01. Dark Side Of The Shroom (Intro)
02. Gastronomicon
03. Lettuce Prey
04. The Sound Of Mucus
05. Slimewave Zero
06. Invertahate
07. Salters Of Madness
08. Pax Aranea

You really can get away with a lot in the realm of metal. The sheer number of different themes central to various bands and genres is part of what keeps metal interesting for me. Whether it's a depressing retelling of nautical literature at the hands of Ahab or a tale of dragon-slaying told by Rhapsody Of Fire, there will always be a huge variety of sounds to be heard and stories to be told throughout the metal universe.

I say all this because Slugdge has let loose another slab of their particularly unique brand of blackened sluggy death metal. Tales of dark incantations to summon slug lords and more otherworldly slug-centered lyrics are some of the themes on display. Fortunately, similarly to their 2013 debut Born Of Slime, the new album Gastronomicon is another fine showing of when it comes to metal, even when the lyrical content of your band is very strange, if you step up to the task musically, it can really work.

If you heard Born Of Slime, the sound of Gastronomicon shouldn't come as too much of a shock. Once again, the general sound is dark, driven by a thick, dirty guitar tone. Even though Slugdge focus on one of the most glacially slow creatures out there thematically, the pace actually does pick up in the music quite often - waves of double bass to underscore the twisting guitar riffs and even the occasional blastbeat come into play here. The guitar work in general has stepped up since the last album, and the riffs and groove of the songs seem stronger than ever.

The biggest discernible change since Born Of Slime is a slightly more melodic overall sound. It's a welcome change for me, considering the melodies in songs like "Killing Fields" really added to them, and here we have songs like "Lettuce Prey" that take it even further - and sound great doing so.

All in all, Gastronomicon is an excellent album. The ambitious amount of detail added to the songs since their debut really paid off, and as a result, Slugdge have kept their distinct sound intact while expanding upon it and offering more for the listener. It doesn't lose focus or momentum throughout listening, and each song brings out something worthwhile to the table. This album should be slithering its way through the eardrums of many for a long time to come.

It's also worth noting the band is generous enough to offer it at a name-your-price rate on their bandcamp page. I'd encourage anyone interesting in downloading the album to send a few bucks their way, as the album is definitely worth it and they put lots of work into making it sound perfectly slimy.

Written by Mattybu | 23.07.2014

Comments

Comments: 19   Visited by: 217 users
23.07.2014 - 06:52
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Okay, I definitely need to hear this. With a more melodic sound it looks like it'll be my way into the sluggy realm.
23.07.2014 - 18:16
Rating: 9
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Yep. Excellent indeed. A few degrees shy of being a masterpiece but definitely compelling for Slugdge fans.
23.07.2014 - 18:25
Rating: 8
Ilham
Giant robot
Agree with the review, it's definitely something to listen to if you liked the debut.
23.07.2014 - 22:44
Mattybu

Written by R'Vannith on 23.07.2014 at 06:52

Okay, I definitely need to hear this. With a more melodic sound it looks like it'll be my way into the sluggy realm.

Yeah man, there's NO EXCUSE to not give it a go. It's not just melody either, it's melody with purpose.

And to the other 2 commenters: I'm glad you agree that this album is boss.
24.07.2014 - 03:32
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Mattybu on 23.07.2014 at 22:44

Yeah man, there's NO EXCUSE to not give it a go. It's not just melody either, it's melody with purpose.

And needless to say, our slug overlords must be appropriately venerated >:[
25.07.2014 - 01:46
Zap
Fuck, intergalactic slugs were never this awesome.
25.07.2014 - 02:07
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Zap on 25.07.2014 at 01:46

Intergalactic slugs were never awesome?

25.07.2014 - 02:12
Zap
Written by Guest on 25.07.2014 at 02:07

Written by Zap on 25.07.2014 at 01:46

Intergalactic slugs were never awesome?

I did say "never this awesome." Not "never awesome."
But...
Nope. Star Wars doesn't make me as wet in the pants as it does most sci-fi/fantasy fans.
25.07.2014 - 06:47
Rating: 9
Chobo_jokeR

Glad I finally got around to listening to this beast of an album. Love the intensity and diversity.
25.07.2014 - 17:59
I checked this out just because of the theme. So glad I did. I'll be kicking these guys some money. Killer album. Great diversity throughout, lots of headbanging moments and I love the harmonized vocals. Definitely on my best of 2014 list. My favorites right now are probably the first and last tracks, but each one really does have some standout moments.
25.07.2014 - 18:30
Mattybu

Written by Chobo_jokeR on 25.07.2014 at 06:47

Glad I finally got around to listening to this beast of an album. Love the intensity and diversity.

It is very good, and I'm glad more people are realizing how excellent this band is

Written by HitokiriNate85 on 25.07.2014 at 17:59

I checked this out just because of the theme. So glad I did. I'll be kicking these guys some money. Killer album. Great diversity throughout, lots of headbanging moments and I love the harmonized vocals. Definitely on my best of 2014 list. My favorites right now are probably the first and last tracks, but each one really does have some standout moments.

Agreed, lots of diversity and different elements from a few genres are mixed in here but it all works great. I'd say Lettuce Prey is probably my favourite track as of now but that could very well change.
26.07.2014 - 01:20
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I like this. Good mixture of melody and sludge. Different for sure. Pretty amazing to find such a top notch release in the "name your price" realm. Nice job Matty - and thanks.
----
rekt
26.07.2014 - 01:23
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Actually the more I listen to Slugdge the less sludge I hear about it. It's more like "slightly sludgened black/death"
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
26.07.2014 - 01:41
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Karlabos on 26.07.2014 at 01:23
It's more like "slightly sludgened black/death"
Stop hurting my eyes with that ugly word. But I agree.
26.07.2014 - 01:43
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Ilham on 26.07.2014 at 01:41

Stop hurting my eyes with that ugly word.

Slugdgened, then?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
26.07.2014 - 01:47
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Karlabos on 26.07.2014 at 01:43
Slugdgened, then?
Submit it to the band and I'm sure they'll start using it.
26.07.2014 - 02:21
Mattybu

Written by tea[m]ster on 26.07.2014 at 01:20

Pretty amazing to find such a top notch release in the "name your price" realm. Nice job Matty - and thanks.

Agreed, Slugdge seems to me like quite a do-it-yourself operation which is impressive seeing as their new album fricken destroys a large quantity of the new music being released by big labels.

And you're welcome for whatever you're thanking me for... writing the review I guess. Glad you liked it
26.07.2014 - 12:45
Zap
Written by Mattybu on 26.07.2014 at 02:21

And you're welcome for whatever you're thanking me for... writing the review I guess.

That, and SPREADING THE WORD OF MOLLUSCA!
26.07.2014 - 20:24
Mattybu

Written by Zap on 26.07.2014 at 12:45

That, and SPREADING THE WORD OF MOLLUSCA!

All hail the Greatfather

Hits total: 5549 | This month: 9