Metal Storm logo
Experimental power/melodic metal?

Original post

Posted by Karlabos, 14.06.2014 - 04:19
So guys, lately I've been on a journey to find relics as experimental power metal. You can find "experimental" tag on black or death pretty easily however it seems this genre is stagnated in a way that it's almost impossible to find something different among power, melodic or even neighbours such as heavy, speed, symphonic metal bands.

So far, what do you think of these?
Rainbowdragoneyes: Chiptune/power metal

Magic Hammer: Power metal/eurobeat

Xenon Maiden: power metal using softwares (vocaloid) as vocals. (besides... There must be more of these, but still, it's pretty different I'd say)

Dol Ammad: spacesynth/symphonic

Anyone knows more?
If some more warriors would aid me on this journey, I'd be very glad.
24.02.2015 - 15:31
Charly546

Written by Karlabos on 23.02.2015 at 00:34

Discovering many heavy/power related bands today. thanks to huh... metal archives. yep :hides:
Anyway... This is more to the heavy territory, but I thought like sharing.
[I'm not quoting the video, it's above this post]
It most definitely wasn't meant to be taken seriously, but I quite like the lo-fi vibe to it, and you get used to the vocals after a while.

Well, that was certainly an experience. It's definitely not forgettable, which in my opinion is one of the worst sins in music, but I'm not sure if it is a good or bad thing. Anyway I listened to the whole song, the whole 7 minutes in a single sitting without any breaks and I feel like I have reached the top of a mountain and am looking down from the top. Everything seems so small but the world seems so large. It's kinda like an epiphany (but not that kind after which you need to change your clothes). A different perspective. A cube when viewed from corner looks like a three-faced pyramid when viewed from above. "Lulu" is actually quite interesting and innovative. This song has opened up new perspective in me - nothing is bad when compared to this song. The heights of metal seem higher than they have ever been and the lows are lower than ever. I never knew metal is so vast. I'm like a scientist who has discovered life where none should be and hence broadened his horizons. Beyond the sea of forgettable and unremarkable bands lies a small patch of land where this song lives. Hopefully alone. But we may truly never know. But we now know this song exists.

Edit (23.04): I went way overboard with that description. The quoted song is not nearly as bad to warrant what I wrote before. I apologize.
20.04.2015 - 01:49
nuttyflavors

My entire power metal and thrash metal CD collection, rare, autographs, imports

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121626244252?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
----
My entire black metal CD collection plus a DVD and some black/death bands

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121621202578?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
23.04.2015 - 12:19
Charly546

Here is another album that MA classifies as progressive thrash metal but I'd say it is simpler to say weird metal. The band is Thought Industry and the album I'm talking about is "Songs for Insects" which is their first album. There are a lot of different sounds mashed together here and it takes the listener to a joyride where it's impossible to predict where the next turn leads you to. Here are two songs from the album:

Apparently the next albums are even better, but I haven't managed to listen to those yet.
16.11.2015 - 23:03
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
It's been a while since I last found something worthwhile among the power metal scene
Today I found about Urizen. A band which makes power metal with electronic and 8-bit influences. How come 8 bit makes everything sound so nostalgic :3
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
08.03.2016 - 21:27
Reverse Giraffe

If you like Dol Ammad, there is Dol Kruug and Dol Theeta, although Kruug is more death metal leaning and Theeta is more....gothic rock, I guess? But they are all related projects and there are aspects of their sounds that are related