Metal Storm logo
Breakcore

07.06.2014 - 16:45
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
So there's still no breakcore topic on this forum? What a blasphemy

Let's use this topic to discuss this awesome genre.
Post band links you find that are good, and let's not forget the subgenres such as reggaecore, noisecore, lolicore, metalcore (oops not this one), etc
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
07.06.2014 - 16:57
Uldreth

Written by Karlabos on 07.06.2014 at 16:45

noisecore

There is an electronic genre by this name as well? o.O

Cause for me that is a subgenre of metalcore.
07.06.2014 - 17:05
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Uldreth on 07.06.2014 at 16:57

Written by Karlabos on 07.06.2014 at 16:45

noisecore

There is an electronic genre by this name as well? o.O

Cause for me that is a subgenre of metalcore.

Well, apparently it is
But I guess it's a bit 'unused' due to the ambiguity
----
- Reimu Hakurei
20.07.2014 - 05:13
Ilham
Giant robot
Hey Karla. You have a nice little thread going on here. Very active. Just like your witchouse thread I should go an revive as well.

Throw some of your breakcore recommendations at me. I recently just started really listening to what this genre has to give. I don't know if it fits the tag really, as I am not familiar with enough artists, but Techno Animal (that's maybe more dub really), The Blood Of Heroes, and Scorn are what I listened to the most. And I've barely tried out stuff like Bong-Ra and Drumcorps. Enlighten me.
20.07.2014 - 13:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Well Venetian Snares and Igorrr are the ones that jump instantly to mind. Venetian Snares cover so many styles it would be hard to paint an accurate picture of his stuff here.

My fave album of his anyway, even though it's not considered his best ('Rossz csillag alatt született' which is considered his best but I always found quite boring).

Xanopticon are an interesting one. One of the most intense and pure breakcore bands I've heard. Might even better be described as glitchcore really.

Alec Empire always deserve some love too.

As do Datach'i. (and someone used Angel's Egg as the video for this which is always double badass).

On the other end of the spectrum you have stuff like The Flashbulb who are more chilled and jazzy. Really nice band.

Frog Pocket also have some really cool atmospheric breakcore too.

And then you have grind / breakcore stuff of Drumcorps and WHOURKR.

U-Ziq are also great but not sure they really fall under the breakcore tag.
20.07.2014 - 14:37
Ilham
Giant robot
Crap. It's like homework with you haha. I still haven't heard a Venetian Snares album that went a lot into breakcore. Maybe I never chose the right ones. I started listening to that one and it's okay for now. I tried a few Drumcorps tracks before, I still have to listen to a full album. It's the first time I see WHOURKR named in this context, now that I think of it, they do have a nice amount of breakcore, I guess I just never thought of calling them something else than cybergring. Alec Empire gets on my nerves after a while. Other than all these, those recommendations are very welcome, thank you, I will try them all.
20.07.2014 - 15:45
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Nice, JOOE. There's some cool stuff I didn't know among those.

Well, Ilham, you did ask for my recs, so...
Newer Goreshit is one of my favorites among atmospheric breakcore. Very trippy stuff

Servants of the Apocalyptic Goatrave has also some cool tracks

However when it comes to breakcore, my animefan side often directs me to some more upbeat stuff like

Bloody Vomit Bukakke

... Or Akamushi
----
- Reimu Hakurei
31.07.2014 - 01:40
Ilham
Giant robot
Okay Karlito. I liked the two first links you posted. Goreshit really intrigues me, I'll get more of it really soon. I seriously don't know if I want to listen to the stuff with anime, but I'll give it a try after Joe's stuff.
31.07.2014 - 01:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I used to think everything Karly posted with the anime stuff would be awful, but after enough of his suggestions I took a risk and sometimes it turns out to be some pretty solid stuff.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
31.07.2014 - 02:00
Ilham
Giant robot
Well. I mean if I regard Troy's advice as more valuable than yours Karla, there's a big problem. But I went ahead and listened. I'm not fond of the Japanese folk underneath, but it's actually a cool track that first one. If they don't have that stuff in everything they do I might listen to a whole album, if you care to give me a name.
I absolutely hated the second one though. Haha. Sorry.
31.07.2014 - 02:06
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Ilham on 31.07.2014 at 02:00

Well. I mean if I regard Troy's advice as more valuable than yours Karla, there's a big problem. But I went ahead and listened. I'm not fond of the Japanese folk underneath, but it's actually a cool track that first one. If they don't have that stuff in everything they do I might listen to a whole album, if you care to give me a name.
I absolutely hated the second one though. Haha. Sorry.

Hehe. With Bloody Vomit Bukakke on every album you can expect both very bad and very good tracks. What I did is catch some songs from youtube I liked and then made my own collection.
Also if you like that Goreshit track keep in mind that they only started as atmospheric breakcore on the albums that came up after 2011, I guess. Before that they used to sound like Akamushi, which you didn't like.
----
- Reimu Hakurei
31.07.2014 - 02:12
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Karlabos on 31.07.2014 at 02:06

Hehe. With Bloody Vomit Bukakke on every album you can expect both very bad and very good tracks. What I did is catch some songs from youtube I liked and then made my own collection.
Also if you like that Goreshit track keep in mind that they only started as atmospheric breakcore on the albums that came up after 2011, I guess. Before that they used to sound like Akamushi, which you didn't like.

Okay thanks.
Maybe I should specify I hated that one because of the "vocals". That stuff makes me go nuh-uh like almost instantly.
01.08.2014 - 22:09
Ilham
Giant robot
Okay Karlitinho, time to give something in return.
Maybe you know about this guy already. Enduser. He goes from doing dark-ish stuff like this to doing chill boring songs with ethnic female vocals. So just look for good tracks like these:

There's also this Aaron Spectre guy that goes a little more in the raggacore/jungle stuff. Try the early releases, as he went full borebient in his latest:

About Goreshit, you lied! There are those annoying super high-pitched staccato anime vocals everywhere in an album that was released in 2013. Ministry Of Shit It was. Betrayal. I am going to have trust issues from now on. Shall I try the album called "end."?

And, about Venetian Snares. I think I tried like five albums by the guy now, he has so many out, it's a nightmare. But NONE of them were breakcore. I mean even the Bong-Ra/Venetian Snares album was nothing but that. It's not even as if I liked those albums. I am giving that shit up.

Drumcorps is really too much for me, I finished an album last week, and I am still afraid of going back to it to form a better a opinion.
01.08.2014 - 22:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
If you don't think Venetian Snares are breakcore then I'm not sure you know what breakcore is =P
01.08.2014 - 22:41
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 01.08.2014 at 22:39

If you don't think Venetian Snares aren't breakcore then I'm not sure you know what breakcore is =P

I'm not saying it isn't. I just keep stumbling upon ambient stuff.
01.08.2014 - 22:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Forgive my horrible double negative sentence which you got to before I corrected it.

By ambient I guess you mean the Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding? To me that's still breakcore. The broken beats and insanely off beat time signatures are what make it so. That's something that's been present on all the releases I've heard. He just has a habit of mixing it up with ragga, jungle, hardcore, classical and so on.
01.08.2014 - 22:57
Ilham
Giant robot
Yeah it was an ugly sentence .

Yes, that one, the Bong-Ra remixes, and a couple others I just started, didn't finish, and deleted to make room for something else. One of those was My Downfall, I'm sure. The rest I am too lazy to check. Each time, there was either too little breakcore, or it just was mixed with stuff that either bores me or gets on my nerves. I can't take weird song structures for too long.

Edit: I don't have a problem with ragga, jungle and etc by the way.
01.08.2014 - 23:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I don't really anything about jungle and that outside of a few breakcore and drum n bass artists =p
02.08.2014 - 01:38
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Ilham on 01.08.2014 at 22:09

About Goreshit, you lied! There are those annoying super high-pitched staccato anime vocals everywhere in an album that was released in 2013. Ministry Of Shit It was. Betrayal. I am going to have trust issues from now on. Shall I try the album called "end."?

Oh, sorry. I haven't heard that one.
I assumed they changed their style after 2011 because "semantic compositions about death and its meaning" was released on 11, and it already was instrumental atmospheric breakcore. Very good album btw. It seems they still do some anime related stuff then...

The album "end." should be ok. It's instrumental as well. "rituals" is also pretty good. You probably already are streaming from their bandcamp page, but in case not, it's easier to listen there I guess.

Aaron Spectre sure is intriguing. Gonna check more of their stuff.
And no, I didn't know Enduser. It's good, but at least on the tracks you posted there are some parts where it's 'too ambient' =P
----
- Reimu Hakurei
02.08.2014 - 01:55
Ilham
Giant robot
Yeah Joe, I'm no expert in that stuff either really, I just happen to have two friends that were heavily into that stuff and always blasted it during parties.

It's O.K. Karla, I forgive you.

Okay, "end." will be listened to soon.

You really like your stuff to be on amphetamines don't you? Maybe Enduser is not really for you, because that album Pushing Back has many ambient songs. I wouldn't be able to tell if you'll like that other album I listened to, "Calling The Vultures", it's a lot more hip-hop oriented and I don't know if you're into that.

Tell me if you find some good stuff from Aaron Spectre, I only listened to two of his early EPs, and the beginning of his latest full length - which I didn't like.
04.10.2021 - 16:58
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
New Sewerslvt track.

These days it's probably my favorite atmospheric breakcore band
----
- Reimu Hakurei
09.10.2021 - 08:46
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by Ilham on 02.08.2014 at 01:55

Yo what the hell, coronavirus meme from 2014
09.10.2021 - 14:28
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Ilham predicted everything
----
- Reimu Hakurei
05.11.2021 - 19:37
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Sewerslut probably took the spot of my favorite breakcore band of all time, judging by how much I carve those trippy tracks:
----
- Reimu Hakurei
09.01.2022 - 00:14
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Wow, I'm ashamed that I didn't find this earlier

A mashup album of Seweslvt and Death Grip tracks!? It sounds... heavenly
You really can't tell how big the grin on my face is now

----
- Reimu Hakurei