Metal Storm logo
When and How did You start listening to Metal?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 26.01.2007 - 14:44
Well, I've been looking in the forum, but I couldn't find a topic like this one. Now that I finally got my 100 posts, I can create it . (Hope it wont be locked or deleted though).

I'd like to know when you guys have started to like metal. I think it reveals many things about people's personality, as in my opinion, Metal is not a kind of music you can listen to "by chance". I think there is a kind of... evolution, which eventually makes you listen to this music.

Personally, I started being into Metal only 3 years ago, in 2003, (which is kinda late,) thanks to Rammstein, I was about 14, but even then, I was more into Industrial and Rock. Even if I've been raised with a big brother who used to listen to classic Metal bands such as Iron Maiden and Metallica for instance, I've never thought I would regard myself as a "metalhead" one day.

I guess I wasn't mature enough to understand what Metal could really mean. But we all grow up. I've never really had a "happy" life, and I found in Metal things that helped me much. There were feelings I couldn't name, and Metal enabled me to understand more things about my own life and about people in general.
I think I wouldn't have started listening to this kind of music if I wasn't forced to leave the place I had been living in for years, for the second time. That special event, when I had to move and leave everything behind, made me start listening to Metal. And now i know i cant live without it.

Its your turn now , I'd like to know how and when you started listening to Metal. It might be really interesting I think, and I'm sure there is a lot to say .
14.06.2009 - 19:50
Numbskull
I got started with Black Sabbath in 1977. I had older cousins that listened to Sabbath all the time. They exposed me to Sabbath by playing 'We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll' a lot around this time. It was a short time later that I purchased 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' and I've been hooked on metal ever since. Sabbath will always be special to me since it was my first metal band.
SABBATH!
14.06.2009 - 20:14
Nimlot
A. Reader
I've been listening to my father's rock albums since I was five But it wasn't until I was 12 that a friend of my brother's told me to listen to some Manowar, Hammerfall and Blind Guardian. I spent the next year listening only to these three bands after that I found out about Demons and Wizards, Iced Earth, Sonata Arctica and Freedom Call.
14.06.2009 - 21:03
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Nimlot on 14.06.2009 at 20:14

I've been listening to my father's rock albums since I was five But it wasn't until I was 12 that a friend of my brother's told me to listen to some Manowar, Hammerfall and Blind Guardian. I spent the next year listening only to these three bands after that I found out about Demons and Wizards, Iced Earth, Sonata Arctica and Freedom Call.

the funniest thing when you are young in metal and don't know almost anything about it is that you CANNOT imagine how many bands play metal. when i first listened to maiden and disliked them (two years later i tried them again and liked them!!) i though that nobody else would play this "ugly" music!!!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
15.06.2009 - 17:26
Nimlot
A. Reader
Written by Deadmeat on 14.06.2009 at 21:03

Written by Nimlot on 14.06.2009 at 20:14

the funniest thing when you are young in metal and don't know almost anything about it is that you CANNOT imagine how many bands play metal. when i first listened to maiden and disliked them (two years later i tried them again and liked them!!) i though that nobody else would play this "ugly" music!!!

That's so true. And when I first heard Iron Maiden I really didn't like it I couldn't stand Dickinson's voice, but they were going to have a show here two years ago so I gave them another try and I got excited about the concert. And I really like them now
15.06.2009 - 18:13
ironfiststew
Account deleted
I've been listening to brutal death metal since i was 2. but no really, ever since the spice girls died, lost total faith in pop. no choice but to turn to deicide.
16.06.2009 - 06:00
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Mhh.. started really late. Like a year and a half ago started off with Within Temptation when a friend of mine showed me "What have you done" after knowing I liked "Bring Me To Life" by Evanescence. Then at the same time really got into Ride the Lightning by Metallica, especially "The Call Of The Ktulu". 3 months later two of my friends and my ex told me about Nightwish. Then my ex further introduced my to Apocalyptica and To-Mera. I totally loved these kind of music, but started to crave for more and checked out Kamelot, Epica and Avantasia.
Earlier on this year found out about Metal Storm through Wikipedia and realised there's so much the metal world has to offer Now I'm a happy man who has had his horizons broadened a lot (=
----
loves 小巫
16.06.2009 - 12:04
metalhead3
I listened rock and two years ago my friend gave me some cd with metallica and iron maiden and i like it.In this two years I changed all kinds of metal,started with heavy and power.Now I am listening heavy,black,death and rock music
16.06.2009 - 12:54
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
When I was 14 I listened to rock (Nirvana, Oasis, Garbage, Blur...) and The Prodigy. One day a friend showed me Korn's first album and shortly after I discovered Life Is Peachy, I got a copy of it and then of Manson's Smells Like Children. Over the years I've delved into different genres. I grew up in a smallish town were the purchase of metal CD's was a difficult task so it's all about discovering bands fgrom mates. MTV's Superrock also helped me discover a few bands. I've had various periods were I listened to Punk, Hard Rock, Black Metal, Death Metal..but metal has always been a huge factor in my life ever since I heard Jonathan Davis scream "Are you ready".
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
16.06.2009 - 13:03
AbdelioR
I started when I was 16 I think, a friend showed me a Craddle of Filth CD and told me to listen it. Then I started with Children, Stratovarius,Tristania, etc... Then I continued with death, black, viking, etc... Before that I used to listen rap, but since that day... only metal
----
97. Keep your Gore level down for your friends, you're still a social being.
03.07.2009 - 01:06
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
It all started in 5th grade for me - the year was 1983 - when walking thru the local music store I saw the album cover for Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind...
...haven't looked back since
----
rekt
03.07.2009 - 07:40
cortez
Hearing AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" on the radio in 1979 started me on my way. Metallica's "Kill 'Em All" really pushed me into more extreme metal territory a few years later.
----
Sons of vengeance can you rescue me...
03.07.2009 - 20:50
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
It was a normal day, killing my time on the pc, when i wondered how is this famous band Metallica sounds like... I downloaded the first song i found... It was The Unforgiven... It was the legendary start of A NEW ERA..!
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
06.07.2009 - 04:03
L..
I started hear metal after the Nirvana... I'm brazilian and could hear Angra in a nice show ! Therefore I'm love with metal !

----
Viva aquele que se presta a esta ocupação
Salve o compositor popular
Salve o compositor popular.
09.07.2009 - 21:19
Wilkinson
First time I listened to a metal song I was probably about 15. I was in the bus with a friend and we were going to high school and she was like: 'Hey, I've discovered a band, I'm sure you're gonna like it!'. Back then I was more into Celtic stuff (which I still like btw). The band was Nightwish and during months it was the only band I listened. And then I started to explore a huuuge world.. Nightwish, Metallica and Children Of Bodom were, if I remember correctly, the first I really liked.
----
Can you hear the Tales from the Ocean
Submerged cities and haunted wrecks
Can you hear the Tales from Nowhere
The wind will tell you, if you listen

After the Rain.. http://running-after-the-rainbow.blogspot.com
10.07.2009 - 18:10
gwarscumdog
I was about 8 and I was watching Beavis and Butt-head and GWAR came on. That was the first time and then it went to Anthrax to White Zombie.
11.07.2009 - 09:52
Throne Dweller
Until I was about twelve, I was never aware of metal. It saddens me greatly, but my parents never listened to music around and being the eldest on a farm... you get the drift.

Then on one fateful day, of which I don't particularly remember; my cousin gave me two songs. Chop Suey and Deer Dance by SOAD. Instantly, and I mean INSTANTLY I fell in love with Deer Dance. I just thought it was so heavy, and because of that I started looking for the heaviest thing I could find. Which led me to finding Behemoth, and from there spiralled my love for a whole range of music. Like Black metal, I would have never known of it's existence it if weren't for Behemoth's early four.

Anyway, from that started the root of my evil and has continued to sprout into many different genres.

I'm currently listening to a lot of Doom and Atmospheric metal.
11.08.2009 - 20:17
Razorback
I was 12 when i started,older friend showed me couple of bands and i find myself there,some people probably thought it was teen period to bother parents but in the end it was true,of course there is difference because i know a lot of more about metal music then in that period and i take it deeper and appreciate more,now when i am older and experienced,but i grow up with metal and it will always be part of my life,heh probably love on first sight.
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
11.08.2009 - 22:18
Vaterflaumig
I was a freshman in high-school and all I listened to at the time was Linkin Park. Then I started hanging out with some other dudes and they got me into Deftones, Poison the Well, Chimaira, and some Pantera I think. After that I picked up Trivium's Ascendancy and As I Lay Dying's Shadows Are Security and those albums were my first real taste in modern metal. Then I matured some more within the metal genre and moved on to Lamb of God, In Flames, Opeth, Amon Amarth and other swedish stuff. Minus Lamb of God, I pretty much discovered my love for melodic death.
13.08.2009 - 08:08
BenWasHere
When I was about 11 I listened to the radio a lot, like a local high school alternative rock radio station, after school. They usually had different DJs there who would play a bunch of different stuff. What started me off with the screamed vocals was Trivium, As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage, and Job for a Cowboy. Now I hate AILD and Killswitch but that's what got me started. After that I started looking at bands' myspaces which is how I found Opeth, Iced Earth, Strapping Young Lad, etc. I also listened to Itunes Radio which is how I discovered Dream Theater. Now I love almost every form of metal.
System of a Down was a huge influence too. Favorite band of all time probably.
14.08.2009 - 05:14
ZoeH
Account deleted
When I was 14, I started listening to a spanish band called Mago de Oz, who is very famous here, later this year I discovered Kamelot, Sonata Arctica and some other Power Metal bands...
Now I listen other subgenres, but I don't really stop listening Power Metal and any of this bands..
14.08.2009 - 05:49
Crème fraiche
HONESTLY, I was a punk kid at heart in middleschool and highschool. I was all about Rancid, Dropkick Murphys and Screeching Weasel and other punk and pop punk bands. Punk really started to get stale and repetitive after highschool.

Then in summer of 04, a friend sent me a couple Iron Maiden songs and i fell in love! I started downloading and buying all that was metal ever since! I still go back to punk to mix it up every once in a while, but metal has been my love and obsession for the last 5 years!
14.08.2009 - 20:34
CaLu
Account deleted
It was late 90's that I was introduced to metal by a cousin of mine. Not much later I've bought myself Metallica's S&M. As that was the band I first was introduced into. The first bands I've been listening to were Metallica, Korn Within Temptation and Nightwish.
22.10.2009 - 08:40
"Well, I've been looking in the forum, but I couldn't find a topic like this one. Now that I finally got my 100 posts, I can create it . (Hope it wont be locked or deleted though)."

Not using the quote function, but thats from our original post. I'm in that deadlock of <100 posts. Come on, 100? Really?

I was only introduced to music when I was 15 or so. Linkin Park etc etc. The first gig I went to was Korn - nu metal, but still.
Then a friend of mine got me into Tool. Then he lent me a Killswitch Engage album, and I couldn't get enough. In between times I found Iron Maiden, Metallica etc etc.

Still listen to KsE a bit. Well off the LP though...

48! Its a looonnnggg way off yet...
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
22.10.2009 - 12:49
GamlaSonn
I guess my first taste of metal began with nu-metal, but I don't think it was the metal that appealed to me back then.
At some point in high school I started listening to melodic death metal like In Flames, Soilwork and Dark Tranq.
At the end of highschool I was only listening to metal and since then have been expanding my music taste.
24.10.2009 - 21:31
Hanyuchan
My dad introduced me to Rammstein is how i got into metal.
30.10.2009 - 16:56
Umideath
5 years a go by Evanescence & System of a down
----
My Top 90 Metal Albums Of 2023 - Part 2 >> https://youtu.be/6Yi7zV9Xo58 - Part 1
https://youtu.be/8F0E_CAfmMM
31.10.2009 - 02:55
bkrownd
I didn't listen to much music when I was a kid. By junior high I only listened to mix tapes of a small number of random songs by Golden Earring, Alan Parsons Project, Steve Miller Band, Men at Work, Kansas, Pink Floyd etc. About 1984 I saw Dio's "Rainbow in the Dark" video on MTV, and that was probably my first metal song. Somewhere around then I started listening to Def Leppard. My first metal album was Dio's "Last In Line". Then about 1985 I started listening to the Friday Night Midnight Metal Shop on KQRS, and when I heard Metallica's Fight Fire With Fire I was really hooked. So, I was about 15-16 when I got started with metal, and a metalhead through high school and undergrad. Sampled some other things in grad school such as early music and electronica (IDM), but I still primarily listen to metal even though I don't like much of the new stuff over the last 15 years..
02.11.2009 - 21:24
Shipwrecked
Before entering junior high, I was a huge Beatles fan. I guess things started when my grandfather died and I found myself to be generally hated around school and noticed that bands like the Beatles weren't exactly helping anymore. My brother was always listening to this strange music whenever I hung out with him in his room. These dudes with long hair running around playing this loud music was weird to my 11 year old mind at the time. In fact, at first I hated it. It's very ironic to me because I labeled this music as "devil music" and thought only the lowest of people actually liked it. But as I kept hearing it, my opinion began to change. Soon enough, I was getting into bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, and Black Sabbath. Those were definitely the first bands I really liked. I was now always asking my brother if I could borrow his Master of Puppets album or Peace Sells or Number of the Beast almost daily.

Since then, I felt the need to expand my tastes in more subgenres out of curiosity. Nowadays I listen to many different bands from each subgenre and metal earned its place as my favorite type of music out of all I listened to (I also branched out into other music genres along the way) Not sure if words could describe how I feel about it being there over the years. Hah, I don't mean to sound corny at all with that. Basically my evolution wasn't anything extraordinary, somewhat standard.

Sorry I wrote an anthology, but I tried to sum up my experience as much as I could
12.11.2009 - 02:32
jollygreen
Ive been surrounded by hair metal my entire life but I didn't really like it till I got over just listening to classical and random stuff on the radio. When I got Ozzy's The Ultimate Sin and Metallicas Master of Puppets though I fell in love with heavy metal and I was dragged to an underground show and ended up liking all kinds of metal music from then on.
17.11.2009 - 20:42
SerratedSyringe
It's funny how paradigms shift. I got into metal from playing video games and hearing the soundtracks, which contained a lot of metal songs. Now I hardly listen to anything but metal, and I've lost almost all interest in video games.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....