03. Singularity
04. Emergent
05. Great Northern
06. The Stars Are Stigmata
07. A Little Spark
08. How We Built The Ocean
09. Something Like Avalanches
10. Your Time Will Come Again

Imaginative and inventive post-rock is really hard to come by these days, so when a band with a bright future delivers on their promise I want to get the word out. I want to let others know that even though the genre as a whole seems to be fizzling out, there are bands today that are trying really hard to keep hope alive for post fans.

Sleepmakeswaves are an all-instrumental outfit formed in Australia in 2006. They have been compared with other keynote instrumental post-rock bands like Mogwai, Explosions In The Sky, and Sigur Rós because of their huge debut record released in 2011 ...and so we destroyed everything. Three years in the making, Love Of Cartography expands on the talent shown in their first record and continues to build on its success. Sleepmakeswaves has been put on this pedestal because they have mastered the art of diligently balancing the fine line of soft/loud dynamics and have created a unique and unforgettable sound.

The first thing you will notice when listening to Love Of Cartography is the tempo of the songs. Unlike plodding and crescendo-style song structures that build up over time, the pep in the steps of the passages are mostly introduced at the outset of the songs. Very vibrant and uplifting, this type of consonance borders on the edge of post-metal; the use of tightly structured melodies and resonance brewed with layered guitars and deep bass lines. The sound is essentially a halcyon sound: moderately distorted but mainly flows by the use of electronics, ethereal string picking, and precocious and energetic drumming. A more modern approach to post-rock, Sleepmakeswaves sound pronounces a more indie/experimental aura.

Intense and captivating soundscapes aided by perfectly produced musical approaches and ideas are main integrals in Love Of Cartography. Every song, save a really short ambient respite, benefit from this transparent production by intensifying and broadening the overall dimensions and expression of the songs. Replay value is extremely high because of this and I am sure it will take many listens to fully understand the many goings-on in each song. Put on some headphones and get ready to be blown away by a ton of sophisticated nuances and fragments.

Sleepmakeswaves have made another fine record and are putting their own emphatic stamp on the post-rock world. Whether chilling on the couch, driving down the highway, or doing your daily exercise routine, Love Of Cartography is very well-rounded to be played no matter what type of mood you are in. My favorite time is sitting outside on the porch, during a breezy, mid-summer day, and letting my mind wander while listening; not a care in the world - and it feels great.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 14.07.2014 by Be gentle, I never said I was any good at this!

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 236 users
14.07.2014 - 11:53
Rating: 8
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Oh, I love the album cover too...perfect for the music.
----
rekt
14.07.2014 - 13:07
Abattoir

Will check this out. I'm always in for some fresh, original and experimental post-rock.
14.07.2014 - 14:25
R'Vannith
ghedengi
The post-man delivers, excellent review. This sounds very fresh for post-rock, and it's definitely a yearly highlight for me. Not least because it's Australian.
14.07.2014 - 14:50
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by R'Vannith on 14.07.2014 at 14:25

The post-man.

Best way to describe Jay. He is "The Post-Man".
14.07.2014 - 15:17
musclassia

Ah, didn't know these guys had found their way onto the website! Saw them play at Beyond The Redshift in London in February, they may not have been my favourite band of the day, but that's only because Cult of Luna followed them and pulled off pretty much the best live show I've ever seen. SMW delivered some divine music and made me an instant fan. I've been meaning to catch up on their past work - good to hear there'll be some worthy stuff to listen to once I've caught up to this release
14.07.2014 - 20:07
CyberSymphony
Ollie
This sounds really Really nice and quite relaxing too. Great!!
14.07.2014 - 20:47
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Thanks for the review it made me check that band, very good stuff!
15.07.2014 - 22:51
Evil Chip

Indeed, this sounds really refreshing, but also really good. I will try to listen to the whole thing.
29.01.2015 - 18:47
macadamia

Great album, great review. These guys are definitely worth checking out live - the emotion on their faces and connection with the audience is truly special! Favourite track: The Stars Are Stigmata

Hits total: 5181 | This month: 7