Metal Storm logo
Beginning Metal Songs

28.06.2014 - 08:46
Ganondox

Hey guys, so I sing, play piano (though I haven't practiced in a long time), and guitar. I've been playing guitar for about a year and a half now, and I'd consider myself a beginning guitarist. To give an idea of my skill level, I don't know any solos, but the hardest songs I can play are "Back in Black" (though not on original tempo) and "Pachelbel's Canon", and I can nail "Smoke on the Water". I know quite a few hard rock songs, but aside from the main riff to "Iron Man" and a few other riffs I forgot like "Enter Sandman", I don't know any metal songs. I'd like to learn a few beginning metal songs. Now before someone recommends some grindcore or something, I'm a fan of melodic metal like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, In Flames, and Disturbed, though so far I've been unsuccessful at playing any riffs by any of those bands, even Disturbed. I also can't play anything that's dependent on pedal effects as I haven't gotten any pedals yet, though I have reverb, distortion/gain, bass, treble, and mid tone settings on my amp. So yeah, recommend some songs.
28.06.2014 - 12:53
Sunioj

If you are willing to tune down try out (from easiest to harder):

Dark Tranquility - Final Resistance, Monochromatic Stains, and White Noise Black Silence.

If that's too fast, I'd suggest checking out the Quake II soundtrack. It's got some pretty badass, but easy guitar riffs and is really fun. I don't have money for an electric or effects, I play it all on my acoustic. Work with what you have, focus on your technique first.
28.06.2014 - 19:48
Mattybu

Try For Whom The Bell Tolls. That was one of the first songs I learned to play, it's pretty slow and fun too. As far as Black Sabbath goes Into The Void is a good one, none of their early stuff is that fast actually. But in that first riff of Into The Void you can practice pull-offs, when you get there.
28.06.2014 - 20:38
ANGEL REAPER

----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
29.06.2014 - 19:21
Ganondox

Just my thoughts on theses songs so far, I haven't actually been able to try anything out yet as I've just packed up both my guitars. I'll get them out in a couple months for college, just taking note of songs right now.

Written by Sunioj on 28.06.2014 at 12:53

If you are willing to tune down try out (from easiest to harder):

Dark Tranquility - Final Resistance, Monochromatic Stains, and White Noise Black Silence.

If that's too fast, I'd suggest checking out the Quake II soundtrack. It's got some pretty badass, but easy guitar riffs and is really fun. I don't have money for an electric or effects, I play it all on my acoustic. Work with what you have, focus on your technique first.

Except for maybe White Noise Black Silence (like that one's riff the most too), the Dark Tranquility songs are way too fast on both the rhythm and lead guitar lines, and the changing tempos doesn't exactly help. Uh, got any good doom metal? Haha. As for Quake II, sounds more at my pace, but I'm not liking it as much, reminds me of Pantera, which I'm not a big fan of. Like Pantera there are riffs I like much better than some the others, the more complex/melodic ones where the guitar tone isn't too abrasive, so there is a mixture of riffs that sound really good and ones I can't stand. Also the industrial elements make me think it would be difficult to play the actual song without a backing track instead of just the riffs.

Written by Mattybu on 28.06.2014 at 19:48

Try For Whom The Bell Tolls. That was one of the first songs I learned to play, it's pretty slow and fun too. As far as Black Sabbath goes Into The Void is a good one, none of their early stuff is that fast actually. But in that first riff of Into The Void you can practice pull-offs, when you get there.

Really like most of the riffs in For Whom The Bell Tolls, so I'll be sure to check that out. As for Black Sabbath, wait, they have songs that are fast? I guess the Dio era, I've mainly only heard their early stuff. I'll try Into the Void out, as well as some other Black Sabbath songs. Also sounds like it has neat bass line, so I'll see if I can get my brother to learn it.

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 28.06.2014 at 20:38

I made two handy lists for just that :
http://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=926

and

http://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=2049

Definitely some good songs on there, gonna check those out once I get my guitars back.
02.07.2014 - 13:39
Sunioj

Written by Ganondox on 29.06.2014 at 19:21

Except for maybe White Noise Black Silence (like that one's riff the most too), the Dark Tranquility songs are way too fast on both the rhythm and lead guitar lines, and the changing tempos doesn't exactly help. Uh, got any good doom metal? Haha. As for Quake II, sounds more at my pace, but I'm not liking it as much, reminds me of Pantera, which I'm not a big fan of. Like Pantera there are riffs I like much better than some the others, the more complex/melodic ones where the guitar tone isn't too abrasive, so there is a mixture of riffs that sound really good and ones I can't stand. Also the industrial elements make me think it would be difficult to play the actual song without a backing track instead of just the riffs.

How come you are concerned about having to play to the track, are you intending play it completely from memory? If you are, good luck. My memory is horrible.

Doom is considerably slower, unless you want to go for a melodic hybrid like October Tide, Slumber or Swallow the Sun (all of which is excellent and is recommendable).

Here is a really good October Tide song, its melodic, slower, and not a lot of shredding going on. There are faster songs on the album if its too slow for you, just google the Rain Without End album. It's one of my favorite albums to jam to as well.

03.07.2014 - 04:44
Ganondox

Written by Sunioj on 02.07.2014 at 13:39

How come you are concerned about having to play to the track, are you intending play it completely from memory? If you are, good luck. My memory is horrible.

Doom is considerably slower, unless you want to go for a melodic hybrid like October Tide, Slumber or Swallow the Sun (all of which is excellent and is recommendable).

Here is a really good October Tide song, its melodic, slower, and not a lot of shredding going on. There are faster songs on the album if its too slow for you, just google the Rain Without End album. It's one of my favorite albums to jam to as well.

Well, eventually I plan on memorizing what I play. Anything can be played from memory with enough practice, it's just a matter of remebering a sequence of sequences. The concern of playing without a backing track is being able to replicate the song on my own eventually.

I was joking about doom metal, but that song is really good and sounds like it would be fun to play to.
03.07.2014 - 12:03
Sunioj

Written by Ganondox on 03.07.2014 at 04:44

I was joking about doom metal, but that song is really good and sounds like it would be fun to play to.

Hah. Well, it may be right up your alley since Melodic Death Metal is typically fast and this type of music is similar in melodicism but easier to start with.
03.07.2014 - 17:42
Ganondox

Written by Sunioj on 03.07.2014 at 12:03

Written by Ganondox on 03.07.2014 at 04:44

Hah. Well, it may be right up your alley since Melodic Death Metal is typically fast and this type of music is similar in melodicism but easier to start with.

Well melodeath isn't the only form of melodic metal, but yeah, good idea.
04.07.2014 - 00:52
Mattybu

Written by Mattybu on 28.06.2014 at 19:48

Really like most of the riffs in For Whom The Bell Tolls, so I'll be sure to check that out. As for Black Sabbath, wait, they have songs that are fast? I guess the Dio era, I've mainly only heard their early stuff. I'll try Into the Void out, as well as some other Black Sabbath songs. Also sounds like it has neat bass line, so I'll see if I can get my brother to learn it.

I said none of their early stuff is that fast. Bolded the exact line up there for you. Even the Black Sabbath solos are probably a good place to start when you wanna get into trying that stuff too, cause they are usually pretty straightforward and not too blazingly fast.

And yeah, Into the Void has a great bass line and is a very fun song to jam.
04.07.2014 - 11:11
Sunioj

Written by Ganondox on 03.07.2014 at 17:42

Well melodeath isn't the only form of melodic metal, but yeah, good idea.

True, but the only type that I am familiar with besides melodic doom that I play musically.
06.10.2014 - 23:25
Panterica

How about Alice in Chains? Angry Chair is a cool easy song, also Rain When I Die.
The Smoke by Amorphis is slow, easy and melodic. Can be said the same for Megadeth's Trust (if you ignore the classical guitar in the C part).
There's Soundgarden's Outshined. Just pay attention - although it's slow, it has a 7/4 measure in the verses which might be a little tricky.

Good luck!
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
18.11.2014 - 08:36
Ganondox

Written by Panterica on 06.10.2014 at 23:25

How about Alice in Chains? Angry Chair is a cool easy song, also Rain When I Die.
The Smoke by Amorphis is slow, easy and melodic. Can be said the same for Megadeth's Trust (if you ignore the classical guitar in the C part).
There's Soundgarden's Outshined. Just pay attention - although it's slow, it has a 7/4 measure in the verses which might be a little tricky.

Good luck!

I like Alice in Chains, I'll try Angry Chair. Anyway, got my guitar back awhile ago, first thing I'm gonna do is plow through the list.
03.12.2014 - 12:23
Wukk

The Smoke by Amorphis is slow, easy and melodic.

I second this. I'm a beginner at guitar as well (well, I've been playing on and off for a year now) and most of the songs I play are Amorphis songs. They're very beginner-friendly and I find them great fun.

Also, based on your profile, I'm going to suggest Breaking the Law.
----
If you're 666 then I'm 777
http://www.last.fm/user/Joodicator
16.02.2015 - 00:30
Ganondox

Written by Wukk on 03.12.2014 at 12:23

The Smoke by Amorphis is slow, easy and melodic.

I second this. I'm a beginner at guitar as well (well, I've been playing on and off for a year now) and most of the songs I play are Amorphis songs. They're very beginner-friendly and I find them great fun.

Also, based on your profile, I'm going to suggest Breaking the Law.

Now that I know the The Smoke, I have to say it's one of the awesomest songs I've ever heard, and thus I need to learn to play it. Also, I've tried Breaking the Law on my own, and I agree it's a good beginning song.