Metal Storm logo
Jeff Beck (A.N. Other)

18.07.2014 - 22:41
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Due to an exceedingly large number of requests by you the Metal Storm community, it is with great honor that I bring to you a nice little section of the online world to discuss another legendary/iconic rock musician by the name of Jeff Beck.

Wikipedia on JB: "He was ranked 5th in Rolling Stone's list of the "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time" and the magazine, upon whose cover Beck has appeared three times, has described him as "one of the most influential lead guitarists in rock".[3] MSNBC has called him a "guitarist's guitarist".[1] Beck has earned wide critical praise and received the Grammy Award for Best Rock Instrumental Performance six times and Best Pop Instrumental Performance once. He has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice: as a member of the Yardbirds (1992) and as a solo artist (2009)."

Seems like a pretty cool guy. What do you think?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.07.2014 - 22:56
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
With all wholeheartedly seriousness, my opinion is that one could discuss matters of single musicians on the respective genre threads, therefore making the creation of these recent threads somewhat redundant.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
18.07.2014 - 23:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
His body of work is more than large enough to dissect in a thread. Firstly, his solo work, which began before even Black Sabbath released their debut album, is still going strong to this day - his last album, Emotion & Commotion, being released in 2010. His first three albums are monumental and serve as an inspiration to plenty of contemporary guitarists.

And then of course there's his ties with Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page with the Yardbirds releases. While the band itself could use its own thread, Beck's work as a member is worthy of discussion in its own right as well.

He's covered a wide range of styles and is considered to be somewhat of a pioneer in regards to technique. His talents have been utilized by a multitude of musicians - with potential opportunities to take over full-time guitar duties in both Pink Floyd and the Stones.

While the initial creation of this thread was done more so out of humor than anything, it's not like he's some unknown random talentless hack. His body of work spans far beyond summarizing in a simple comment in a general rock thread.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.07.2014 - 23:32
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Karlabos on 18.07.2014 at 22:56

With all wholeheartedly seriousness, my opinion is that one could discuss matters of single musicians on the respective genre threads, therefore making the creation of these recent threads somewhat redundant.

Although I am partially to blame for the creation of this thread, I do think there is enough to say about him. We have tons that deal with the most anecdotic questions and bands. And I think the general music section that doesn't deal with anything metal is kinda dead. It's kinda disappointing really. Now, I don't know if multiplying them will attract any posters, but one can't be blamed for trying. Spite was reason enough for me, anyway .

I should go look for his stuff in the "family" CDs, so I can muster up a post that doesn't just rely on vague memories and misconceptions.
24.07.2014 - 02:32
Guib
Thrash Talker
Never heard of a *Jeff Beck* ... sounds very dangerous, what does it eat during winter? Or maybe it Hibernates...
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
24.07.2014 - 02:39
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
If you don't know Jeff Beck I suggest you read up on some rock history.

He's kind of a big deal. People know him.
----
25.07.2014 - 23:40
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.07.2014 at 02:39

If you don't know Jeff Beck I suggest you read up on some rock history.
He's kind of a big deal. People know him.

Haha, no but really, does it hibernates ?

*Of course I know Jeff Beck *
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
25.07.2014 - 23:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I feel like you're making a joke that I'm not getting.
----