Metal Storm logo
Favorite 'A Song Of Ice And Fire' Book (Warning: Spoiler thread!)

Original post

Posted by APOHAKC, 28.01.2007 - 22:13
I am big fan of this book, I think George R.R. Martin wrote real masterpiece and I can't wait for new book.
You can write your opinion of every book or your opinion of Martin's world generaly.
I would also be very interesting to hear your opinion what will happen in the next book.
So if you are fan of this book please write everything you want...
Have Fun!
[img]J:\Slike\Song Of Ice And Fire\A Clash Of Kings.jpg[/img] [img]J:\Slike\Song Of Ice And Fire\A Feast For Crows.jpg[/img]
[img]J:\Slike\Song Of Ice And Fire\A Game Of Thrones.jpg[/img] [img]J:\Slike\Song Of Ice And Fire\A Storm Of Swords.jpg[/img]

Poll

What is your favorite Song Of Ice And Fire Book?

A Storm Of Swords (2000)
A Game Of Thrones (1996)
A Clash Of Kings (1998)
A Feast For Crows (2005)

Total votes: 15
01.09.2010 - 13:36
Rannew
Account deleted
Wow, I've only just recently discovered this series - on the second book now. It's so good!! I havn't read a book for a very long time that I've enjoyed this much, so it's brilliant I still have loads more to read...

I started reading the comments in this forum and read too much about what's to come - don't want to know anymore! So I can't really reply to anyone but just wanted to say just how good this series is. I'd recommend it to everyone!
06.05.2011 - 16:29
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Oh dear God, thank you he finnished the fifth book. Can't believe it.

BTW for all of you who read all the books, did you read the "Dunk and Egg" stories. 3 Short stories set in Westeros, some 100 years before Robert's Rebellion... very cool stuff.
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
13.05.2011 - 22:52
Golden Wing
Written by RhaegarTargaryen on 06.05.2011 at 16:29

BTW for all of you who read all the books, did you read the "Dunk and Egg" stories. 3 Short stories set in Westeros, some 100 years before Robert's Rebellion... very cool stuff.

Unfortunately ,I've only read 'Hedge Knight' out of other stories about Dunk and Egg.. because I cannot find the rest in English, and Russian translation really sucks..
Even in a short story Martin managed to create such catchy and unpredictable storyline.. I was very-very surprised when Egg turned out to be one of Targaryens.. it really shocked me.

And has anyone seen TV-series Game of Thrones?
14.05.2011 - 01:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Golden Wing on 13.05.2011 at 22:52

One of my former co-workers at a book store loves the books (like...really loves them...) and says the TV series has done an excellent job re-creating the story and for the most part, sticking to the story without changing anything or omitting anything significant.

And of course Sean Bean is an awesome actor.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.05.2011 - 20:26
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Written by Golden Wing on 13.05.2011 at 22:52

Written by RhaegarTargaryen on 06.05.2011 at 16:29

Unfortunately ,I've only read 'Hedge Knight' out of other stories about Dunk and Egg.. because I cannot find the rest in English, and Russian translation really sucks..
Even in a short story Martin managed to create such catchy and unpredictable storyline.. I was very-very surprised when Egg turned out to be one of Targaryens.. it really shocked me.

Well actually I managed to find all 3 novels in word/pdf format. I would buy them but I can't find them here, so unlike books (I read english versions, there's Serbian but I'm not into it really). So if you can manage to read on you computer, you can easily find all 3 of them
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
16.05.2011 - 12:37
Golden Wing
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.05.2011 at 01:17

One of my former co-workers at a book store loves the books (like...really loves them...) and says the TV series has done an excellent job re-creating the story and for the most part, sticking to the story without changing anything or omitting anything significant.

And of course Sean Bean is an awesome actor.

Well, I've noticed there are two kinds of people: those who really love Song of Fire and Ice and those who didn't get into it.. I don't know why but this saga is usually labeled as 'fantasy', though it is not so at all.. that's why some people after reading the first book feel like being cheated, as it is anything else but 'fantasy'..
Concerning TV series.. unfortunately, they did not make full length movies.. I enjoy series as well, I'm glad that in general sotry-line was not changed, and Martin himself took a great part in actors casting.. but still.. if it were a movie, I think more people would know about such brilliant author..
As I know even Game of Thrones would last like 3 LOTR movies, if it were a movie..

Written by RhaegarTargaryen on 14.05.2011 at 20:26

Well actually I managed to find all 3 novels in word/pdf format. I would buy them but I can't find them here, so unlike books (I read english versions, there's Serbian but I'm not into it really). So if you can manage to read on you computer, you can easily find all 3 of them

The problem is I don't like reading neither on computer nor on some e-books.. I still like the feeling of a real book in my hands
Our Russian translators are so slow, it took them a year to translate the Feast for Crows.. and even then they managed to make mistakes: they translated only a half of last chapter about Brienne and its ending was unlike in English version..
23.09.2011 - 17:04
Vombatus
Potorro
Last week I finished reading a Feast for Crows... and as always I was blown away. Definitely the best series of books I read since the first three of The Horus Heresy.

I really liked all the books, the first one maybe being my favorite, coz it's the beginning, the setting and blablablala and also coz it's the one with less "fantasy magic wankery" (I like magic, dragons & shit, but in moderate amounts ). The last 100 pages of a Storm of Swords are also difficult to top, I can't imagine another author that puts so much spice and twists with his "main characters".

Also got my copy of a Dance With Dragons and gonna devour it now ! Anyone read it yet ? I have the feeling it's not gonna be so unpredictable since timelines are fucked-up but I'm curious to see what Tyrion does, and Victorian has a pretty epic journey in front of him.
04.11.2011 - 23:13
Mikyz
There's no contest for me, it's Fucking S Storm of Swords, the sheer scope of epicness and clashes and plot twists are just so unexpected, it just mkes me that more psyched for the rest. The worst one is easily A Feast of Crows. And as second best it's either A Game Of Thrones or A Dance with Dragons.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
04.11.2011 - 23:25
Mikyz
Written by Golden Wing on 16.05.2011 at 12:37

Well, I've noticed there are two kinds of people: those who really love Song of Fire and Ice and those who didn't get into it.. I don't know why but this saga is usually labeled as 'fantasy', though it is not so at all.. that's why some people after reading the first book feel like being cheated, as it is anything else but 'fantasy'..

In what universe is A Song of Ice and Fire not fantasy, even though some might call it fantasy for non-fantasy readers it is in fact fantasy, there all the factors magic for one, legendary beings such as giants, dragons, skin changers, white walkers... there is really no doubt that this fantasy. But if some fantasy readers might be turned off by it I highly doubt it, I'm pretty sure no fantasy reader might frightened off by its scope there are some fantasy series that are much bigger and much harder to get into such as, A Malazan Book of the Fallen, but I don't think it makes it any less of a fantasy book. I don't doubt that it's easier for non-fantasy readers might find this easier to rap their heads around when compared to other more direct fantasy books. The first book might not follow the usual fantasy book's recipe as in it does show much "magic", but it does build up to one such climax, with the appearance of the white walkers and the "coming-of-age" of Daenerys and the emergence of the dragons in the end. I'm rambling mostly and being a bit incoherent but my point is it is incontrovertibly fantasy.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.