Release date: April 2014

01. Plague Beasts
02. White Inverted Void
03. Translucent Body Deformities
04. Chaos Magician Of The Abyss
05. Ash666ura
06. Into Celestial Hell
07. Altering Forever

As some of you know, I'm a shameless "Mories" fanboy. I always end up having huge expectations for all his new releases and the latest Cloak Of Altering was not an exception. The previous album, Ancient Paths Through Timeless Voids, as well as the NONE EP were turning points for this project as it showed a different side of Mories' works in which electronic elements where heavily used. It seems like Cloak Of Altering got a solid identity and could easily be separated from the rest of his projects. So how does Plague Beasts compare? Is it better or worse? Nah, it's just a bit different.

Cloak Of Altering started as an unusually melodic project by a guy whose main characteristic is being noisy and chaotic as all hell. With new releases, the electronic touches began to appear. Showing a more accessible and mellow vibe (for Mories that is) but keeping a few bursts of dissonant madness here and there. Plague Beasts acts as an obvious step as more electronic and industrial influences are thrown into the mix. This makes it more balanced in terms of combining black metal and electronics. Is it more accessible because of that? Hell no. This is in fact Cloak Of Altering's most oppressive album. It's a colossal mechanical beast.

Right from the start, a change has been noticed. The tempos are more insane than what was displayed on the previous album. The beats are out of control and faster paces dominate this time. Only the melodic synths in the background serve as a last resort in order to stay afloat during the waves of chaos. The vocals remained in classic Mories fashion with high-pitched shrieks combined with disturbingly deep growls.

Another notable change is the production. Plague Beasts has a far more muddy sound and it's more bass-oriented. To be honest, I'd prefer the production to be just a little bit brighter as it'd make some of the hidden melodies more palpable.

On a more personal note, I'm far from disappointed, yet it probably stands as my least favorite Mories work under the Cloak Of Altering name. It's an extremely satisfying listening but it simply doesn't leave me in awe as I'm used to be from his work. But please, don't let this silly nitpicking fool you; Plague Beasts remains one of the highlights of this year in terms of black metal's more out-there projects. Embrace the chaos !!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written on 03.06.2014 by A lazy reviewer but he is so cute you'd forgive him for it.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 41   Visited by: 206 users
08.06.2014 - 13:26
Rating: 8
mz
Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.06.2014 at 13:18

Depends of the person. I for one disagree with this completely. It doesn't really represents all the aspects of Mories' music. I'd say Gnaw Their Tongues is his more rounded up project covering most of the bases his other projects specialize in.

That was half serious to be honest.
But, I think some people who like GTT might not be a fan of aderlatint
I turned two of my friends into GTT using aderlating as starting point. They are not able to listen to aderlating on regular basis (or the GTT itself for that matter) but they said that once their virginity was blown away by the aderlating, it was easier to sit for GTT. My point is that if someone likes aderlating, (s)he will probably like GTT,DMV, CoA and MS.
Agreed that GTT is the best representative of him, and the core of his musical efforts, though. My
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
08.06.2014 - 13:39
Rating: 6
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.06.2014 at 13:13

Heh I was actually about to quote you and ask you if you heard it.
Well I'm glad you could appreacite it. He does have many different projects as you know already so yeah. Don't give up on the dude. Also, not even this project. Check out the previous Cloak Of Altering album as I consider it more balanced. The NONE EP is also great as it goes more in the electronic side of things rather than being too brutal.
The 2011 album, The Night Comes Illuminated With Death. Is also very different since the project didn't really have a solid identity so to speak. It has many symphonic influences together with the dissonance. Thanks for checking it out!

Glad to see I am the object of your thoughts Rod, I think about you in my sleep too.
Yeah, "appreciate" is the word. I can totally understand what's going on and why you're all having boners for this guy. But I didn't like this. I'll start with the EP, less time consuming, more electronics, that suits me.
Also, I really understood this week that I have much less tolerance for this kind of music, than I had before. After about 25 minutes everything turns into a blur and pisses the hell out of me. So I will only listen to stuff in two or three sittings, otherwise I might not want to give difficult albums like these a second chance. Which I know they deserve, I can hear it.
I'll try The Night Comes Illuminated With Death. Symphonic means so many different things I don't know if I have to be excited or not. If it's CoF "symphonic", no thank you haha.
08.06.2014 - 13:47
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Ilham on 08.06.2014 at 13:39
I'll try The Night Comes Illuminated With Death. Symphonic means so many different things I don't know if I have to be excited or not. If it's CoF "symphonic", no thank you haha.

We can say that it uses a lot of synths in a very melodic manner. I dunno why I end up using the word symphonic though.
I remember Der wrote in his review the word "royal". It does suit the main atmosphere it evokes.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.06.2014 - 13:59
mz
Written by Ilham on 08.06.2014 at 13:39

...Also, I really understood this week that I have much less tolerance for this kind of music...

Maybe it is just this week
----
08.06.2014 - 14:02
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by mz on 08.06.2014 at 13:59

Maybe it is just this week

Haha. Nice try, but no . I get my period twice a year. I'm a broken clock.
08.06.2014 - 14:04
mz
Written by Ilham on 08.06.2014 at 14:02

Haha. Nice try, but no . I get my period twice a year. I'm a broken clock.

what an odd creature you are .
----
08.06.2014 - 14:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 08.06.2014 at 14:04

Until you learn to like TRoB you'll still be the oddest creature in the village.
08.06.2014 - 14:11
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by mz on 08.06.2014 at 14:04

Eeeeh not at all really, I'm like every other girl, I just need cake in my life and I'm happy. But because of my shit genes, I do get to have cake, so I turned to BM.
08.06.2014 - 14:24
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Ok, bunch of freaks. Let's that one be the last station of the offtopic-train.

The last track might be my favorite. I dunno. The electronic interlude in the middle is really nice. Although the crazy and fast keyboards in White Inverted Void are pretty brilliant as well.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.06.2014 - 14:31
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by mz on 06.06.2014 at 00:32

Since he did not answer this, I'm going to say No. You probably would not like it. It's chaotic and intense, with a lot of weird electronic touches.
But anyway, give it a chance, it will take you just 5 minutes to see if you dig it.

Thanks for the honest opinion. I'd rather talk to friends about metal rather than waste time digging around the internet for samples, crystal clear youtube vids, etc.
----
rekt
08.06.2014 - 14:32
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.06.2014 at 18:35

Let's put it this way: Listen to this song (good headphones a must tbh). If you like what you hear: Feel free to go nuts with this project.

I will try to get the listen in with headphones sometime today. Stay tuned....and thanks!
----
rekt

Hits total: 4718 | This month: 21