother was a hippy and she used to like those bands, she never cut my hair since I was born, I looked like a girl, my father was a metalhead and he was opsessed by Iron Maiden and Venom, I still cannot understand how they even like in the first place, I live in a small city just beside the forest and because of the small population I never met any metalhead (beside my dad) until I started school, I move in Novi Sad and met whole new people, very few of them listened metal but they were making joke about my hair all the time, I wasn't aggressive person but I was geting in trouble all the time, I am talking about my 6th or 7th year, then some of older students who liked this kind of music accepted me, I was in their company all the time and they started to give my their tapes with metal bands, when my dad sees that he was overjoyed but my mom wasn't so happy, until my 13th I listened only to traditional bands like Iron Maiden, Venom, Manowar, one and only King Diamond... Then war and all other shit happens, it was very difficult to concetrate on anything but saving your life, one night in some stinking shelter my friend gives me his walkman with Cradle Of Filth on A side and Dimmu Borgir on B, to me it was extreme metal then, I wanted to find more and soon I found some Mayhem and Emperor stuff from a girl working in fancy CD shop, I asked her for some metal with screams, she laugh and said I want find it here but tomorrow she brought to me some of her staff, after war finished 7 or 8 mounths later, with new goverment everything get to normal, and it was easy to find everything you want, I was always deviant kid so everything with rotten crosses and shit was cool to me, I started to go to Black Metal parties and gigs and soon I started to play in my first band, I was good guitarist cause I play my instrument since my 6th, but no one wantid stupid and horny child in band, we make few gigs and they throw me out because I was to young to go with them from town to town and staff, now they are real famous here and many people in Slavonic countries knows for them.
As you said metal is something special and in such terrible conditions for life it gives you some sort of sanctuary from the out world, I lived in that world for a long time, now I cut my hair and I need to find some job cause I want to move, to live alone with my friends in the flat and it is expensive.
Well, it is almost my life story I hope no one will die from boring, hehe Long live Metal!

Hehe, i knew it would be interesting sharing all this . Life is not funny ej :/ ? Iwish you all the best. Metal helps hu? Everyone should know that. Spread the world guys.
26.01.2007 - 15:29
Stratowarrior

the first time i got into metal was when i heard iron maiden's wicker man and then i started to buy their albums and to discover new metal bands like stratovarius that is my favourite.
----
power metal 'til death!!!!!!!!!
27.01.2007 - 21:47
Kaamos
Account deleted
I was in a juvenile mental "hospital" (it was an open unit or a halfway house, I'm not sure about the english term, but not your classic madhouse full of psychopaths) because of my chronic depression...
My roommate there then introduced me to Cannnibal Corpse, Cradle of Filth, Slipknot et cetera. Alse the youth leader there was huge Slayer fan, and borrowed me cd's of Slayer, The Haunted and such One of the nurses (also a huge Slayer/Bolt Thrower/Iron Maiden fan) played metal, so he taught me a little of guitar and drums.
Heh, so it's all their fault. Damn them.
27.01.2007 - 21:57
HeavenDuff

I started listenning to some metal cause of one of my friends, he gave me some stuff by Kalmah, COB and Edguy and I liked it, but that didn't really made me a metalhead. I began to be a metalhead when I found Slipknot, I bought 3 of their albums than I started listenning to Megadeth and Children of Bodom a lot, than evolved to Power Metal, Death Metal and lots of different stuff.

But as you said, you don't find metal by chance, normaly metalheads are a specific kind of persons, most of the times they are people who have been rejected by others at least once in their life. Metalheads are people who thinks a lot, about the world, society, life, emotions and all that stuff. Metalheads are not normal persons cause metal is not normal, thats why we rule !!!
----
Nothing less than a Metal God
27.01.2007 - 22:48
necrovamp

i got into metal whent he 1st lost horizon album came out, my freind had bought the album and told me to listen to it, so i did, and it felt lke i had just finsihed the puzzel, finally found out what the meaning to life actully was it opend my mind to another world, a world where people didn't hjate me and didn't attck me, though i stil have to work out the meaning of life, thank you Sam, i owe it all to you.
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
27.01.2007 - 23:03
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I started to listen to metal on my 13th birthday. I got a CD walk-man, and my first CD was Metallica's self-titled Black Album. To make a long story short, I am now a metalhead who likes all forms of metal. Thanks to metal, I also found Metal Storm.
27.01.2007 - 23:15
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Guest on 27.01.2007 at 21:47

I was in a juvenile mental "hospital" (it was an open unit or a halfway house, I'm not sure about the english term, but not your classic madhouse full of psychopaths) because of my chronic depression...
My roommate there then introduced me to Cannnibal Corpse, Cradle of Filth, Slipknot et cetera. Alse the youth leader there was huge Slayer fan, and borrowed me cd's of Slayer, The Haunted and such One of the nurses (also a huge Slayer/Bolt Thrower/Iron Maiden fan) played metal, so he taught me a little of guitar and drums.
Heh, so it's all their fault. Damn them.

Well, it reminds me on something, I also was in sanatorium, but not cause of me, one of my best friends tryed to commit suicide, and he was in extremelly bad condition, he wa dancing on the life or death line for days and he was in deep coma, after he woke up they put him in this hospital , he was starting to fall into more deeper depression, he was alone there and I was scared for his life, I insisted to put me there with him and they rejected me, I needed to find the way to get in there so I asked my mom and she wrote to them that I beat her, so I was in there, we was there for a mounth and he was feeling much better. It wasn't so bad there, we watched movies, play games like monopol and risico and listen to music, we even spread metal among other pacients, it wasn't hard, most of them accepted metal immidiately, it was a problem to get out, so my mom said that she lied, she could get in there very easy cause they thought she is not good influence for me by sending me there. I have some pictures from there so as soon I scan them I can show you, if you want. Life is not bad how it seems, you just have to fight for your believes and for your friends and you. If you don't do it, no one will, so friend I hope you are feeling better after you are released, and fight on.
----
27.01.2007 - 23:26
..HumanError..
Account deleted
Written by HeavenDuff on 27.01.2007 at 21:57

But as you said, you don't find metal by chance, normaly metalheads are a specific kind of persons, most of the times they are people who have been rejected by others at least once in their life. Metalheads are people who thinks a lot, about the world, society, life, emotions and all that stuff. Metalheads are not normal persons cause metal is not normal, thats why we rule !!!

Thats true ... And the older i get, the more different people think i am, the more lonely i feel, the more extreme my tastes in Metal gets. Do we rule ? I dunno, but our music definately does.
28.01.2007 - 15:27
Philaenas
Account deleted
Hm, I started listening to metal at the age of 18. I heard Nightwish, which my at that time 14 year old sis was playing. I thought it sounded pretty cool and put it on my mp3 player next to Coldplay/Radiohead 'n stuff. Eventually I started appreciating it more and tried other bands like Epica, After Forever, Sirenia, all kinds of presumably gothic bands. Gradually, I started listening to things like Moonspell, My Dying Bride, Katatonia, Opeth and In Flames. To now end up at things like Cannibal Corpse, Entombed, Swallow The Sun and Novembers Doom. I just grew into it quite rapidly, as if it would have been a natural part of my life, even if I would have started listening to it somewhat earlier So that's, quite briefly, my story.
28.01.2007 - 17:59
Charly546

I started listening metal a year or 2 ago. My dad listens to Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, and many progressive bands and i started to listen to them aswell. But i felt like something was missing and then a friend lended me his Iron Maiden CD. After that there was no stopping.
29.01.2007 - 02:36
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
I started to listen metal when I was 15, in 2004, a friend told me about bands like Nightwish, Therion, Tristania, etc. common bands. Since then I got really interested in metal and started to search for new bands and genres, that all my story in few words

Quote:

I completly agree with you man, that's one of the reasons why I like metal so much
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
29.01.2007 - 05:59
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I have technically been listening to metal my whole life, as my parents are both Ozzy/Black Sabbath fans, and I had always listened to metalica (As it was trendy) But I could not have technically called myself a fan of Metal untill My freshman year of highschool. My friend whom I had always known as a metal head let me borrow three things which have impacted my life majorly. He let me borrow Iron Maidens "The Early Years" DVD, Megadeth's "Rust In peace" and Shadows Falls "The Art of Balance." After that Iron maiden Became My favorite Metal Band of all time, Shadows Fall and megadeth are also two bands I also love very ferverently. Not long after that I began listening to Dream Theater and Judas Priest, and I progressed into bands like Dimmu Borgir, Arch Enemy, and Carcass (Though I still have not heard as much carcass as I'd like to) And well, now the Bulk of the music I listen to is Metal and Rap, and I usually listen to the artists from either genre that actually have talent. Because Of metal I am a much better musician than I could have dreamed of being more than 3 years ago. And I think metal has had such an impact on my life, that I actually plan on becoming a metal musician as my career move.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
29.01.2007 - 09:32
Larsson!
Account deleted
I got into metal just because a friend of mine (whom I'm not that good friend with now more :/ ) started to "force" me to listen to some of the bands he listened to, like Edguy, Metallica, Sonata Arctica and more. First I hated it since I listened to techno and stuff like that at that time. But after a while I started to like it more and more and I fixed a Metallica album (The Black Album) and started to listen to Metallica and I probably had all their albums a while.
Then another friend of mine started to nag about that I should listen to System of a Down and after a lot of nagging from him I started to listen to them and they became my favorite band for a while. And down that road it went, starting to listen to more and more bands all the time.

Oh yeah, I was about 11 - 12 when it all started
29.01.2007 - 10:03
Dark Stalker

My way to metal was long and not glorious .I started from Offspring and Ramnestein till i started to listen to Aria . But it is Nightwish that changed my music preferences to metal music . I was 15 years during that time
----
In luck we trust!
29.01.2007 - 12:02
arwestromen

I got into metal on my 7th birthday, my dad bought me Iron maidens beast of the beast. After that day I haven´t listen to any othe musikgenre.:metal:
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
29.01.2007 - 13:23
..HumanError..
Account deleted
Written by Dark Stalker on 29.01.2007 at 10:03

My way to metal was long and not glorious .I started from Offspring and Ramnestein till i started to listen to Aria . But it is Nightwish that changed my music preferences to metal music . I was 15 years during that time

Hehe, i think that beginning with Rammstein is a good way to start listening to good metal, why do you think its not glorious? Im curious
29.01.2007 - 19:24
antichrist666
Account deleted
I started listening to metal in 2006, I was in the library and I already had loved rock so then I saw this cd called " god hates us all" By slayer. Now I cant stop listening to it.IM ADDICTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wall:
29.01.2007 - 20:11
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Dark Stalker on 29.01.2007 at 10:03

I liked Offspring too, they are cool in their own way, just like Rammstein

Written by Guest on 29.01.2007 at 19:24

I started listening to metal in 2006, I was in the library and I already had loved rock so then I saw this cd called " god hates us all" By slayer. Now I cant stop listening to it.IM ADDICTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wall:

Yeah, Slayer can affect on people like tht
----
29.01.2007 - 21:16
Hellish Star

I started to listen in 1981-1982 with Queen (Bohemian Rhapsody) and Deep Purple (Child in time & Smoke on the water). I liked the electric guitars and digged for bands like Iron Maiden, MSG, Krokus, Motorhead,... and so my life became more and more metal. I was lucky to live in the glorious period of NWOBHM with Satan, Iron Maiden, Saxon,... and later on the US thrash metal scène with Metallica, Agent Steel, Slayer, Exodus, Megadeth, Forbidden,... Also in that period there were bands like Mercyful Fate, Venom, Virgin Steele, Jaguar, Trance, Evil, Mad Max, Accept, ....

And look, so many years later I'm still here, alive and kickin'...
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
30.01.2007 - 01:36
..HumanError..
Account deleted
Written by Hellish Star on 29.01.2007 at 21:16

Hehe, and thats great . Lets just hope it goes on that way .

Btw, i think that metal is the higher point you can reach in music, you cant go any further, but you cant go down either. I guess ill listen to metal all my life. And im glad about it.
30.01.2007 - 09:10
Larsson!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 30.01.2007 at 01:36

Btw, i think that metal is the higher point you can reach in music, you cant go any further, but you cant go down either. I guess ill listen to metal all my life. And im glad about it.

Yeah, I agree about that, and I know that I definitely will continue to listen to metal all my life!
30.01.2007 - 11:15
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Guest on 30.01.2007 at 09:10

Written by Guest on 30.01.2007 at 01:36

Yeah, I agree about that, and I know that I definitely will continue to listen to metal all my life!

Well, I am not sure that I will listen metal whole my life, after some years some bands are quite boring to me and I hope it is only period and that I will get into metal more than ever.
----
30.01.2007 - 15:56
Sunioj

Well, I was completely wasted and my friend used to always make fun of me for liking slipknot so he put on Immortal's sons of northern darkness and it just kinda snapped and ever since Ive been obsessed with extreme metal.
30.01.2007 - 16:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
There was a thread like this is the previous version of Metal Storm but apparently not on this version.
I started listening to metal in September 1979 when Kiss (yes, they were called heavy metal back then) had a hit with that disco song of their's I Was Made For Loving You. I really loved that song and especially the bass riff in it so I went out and bought Kiss stuff on pirated cassettes in Singapore (where I lived at the time and pirated cassettes only cost 1 USD) when buying the Kiss tapes the guy in the shop recommended me stuff such as Scorpions, Motorhead, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Judas Priest, and so on. From then on I kept going to that shop to spend my pocket money on all that nice heavy metal. Then in January 1983 I returned to The Netherlands with my parents and some classmates were into some much more underground metal (which we could not get in Singapore) and through them I obtained an original copy of Metallica's No Life Till Leather and copies of Mercyful Fate demos and son on. And those two demos really set me off into the more extreme end of metal and especially the start of the thrash scene in the US at the time.
Well, and I here I still am 27 years and 4 months later.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.01.2007 - 18:44
Hellish Star

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.01.2007 at 16:26

There was a thread like this is the previous version of Metal Storm but apparently not on this version.
I started listening to metal in September 1979 when Kiss (yes, they were called heavy metal back then) had a hit with that disco song of their's I Was Made For Loving You. I really loved that song and especially the bass riff in it so I went out and bought Kiss stuff on pirated cassettes in Singapore (where I lived at the time and pirated cassettes only cost 1 USD) when buying the Kiss tapes the guy in the shop recommended me stuff such as Scorpions, Motorhead, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Judas Priest, and so on. From then on I kept going to that shop to spend my pocket money on all that nice heavy metal. Then in January 1983 I returned to The Netherlands with my parents and some classmates were into some much more underground metal (which we could not get in Singapore) and through them I obtained an original copy of Metallica's No Life Till Leather and copies of Mercyful Fate demos and son on. And those two demos really set me off into the more extreme end of metal and especially the start of the thrash scene in the US at the time.
Well, and I here I still am 27 years and 4 months later.

Man, you're so old, so god damn old....
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
30.01.2007 - 23:32
Erosive Offals
Account deleted
Before high school I hardly had any idea what metal was. It first started back in 8th grade. My parents bought me a guitar for Christmas and I went out and got a "Learn to play guitar with Metallica Riffs" book....hahahaha. Well, I knew how to play plenty of riffs, but still never heard any Metallica songs. At the time, I thought Slipknot were the heaviest band on Earth. My CD player usually had either Slipknot, System of a Down, Staind, Kittie, or other mainstream stuff. Shutupshutupshutup. Then one day I was at a friend's house. We were sitting in his room bullshitting and he puts a Cannibal Corpse CD in his stereo and skips to the song "A Skull Full of Maggots". I was blown away. My first impression was that the music was quite scary. But I still loved it. It was the fastest, most intense thing I had ever heard. Well, I didn't really pursue metal after that, mostly because I didn't know where to get real metal CD's.

9th grade rolled around and I was having a helluva time smoking pot and playing guitar with some 11th graders I became friends with. A friend named Tucker, who I have to thank for getting me into metal and perverting my young innocent mind. The second death metal song I had ever heard in my life was played at high volume in his basement. The song was "Sea of Cartilege" by Aborted. I hate that band and song now by the way. It was this year that I had renounced my faith as a Christian after years of doubt. I'm still going strong today.

Well, by this time I was interested. I had a few CD's, but mostly your Century Media batch of mediocre bands... the first metal CD I ever purchased was "In Defiance of Existence" by Old Man's Child. I thought this was good??? What??? 10th grade came by and I had a little black metal phase, mostly still into the mediocre bands. Then one day, another one of my friends who I'm still friends with now, brought Mental Funeral by Autopsy to the place of toking. Grip of Winter is still one of my absolute favorite songs ever.

Summer after tenth grade, all I did was buy metal CD's...real metal CD's that is. I picked up some Suffocation, some Emperor, some Slayer, just everything.

I'm well into my senior year now and still fanatically pursuing metal albums. I have about 75 CDs in my collection and counting. I keep digging deeper and deeper underground and I've never turned back.

And what happened to Tucker you might ask? Well it turns out metal was just a phase for him. He lives in the ghetto now, he sells drugs for a living, and he listens to nothing but rap. Oh well. He's still a cool guy.