01. Mora & Kasida
02. Crustwerk
03. Zapre Cebrecelasie
04. Like A Virgin
05. Voidvoid
06. I Kori & I Stamna
07. It Writhes
08. CheLemmy

So guys, these Greeks are Fullmoon Bongzai and apparently they play some sort of electronic black metal.

Let's start by describing what you hear on this release: The production is terrible. Static noise. Raw. Kvlt. Sounds like I bought a two-dollar microphone on the corner and used it to record an old radio playing a tape and then saved onto the computer. Then there are the instruments. The band said something about them on their blog: "Fullmoon Bongzai is a recursive experiment regarding typical black metal mood with atypical musical instruments.", "The keyword is noise.", "No actual vocals were used". These quotes sum up about what you might expect when hearing this album. There is no guitar, which implies that there's no tremolo picking, which makes us wonder if this is even black metal at all. Plus, the drums are also artificial and they are meant to sound artificial.

Everyone who hears this must realize that there are no drums at all at the first glance. They are played in a way that reminds us of breakcore instead of black metal; and remind a lot. Breakcore drums, noise as keyboards, plus some very high pitched industrial sounds coming out of nowhere, which I didn't have much success on identifying what exactly it was. If I'm not convinced that there is not really much black metal, it makes me wonder if it's even metal at all.

Ok, so until now you know that this is odd and poorly produced stuff, and it is questionable if it belongs to the almighty metal genre. Does it mean it's bad? Not at all; even though I'm not entirely sure what the hell it is.

Perhaps those who play a minute or so of a random song on YouTube are bound to give up, but when you really take the time to sit and listen through the whole thing, you will notice that this is solid. Solid and serious stuff. It's not a joke band and it's not even meant to be, and feeling wise, there's actually some kind of psychedelic vibe to it.

The noises that I said which are high pitched and unidentifiable add a lot to the atmosphere. Even though there is no guitar, the drums and the regular noises are done in such a memorable way that makes you willing to listen to some more of it, it makes you miss the track once it's gone. It's like the analogous to the memorable second wave black metal riffs, except that they are made on other instruments. And not to mention the originality. Who thought you could use vocal samples from somewhere else, paste them onto an entirely digital made song, and still keep up the grim mood of the black metal roots?

For the ones who can take some boundary pushing experimentalism on their black metal, as well as fans of industrial black, Is All That You Deserve is totally recommended. And now I'm back to listen to it again, because those drums won't get out of my head.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 10
Production: 8

Written by Karlabos | 05.06.2014

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 41 users
06.06.2014 - 00:51
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
You bastard, I wanted to review this one!

Well, I suppose you beat me to it. Great review, describes the album and the band's vision pretty well. I really dig these guys a lot, the first album is fantastic as well.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
06.06.2014 - 00:55
mz

I once heard this album and did not like it that much. Will go for it again based on the review.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
06.06.2014 - 01:03
Rating: 8
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Auntie Sahar on 06.06.2014 at 00:51

Well, I suppose you beat me to it. Great review, describes the album and the band's vision pretty well. I really dig these guys a lot, the first album is fantastic as well.

Thanks.
Yeah the first album was good too, but for me this is even better.
I think it's one of those rare cases where the band progresses with time instead of deteriorating
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
06.06.2014 - 01:11
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Karlabos on 06.06.2014 at 01:03

I think it's one of those rare cases where the band progresses with time instead of deteriorating

Well that's why I really wanna hear their next album, third albums are usually the "make it or break it" point for bands. First one was really trippy and techno as fuck, then this one is a lot more dirty and has a heavier BM influence. So they've shown that they can be both really bizarre and dreamy and really harsh as well, that's why I'm curious to see where they go next with the sound.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
06.06.2014 - 22:38
Erik M.

Written by Auntie Sahar on 06.06.2014 at 00:51

Lol, when I saw that title I immediately assumed you reviewed this one.
06.06.2014 - 23:58
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Erik M. on 06.06.2014 at 22:38

Lol, when I saw that title I immediately assumed you reviewed this one.

I actually have been wanting to do some non front page reviews lately of some more obscure bands and albums. Really wanna do Damascus Steel, keep an eye out for that one
----

~ II. VII

Hits total: 1803 | This month: 3