Metal Storm logo
When and How did You start listening to Metal?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 26.01.2007 - 14:44
Well, I've been looking in the forum, but I couldn't find a topic like this one. Now that I finally got my 100 posts, I can create it . (Hope it wont be locked or deleted though).

I'd like to know when you guys have started to like metal. I think it reveals many things about people's personality, as in my opinion, Metal is not a kind of music you can listen to "by chance". I think there is a kind of... evolution, which eventually makes you listen to this music.

Personally, I started being into Metal only 3 years ago, in 2003, (which is kinda late,) thanks to Rammstein, I was about 14, but even then, I was more into Industrial and Rock. Even if I've been raised with a big brother who used to listen to classic Metal bands such as Iron Maiden and Metallica for instance, I've never thought I would regard myself as a "metalhead" one day.

I guess I wasn't mature enough to understand what Metal could really mean. But we all grow up. I've never really had a "happy" life, and I found in Metal things that helped me much. There were feelings I couldn't name, and Metal enabled me to understand more things about my own life and about people in general.
I think I wouldn't have started listening to this kind of music if I wasn't forced to leave the place I had been living in for years, for the second time. That special event, when I had to move and leave everything behind, made me start listening to Metal. And now i know i cant live without it.

Its your turn now , I'd like to know how and when you started listening to Metal. It might be really interesting I think, and I'm sure there is a lot to say .
17.11.2009 - 22:25
Don Martin
le fu-
I was about 8 or 9 years old when my dad took me to the local metalshop, handed a record to me and said "Here, for you. It's Iron Maiden, you'll like it." I ran to the car, almost fell while crossing the street, put it in, skipped to 4 'cause dad said that was the best track, which was Running Free, and magic was created ^^

Now I mostly listen to heavier things but when I see a vinyl copy of some old heavy metal album, I also buy it. For an example I recently bought "KILLERS" together with Decapitated's "WINDS OF CREATION".:)
----
What a tackastrophe!
18.11.2009 - 00:15
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I started listening to metal, from hearing it on the radio during the weekly "UK Top 40" show, or "Top Of The Pops".

I got into rock acts like Def Leppard and Guns N' Roses first, before gradually progressing towards heavier stuff. I remember hearing Megadeth's "Holy Wars..." on the Top 40, and recording it in my little tape recorder. It really intrigued and scared me at the time, as I'd never heard anything that heavy, or evil sounding before. It sounds kinda silly to say it now, but you can probably understand when my only previous experiences in music at that point was teenybopper stuff, and glam rock.

I was just naturally drawn to darker, more sinister sounding music. I found it a great outlet for how I was feeling, and my emotions were definitely in harmony with the music, which I'd never felt before. Once I'd heard metal, it was a guarantee that I'd be a metalhead for life! m/
22.11.2009 - 21:42
Angel Of Mercy
Well, I was about ten/eleven at the time,

And I was pretty fed up with the mainstream, corperate crap we get on music channels/Mtv/Kerrang (gah...)
and a kid I knew said to me "Have you heard of Iron Maiden?", I said "no, what are they like?" he said.
"Awesome they are the best band ever", next day he turned up with a copy of "Powerslave" I turned it up when I got back home,
(to my parents detest, my dad loves it now) and fell in love. I forgot about it, waited a couple of years, got into dragonforce.....
And yeah... That's how it started.

Up The Irons.
----
Your time will come.
02.12.2009 - 14:11
I saw Metallica- Harvester of Sorrow's Live clip when I was eleven or twelve.And at that time I didn't know English,but I was like "wow,this is some crazy shit" I never forget those days.sighhh.
That clip was for my friend's brother,who I guess was a metal fan,then I received a videotape from him,guess what? yeah Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast

that's how it started,now my favorite bands and genres are different
04.12.2009 - 18:25
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
(just to start you don't need 100 post ive made two threads and i have like 65 posts then again maybe its just a glitch)
2006-2007 metallica!
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
05.04.2010 - 19:54
LudaChris86
I first heard Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters" when I was in about 13-14 years old, "Master Of Puppets" When I was 16, and "Number Of The Beast" by Iron Maiden at 17. By then I was hooked. I got really into both Metallica and Iron Maiden, and from there branched out to Dream Theater, then Opeth, then into anything I could find.
10.06.2010 - 15:11
busta5000
Account deleted
Started to listen to metal since 2005

but from 2001 till 2004 I listened to both hardrock & rap

hardrock influenced me to metal

first metal song ever heard

dope - life - Die MF Die

its amazing got the hole album after that got the hole discography after that got introduced to classics like metallica ozzy judas priest blacksabath etc. Then till this day I'm more interested into metalcore like bullet for my valentine, all that remains, as I lay dying.

now I listen to all genres but mostly core I listen to death symphonic gothic doom heavy power progressive etc.
01.07.2010 - 00:04
Gamma_Ray
Started at the beginning of 2009. I was starting to get interested in music thanks to guitar hero and I got an ipod nano for christmas present. I liked the song "One" from Guitar Hero 3, so I listened to the Death Magnetic album by Metallica.
The song One wasn't there and I didn't like it very much the first time I listened to it, not quite how I hade imagined Metallica. However after a some time went byI started to like some songs like "All Nightmare Long" and I loved how heavy they were.
I also listened to Iron Maidens Ed Hunter album and Dance Of Death. Ed Hunter because it had the song Fear Of The Dark, that I listened to a lot when I was young. Dance Of Death because I had heard the song Dance Of Death on my brothers computer and I liked it very much.
Another of my early albums were Gamma Rays No World Order. I had heared the song Lake Of Tears on my brothers computer and I liked it so I listened to that album. Gamma Ray have become my favorite band since then and it opened my love for Power Metal.

So you can say that it was because of Guitar Hero and my brothers music taste that I became a metalhead.
----
Now I'm riding through the air
going to where no one dares
on the way I'll cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
forever to be free
01.07.2010 - 11:03
MetalFist
Account deleted
I began listening to Metal at the end of 2009, just as i had finished year 8. I got introduced to it when i decided i wanted to learn guitar, as i decided to research a lot of famous guitarists (Joe Satriani, Yngwie etc), when i came across Kirk Hammett. I decided to get some of his music (Metallica), and i liked it a lot. Soon i bought a few more of their albums, and some other bands albums from the same genre, so that's how i started listening to Iron Maiden and Slayer. I loved it and before you know it, Ive got plenty of Metal albums from many great bands.

So the real reason i started listening to metal was learning an instrument (Guitar), and getting interested in the different styles of music that it could produce.
01.07.2010 - 11:45
vezzy
Stallmanite
My venture into metal had humble beginnings with AC/DC, which I barely listened to or any music in general. Four years later, I had to download music for a school party, so I went to CNet Music and decided to click on the "Metal" section and started exploring death metal. Got plenty of underground songs and later moved on to Cradle of Filth and then other bands.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
12.07.2010 - 21:48
CzirjakMan
Befor metal, i just listened to all kinds of classic rock, 60s-late 80s. hair metal bands were my favorite- bon jovi, van halen, def leppard, ratt, but i got tired of hearing the same songs all the time, i wanted to "grow" musically. im not sure exactly how it happened, but i got into iron maiden and black sabbath when i was 12, and it only grew from there. once i knew all their songs, i discovered more and more great bands. the bands gradually got heavier and heavier, faster and faster. my favorite bands were pretty much all the extremely popular ones- classics and newer alike, and expanded deeper into metal from there
13.07.2010 - 21:43
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
I think I've told this story here before, but it was quite a few years ago:
It's autumn of 1984, and my and my bro get our first tape recorder from our mum. I'm 11, my bro is 13. We got 1 empty cassette along with the recorder. So we turn on the radio, find a station and start recording songs. The first song is The Bee Gees (I'm serious!), and then the guy on the radio says: and now the new exciting band from Denmark, Metallica! And he plays "Creeping Death". The rest is history - 26 years and a few thousand albums later I still listen to the same shit. Wish you all guys the same!
19.07.2010 - 05:40
Perseverence
Account deleted
Mommy (Iron Maiden, Queensryche) and Uncle (Linkin Park, Korn, Metallica)
06.08.2010 - 18:07
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Seems everybody listened to hard-rock and then progressed over.
to make my earlier post better- i first started listening to AC/DC that was all i listened to, then i listened to Metallica, and a friend told me hey Megadeth is the greatest thing ever, so one day i bought Megadeths "Back To The Start" compilation and its all downhill from there... but i used that megadeth cd for a music project and left it a skool!!! NOOOOOO!
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
06.08.2010 - 21:12
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
I used to listen to pop music for most of my childhood (Backstreet Boys, Aaron Carter, ect.) after being introduced to them by my cousins.
Then one day I was surfing the web, more specifically Youtube, when I wandered onto a video of Highway to Hell by AC/DC.
(Man, if Metal was a drug, AC/DC would be the gateway drug.)
I was awestruck by it so I looked up vids similar to it and found Iron Man by Black Sabbath. I was so preoccupied with it, I didn't even care about the fact that my sister and her friends were playing Spin the Bottle in the same room.
I completley lost taste for pop music right then and there, and I just dove into the Metal world. It wasn't really hard either. My dad owned a bunch of Megadeth CDs (Peace Sells, Rust In Peace, and Countdown to Extinction), Diary of a Madman by Ozzy Osbourne, Van Halen's first album, and Metallica's Ride the Lightning. My sis also gave me her Skid Row CD's, Self-titled and Slave to the Grind.
Eventually I ended up playing a game called Brutal Legend that helped me discover everything else.
06.08.2010 - 22:18
F0rang3l
I started listening to Metal when I was 1 year old and my mom put Master of puppets in the cassette player on my birthday. (No kidding I have it on video)
----
For there is a purpose and reason
Beyond all human apprehension
The shrieking silence in the blackness of space
07.08.2010 - 12:28
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by F0rang3l on 06.08.2010 at 22:18

I started listening to Metal when I was 1 year old and my mom put Master of puppets in the cassette player on my birthday. (No kidding I have it on video)

Good parenting.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
07.08.2010 - 13:01
F0rang3l
Written by vezzy on 07.08.2010 at 12:28

Written by F0rang3l on 06.08.2010 at 22:18

Good parenting.

The Best.
----
For there is a purpose and reason
Beyond all human apprehension
The shrieking silence in the blackness of space
07.08.2010 - 15:20
Sangre Sani
I started when I was about 3-4 years old when my brother and sister listened to metal and they "infected" me with this music. Mostly thrash metal. I have a video cassette too and I sing there as a kid some songs of one of polish thrash metal legends.
07.08.2010 - 18:15
survine
I actually grew up around it, i have a brother 16 years older than me and a sister who is 11 years older who are both MASSIVE old school metal heads. I got into the Death Metal side of it when I first heard None so Vile, that album ripped my face off and I have been hooked since then, which was around 98 i think.
13.08.2010 - 11:54
Perseverance
Account deleted
When I started wanting everyone to die!
13.08.2010 - 12:11
FOOCK Nam
Written by Guest on 13.08.2010 at 11:54

When I started wanting everyone to die!

Better then my thing

When I felt dislking ppl who were around me. If how ? by a school mate, he is extremely eogtistic on metal and rock.
07.11.2010 - 15:54
SteelWolf
I started listening to it about 2 years ago when a mate of mine was playing nightwish, i thought it was pretty awesome then his older brother gave me some power metal and from then on i was hooked
04.02.2011 - 13:58
Night Sight
Classic rock bands like ac/dc,kis,guns n roses,poison.metallica etc
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
05.02.2011 - 18:24
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Guest on 26.01.2007 at 14:44

I'd like to know when you guys have started to like metal. I think it reveals many things about people's personality, as in my opinion, Metal is not a kind of music you can listen to "by chance". I think there is a kind of... evolution, which eventually makes you listen to this music.

I personnally got into metal "by chance". I wasn't interested in music at all before that fateful day when I was 18 and my bro made me hear Cradle Of Filth. I instantly loved it. Weird, eh? As a child, I couldn't stand Metallica, because it was too heavy for me... It's like the only music genre that could interest me was the most brutal stuff. From that point, I explored music and eventually got interested into Classic music, World music, Folk, etc. Exactly the inverse of what one would expect.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
18.04.2011 - 07:54
Balthazine
Well... I could easily say that Metallica and Black Sabbath were the first metal bands I listened to. However, I did not fully get into metal until my early teens when I heard the Danish Thrash metal band, Artillery, whom I found totally by accident while looking up another band of the same name (that changed their name because of the original Danish Artillery)

Once I heard Artillery's music, I fell in love, and wanted more. Years later, and now I've become a huge metal enthusiast, writing articles on metal for a job, interviewing metal bands, having a collection of 1000+ metal bands of every genre you can think of...

and it's all thanks to Artillery.
----
Sometimes in metal they have called me:
The Minneapolis Metal Music Examiner -I write articles on metal in the MN area for Examiner.com
The Metal Detector -A history of digging up old forgotten metal bands
Thrash Master -Famous for my Walls O' Thrash
18.04.2011 - 08:01
chimx
I started listening to terrible punk rock in high school like nofx and such. Someone introduced me to Crass and I started getting more into the more obscure genres of punk: peace punk, crust, d-beat, grindcore. Later I went through a shitty hardcore phase thanks to Earth Crisis, but that finally synthesized into a love of metal. Now I mainly listen to doom, sludge, and funeral. Or to illustrate with bands:

nofx -> crass -> his hero is gone -> phobia -> earth crisis -> metal
19.04.2011 - 03:53
Andre
That's a way to go Chimx,
Mine was very un-logical and random:

metallica --> guns n roses --> aerosmith --> scorpions --> chuck berry --> elvis --> ac dc --> children of bodom lol --> to this date now
19.04.2011 - 09:49
WickedBuddhi
Got my first real six string, bought it at the five and dime. Played it till my fingers bled, it was the the summer of 69.
19.04.2011 - 13:49
Sophist
Linkin Park -> Iron Maiden -> Metallica -> Then it branches into all genres -> Industrial and Black mostly