Metal Storm logo
Your Custom Instrument

30.01.2007 - 16:05
Soliloquy
well, i got bored, yet again....shocking, isnt it?!

anywho, so, if you were to make your own custom instrument, what would it be? or, imagine you are some super guitarist like Alexi or someone who is being endorsed by Jackson, or ESP, or RAN or soemthing, and you want them to make a custom guitar for you. what would it have? or, if you are a luither, what would your guitar consist of? let it be a pure fantasy, or soemthing that is possible. whatever instrument, perhaps a Didgeridoo attached to your drum set?

for me, i sure would love to have a guitar that is also a weapon, like this guy:

but, since i'm no good with knives, i would consider the following:

a guitar with a rhandy roads (a Rhandy Roads 3D VEE!) body, made of preferably aluminum. and a hollow body to give it super light weight(but without those F wholes on the body of the guitar to make it look like a semi hollow guitar!), and also a sort of acoustic playability. its neck would also be made of aluminum. its fret board, would be of ebony, with 24 frets, and a mother-o-pearl gothic-christian-esq cross running from the 10th to the 17th fret, with its horizontal cross on the 12th fret. and all the other frets(3,5,7,9,19,21,24) wont have anything on em. the head stock, would sort of look like a jackson headstock. pickups would be one EMG hum on the bridge. the bridge would be a SINGLE-locking floyd rose bridge.

in the end, you would have a body looking something likethis guy:

its head stock:

and its fret would look like this:

i can actually get that dream instrument MADE by this local luither. only problem is that he prolly wont like the gutiar to be made of aluminum. so i'd prolly have to settle for a guitar with maybe alder wood body, and perhaps a maple neck. and i can get that for around 1500 dollars. which, i say isnt all TOO bad considering Alexi's ESP guitar is for about the same price. only difference would be that he would have the ESP name to it. where as my guitar would be unique to just ME.

so, name your instrument, and what would it be like? describe it. ignore the color, and thats no biggie. the body, the material and all.
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
30.01.2007 - 16:14
Sunioj

Best custom guitar Ive seen, so brutal it is also used by Karl Sanders as a spear against hooligans jumping onstage past security!
31.01.2007 - 14:57
Valentin B
Iconoclast
@hellraizer: LOL!! now that is truly the most brutal looking guitar i've seen.
but if i wanted anything custom made, it would be a gibson les paul(standard body) with a floyd rose tremolo and two "endless sustain" humbuckers, and zero fret buzz. the next on my list would be a amp with knobs going up to 11 and a brutal distorsion pedal also with knobs going up to 11
31.01.2007 - 19:03
Too many fail.
Speaking of fugly instruments....

http://www.bunnybass.com
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
19.02.2007 - 20:11
WarriorOfMetal
I'm working on building a custom 7-string for myself. the body shape is sort of a modified super-strat shape (it's a bit more aggressive looking, i incorporated some B.C. Rich influence in it), the headstock is a stylized dragon's head, the pickguard will look sort of wing-like. it's going to be white with a black pickguard, black and chrome hardware, an Original Floyd Rose (for 7-string, of course). the body will be mahogany, the neck will be maple and wenge with an ebony fingerboard, and there will be white binding on the fingerboard, and no inlays.
19.02.2007 - 23:01
Too many fail.
Written by WarriorOfMetal on 19.02.2007 at 20:11

I'm working on building a custom 7-string for myself. the body shape is sort of a modified super-strat shape (it's a bit more aggressive looking, i incorporated some B.C. Rich influence in it), the headstock is a stylized dragon's head, the pickguard will look sort of wing-like. it's going to be white with a black pickguard, black and chrome hardware, an Original Floyd Rose (for 7-string, of course). the body will be mahogany, the neck will be maple and wenge with an ebony fingerboard, and there will be white binding on the fingerboard, and no inlays.

Show it to us when youre done pls..
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
20.02.2007 - 02:12
WarriorOfMetal
should be done sometime in may or june, but i'll try to remember to post pics here when it's done.
21.02.2007 - 18:52
Soliloquy
Written by WarriorOfMetal on 20.02.2007 at 02:12

should be done sometime in may or june, but i'll try to remember to post pics here when it's done.

yeah, i second that. i'd like to see the pictures
----

-Zakk Wylde
07.05.2007 - 19:38
Nusk
Hey WarriorOfMetal, how are you doing with your guitar ?
14.05.2007 - 04:59
WarriorOfMetal
progress has been pretty slow, i'm way behind where i wanted to be at this point. i have the neck and most of the parts, but i still need to make the body, get the pickguard made, find someone to do the paint and finish work, and i'm also in talks with a company about getting some new pickups made, which i want to use. i've also made a couple changes to the idea. it's going to have an alder body now, instead of mahogany, and i've changed my mind about the pickups to use.
16.05.2007 - 05:38
Soliloquy
supposedly if you take your guitar to a garage of some sort, they should paint your guitar. but you'd have to look into that. not all garage owners are too friendly
----

-Zakk Wylde
16.05.2007 - 19:35
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Did any of you see 'The Pick Of Destiny' with Tenacious D?

That acoustic guitar.. that one is awesome!
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
16.05.2007 - 19:40
Hatebreeder_509
Account deleted
hey heres a good site for desighning your own guitars , show us what youve made upload us a pic or two heres the site ... have fun

http://www.jcfonline.com/resources/csgen/JCFCustomShop.htm
18.05.2007 - 00:41
WarriorOfMetal
Written by Soliloquy on 16.05.2007 at 05:38

supposedly if you take your guitar to a garage of some sort, they should paint your guitar. but you'd have to look into that. not all garage owners are too friendly

i've thought of that as a possibility, but i would prefer to have it done by someone who is familiar with doing this work on guitars.
18.05.2007 - 17:23
Soliloquy
Written by Lucas on 16.05.2007 at 19:35

yeah...but one thing that screwed it up with that its fret board had WAY too many symbols, and they were all different. and that 'JB' ont he bottom with the tunder bolts messed it up. but here:

one day....just one day, id own a dillion guitar...not that they are too expensive. but still, dillions kick my ass!
----

-Zakk Wylde
18.05.2007 - 17:31
Soliloquy
Written by WarriorOfMetal on 18.05.2007 at 00:41

i've thought of that as a possibility, but i would prefer to have it done by someone who is familiar with doing this work on guitars.

find someone with a spray gun, or buy one yourself, and do it yourself. but in my opinion, autostores would have better paint selection, and quality. you'd even be able to find it in glitter or some other paint. would make it really different...unless you want some art on it. but either way, your guitar.
----

-Zakk Wylde
18.05.2007 - 21:09
WarriorOfMetal
Written by Soliloquy on 18.05.2007 at 17:31

Written by WarriorOfMetal on 18.05.2007 at 00:41

find someone with a spray gun, or buy one yourself, and do it yourself. but in my opinion, autostores would have better paint selection, and quality. you'd even be able to find it in glitter or some other paint. would make it really different...unless you want some art on it. but either way, your guitar.

i actually have a book about how to do it myself, which i read through, and it doesn't seem to be too terribly difficult, but i don't have the space or time to do it myself, plus the book i have talks about doing it with lacquer, which will have problems with guitar stands and cases and such. I'd like to try to find somewhere that can do catalyzed polyurethane, so that it'll cure quickly and won't have issues with stands or cases or anything. it may mean going to an auto shop to have it done, but i'd still prefer to have someone more familiar with guitars do it. i'm not looking for any crazy colors or anything....just a solid white. i'm told, however, that solid white is hard to make come out well, because it shows all the imperfections that turn up during the paint/finishing process, so it may end up costing me a bit more.
05.06.2007 - 09:18
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Well, not a guitar but a bass instead

For The body I would have A Rickenbacker black body (except Id probably have grey trimming & pick guards):

For my neck I would definitly use the one off of the Peavey Millenium BXP (yes a peavey, my first bass and I have yet to find a neck as good as this on on any other bass Ive tried)
For my head I would use the head off of the BC Rich Beast, pretty sinister looking head.
But for pickups I would definitly have gibson thunderbird pick ups.

What a beautiful bass that would be...
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
05.06.2007 - 22:04
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Umm.....hmm....Well, I guess something with a thin yet durable neck, good sturdy body with a gloss black finish, A stratocaster body, and some really awsome pickups.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
12.06.2007 - 08:26
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
Ive been thinking about getting a body/neck and just doing my own paint scheme to it... i cant fathom actually making the guitar... too much work, not enough tools... and ill be DAMNED if im payin the price a custom sculptor would charge for something like that... hell, a bare strat body is like $100+... ive thought about doing a custom stain job followed by a nice laquer clearcoat... leaving it natural, maybe implementing some vinyl graphics under the laquer... if i did a strat body i would definitely want to do an EVH to it and slap some humbuckers in it... but if i did that, i would do it a smidge better than he did... anyone ever look at the frankenstein? what a poor attempt at fabrication that was..... lol looked like shit.... sorry to all the van halen fans (if there are any) but that dudes guitar looks like someones woodshop flunk project...

edited to add: speaking on ugly guitars.... anyone ever see prince's guitar? (O_O) wow dude... just wow...
20.10.2008 - 23:10
WarriorOfMetal
Written by Too many fail. on 19.02.2007 at 23:01

Written by WarriorOfMetal on 19.02.2007 at 20:11

Show it to us when youre done pls..

soooo it's actually been playable for a couple months now, but in case people are still interested in seeing it, here it is:

21.10.2008 - 04:30
thesabbathfan
I want to build a bass one day =D

that would be fucken sweetness man

but I know nothing of the inside circuity of a guitar so thats an obstacle =
----
21.10.2008 - 10:36
Sunioj
^^That's a pretty godly custom guitar right there!
21.10.2008 - 18:48
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen

this bass is all that encompasses RIDICULOUS.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
22.10.2008 - 23:12
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@LeChron James: That bass guitar is actually really awesome looking...fuck, I'd play that thing onstage any day! I love the colors and the whole bird soaring in the sky thing...that's a beautiful bass guitar...nice bird body...
22.11.2008 - 23:29
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Lucas on 16.05.2007 at 19:35

i saw Tenacious D LIVE while touring for "The Pick of Destiny".
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
23.11.2008 - 18:46
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I thought a little about this lately, and i thought that when i get enough money why don't i create the best studio/practice guitar ever. it's a les paul body, only it's gonna be at least TWICE the width of a normal les paul, with an ebony fingerboard and mahogany neck through body and string through body fixed bridge configuration. the body should be, like i said, really chunky with the best mahogany money can buy(ironically i heard that high quality mahogany is actually pretty light), with a 1/4 maple top. also, it's gonna have a H-S-H pickup configuration, with a SD custom 5 in the bridge, a Sustainiac in the middle, and a SD Jazz or 59 in the neck. also great electronics and hardware goes without saying. the reason i want the chunky body and fucked up neck is because i want it to have as much natural sustain as possible. then coupled with the Sustainiac pickup, it would play like a dream.

another guitar i'd like would either be a king v, flying v or sg shape, made specifically for HEEEAVY METUUHL BABEAHHH, with SD Blackouts pickups, floyd rose type bridge, and super light in weight(made of the aforementioned expensive mahogany)