Metal Storm logo
The Notorious B.I.G.

04.07.2014 - 07:37
Jtbmetal123
Does anybody like Notorious B.I.G.? I really think hes a great rapper and a legend in the rap game.
04.07.2014 - 11:34
IronAngel
Well, he's pretty much a no-brainer for anyone looking to get into hip hop - one of the first I checked out. At times he's a bit too sleazy and poppy for me - but then again, there's something hilarious about the self-absorbed chorus of "Please Biggie, give me one more chance." I am more into the ugly grit and grime of Wu-Tang, but obviously Biggie's still in the highest tiers of 90s rap. Granted, I've only scratched the surface of the genre.
04.07.2014 - 18:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Never liked his stuff - I know he's highly regarded and is generally thought of us one of the best rappers to ever grace the planet but I always thought his rhymes were pretty simple and while it's commonplace for rappers to be self-aggrandizing I just never understood where he was coming from. I think the East Coast had better offerings than what Biggie put out - Mobb Deep, Nas, Mos Def, Big L, and Ghostface Killah to name a few.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
04.07.2014 - 19:03
Mattybu
I would say Ready To Die is pretty much essential listening as far as entry level stuff goes. Problem with that album is that while there are really great tracks there is lots of filler too, although that is a problem with lots of rap albums and albums in any genre.

I've never seen Life After Death for a reasonable price so I don't own it but I know it has plenty of filler as well. But he was a good rapper, lots of iconic songs.
04.07.2014 - 19:10
Ilham
Giant robot
I don't think I ever listened to a complete album by him after I turned 16, I just completely forgot about him. I'm still wondering if I should watch the movie they made about his life. Got pretty bad reviews and scores. Anyone seen it?
04.07.2014 - 19:15
Mattybu
Written by Ilham on 04.07.2014 at 19:10

I don't think I ever listened to a complete album by him after I turned 16, I just completely forgot about him. I'm still wondering if I should watch the movie they made about his life. Got pretty bad reviews and scores. Anyone seen it?

I watched a good chunk of Notorious, if that's the movie you're talking about. Honestly I didn't like what I saw, despite liking his music. It was weird to see pseudo Biggie lookalike actor guy rapping and it just felt kind of fake at times. And even though it obviously is fake, like any movie it's just actors acting, certain things took me out of the experience is what I mean, and you start realizing and thinking about the fact you are watching a movie which is not always good.

Watched it on BET, that's my channel yo.
04.07.2014 - 19:23
Ilham
Giant robot
Okay Matty. So it's a no. Only 1091 titles to watch then. I had a discussion about him like a couple months ago and I couldn't remember the details of his murder, I thought watching the movie would be a good idea for that. I'll just read an article
Totally off-topic. André 3000 from OutKast is going to incarnate Jimi Hendrix on big screen.
04.07.2014 - 19:32
Mattybu
Yeah there's tons of articles out there and I don't think the movie really sheds much new light on it. The whole thing is pretty stupid anyways and it's a shame he died so young and in that way.

Also, Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix sounds like potential to be a disaster.
07.07.2014 - 16:17
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Ready to Die is a masterpiece in Golden Era hip/hop. Respect, gimme the Loot, Things Done Changed, Juicy, Me & My Bitch, Machine Gun Fuck, Warning and Sucidal thoughts are all fantastic tracks, the other few a pretty much filler but if you take the ones listed it makes a perfect album by itself.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
07.07.2014 - 18:04
Mattybu
Written by Boxcar Willy on 07.07.2014 at 16:17

Ready to Die is a masterpiece in Golden Era hip/hop. Respect, gimme the Loot, Things Done Changed, Juicy, Me & My Bitch, Machine Gun Fuck, Warning and Sucidal thoughts are all fantastic tracks, the other few a pretty much filler but if you take the ones listed it makes a perfect album by itself.

I consider Respect, Things Done Changed, and Me & My Bitch filler, or at the very least among the worst tracks. lol @ the type on Machine Gun Funk too haha. But I agree with the rest.

To replace those 3 I'd put in Big Poppa, Everyday Struggles (I find the contrast between this song and Juicy back to back in actually an essential part of the album), and I guess The What, although even that song I hardly listen to.
07.07.2014 - 22:09
Stoned Crow
Other than the intro and the sex skit, there is absolutely no filler to Ready to Die. The same goes for Illmatic. Those two albums are, in my opinion, the gems of the 90s. Are there many others, yes; however, those two albums are pinnacle- especially Illmatic. I remember when I first bought that album, I got it at the flea market for a dollar. Ha- shit. I'm old. Illmatic is where it's at.
----
I'm very serious about not being serious.
08.07.2014 - 18:31
Mattybu
Written by Stoned Crow on 07.07.2014 at 22:09

Other than the intro and the sex skit, there is absolutely no filler to Ready to Die. The same goes for Illmatic. Those two albums are, in my opinion, the gems of the 90s. Are there many others, yes; however, those two albums are pinnacle- especially Illmatic. I remember when I first bought that album, I got it at the flea market for a dollar. Ha- shit. I'm old. Illmatic is where it's at.

I'll give you Illmatic, not much filler there. But Ready To Die is just full of it, in my opinion anyways I never EVER listen to it in it's entirety anymore. Almost an hour and 10 minutes and 17 songs is just too much and despite a really good bunch of them some are really average/unexciting.

I still think it's a classic though.