04. Behind The Sun
05. The River
06. Monolith
07. Paradox
08. A Dying Vine
09. All Is Not Well
10. Born Anew
11. Enshrined

While some bands like to perform by the bible of the genre, others tend to give back to the style while remaining somewhat faithful to the overall outlines of it, and very few of those manage to appeal to both the old and modern school fan. That being said, Monolith is the absolute template that applies to the progressively unique and original model of thrash metal.

Monolith is the 3rd full-length album by Sylosis and the second to feature Josh Middelton as the full time vocalist for the band. The four-piece progressive thrash metal band from Reading, Berkshire have managed to imply the corner stones of thrash metal, while developing a sound often mixed with elements from both melodic and progressive death metal. Somehow they tend to abstract the final outcome of that formula, making it hard to precisely label their style, but I think their sound is more defined by its progressive approach rather than a "by the book" performance.

The concept of the album is basically the story of Orpheus, a figure that is portrayed in Greek mythology as a musician able to charm all living things with his music, even stones, and his quest to revive Eurydice, his wife which takes him eventually into the underworld. It is fair to say that the creative approach into the song writing is what serves mainly as the firepower for Sylosis; an aspect that is notably present in this album. Not only in form of a unique lyrical work is that they managed to accomplish that, every riff they have written to this album gives a sense of originality. While often missed, even in the most diverse of scenes, some of those riffs deliver the stellar feel of power regularly sensed in retro thrash, while others speak to you on a more sentimental level. As a quick glimpse, the title track may give you a hint of the aforementioned.

Another one of the unique tracks featured on this album is "Out From Below" in which you can sense the potent grip of thrash metal riffing as it beautifully breaks down into acoustics. Tracks like "The River" and "What Dwells Within" tend to feature a more frequent decline in tempo and notably embrace clean vocals more often. All that reminds you of the progressive Opeth'ish style with their rigid and stiff death metal techniques, making Sylosis's music distinctive and easy to fall in love with.

Monolith really manages to deliver powerful material and subject matter while unmistakably give you the sentimental feel of sore, painful and ear-gasmic beauty. A few tracks however feel lackluster and less distinctive in writing, but that is the case with every other album out there and it barely affects the overall quality of the album. Sylosis also takes that extra mile by adding a sense of originality into their thrash-oriented approach; one that rises above trending styles and presents a lyrically creative take on Greek mythology.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by Lord_Agony | 13.06.2014

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 81 users
13.06.2014 - 12:49
Rating: 10
musclassia

These guys are pretty much my favourite band and have been for a few years, but are pretty much the only new thrash band I enjoy, probably because they operate obviously outside the 80s template. There's everything from a slight atmospheric black on the title track to post-metal elements in the bridges of two tracks. As far as weaker tracks go, probably the one which offers least to me is the title track, mainly due to its fairly repetitive nature, and Fear The World, just because the sweeping calls back to Empyreal and the song is a step below that track, but even it is slowly growing on me. I also wasn't initially sold on All Is Not Well and Born Anew, but both have won me over. The fact that all four of those songs have distinctly different styles yet the band feels comfortable playing all of them is one reason why I like them so much and rate them that much higher than the retro-thrash wave of bands.

Just some of my ramblings on the album, I could happily talk about it for a while, but I think your review succintly sums up the strengths that this band currently has. Your description, particularly in the third and fourth paragraphs, do a very good job at describing some of what makes this band so good. I especially agree with your point over how some riffs offer power (A Dying Vine stands out for me) whilst others are very sentimental. I just find myself very impressed at how much they've progressed since their debut, an album I was enamored with at the time and still like, but which is very much overshadowed by the subsequent albums now in my eyes, and particularly over their first EPs - the relatively standard-sounding metalcore band on Casting Shadows has come a very long way by this point. I just hope they can continue to maintain this level of creativity and inspiration when they get round to their next album.
13.06.2014 - 14:08
Rating: 9
schlakt

Great review. seen them live twice, they really are an incredible band both live and in studio! Sylosis has a great future in front of them!
13.06.2014 - 15:07
Rating: 9
Lord_Agony

Written by musclassia on 13.06.2014 at 12:49

..the relatively standard-sounding metalcore band on Casting Shadows has come a very long way by this point.

Absolutely, their creative approach is something you can notice at first glimpse, and will continue to be the reason you enjoy their work. Amazingly they're very keen on ignoring all the trends that are going on and creating something different, few bands right now tend to carry this mindset and work accordingly which is really something to admire.
13.06.2014 - 16:23
Zap
Yes, finally a review. And I agree with most of it. I would also like to mention that Josh Middleton is a beast on the guitar, but never goes into wank-territory.
13.06.2014 - 20:26
Rating: 8
Uldreth

Aye, this is probably my absolute favourite thrash band around and the melodeath/metalcore/groove influences they incorporate into the music just further adds to that.

Hits total: 3976 | This month: 6