Metal Storm logo
Important !!! Band Edits Guidelines

Original post

Posted by D.T. Metal, 13.06.2014 - 08:56
Going through our logs I have noticed that not everyone is on the same page in regards of editing. As some of you might already know, our resident database guru psykometal is taking some personal time and before things get totally out of hand below are some important things you all should adhere by while editing.

Most of the below can also be found in the FAQ 4. Contributions:

General profile guidelines

Main band info
  • Former names must be formatted as such: FormerBandName ('XX-'XX). see for example: Children Of Bodom

• Images - Must be edited to be as square as possible. If we add an incredibly oblong/rectangular image then it will appear incredibly scrunched, and potentially unrecognizable, depending on how oblong it is, when the site squeezes it into a perfect 200x200 square.

• Country - If the country of Origin is different than the current location please fill out both fields. Ex: Inquisition

• Label - If the band is currently unsigned, use the Unsigned option in the drop down.

• Label2 - If the band is signed to more than one label, list their home country label first.

• Links - All of the band's sites must be listed; their homepage (if they have one) as well as all their official social media. Only official sites; no merch stores or label sites

• Links2 - The Official website link goes at the top, all other links must be ordered alphabetically afterward.

• Links3 - Link names must display as they do on their respective sites; also, no abbreviations. Ex: Bandcamp (not BandCamp), Bandzone (not BandZone), Myspace (not MySpace), ReverbNation (not Reverbnation), SoundCloud (not Soundcloud), VKontakte (not Vkontakte or VK), YouTube (not Youtube)

• Players - Bandcamp and SoundCloud links must be added to both the Player and Links area fields on the Edit band page. Many users disable the players in their settings, so if the links are not added to both areas on the Edit band page then those users won't see any links to those sites that feature the band's music.

Break up/Hiatus
  • Break up and hiatus info should be added to the Break up/Hiatus text field of the Edit band page. Do not reflect multiple break ups or hiatuses in the style or musician years. If a band is currently on hiatus do not add To years to the style or Departed years to the musicians. If a band has multiple break ups or hiatuses do not add those periods to the style or musician years.

Bio
  • All bios must be proofread/edited for proper grammar, punctuation, structure, etc.

• All bios should be UBB coded following these guidelines:

- All mentioned bands [band] tagged. Ex: [ band ]Children Of Bodom[ /band ] = Children Of Bodom
    - All album titles italicized. Ex: [ i ]Follow The Reaper[ /i ] = Follow The Reaper
    - All labels, tours, and festivals bolded. Ex: [ b ]Nuclear Blast Records[ /b ] = Nuclear Blast Records
    - All song titles "quoted". Ex: "Bodom After Midnight"
    *Remove the spaces between the brackets and letters in the examples to complete the code.
    A biography is no longer necessary for a band's profile to be activated; it is, however, a bonus that is generally nice to have, if you can find an official one or compile one from official sources.

Line-up
  • also check here for more information

• Guitars, keyboards, and synthesizers must be spelled out and pluralized. Currently, singular/shortened versions of all 3 are used all over the site right now. So for uniformity sake, and professional appearance, we want to streamline to one or the other, and the spelled out/pluralized form was decided upon.

• Instruments should be arranged in order of relevance, not alphabetic order.

• Studio musicians are musicians who helped record all (or most) of an instrument (or instruments) for an album, in the studio, but are not members of the band. Ex: George Kollias performed all the drum tracks for Ade's Spartacus in the studio, but he was never in the band.

• Live musicians are musicians who only played live with the band for a tour, gig or festival appearance. Ex: Tony Laureano toured with Dimmu Borgir in 2005 and 2007, but never wrote or recorded anything with the band.

• Guest musicians are musicians who came into the studio and recorded a special part for the album, but had no role in the overall writing or recording process for the album. Ex: whenever Jeff Loomis plays a solo or two on an album for a band, and nothing else.

Albums
  • Also check here for information.

• Albums have their own style tags now. Use it if the style of the album does not fit the style of the band

• No TBA albums allowed; only albums with a full release date and title can be added. If you find any, mark them for deletion immediately.

• Working title albums are allowed. And if added, include [Working Title] at the end of the title.

• Splits must be set as EP for the type, and include [Split] at the end of the title.

• Collaboration albums must include [Collaboration] at the end of the title. On very rare occasions bands collaborate by writing songs together, these are collaboration albums, not splits. Also, if the Collaboration is between multiple bands that are featured on MS, don't forget to link the album to all featured bands; just like you would for a Split. Ex1: Alkerdeel/Gnaw Their Tongues - Dyodyo Asema. Ex2: Metallica/Lou Reed - Lulu

Sources
  • Use official sources only. For more specific details and discussion: http://metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=45375

• ALWAYS include your source; regardless if you the Source field is or is not there for you.

As always, thanks for your contribution on keeping our database awesome
  • 23.08.2014 - 06:20
    Ruchesko
    Should existing "soprano vocals" credits be changed to just "vocals"?
    23.08.2014 - 06:25
    Troy Killjoy
    perfunctionist
    Staff
    Written by Ruchesko on 23.08.2014 at 06:20

Ya, there's no real need to differentiate between style. Otherwise we'd have to write "clean vocals", "growled vocals", etc. and that's just no.
    ----
    "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
    11.09.2014 - 09:43
    M C Vice
    ex-polydactyl
    Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.08.2014 at 06:25

Written by Ruchesko on 23.08.2014 at 06:20

Ya, there's no real need to differentiate between style. Otherwise we'd have to write "clean vocals", "growled vocals", etc. and that's just no.

What about Dol Ammad? Their lead vocals are done by a 12-14 piece choir, so its there to differenciate(?) who does what. Is there an exception for them?
    ----
    "Another day, another Doug."
    "I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
    " 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
    11.09.2014 - 14:24
    Bad English
    Tage Westerlund
    And same goes for female vocals as well
    ----
    I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
    apos;'
    [image]
    I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
    12.09.2014 - 15:28
    Troy Killjoy
    perfunctionist
    Staff
    Written by M C Vice on 11.09.2014 at 09:43
    What about Dol Ammad? Their lead vocals are done by a 12-14 piece choir, so its there to differenciate(?) who does what. Is there an exception for them?

For the sake of uniformity, "vocals" is fine, but since it's a choir it doesn't hurt to provide that extra bit of information.
    ----
    "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
    12.09.2014 - 17:14
    Bad English
    Tage Westerlund
    And also don't add lyrics and song writing in instruments since those are not instruments
    ----

apos;'
    [image]
    13.09.2014 - 12:59
    Marcel Hubregtse
    Grumpy Old Fuck
    Elite
    Written by Bad English on 12.09.2014 at 17:14

And also don't add lyrics and song writing in instruments since those are not instruments

mentioning song writing when it comes to instrumental songs is 100% okay, since an instrumental is a song that has been written, it just doesn't have any lyrics.
    ----
    Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
    Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
    05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.09.2014 - 13:18
    Bad English
    Tage Westerlund
    Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.09.2014 at 12:59

Written by Bad English on 12.09.2014 at 17:14

mentioning song writing when it comes to instrumental songs is 100% okay, since an instrumental is a song that has been written, it just doesn't have any lyrics.

I mean some do
    like:
    Jonny B - vocals, lyrics, producing
    since lyrics and producing are not instrument
    same
    Billy: guitars, lyrics, composing, mastering ...
    ----

apos;'
    [image]
    27.10.2014 - 13:35
    Bad English
    Tage Westerlund
    How about every single user whit out staff and trusties get this PM, al guideline, and they can't do much in MS whit out reading it and accept if understand, because ppl make same old errors , all the time and best be also after reading it test
    whitch of those are correct
    1 ) Run to the Hills [c: Iron Maiden]

2) Run To The Hills (Iron Maiden cover)

3) Run To The Hills [c: Iron Maiden] (2012 bonus )

4) Run Toe The Hills [c: Iron Maiden] [b: 2012]
    ----

apos;'
    [image]
    07.02.2015 - 19:39
    Bad English
    Tage Westerlund
    Quoteing DT metal
    Quote:
    all the myspace webstites are now https://

those who will try delete myspace , just fix it its still there, I am glad I follow my instinct and didn't delete myspace links, just fix it whit http://myspace.com/band name from http://www.myspace/bandname (or what is that link)

myspace still are there
    ----

apos;'
    [image]
    28.07.2016 - 16:00
    Cynic Metalhead
    Paisa Vich Nasha
    I'll like to bring an important issue here. I think people not paying attention to rules of submitting.

Anyone who's submitting information about bands/line-ups/bios/logos/trivia/videos, please mention the source.

By source, i mean the link. Even if you've dragged informatiom from MS news panel, still you've to mention the source.

It won't be acceptable if you give information about edits and submit it without mentioning credible source(s).
    28.07.2016 - 17:38
    Bad English
    Tage Westerlund
    Written by Cynic Metalhead on 28.07.2016 at 16:00

I'll like to bring an important issue here. I think people not paying attention to rules of submitting.

Anyone who's submitting information about bands/line-ups/bios/logos/trivia/videos, please mention the source.

By source, i mean the link. Even if you've dragged informatiom from MS news panel, still you've to mention the source.

It won't be acceptable if you give information about edits and submit it without mentioning credible source(s).

Ordinary people cant fix anything whit out source, those who has perms needs comment but sorry + bands are trusted and there are reason why they have and I doubt they need link, but about source I have seen it to, but I doubt many ever will look here
    ----

apos;'
    [image]
    28.07.2016 - 17:52
    psykometal
    A staff guy...
    Elite
    Yes, part of the problem is people not reading the "Notes on..." editing rules and it doesn't help that those same people also very likely don't pay attention to the forums much either, so there's not really much that can be done other than leaving a comment about needing the source when you accept/reject these edits.

Also, when you encounter these, feel free to PM me about them and I will personally message them about it. Hopefully they'll heed my message and do it right from then on, but I've also seen many in the past decided that that's too much effort on their part and they quit editing altogether. Either way let me know and I'll say something to them and what happens from there happens.

@Ed - No, +Bands people and people who have earned the bands edit perms with points do not get the mandatory "Source" requirement, but yes, they still need to include the source link of their info in the Comments section.
    ----
    ~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

28.07.2016 - 18:13
    Cynic Metalhead
    Paisa Vich Nasha
    Quote:
    Written by Bad English on 28.07.2016 at 17:38

thte author=116638 date=2016-07-28 16:00:14]

but sorry + bands are trusted and there are reason why they have and I doubt they need link.

Musicians submitting information about bands they automatically write "vocalist/guitarist/drummer of this band" and it seems legit. But, still i go across web to cross-check info. and see whether its relevant or not.
    29.10.2019 - 22:15
    ScreamingSteelUS
    Editor-in-Chief
    Admin
    I have updated the OP of this thread to reflect our recent decision that biographies are no longer considered necessary for activation. Due to the difficulty in finding officially sourced and up-to-date, accurate biographies for every band under the sun, we have elected to codify a stance that has existed in practice for a while already. You may now request activation of a profile if it does not have a biography, provided that all the other necessary information is in place and the band is sufficiently metal. Nonetheless, we do encourage you to find and add biographies where you can; they are still nice to have.
    ----
    "Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
    30.10.2019 - 08:26
    Bad English
    Tage Westerlund
    Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 29.10.2019 at 22:15

I have updated the OP of this thread to reflect our recent decision that biographies are no longer considered necessary for activation. Due to the difficulty in finding officially sourced and up-to-date, accurate biographies for every band under the sun, we have elected to codify a stance that has existed in practice for a while already. You may now request activation of a profile if it does not have a biography, provided that all the other necessary information is in place and the band is sufficiently metal. Nonetheless, we do encourage you to find and add biographies where you can; they are still nice to have.

yes many users fuck up ms bio, what is taken from old home page, they make worts bio from FB because old page is dead, its ridiculous, ms bio is great based on old archaic internet days when basically every sucker band had home page whit super good bio

@user dont change ms bio
    ----

apos;'
    [image]