06. Sed Diabolus
07. Spoilt Vampire
08. Eternal Breeze
09. Mechanical Ethos
10. Encounter At Chronos' Maze
11. Indigo
12. Healing
13. Horizons

Diabulus In Musica seems to be one of those low-key bands that do things in a subtle way. There isn't much gushing or complaining about them, and their latest album had almost slipped by me. Perhaps it's the rather generic sounding band name, most potential listeners would dismiss them and not give them a chance when they actually already have two (TWO!!) much coveted nominations in the annual Metal Storm Awards under their belt.

Just like the previous album, Argia is a varied listening experience, keeping the audience engaged with the musical highs and lows. The growls are here once again on some tracks, and there's always a slight folky vibe tastefully scattered here and there while the symphonic metal backbone remains intact. Though my favourite track has got to be the hard-hitting "Mechanical Ethos", which surprised me the most with its minor industrial leanings. Those who find bands such as Delain being too simplistic and Epica being over-the-top should be as delighted as Goldilocks coming across her perfect middle ground. Instead of being vocal-centric like the former, or have instrumentations that sometimes go nowhere like the latter, Argia is an album that properly melds both together with class. It is one of those rare cases where the symphonic arrangements feel like a natural part of the music rather than being there for the sake of having to be there, with the appropriate instrument lending their tone to add genuine texture and grandeur to the music at the right moments.

As much as I enjoy genre bashing releases from the more extreme and underground releases, symphonic metal has always had a place on my regular playlists when the mood calls for it, and Argia will likely be the head-liner of mine for the symphonic metal style for the remainder of 2014.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 01.07.2014 by Ag Fox loves listening to music but is far from being a prolific writer. This corner just shows how territorial he is.

Guest review by
ChainOfSorrow
Rating:
As a huge lover of symphonic metal, I've been curious about Diabulus In Musica ever since they emerged, but the truth is they never really captured much of my attention and Argia proves there's a reason for that.

Read more ››
published 02.06.2014 | Comments (3)

Comments

Comments: 5   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 147 users
01.07.2014 - 21:56
Rating: 10
Ismarmlp

The best of 2014!!!
01.07.2014 - 23:08
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Zuberoa should really consider making a DiM album singing only in spanish. The spanish songs are much better than the english one (except for the colaboration with Vikstrom).
02.07.2014 - 18:18
PocketMetal

Well if you want something between Delain and Epica, I think Xandria is a better choice than this ( I still think Epica have released the best symphonic metal album this year tho ). DiM's best album was the debut, maybe because of the surprise factor. Now they are just stagnating.
03.07.2014 - 05:04
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Anything like Leaves' Eyes? That's about all my experience with symphonic/power metal. Nice job, thanks for the review.
----
rekt
04.07.2014 - 16:00
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by tea[m]ster on 03.07.2014 at 05:04

Anything like Leaves' Eyes? That's about all my experience with symphonic/power metal. Nice job, thanks for the review.
stylistically similar, I suppose. Liv's voice is more recognisable, but the compositions here are better written to my ears =P
----
loves 小巫

Hits total: 3396 | This month: 8