Release date: March 2014

01. Veil 3102
02. A Circle In The Ice
03. Kingdom Of Thyne Illusions
04. Quantum Leap
05. ExtraWorld
06. White Logic
07. Memoirs Of The Abyss
08. The Watchtower (A Dream Of Chivalry...)
09. Dissonant Hearts
10. Away

Y'all know that I have a weak point regarding my own country's power metal. Then, if it's well done, it's better that way.

Well, now that I've scared the shit out of the 90% of you, let's talk to the remaining. Two years after their promising debut The White Path To Rebirth, 4th Dimension make their comeback with another long title, Dispelling The Veil Of Illusions. Now, I don't know about the illusions, but this release should definitely dispel the veil of your doubts, as the Italian quintet reveal themselves as a rising force to be reckoned with.

Those who had the pleasure to listen to 4th Dimension's debut will find crystal clear how this sophomore album is more mature, down-to-earth and less ambitious than its predecessor, and will gladly realize how the band is progressively distancing its style from the likes of Angra and Stratovarius. Even if the influence of these bands and others of the genre's behemoths, such as their compatriots Labyrinth, is still noticeable here, Dispelling The Veil Of Illusions sees the guys finding their own recognizable sound, carried coherently throughout the whole album.

The band sticks to the kind of colourful and luminous power metal enriched by bits and pieces of prog that we have seen many times, but makes all this its own, mainly thanks to Andrea Bicego's educated and not unnecessarily high-pitched vocals and Talete Fusaro's stellar work at the keys.

These last deserve a special mention, since - no offense to anyone of the band's members, as they all did an excellent job - I'd gladly listen to all of the album even if it was a one-man show starring the keyboardist. His instrument often takes the place of the guitars, being the pillar around which the songs are built and leads the majority of the solos. But other than the rather technical soloing, what most fascinates are the simple, trivial ideas, that have an ear-worm factor and infiltrate the listener's head, and never leave. This, added to the keys' perfect sound, metallic and distinguishable, definitely gives the album a higher gear.

Every album of this kind relies an awful lot on the production, which here is almost flawless, providing a full and modern sound, even if sometimes there's the feeling that the drums could have been pushed a little more to give the music more power, like what happened in Luca Turilli's Rhapsody debut release Ascending To Infinity. Leaving this aside, the production manages to capture all the facets of 4th Dimension's music, also the unconventional ones, such as the 80's electronic dance elements that can be enjoyed in "Extraworld".

The album mainly stays steady on a fast pace, but doesn't disdain some rest, as in the cadenced "White Logic", the dramatic and arpeggio-driven "Memoirs Of The Abyss" or the classic piano ballad "Away", which serves as a quiet and emotional farewell.

Dispelling The Veil Of Illusions isn't a release made by amateurs who play at being rockstars. Is an artistic creation that oozes with commitment and talent, and every fan of the genre should give these guys their well-deserved chance.

Written on 08.07.2014 by Hopefully you won't agree with me, diversity of opinions is what makes metal so beautiful and varied.

So... critics and advices absolutely welcome.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 77 users
08.07.2014 - 16:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I dig that artwork. I doubt I'll check this out though.
08.07.2014 - 17:14
Rating: 8
R Lewis

Written by Guest on 08.07.2014 at 16:38

I dig that artwork. I doubt I'll check this out though.

No surprise, it shouldn't suit your tastes at all
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.

Hits total: 5009 | This month: 11