02. Your Worst Enemy
03. The Fear Within
04. Honor The Rise And Fall
05. Superkillafragsadisticactsaresoatrocious
06. Silence In The House Of The Lord
07. World Funeral
08. Dawn Of The New Centurion
09. Consolation For The Insane

Just like their debut Heroes Of Origin, Hatriot's Dawn Of The New Centurion has Exodus's Tempo Of The Damned written all over it - same sound, different band. It might be no surprise, then, to hear the legendary Steve "Zetro" Souza belting out these driving, unrelenting songs in his cutting, gravelly whine. The obvious similarity is a double-edged sword, as Hatriot can be either a welcome extra dose of Tempo or a mere copycat, depending on your inclination.

Hatriot's music often echoes the sounds of Zetro's past life - ironic, as lead guitarist Kosta Varvatakis (not Zetro) writes all the music, but at the same time perhaps perfectly reasonable to expect. The non-Zetro part of Hatriot consists of a much younger cadre of players, all of whom probably grew up listening to Exodus. Testament influence shines through on occasion as well, particularly on "Silence In The House Of The Lord." Though they aren't affiliated with Zetro, it sounds as though Overkill have had a hand in this (though maybe inasmuch as I find Tempo Of The Damned very similar, but less catchy and more thrashy).

"Superkillafragsadisticactsaresoatrocious" (which I'm only going to type out once) might be one hell of a ridiculous mouthful, but it fades out to a chorus of "Free Pussy Riot," so it isn't entirely nonsensical. In fact, lyrically, Dawn Of The New Centurion is a pretty serious indictment of violence and injustice in the modern world. Zetro's anger translates well into these vicious sonic assaults, and his familiar voice melds with the youthful aggression and intensity of a younger generation of thrashers. While Dawn Of The New Centurion might be slightly less ambitious than Heroes Of Origin, it still holds some powerful songs. "The Fear Within" is a chilling, haunting tale of desperation, and "Honor In The Rise And Fall" and "Your Worst Enemy" are both fantastic thrashers.

Dawn Of The New Centurion delivers the same crushing thrash that Hatriot did so well on Heroes Of Origin, which itself is basically the same thing Exodus did with Zetro in the olden days. Of course, with his newly-announced return to Exodus, Zetro might well be doing this stuff with two bands concurrently, but it is good to know that he has another place to explore this great sound.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 10.06.2014 by I'm the reviewer, and that means my opinion is correct.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 122 users
10.06.2014 - 17:40
Coolingsrock

Sounds promising
10.06.2014 - 20:16
Lit.
Account deleted
Sounded like a rubbish rip-off of Bonded By Blood to me, albeit with better vocals. Probably go 3.5 full points lower.

Glad at least Zetro is back with Exodus, where he might actually be able to do some good work.
10.06.2014 - 23:33
DelightfulJim

Hat...riot?
10.06.2014 - 23:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by DelightfulJim on 10.06.2014 at 23:33

Hat...riot?

In my head that is what this band is called. Always will be.
11.06.2014 - 14:39
Rating: 5
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Guest on 10.06.2014 at 20:16

Sounded like a rubbish rip-off of Bonded By Blood to me, albeit with better vocals.

More of less what I think. A huge disappointment,.
16.06.2014 - 23:40
Rating: 7
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I think their debut (yes, that one with the awful Manowar-esque "artwork"), was stronger than this one, but then again, to each his own, maybe I didn't give this one a proper chance.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
17.06.2014 - 02:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by deadone on 17.06.2014 at 02:08

Didn't like it at all. More mindless modern Thrash with no soul. The only thing I found interesting was some of the guitar leads.

Modern thrash? Pure unadultered Bay Area Thrash this is. Way better than anything Exodus ever released after Souza left/got kicked out.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.06.2014 - 03:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Zetro best work was still with Testament when they were called Legacy and that is still Testament/Legacy's best work by miles and miles.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.06.2014 - 03:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by deadone on 17.06.2014 at 03:33

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.06.2014 at 03:15

Zetro best work was still with Testament when they were called Legacy and that is still Testament/Legacy's best work by miles and miles.

Did Zetro record anything with Testament?

Well they weren't called Testament at the time but Legacy but had to change their name due to some other band having therights to name, but three of the four demo songs he recorded the vocals for ended up on Testament's debut album and later on he did record Reign Of Terror with them on a rerecorded compilation album and he is still regarded as the Original Testament vocalist and rightly so.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 3971 | This month: 10