Metal Storm logo
Important !!! Band Edits Guidelines

13.06.2014 - 08:56
D.T. Metal
staff
Going through our logs I have noticed that not everyone is on the same page in regards of editing. As some of you might already know, our resident database guru psykometal is taking some personal time and before things get totally out of hand below are some important things you all should adhere by while editing.

Most of the below can also be found in the FAQ 4. Contributions:

General profile guidelines

Main band info
  • Former names must be formatted as such: FormerBandName ('XX-'XX). see for example: Children Of Bodom

• Images - Must be edited to be as square as possible. If we add an incredibly oblong/rectangular image then it will appear incredibly scrunched, and potentially unrecognizable, depending on how oblong it is, when the site squeezes it into a perfect 200x200 square.

• Country - If the country of Origin is different than the current location please fill out both fields. Ex: Inquisition

• Label - If the band is currently unsigned, use the Unsigned option in the drop down.

• Label2 - If the band is signed to more than one label, list their home country label first.

• Links - All of the band's sites must be listed; their homepage (if they have one) as well as all their official social media. Only official sites; no merch stores or label sites

• Links2 - The Official website link goes at the top, all other links must be ordered alphabetically afterward.

• Links3 - Link names must display as they do on their respective sites; also, no abbreviations. Ex: Bandcamp (not BandCamp), Bandzone (not BandZone), Myspace (not MySpace), ReverbNation (not Reverbnation), SoundCloud (not Soundcloud), VKontakte (not Vkontakte or VK), YouTube (not Youtube)

• Players - Bandcamp and SoundCloud links must be added to both the Player and Links area fields on the Edit band page. Many users disable the players in their settings, so if the links are not added to both areas on the Edit band page then those users won't see any links to those sites that feature the band's music.

Break up/Hiatus
  • Break up and hiatus info should be added to the Break up/Hiatus text field of the Edit band page. Do not reflect multiple break ups or hiatuses in the style or musician years. If a band is currently on hiatus do not add To years to the style or Departed years to the musicians. If a band has multiple break ups or hiatuses do not add those periods to the style or musician years.

Bio
  • All bios must be proofread/edited for proper grammar, punctuation, structure, etc.

• All bios should be UBB coded following these guidelines:

- All mentioned bands [band] tagged. Ex: [ band ]Children Of Bodom[ /band ] = Children Of Bodom
    - All album titles italicized. Ex: [ i ]Follow The Reaper[ /i ] = Follow The Reaper
    - All labels, tours, and festivals bolded. Ex: [ b ]Nuclear Blast Records[ /b ] = Nuclear Blast Records
    - All song titles "quoted". Ex: "Bodom After Midnight"
    *Remove the spaces between the brackets and letters in the examples to complete the code.
    A biography is no longer necessary for a band's profile to be activated; it is, however, a bonus that is generally nice to have, if you can find an official one or compile one from official sources.

Line-up
  • also check here for more information

• Guitars, keyboards, and synthesizers must be spelled out and pluralized. Currently, singular/shortened versions of all 3 are used all over the site right now. So for uniformity sake, and professional appearance, we want to streamline to one or the other, and the spelled out/pluralized form was decided upon.

• Instruments should be arranged in order of relevance, not alphabetic order.

• Studio musicians are musicians who helped record all (or most) of an instrument (or instruments) for an album, in the studio, but are not members of the band. Ex: George Kollias performed all the drum tracks for Ade's Spartacus in the studio, but he was never in the band.

• Live musicians are musicians who only played live with the band for a tour, gig or festival appearance. Ex: Tony Laureano toured with Dimmu Borgir in 2005 and 2007, but never wrote or recorded anything with the band.

• Guest musicians are musicians who came into the studio and recorded a special part for the album, but had no role in the overall writing or recording process for the album. Ex: whenever Jeff Loomis plays a solo or two on an album for a band, and nothing else.

Albums
  • Also check here for information.

• Albums have their own style tags now. Use it if the style of the album does not fit the style of the band

• No TBA albums allowed; only albums with a full release date and title can be added. If you find any, mark them for deletion immediately.

• Working title albums are allowed. And if added, include [Working Title] at the end of the title.

• Splits must be set as EP for the type, and include [Split] at the end of the title.

• Collaboration albums must include [Collaboration] at the end of the title. On very rare occasions bands collaborate by writing songs together, these are collaboration albums, not splits. Also, if the Collaboration is between multiple bands that are featured on MS, don't forget to link the album to all featured bands; just like you would for a Split. Ex1: Alkerdeel/Gnaw Their Tongues - Dyodyo Asema. Ex2: Metallica/Lou Reed - Lulu

Sources
  • Use official sources only. For more specific details and discussion: http://metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=45375

• ALWAYS include your source; regardless if you the Source field is or is not there for you.

As always, thanks for your contribution on keeping our database awesome
    13.06.2014 - 12:40
    Bad English
    Tage Westerlund
    Well I basically follow this one but I did not know about alfabeth and also ubb code into bio , but resize img ... I dont have any clue how to do it whit windows 7 , if it was xp I knew there was one program now it looks weird and I cant do it... sorry
    ----
    I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
    apos;'
    [image]
    I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
    13.06.2014 - 16:27
    D.T. Metal
    staff
    Written by Bad English on 13.06.2014 at 12:40

Well I basically follow this one but I did not know about alfabeth and also ubb code into bio , but resize img ... I dont have any clue how to do it whit windows 7 , if it was xp I knew there was one program now it looks weird and I cant do it... sorry

FAQ 4.3 - try Irfanview
    06.07.2014 - 16:19
    Ilham
    Giant robot
    I couldn't find the answer to a question of mine in neither the FAQ nor the forum. I am sorry if it has been raised before, but I sincerely didn't find it. I am hoping asking it here is OK.

I was wondering what was the policy on adding a split EP which was released by a band currently featured here, but invisible; and one that is not in the database. Does the second band have to be added prior to adding the EP? Or do I just add the album to the discography of the first band already featured, without linking it to the second band?
    06.07.2014 - 16:44
    Karlabos
    Meat and Potatos
    Written by Ilham on 06.07.2014 at 16:19

Or do I just add the album to the discography of the first band already featured, without linking it to the second band?

This alternative.
    Well at least I already did this and the satff accepted.
    ----
    "Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
    - Reimu Hakurei
    06.07.2014 - 16:51
    Ilham
    Giant robot
    Written by Karlabos on 06.07.2014 at 16:44

Or do I just add the album to the discography of the first band already featured, without linking it to the second band?

This alternative.
    Well at least I already did this and the satff accepted.

OK. I would wait for confirmation, but this alternative would be the best as the band in question is almost invisible on the internet. It is not for me to judge, but it would be a waste of time, effort and space to add them.
    06.07.2014 - 17:03
    Bad English
    Tage Westerlund

I couldn't find the answer to a question of mine in neither the FAQ nor the forum. I am sorry if it has been raised before, but I sincerely didn't find it. I am hoping asking it here is OK.

I was wondering what was the policy on adding a split EP which was released by a band currently featured here, but invisible; and one that is not in the database. Does the second band have to be added prior to adding the EP? Or do I just add the album to the discography of the first band already featured, without linking it to the second band?

Yes you can we have many like those here .... i cant remeber
    just go to search and re search split

you add
    title [split] chose formath. ep, demo what so ever

use th band what is feutured 1th

name
    # song title
    # song title

name 2
    # song title
    ----

apos;'
    [image]
    06.07.2014 - 17:07
    Ilham
    Giant robot
    Okay. Thank you two for those answers. I will add it illico presto.
    06.07.2014 - 17:15
    Bad English
    Tage Westerlund
    Written by Ilham on 06.07.2014 at 17:07

Okay. Thank you two for those answers. I will add it illico presto.

example
    http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/album.php?album_id=76731

theories are not in MS
    ----

apos;'
    [image]
    12.07.2014 - 06:50
    psykometal
    A staff guy...
    elite
    There's lots of splits on MS that have non-featured bands on them. Just do as BE said and add it to the featured band's discography with [Split] at the end of the title and the track list displayed as above.
    ----
    ~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

12.07.2014 - 14:36
    Bad English
    Tage Westerlund
    Written by psykometal on 12.07.2014 at 06:50

There's lots of splits on MS that have non-featured bands on them. Just do as BE said and add it to the featured band's discography with [Split] at the end of the title and the track list displayed as above.

whats wrong whit my explanation?
    ----

apos;'
    [image]
    12.07.2014 - 20:02
    Troy Killjoy
    perfunctionist
    staff
    Written by Bad English on 12.07.2014 at 14:36
    whats wrong whit my explanation?

Nothing, his explanation is just more concise.
    ----
    "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
    13.07.2014 - 21:02
    psykometal
    A staff guy...
    elite
    And users generally prefer to receive confirmation from a Staff member over the guy who is generally regarded as the village idiot.
    ----

13.07.2014 - 21:05
    Bad English
    Tage Westerlund
    Written by psykometal on 13.07.2014 at 21:02

And users generally prefer to receive confirmation from a Staff member over the guy who is generally regarded as the village idiot.

I see, thanks for explaining you Texas banghool cornholio
    ----

apos;'
    [image]
    13.07.2014 - 21:22
    psykometal
    A staff guy...
    elite
    *bonghole
    ----

14.07.2014 - 04:37
    Marcel Hubregtse
    Grumpy Old Fuck
    elite
    Written by psykometal on 13.07.2014 at 21:22

*bonghole

if you're referring to B&B it's actually bunghole and not bonghole even though it is the same thing but of course it never is banghool
    ----
    Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
    Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
    05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.07.2014 - 21:22
    psykometal
    A staff guy...
    elite
    Ah, yea. You're right. Been so long.
    ----

24.07.2014 - 22:41
    Ruchesko
    About instruments in profiles, should pianos just be filed under "keyboards"?
    24.07.2014 - 22:52
    Troy Killjoy
    perfunctionist
    staff
    Written by Ruchesko on 24.07.2014 at 22:41
    About instruments in profiles, should pianos just be filed under "keyboards"?

Depends on if it's a piano or a keyboard, really. If they use a real piano then put piano.
    ----
    "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
    24.07.2014 - 23:10
    Ruchesko
    Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.07.2014 at 22:52

Depends on if it's a piano or a keyboard, really. If they use a real piano then put piano.

Thanks.

Now, this'll sound supremely pedantic but should the same logic be applied to acoustic guitars? Or does one guitar(s) fit all.
    24.07.2014 - 23:13
    Troy Killjoy
    perfunctionist
    staff
    Written by Ruchesko on 24.07.2014 at 23:10
    Now, this'll sound supremely pedantic but should the same logic be applied to acoustic guitars? Or does one guitar(s) fit all.

Guitar(s) is fine as a catch-all.
    ----
    21.08.2014 - 00:02
    Troy Killjoy
    perfunctionist
    staff
    The following change has been made to the OP:

"Bio
    All bios must be proofread/edited for proper grammar, punctuation, structure, etc.

All bios should be UBB coded following these guidelines:
    - All mentioned bands [band] tagged. Ex: [ band ]Children Of Bodom[ /band ] = Children Of Bodom
    - All album titles italicized. Ex: [ i ]Follow The Reaper[ /i ] = Follow The Reaper
    - All labels, tours and festivals bolded. Ex: [ b ]Nuclear Blast Records[ /b ] = Nuclear Blast Records
    - All song titles "quoted". Ex: "Bodom After Midnight"
    *Remove the spaces between the brackets and letters in the examples to complete the code.
    A coded bio is not necessary for a band to be activated, although it is a nice aesthetic bonus."

Because so many activation requests didn't follow the initial guideline and made more work for us to edit the biography properly, we made it so that coded biographies are no longer necessary for a band to be made visible. This means more of the activation requests can be dealt with more efficiently.

Happy editing.
    ----
    21.08.2014 - 00:20
    Bad English
    Tage Westerlund
    Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.08.2014 at 00:02

Happy editing.

and when accepting it member do
    like:

''MANOWAR , a super band born in 1982, realized GLOWES of METAL ''... and such style of bio.
    what to do, reject accept?

same hoes good bio no UBB coding?
    ----

apos;'
    [image]
    21.08.2014 - 00:27
    Troy Killjoy
    perfunctionist
    staff
    Written by Bad English on 21.08.2014 at 00:20
    and when accepting it member do
    like:

''MANOWAR , a super band born in 1982, realized GLOWES of METAL ''... and such style of bio.
    what to do, reject accept?

same hoes good bio no UBB coding?

I just answered this with my last post.

Format biographies properly. Code them if you have the time.

Don't reject a biography just because a couple names are fully capitalized. Take two seconds and edit them yourself, just accept the edit with a 1 or 2 instead of a 3 depending on how bad it is.
    ----
    21.08.2014 - 00:36
    Marcel Hubregtse
    Grumpy Old Fuck
    elite
    JESUS FUCKIG H CHRIST some people really are anally retentive (no not you Troy )
    ----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
    05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.08.2014 - 01:59
    Bad English
    Tage Westerlund
    Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.08.2014 at 00:36

JESUS FUCKIG H CHRIST some people really are anally retentive (no not you Troy )

when was last time you did some accepting, editing and do datebase think?

@Troy - I don't, I just asking
    I fuck up, you take my perms away, you fuck up you have a perms delete it and Marcel will cover up
    ----

apos;'
    [image]
    21.08.2014 - 02:15
    Marcel Hubregtse
    Grumpy Old Fuck
    elite
    Written by Bad English on 21.08.2014 at 01:59

Maybe not more than you have ever done but at least more important ones than you will ever do... Now go fuck off and cry in a corner... You trot here as if you are the be all and end all but guess what? No you are NOT. You are just one of the many pawns in what is MS.

BTW if you don't understand what I mean, mmm that will be almost 95% certain (even though you think you know what someone means), you can always pm me and I will and try and explain it to you, but I am sure you won't even understand it after two explinations.
    ----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
    05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.08.2014 - 02:54
    Marcel Hubregtse
    Grumpy Old Fuck
    elite
    Written by Bad English on 21.08.2014 at 01:59

@Troy - I don't, I just asking
    I fuck up, you take my perms away, you fuck up you have a perms delete it and Marcel will cover up

BTW did I already tell you to fuck and keep you mouth shut foreevr? PLEASE START RIGHT NOW.
    ----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
    05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.08.2014 - 03:30
    Auntie Sahar
    Drone Empress
    elite
    Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.07.2014 at 04:37

if you're referring to B&B it's actually bunghole and not bonghole

Yeah, needing TP for your water pipe's carb would be a bit strange indeed
    ----
    I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
    22.08.2014 - 14:09
    psykometal
    A staff guy...
    elite
    ----