04. Ego Universalis
05. À La Nuit Tombante
06. An Autumn Serenade
07. Ocean, Mountain's Mirror
08. The Descent Into Hades
09. Procella Vadens
10. ...Wenn Der Sturm Beginnt

"Follow me? into the night, walk the path of mystery?"

The gentle crashing of waves, subtle behind a sad piano, rolling through your speakers, carrying you away, far away, to a world where you can only see in black and white; and everything is beautiful and sad. You drift, and drift, and then the riffs begin, cold and sharp and raw, accompanied by high, mournful wails and interrupted by the occasional acoustic interlude. It is a somber journey, even melancholic, and it's a landscape frigid and harsh, but at the same time strangely beautiful.

Procella Vadens is the third full-length album by German duo Imperium Dekadenz, and you can tell exactly what you'll be hearing by looking at the album cover. Black metal, lots of atmosphere, dirty production and little experimentation.

To me, the most striking aspect of the music is the atmosphere. Acoustics and keyboards, most of which sound like a grand piano, even some operatic singing, break up the music and give the album a solemn, thoughtful air. Although, the meat of the album is more traditional black metal with fast, heavily distorted tremolos that sound cold as ice and make up most of the guitar work. The riffs are fairly simple, but produce melodies that are very easy to get lost in. The vocals are predominantly moderately high pitched, harsh, but intelligible wails without too much variety, though they fit with the other instrumentation perfectly and never get boring. Not much emphasis is placed on the drum work, but it is clearly audible and seems well performed and precise.

The keyboards/piano parts of the album and its guitar work very rarely overlap, which may seem odd for an atmospheric album. But the melodies of the riffs and Horaz's vocals build their own beauty; spinning off of the air created by the acoustics and keyboards and strengthening it without relying on a constant backdrop of synthesizers and choirs to maintain the ambience like many other albums.

Overall, Imperium Dekadenz has produced another very solid work, with a rich atmosphere that is difficult to grow bored of. However, there is nothing innovative here, and while the entire album is very strong, nothing is exceptional enough to place it at the level of other atmospheric masterpieces like Summoning's Oath Bound and Agalloch's The Mantle.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Jericho Rehling | 06.06.2014

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
KwonVerge
Rating:
Dämmerung Der Szenarien was a pretty strong album by the Deutsch black metal act Imperium Dekadenz, three years later the band returns with a release worthy of its predecessor, Procella Vadens. Once again, the cover artwork captivates the listener and gives a very good first impression and an idea of what will follow, black metal drowned in grey rivers of melancholy and menacing narrow lanes.

Read more ››
published 12.10.2010 | Comments (10)

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 25 users
06.06.2014 - 11:36
Rating: 9
Sunioj

A Million Moons is one of the best songs I've ever heard.
11.06.2014 - 04:21
Rating: 8
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Sunioj on 06.06.2014 at 11:36
A Million Moons is one of the best songs I've ever heard.

That and Lacrimae Mundi both had me thinking this album was a lot better than it really was for a while. Now they're pretty much the only two songs on the album that I still listen to.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.06.2014 - 13:35
Rating: 9
Sunioj

Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.06.2014 at 04:21

That and Lacrimae Mundi both had me thinking this album was a lot better than it really was for a while. Now they're pretty much the only two songs on the album that I still listen to.

I can see that, when I think of this album my attention almost immediately goes to those two songs.

Hits total: 1892 | This month: 6